Player Discussion: Erik Cernak

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I've really liked him so far. He adds a physical presence I believe every team needs. Now he's new so many of the guys try to do that to stick around, but I hope he keeps up the physical play.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Whoever said he plays a similar game to Dotchin and that'd make him a good partner for Hedman couldn't be more wrong. Rarely does he make the "simple" play and instead takes the puck on his own and tries to make a play. Not that it's wrong, sometimes it does lead to a dead play but he does take risks. What's great is that he's the opposite of the big defenseman we've had in the past like Sustr and even Hedman, he actually plays a physical game and imposes his size on the boards.

He shows he ready to be in the NHL but I do think that we'd be fine sending him back to the AHL once the lineup is healthy, it would not hurt his development finishing the season down there while having played a chunk on the season up here already and he'll be on the roster 100% to start next season, the team is good enough not to feel his departure either. The problem here is that we need Koekkoek to play more games, he's shown he can be a cheap bottom pairing defenseman which we'll be desperate for with the cap crunch next season, we need to get him games and re-sign him for cheap which outweights Cernak being up for the rest of the season unless KK fails miserably.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Whoever said he plays a similar game to Dotchin and that'd make him a good partner for Hedman couldn't be more wrong. Rarely does he make the "simple" play and instead takes the puck on his own and tries to make a play. Not that it's wrong, sometimes it does lead to a dead play but he does take risks. What's great is that he's the opposite of the big defenseman we've had in the past like Sustr and even Hedman, he actually plays a physical game and imposes his size on the boards.

He shows he ready to be in the NHL but I do think that we'd be fine sending him back to the AHL once the lineup is healthy, it would not hurt his development finishing the season down there while having played a chunk on the season up here already and he'll be on the roster 100% to start next season, the team is good enough not to feel his departure either. The problem here is that we need Koekkoek to play more games, he's shown he can be a cheap bottom pairing defenseman which we'll be desperate for with the cap crunch next season, we need to get him games and re-sign him for cheap which outweights Cernak being up for the rest of the season unless KK fails miserably.

I don't agree. You can see where the Dotchin comparisons come from(he isn't a clone). Cernak is large strong and physical, he's right handed, and he doesn't rush the puck up the ice but prefers to be the back man. He's also got a very heavy shot and knows how to use it. The biggest differences that I've noticed is that Cernak is a lot more agile than Dotchin and probably isn't going to get beat wide in normal circumstances. His first step is much better, he knows where he is supposed to be on the ice, and he knows what to do with the puck in the defensive zone.

In the offensive zone, it's another matter entirely. 9 times out of 10, he'll knock the puck back up the ice behind the opponents net, or he'll do a pass back. If he's got room, he'll do a slap shot. You don't see him creating space by skating with the puck, you don't see him looking for open guys or doing any feints. I think he's scared to make a mistake because he's the lone guy back and that means a breakaway. I don't anticipate that to continue once he gains some confidence.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't agree. You can see where the Dotchin comparisons come from(he isn't a clone). Cernak is large strong and physical, he's right handed, and he doesn't rush the puck up the ice but prefers to be the back man. He's also got a very heavy shot and knows how to use it. The biggest differences that I've noticed is that Cernak is a lot more agile than Dotchin and probably isn't going to get beat wide in normal circumstances. His first step is much better, he knows where he is supposed to be on the ice, and he knows what to do with the puck in the defensive zone.

In the offensive zone, it's another matter entirely. 9 times out of 10, he'll knock the puck back up the ice behind the opponents net, or he'll do a pass back. If he's got room, he'll do a slap shot. You don't see him creating space by skating with the puck, you don't see him looking for open guys or doing any feints. I think he's scared to make a mistake because he's the lone guy back and that means a breakaway. I don't anticipate that to continue once he gains some confidence.

Actually he's tried this plenty of times so far up here, couple times where he receives the puck on the point and instead of making the simple shot back down low he tries to carry it in himself.. he's clearly more mobile than Dotchin but that's not a high bar. Are we watching the same guy? One of his moves to use his reach and go wide and drive down low. Cernak has taken lots of liberties with the puck so far which I think shows great poise even though some of the decisions are questionable (that's fine given he's still a rookie).

I'd like to see him launch that bomb of a shot on net a little more.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Actually he's tried this plenty of times so far up here, couple times where he receives the puck on the point and instead of making the simple shot back down low he tries to carry it in himself.. he's clearly more mobile than Dotchin but that's not a high bar. Are we watching the same guy? One of his moves to use his reach and go wide and drive down low. Cernak has taken lots of liberties with the puck so far which I think shows great poise even though some of the decisions are questionable (that's fine given he's still a rookie).

He has a heavy shot but it's also a logo-seeker. Last game (I think?) he had all day in the high slot to let a shot off and hit the logo square. I think Engblom commented that he needed to pick a corner.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've been surprised at how assertive he is offensively, really. That might be because I've read reports rather than watched him live in the A, but he always seems to be projected as a bottom-pairing D with a good skillset, but not really an offensive one. But I mean, let's say everything posted above is true, and he also IS a bottom pairing D. If we're getting 5 goals from the #5/6, our D is strong.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

You tell me. Making a move in the offensive zone is not the same as rushing the puck up the ice. I do see an uptick on him being more assertive, for the first 7-8 games he was not though. Also, no way in hell would Dotchin have been able to rub out forwards the way Cernak has. His lateral agility and first step are leagues better than Dotchin and he doesn't get beat wide, this is why he's been so damn effective, he can apply himself physically while on the move while Dotchin really was only able to when the puck was along the boards. That's not saying his agility is elite or anything, but it's enough, and that's all he needs, which makes him light years better than Dotchin.

I'm very high on Cernaks offense, but I think you guys are jumping the gun a bit on the praise. I remember when Sustr made a couple of plays in the first few games his first season and there was way too much optimism to what his ceiling would be. Cernak has shown no consistency there, just flashes. That's exactly why we need to keep Cernak up, and luckily the coaching staff is weening him into heavy minutes. 21 minutes last game, I was sure they'd send him down three or four games ago when it looked like Stralman would be back into the lineup, but now? How can you...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You tell me. Making a move in the offensive zone is not the same as rushing the puck up the ice. I do see an uptick on him being more assertive, for the first 7-8 games he was not though. Also, no way in hell would Dotchin have been able to rub out forwards the way Cernak has. His lateral agility and first step are leagues better than Dotchin and he doesn't get beat wide, this is why he's been so damn effective, he can apply himself physically while on the move while Dotchin really was only able to when the puck was along the boards. That's not saying his agility is elite or anything, but it's enough, and that's all he needs, which makes him light years better than Dotchin.

I'm very high on Cernaks offense, but I think you guys are jumping the gun a bit on the praise. I remember when Sustr made a couple of plays in the first few games his first season and there was way too much optimism to what his ceiling would be. Cernak has shown no consistency there, just flashes. That's exactly why we need to keep Cernak up, and luckily the coaching staff is weening him into heavy minutes. 21 minutes last game, I was sure they'd send him down three or four games ago when it looked like Stralman would be back into the lineup, but now? How can you...

He's improving quickly...the first games he was keeping it simple...solid against the puck but couldn't wait to get rid of it when he had it. They probably told him not to do anything fancy so I don't blame him. He's gotten better ever since. He's never gonna score Hedman kinda numbers but I don't see why he shouldn't continue to improve. He's just 21. Not many defenders can play like Cernak aged 21.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Because we have 6 regular defenseman already? He'll see a reduction in minutes once the lineups healthy anyways and as the 6th/7th on rotation , they're giving him more now because they're taking advantage of the situation. He'll get his minutes next year regardless, KK is a much better fit for the 7th defenseman role and we'll be able to resign him for cheap afterwards. Unless you see a move being made I don't see Cernak staying up.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Because we have 6 regular defenseman already? He'll see a reduction in minutes once the lineups healthy anyways and as the 6th/7th on rotation , they're giving him more now because they're taking advantage of the situation. He'll get his minutes next year regardless, KK is a much better fit for the 7th defenseman role and we'll be able to resign him for cheap afterwards. Unless you see a move being made I don't see Cernak staying up.

I disagree. He's a righty and as long as he's better than Sergachev and Coburn they would be stupid to send him down.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I disagree. He's a righty and as long as he's better than Sergachev and Coburn they would be stupid to send him down.

Except he hasn't been better than Coburn and what do you think they're going to do? Scratch Sergachev nightly to play Cernak? Now that's stupid.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Except he hasn't been better than Coburn and what do you think they're going to do? Scratch Sergachev nightly to play Cernak? Now that's stupid.

He's better than both of them and his advantage is being a righty. Coburn, at this point of his career, doesn't need to be a regular. Scratching Sergachev wouldn't really help him but a stint in Syracuse might.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He's better than both of them and his advantage is being a righty. Coburn, at this point of his career, doesn't need to be a regular. Scratching Sergachev wouldn't really help him but a stint in Syracuse might.
Would you be more comfortable with Cernak or Coburn in the playoffs? Maybe now we could rotate them but come playoff time Cernak gets scratched over Coburn any day.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Would you be more comfortable with Cernak or Coburn in the playoffs? Maybe now we could rotate them but come playoff time Cernak gets scratched over Coburn any day.

Right now I'd go with Cernak. Should he start making mistakes you can still turn to Coburn.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
How's Cernak been better than Coburn? Coburn has been rock solid.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
McD has been our best defenseman all season with Stralman doing well up until his injury. After that, Coburn has been the 3rd best whether people want to believe that or not. Not knocking Hedman, it's just that he hasn't been the same and hasn't really needed to be either. Before, he was THE guy. Now with some help he's just consistently good but not amazing, not like last year. Coburn on the other hand looks faster, more decisive, better in his own end and more confident. He looks like Coburn from years ago.

Cernak has also looked more NHL ready than any defenseman we have brought up in years. He doesn't look lazy and disinterested like Sergachev. He doesn't look like he has cement in his skates like Dotchin. He doesn't look lost like KK, and more importantly he doesn't look like a weakling like Sustr with a big frame.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

What do you mean? He had 21 minutes against Florida when we pulled the game into reach and made a comeback. Those minutes have been earned, and he continues to earn them.

I think they'll rotate him in when Stralman returns for Girardi

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Really? Send down Sergachev to keep Cernak up? We're getting a little too hyped over 11 games here.

Let's be fair here, there was a lot of talk of sending Sergachev down before Cernak even made an appearance. Obviously that isn't going to happen and I don't want to see it, but if it were, I don't think we can blame Cernak for it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Really? Send down Sergachev to keep Cernak up? We're getting a little too hyped over 11 games here.

Has little to do with Cernak.
Sergachev would benefit from a stint with the Crunch. Has been inconsistent all season long and it's time to press the reset button.
Situation would be fluid anyway. Sergachev could come back anytime once he gets his act together. There's also no guarantee that Cernak will be able to keep it up but while does I'd keep him up...and be it only because he's a righty.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Let's be fair here, there was a lot of talk of sending Sergachev down before Cernak even made an appearance. Obviously that isn't going to happen and I don't want to see it, but if it were, I don't think we can blame Cernak for it.

There was definitely not "lots" of talk about sending him to the AHL

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad