Confirmed with Link: Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We send a pick as well....please nothing in the first 3 rounds of this year. Or whatever in 2014.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
Not that bad all things considered.

He's leading Dallas in points, his contract expires this year, and Cole was older, more expensive, and costed more.

CPrice

Feb 23, 2007
There is definitely more to this story. This was so out of left field that there is other motivations behind moving him. Whether it was MB looking ahead at the cap over the next two years, Cole asking for a trade, or management and team not liking what he was bringing to the table attitude wise.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Yes, Cole on his A game is better than Ryder. This year, Ryder's been better, he's younger, is cheaper, and is UFA next year if he doesn't perform.

I don't understand the hate for Ryder.

He played for the Bruins. He saved a sure-fire goal against Plekanec.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I don't hate it in terms of a pure lateral move. I don't mind Ryder. The way Cole played for us last season, well, that speed and physicality trumps anything Ryder can provide, even if the stats are similar. Cole (last season version) is simply a superior hockey player.

So we give up the better player (with mindset/age risk) for a player with an expiring contract which positions us for the potential for big moves in the summer. That's ok. I'll take it. Especially if Cole really did want out.

But if we gave up an extra pick in the process... ? No, I wouldn't approve of that.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I'm a big fan of this deal. We get younger and get a RH pure shooter which we desperately lacked outside of Gionta who is not getting any better.
I always liked Ryder in his time here.

I wonder if Gallagher gives up #73?

Cole of last year is gone and we can replicate that with Pacioretty and Eller to an extent.

Also love the cap flexibility this gives us.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
Habs think that Cole is about to be done. And they get rid of that salary. And they get a fine player who's contract will end at the end of the year. A guy that if he wants another contract...will have to be very good.

I say....good deal.

This. Exactly this. Cole wasn't producing, Ryder is having a fine year after scoring 35 last year. Getting rid of that contract (and hypothetically using the amnesty buyout on Kaberle next summer) clears a ton of space for next season and the season after.

My guess is that bergevin didn't feel Cole was a core player, and made a deal that minimized the long term effect of his contract while hedging the offensive production that we lose in Cole this season by adding a player with similar offensive numbers.

Regardless of how you feel about Ryder based on his last stint in Mtl (i personally liked him as a player although recognize he is fairly limited...not unlike Erik Cole mind you) this was, at worst, an objectively defensible trade and very good asset management.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
For an impending UFA who might help the club better than Cole? Plus Cole is going west. I like it, this is a pretty low risk move.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Basically a NBA type trade. We got Ryder's expiring deal this summer and we shed the final 2 years of Cole's deal. 3.5 M cap hit this year vs 4.5 M cap hit, so we also create a tad more cap room.

For those reasons, I think it's a good move. This opens up TONS of cap room for this summer. This tells me Bergevin was scared of Cole really declining in years 3 or 4 of his deal. Sort of like what we are seeing with Gionta now.

It's also possible Cole may have told the Habs FO that he would accept a trade to a US based team for family reasons (his daughter in high school angle that has been discussed).

We get slightly younger. It also another RH shot, something we were lacking.

Offensively it's probably a wash. Very similar numbers last season for both players, Ryder off to a better start this year.

Oh and Bruce Garrioch...actually had a legit trade rumor that came to fruition. :amazed:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
+Habs gain caproom for FAs
+Habs Unload a player who seems to be declining/becoming overpaid
+Habs gain a natural goal scorer who is playing well

-Cole could just be in a funk, and could light it up
-Habs lose size up front, the only place they had it

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I remember Carbo benching him during the playoffs and it pissed me off.

Yep. I was mad as well.

Ryder sucked so much that he went on and helped the Bruins win a Stanley Cup.:sarcasm:

Solid trade. Cole had his flashes of brilliance this season but that is all they were.........flashes.

Cant wait to see Ryder on the ice skating for the Habs again.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
No picks in the first 3 rounds of this year please 'cause the move will be less great unless we plan on reacquiring one somehow.

SakuSauce

Drive for 25
Dec 2, 2006
Montréal
Love the trade. We save 2 years at 4,5m and still get a decent player.

Ryder won't be able to take no 73 tho...unless Gallagher gives it to him!

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Louis Jean has to be wrong....he says WE'RE getting a 3rd round pick...:amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad