Speculation: Erik Cole thinking about retirement?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And I'll bet he's all kinds of beat up about that.

Seriously, this is probably what your reaction would be if you saw Cole up close:

Errr, quite the assumption.

I lost respect for him and that's it.

There's alot more than hockey in life I agree.

But then there's alot more than money too.

I can understand the part about his familly, this is undisputable. But that is not the main point of what he is saying and we all know it.

Myron Gaines*

Ultimately, I believe he doesn't really wanna play in Montreal anymore. The money and the sacrifice thing is just a way of saying that it's not worth it to spend the last years of his career playing for us in the situation we're in. He signed with us thinking that Markov would be back 100% and that this team would build on their two previous seasons and for a good amount of money, but look at everything that's happened lol. Even Carolina looks better than us.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I just can't respect a player who rips the league that's made him a multi millionaire who's now capable of retiring at such a young age because of how rich the league made him. The irony is incredible.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Ultimately, I believe he doesn't really wanna play in Montreal anymore. The money and the sacrifice thing is just a way of saying that it's not worth it to spend the last years of his career playing for us in the situation we're in. He signed with us thinking that Markov would be back 100% and that this team would build on their two previous seasons and for a good amount of money, but look at everything that's happened lol. Even Carolina looks better than us.

Usually I agree with you but you come out of nowhere and post this, lol.

Doesn't want to play in Montreal? Come on, you know better than to speculate like that. I'm also sure Cole knew exactly what he was getting into when he signed with us too, doubt that he was banking on a healthy Markov.

He got a better deal signing with us than he would have gotten anywhere else. Carolina was done with him and he wouldn't of played with Staal anymore. In comes Cole as the vet on a young Habs team and suddenly is career is resurrected on a line with Maxpac and Desharnais... he is getting the two best offensive forwards on the team as wingers. He should be happy here.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I just can't respect a player who rips the league that's made him a multi millionaire who's now capable of retiring at such a young age because of how rich the league made him. The irony is incredible.

That's one way to look at it.

Another is that the players made the league.

And a third way is that the league and the players made each other rich.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

No player is bigger than the league. If Cole never played in the NHL, it would be just fine without him.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal

100% agree with this. Cole has really embarrassed himself during the lockout. Shut up and play.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Well if you have a league that doesn't develop itself that much, you don't get the same revenues that they have. In the end, you would have had the same players....but with less money in their pockets. That league decided to expand in a way that some might not have decided to. I personnally would have gone for a 24-team league and probably not think of expending in places they've gone to. I'm all for quality, they are for quantity. Thank god for those players that they went for quantity, it gives them more jobs and more money.

Myron Gaines*

Usually I agree with you but you come out of nowhere and post this, lol.

Doesn't want to play in Montreal? Come on, you know better than to speculate like that. I'm also sure Cole knew exactly what he was getting into when he signed with us too, doubt that he was banking on a healthy Markov.

He got a better deal signing with us than he would have gotten anywhere else. Carolina was done with him and he wouldn't of played with Staal anymore. In comes Cole as the vet on a young Habs team and suddenly is career is resurrected on a line with Maxpac and Desharnais... he is getting the two best offensive forwards on the team as wingers. He should be happy here.

Carolina offered him a contract, they weren't done with him. I believe they offered him a $12M/3 year deal. And that's why we added one more year for more money and an NTC.

Yes he had a career year here in Montreal, but it doesn't mean **** when the team finishes last. He even said it straight up at the end of last season.

And for Markov, a lot of people weren't sure about him, but then also a lot of people on july 2011 we're expecting him back 100% in october 2011. I don't think Pierre Gauthier said to Erik Cole: "Meh, we're still not sure about Markov, he still has problems with his knee"...Gauthier probably never even thought Markov needed a 2nd surgery and almost a full year of recovery back then (which is one of the reasons he was rightfully fired).

Now with the new CBA he wont presumably get the same amount of money and he's on the worse team in the east and by his comments, I don't think his family is quit fully happy of staying in Montreal.

He does come off as a whiny little brat, no denying. But that's my best attempt at understanding what's going on. I prefer doing that than bashing him on an internet forum.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I think Cole is just trying to make a point about the CBA, not that I agree with him.

That's exactly what he was doing. I think he is right. If an employer changes the terms of a contract or employment agreement he's breaching the contract or doing a constructive dismissal. Of course under a CBA it becomes acceptable, to the frustration of Cole.

The comments about his daughter have been stretched to fit the hate-the-outspoken-player agenda. He said his daughter is going to a new school next year, which puts them at a crossroads to making a 4 year commitment. That makes it the best time to evaluate the situation. He didn't say anything about a family dislike for Montreal.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
That's exactly what he was doing. I think he is right. If an employer changes the terms of a contract or employment agreement he's breaching the contract or doing a constructive dismissal. Of course under a CBA it becomes acceptable, to the frustration of Cole.

The comments about his daughter have been stretched to fit the hate-the-outspoken-player agenda. He said his daughter is going to a new school next year, which puts them at a crossroads to making a 4 year commitment. That makes it the best time to evaluate the situation. He didn't say anything about a family dislike for Montreal.

Did the owners broke the contract? Am I missing something? It was due, they had to renegotiate it. Owners and NHLPA went on with their demands for this new one knowing full well that tons of teams are losing money. So the players had to take less, yet it's tons of money nonetheless. And guess what....most of those teams if not all of those teams will still lose money...but maybe slightly less.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Did the owners broke the contract? Am I missing something? It was due, they had to renegotiate it. Owners and NHLPA went on with their demands for this new one knowing full well that tons of teams are losing money. So the players had to take less, yet it's tons of money nonetheless. And guess what....most of those teams if not all of those teams will still lose money...but maybe slightly less.

Cole signed a contract for $X.
He's getting less than $X now that the new CBA is in effect.

He's got a right to talk about the unfairness of that.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Of course he does, but he won't be getting significantly less cash and to make it into such a big deal to the point where he now needs to reflect on retiring (and not only himself, but advises every other player in the NHL to do so) is ridiculous.
Really, at some point, let's stop exaggerating. Cole won't be losing any millions.

Also, he signed a contract of 18M spread over 4 years. He has already pocketed 8M dollars out of it, despite having played in one year only. Couldn't we say that the guy owes some hockey to this habs team? He didn't play half his contract but already got almost half the cash. That doesn't sound fair to me either.
He only has two more years after this season.
Out of the remaining 10M owed, he'll get 9.25M (before tax). As I said, no reason to make it into such a huge life changing decision.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying he can't talk about it, or even find it unfair. It sucks to get salaries reduced or hours cut, I've been through it myself, it's not fun. But to make it into such a huge thing is ridiculous, and I don't think he really wants to retire.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Well if Cole is absolutely entitled to talk about retiring which would mean, not being able to complete a 4-year contract, well a new CBA, that HAD to be done, had a chance to somewhat modify the contracts also already in place.

There are no laws that doesn't permit a new CBA to affect the existing contracts. Like there are no laws that doesn't permit a player to retire even if he has a contract. If we can't blame Cole for wanting to retire...why blame the CBA for modifying contracts then? It was ratified by his association, accepted by 98% of its members. Shuck it up Cole and move on. You still will be able to live a decent life. You want to retire? Fine. Do it in a fashion that won't affect the team that permitted you to whine about the money you'd lose over that fine contract. Give your team to chance to trade you near your home if that's what you want. Whining publicly like that won't help your team.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

And if he talked about that I'd have no problem with it. But all the other crap is what makes him look like a dolt. Retirement? How about guys like Hamrlik who he pooped on that has had to lose money in 3 straight lockouts? Cole didn't have a problem losing money when he was criticizing Hamr.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The entire arguement about Cole signing for X and now he's getting Y is wrong.

All contracts are contingent on the CBA for which time they were signed. Due to escrow, no player got 100% of the value of their contract during the last CBA.

Secondly, Cole was well aware that a new CBA brought with it the possibility of another reduction in pay. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if he thought that revenue sharing wasn't going to drop down to 50%, he was looking at the world through rose coloured glasses and being naive.

If he truley wanted to negociate his contract without leaving any money on the table, he should have signed a 2 year deal up until the end of the last CBA and he could have looked for a job now under th new CBA and hope to get the same dollar amount he got previously. He didn't do this so now I just think he sounds like a whiny, spoiled baby. I didn't like him before he came to Montreal and I don't like him again. Hope he does retire or gets traded now.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Dump as much CAP space we can to chase Getzlaf and Perry next summer?? :nod:

Still have a lot of work to do to chase those players. Just buying out Gomez isn't enough. Subban needs a new deal and so will Desharnais depending on how he performs this season could cost us a good 3.5-4.5 per year

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
John Lu ‏@JohnLuTSNMtl

#Habs Erik Cole says being back on the ice with his teammates has lifted his spirits and driven away thoughts of retirement from last Fri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->