Player Discussion: Erik Cernak

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think Sergachev has been fine. Hes made some poor decisions here and there but overall I think he is fine. Only reason I would send him back is if he looks like he is regressing but I don't completely see that with him. He may be having a sophomore slump compared to what we saw last year but not an overly noticeable one in my opinion.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is debatable.

Not really, Coburn playing as a bonifide #3 on his own, Cernak is being babysat by Hedman and McDonagh, take them away and you'll definitely see more cracks in his game. Coburn has been solid this year.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
There was definitely not "lots" of talk about sending him to the AHL

He was brutal this pre-season and start to the year. Plenty of chatter if he needed more time in the AHL, doesn't matter if you didn't notice it.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He was brutal this pre-season and start to the year. Plenty of chatter if he needed more time in the AHL, doesn't matter if you didn't notice it.
Chatter where? Because it wasn't on this board. Some reddit thread doesn't really move the needle on reasoned or nuanced discussion.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I certainly didn't notice it, so I did a search through the board threads, google, nothing, since I clearly missed this huge development, perhaps you could links or threads about demoting Sergachev, shouldn't be too hard to disclose with how much chatter this apparently drew up.

From what I recall, people said he needed to be better, some said maybe sit him for a game or 2. He was still our leading scorer on the backend through 10 games as well so I'm sure that wasn't the case. I don't see any extensive or even serious discussion about sending him down unless you count that guy with 30 posts getting mad that Sergachev isn't McAvoy then sure.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I certainly didn't notice it, so I did a search through the board threads, google, nothing, since I clearly missed this huge development, perhaps you could links or threads about demoting Sergachev, shouldn't be too hard to disclose with how much chatter this apparently drew up.

From what I recall, people said he needed to be better, some said maybe sit him for a game or 2. He was still our leading scorer on the backend through 10 games as well so I'm sure that wasn't the case. I don't see any extensive or even serious discussion about sending him down. I mean that's pretty hilarious if there's one reputable source who thought Sergachev should be in the AHL after a bad pre-season.

You're being ridiculous

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
And you're making up lies, so why not back it up if not?

I don't need to provide for you evidence of off the cuff fan talk from 2 months ago. Bizarre that you are expecting it, and you are rude as **** to think I would lie about it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not really, Coburn playing as a bonifide #3 on his own, Cernak is being babysat by Hedman and McDonagh, take them away and you'll definitely see more cracks in his game. Coburn has been solid this year.

Why are you spreading lies? Coburn plays some easy 3rd pairing minutes behind good players and against bad ones while Cernak gets buried night after night. It's Cernak facing the opponents top lines. Furthermore, him and Stralman are the two Bolts with the highest percentage of defensive zone starts (almost 10% more than Coburn). If you're a Coburn fanboy then that's fine with me but please don't try to make a point with false evidence. Cernak plays tougher minutes than Coburn and it's not even close. Also, Hedman, in his current form, couldn't babysit anyone. He even has trouble looking for himself.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Why are you spreading lies? Coburn plays some easy 3rd pairing minutes behind good players and against bad ones while Cernak gets buried night after night. It's Cernak facing the opponents top lines. Furthermore, him and Stralman are the two Bolts with the highest percentage of defensive zone starts (almost 10% more than Coburn). If you're a Coburn fanboy then that's fine with me but please don't try to make a point with false evidence. Cernak plays tougher minutes than Coburn and it's not even close. Also, Hedman, in his current form, couldn't babysit anyone. He even has trouble looking for himself.

Cernak has McD as a partner, Coburn has Sergachev. Gulf sized difference

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Cernak has McD as a partner, Coburn has Sergachev. Gulf sized difference

It is but still...Cernak is playing the toughest minutes of the whole roster while Coburn is playing easy ones. To talk about babysitting here is a joke. Trust me...you don't wanna see Coburn starting lots of shifts in the defensive zone against top competition the way Cernak is getting used...wouldn't be pretty.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Agreed didn't really hear much about him being possibly sent down just some fans who proposed the idea

I heard it discussed on 620, on BP, and some discord chat. Again, it's ridiculous that my use of the word " a lot" is being hyper-analyzed, but if it's that big of a deal I'll concede the point. Sergachev was struggling earlier this year, he isn't so much anymore, didn't think it would be something I'd need to archive to please people, it's a moot point. I have nothing to gain from lying about it.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I don’t know if this will come true, but I briefly spoke to Ken Daniels who said the lightning brass is planning on keeping Cernak in the line up when everyone is healthy.

Who comes out? Coburn?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It is but still...Cernak is playing the toughest minutes of the whole roster while Coburn is playing easy ones. To talk about babysitting here is a joke. Trust me...you don't wanna see Coburn starting lots of shifts in the defensive zone against top competition the way Cernak is getting used...wouldn't be pretty.

He's being babysat, get real. I'd bet on Coburn being just as sufficient next to Hedman or McDonagh as opposed to Cernak being played next to Sergachev as a pairing, the vets have roles and part of that is babysitting the rookies, Coburn is starting offensive zone draws not because he "sucks" in the defensive zone it's because he's with Sergachev who in case you didn't notice isn't the best guy in his own end. But hey context is a nice thing to use with your fancy stats right.

There's plenty of people currently praising coburns season and few if any who are saying he's bad, especially someone who's clearly falsely knocking on him to overhype a rookie.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDBolt

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

One does the babysitting, one is babysat, I'll let you figure it out.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don’t know if this will come true, but I briefly spoke to Ken Daniels who said the lightning brass is planning on keeping Cernak in the line up when everyone is healthy.

Who comes out? Coburn?

I'd demote Sergachev. He's in need of a reset. Whether it takes a week, a month or the whole season to get him back on track, that I don't know. But he's lacking consistency which isn't a good sign. I want the old, lighthearted Sergachev back and that can only come with confidence and him believing in his game.

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
Good news for Cernak, he took Coburn's place on the PK unit and was also out for 4 on 4 situations (Coburn/Girardi not)

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

Who comes out? Coburn?

Girardi comes out.

Hedman - Stralman
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Girardi is by far our worst defenseman and he is also a righty so he should be the one to go.

You're not making sense here. Girardi has been just fine and this team needs more righties. You're making it sound like you'd sit Girardi because he's a righty.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Sergachev and Coburn are both playing well. As an experiment would also like to see:

Hedman - Coburn
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Stralman

Two massive guys that can skate on the first pairing would be great shutdown pair and Hedman can do his offensive thing. Stralman can babysit Sergachev and bring Serg back to his natural side.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Girardi comes out.

Hedman - Stralman
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev

I prefer L/R, L/R, L/R so I'd do:

McDonagh, Cernak
Hedman, Stralman
Coburn, Girardi
Koekkoek
Sergachev to Syracuse

Once Sergachev gets his act together, waive Koekkoek if everybody is healthy. So that would make:

McDonagh, Cernak
Hedman, Stralman
Sergachev, Girardi
Coburn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad