Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Andrew Alberts is getting a bit underrated here. His poor stretches were similar to Gudbranson's level of play, but unlike Gudbranson, his toughness and physicality was actually tangible and came in handy, and he had decent stretches where he legitimately played well within his limitations and was a useful 6th defenseman.

I didn't particularly care for him as a player and he was definitely well below average, but he doesn't really deserve to be consistently lumped together with the Sbisa's and Gudbranson's of the world, IMO.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Not many teams in the NHL have good defenseman 5 through 8.

i wouldn't pay one 4 million or target one via trade unless it was a rental for depth on a contender.

Whats done is done and unfortunately JB saddled himself to his mistake as he's done before with Sbisa. Gudbranson seems like a pretty solid person and it would be great if he could find a degree of consistency that doesn't hurt the team too much. Quite frankly i don't trust this player as the stakes go higher.

Obviously he's really tough and i like that after whistles he turns noses to the bench.....i've come to grips with what it is...i dont hate the person and i hope some day soon he backs his bravado with a performance that adheres him to his teammates and the fanbase. It's the most i can hope for.....we'll that and the decreasing likelihood that we get anything of value asset wise back someday.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Alberts is pretty good comp for EG relativeto the era. I shudder to think of how he would handle the faster game of 2018 though.

Matt Greene was apretty good gamer for LA in that era could you imagine him playing successfully today....i can't?

Gudbranson isn't a terrible straight line skater, if he could learn to just stay closer to the net and not chase the play he could do himself a big favor.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Andrew Alberts is getting a bit underrated here. His poor stretches were similar to Gudbranson's level of play, but unlike Gudbranson, his toughness and physicality was actually tangible and came in handy, and he had decent stretches where he legitimately played well within his limitations and was a useful 6th defenseman.

I didn't particularly care for him as a player and he was definitely well below average, but he doesn't really deserve to be consistently lumped together with the Sbisa's and Gudbranson's of the world, IMO.

I agree. I've said this over the years. Alberts sucks as a 7th Dman but is great as a 5th or 6th Dman. He's not like Biega who can sit out and come in and perform. Alberts needs time to get his timing down. I think Alberts is a very good Dman who is limited by his talent level. Sbisa and Gudbranson I think are more or less limited by their hockey IQ.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This guy is such a mess. Makes his only good play of he game on a set up pass to Hutton and then follows it up by blasting Boeser with his inaccurate shot. It's just like the high stick, was his teammates and then cross checks Oshie to the ice which subsequently ends with a puck being pulled from our net. Vrana went around him like a pylon and most of his passes were just inaccurate junk off target or in skates. It's actually comical how bad he is far too often.

Can you say buy out candidate

Reactions: Pavel96

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
This guy is such a mess. Makes his only good play of he game on a set up pass to Hutton and then follows it up by blasting Boeser with his inaccurate shot. It's just like the high stick, was his teammates and then cross checks Oshie to the ice which subsequently ends with a puck being pulled from our net. Vrana went around him like a pylon and most of his passes were just inaccurate junk off target or in skates. It's actually comical how bad he is far too often.

Give him a raise!

Reactions: brokenhole

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006

You can pretty much cue up the Benny Hill theme whenever he's on the ice. Like you say, it's just a comedy of errors. Unbelievable how bad he is. Literally (and using that word correctly here) worse than Sbisa.

Reactions: Pavel96

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You can pretty much cue up the Benny Hill theme whenever he's on the ice. Like you say, it's just a comedy of errors. Unbelievable how bad he is. Literally (and using that word correctly here) worse than Sbisa.
yes i used to think maybe i have'nt seen enough or he's been injured so i would defend him a little.

Sbisa was way better. better skater, better self depreciating sense of humour, better at staying with guys 1 on 1, better offensively. Sbisa would just have the pizza moments and didn't look imposing and couldn't fight "realGud". Gudbranson would'nt even have good hands on my beer league team. half the time he's passable as a 3rd pair guy and half the time its just a f***ing trainwreck. I don't trust him at all and offers nothing offensively nor is he good at trolling other teams....4 million after watching this guy every game for a couple years.......wow JB thats some next level pro scouting.

i have only screamed out loud in anger a few times in regards to the Benning era Canucks.
*game 1 against Calgary in 2015 when Willie D was rolling 4 lines and conserving the Sedins in a game they were outplaying Calagarys top line. we lost
* not taking Tkachuk

and

*the Jared McCann trade for Gudbranson who i hadn't even seen much of but knew enough just following hockey, a couple game observations and advanced stats was a bad aquisition. Timing was bad (could have taken advantage of expansion draft) contract demands speculated were bad, direction was bad, price was horrendous.........and the result is JB married the ugly move...brutal

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
What does that mean?
He's a #6/#7 D (my opinion). Those type of guys are going to have a number of flaws by definition. It's like the old days of complaining about having Cam Barker as your #6/#7. Granted, we got Cam Barker for "free" and he sure as **** wasn't paid anywhere nearly the same as Guds as a Canuck.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It's just like the high stick, was his teammates and then cross checks Oshie to the ice which subsequently ends with a puck being pulled from our net.

I saw that play and immediately knew that he would be roasted for it on these boards. I also knew deep in my heart that if that were Elias or Bo or Jake everybody would have cut him endless slack and said words like "that could happen to anyone". Also bet that if a Boeser shot were to hurt Guddy's leg nobody here would say a word against Boeser...

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He's a #6/#7 D (my opinion). Those type of guys are going to have a number of flaws by definition. It's like the old days of complaining about having Cam Barker as your #6/#7. Granted, we got Cam Barker for "free" and he sure as **** wasn't paid anywhere nearly the same as Guds as a Canuck.

But thats exactly the point. If we picked him off waivers and he made 800k , there would be no thread on him.

Reactions: geebaan

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Meh from what I’ve seen this year he’s been solid and is doing exactly what he does. I would trade McCann back for him in heartbeat. We haven’t been able to replace what he brought. And McCann is very mediocre at everything

Reactions: Zippgunn

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Meh from what I’ve seen this year he’s been solid and is doing exactly what he does. I would trade McCann back for him in heartbeat. We haven’t been able to replace what he brought. And McCann is very mediocre at everything

By solid, do you mean play terribly? And by doing exactly what he does, do you also mean terribly?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
By solid, do you mean play terribly? And by doing exactly what he does, do you also mean terribly?
No I mean bringing a physical presence for 20 mins a night that most teams don’t have an answer for. Staying home and taking care of the net. Made a nice 2 on 1 breakup play last night and I’ve seen him make a lot of steady safe defensive plays this year. If your expecting something else u will be disappointed. But the panthers are missing exactly what he brings and have since he got
Traded. He’s the type you will miss when he’s gone

Reactions: Zippgunn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->