Player Discussion: Erik Cernak

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Stralman this year has not been an nhl player.

Strålman had an excellent start to the year. He and Mac made a terrific shutdown pair and were absolutely stellar when Hedman went down for a month earlier in the season. Everyone was raving on how good they were as the temporary top pair. Some Ranger fans were green with envy at what could have been if only Strålman and McDonagh had been paired more often for their team.

But when Hedman returned, Strålman went down with an injury (scuttlebutt says groin injury) that kept him out for five full weeks. After he returned, yes, he was not nearly as good as his usual efficient self, plus he had to play musical partners due to keeping Cernak up which doesn't exactly help chemistry. He was finally starting to look like himself and had some really good games when he went down again with injury.

Coming back from injury =/= fell-off-a-cliff suckage.

So yeah, I agree with Macho that the Strålman hate (by a few) is rather overdone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raymones and DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Strålman had an excellent start to the year. He and Mac made a terrific shutdown pair and were absolutely stellar when Hedman went down for a month earlier in the season. Everyone was raving on how good they were as the temporary top pair. Some Ranger fans were green with envy at what could have been if only Strålman and McDonagh had been paired more often for their team.

But when Hedman returned, Strålman went down with an injury (scuttlebutt says groin injury) that kept him out for five full weeks. After he returned, yes, he was not nearly as good as his usual efficient self, plus he had to play musical partners due to keeping Cernak up which doesn't exactly help chemistry. He was finally starting to look like himself and had some really good games when he went down again with injury.

Coming back from injury =/= fell-off-a-cliff suckage.

So yeah, I agree with Macho that the Strålman hate (by a few) is rather overdone.

This has been the pattern with Stralman throughout his time in TB. He plays really well until he gets injured, and then, even if he gets back to playing well (which isn't always the case), he never quite finds his pre-injury form.

I think we're looking at a win-win when he gets back though. Either he gets paired with Hedman full-time, or he gets paired with Coburn. Either way I think the consistent partner will help, and he won't be asked to shutdown top lines in the playoffs.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Having watched the play of Rutta the past couple of weeks, it appears he fits a role on the third line D pairing. In fact, his pairing with Coburn has gone much better than expected and gives the Bolts something to think about as to who to bring back. I would not be surprised the Bolts trading Masin during the draft to try and recover a draft pick. Question is whether Masin could fetch you a third round pick! We seem to do well with those 3rd rounders!

Trading Masin for a pick is a bad idea. Masin probably won't end up being more than a bottom pair guy or AHL/7 type but we are so weak on the left that we need to keep him. He's also been good in the AHL so he could stay in the Crunchs top 4 for a few years till a prospect comes along and takes his spot.

I'm all for keeping any of Coburn, Stralman or Girardi if they're willing to take a pay cut. Whichever one of them is willing to take 2.5 on a one or two year deal can stay.

JDBolt

Oct 14, 2017
Just noticed Cernak is missing at least one of his two front teeth.. Is that from Wilson? I've never noticed it before now..

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Just noticed Cernak is missing at least one of his two front teeth.. Is that from Wilson? I've never noticed it before now..

he44p5yiojp21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Wilson broke his pinkie? Looks like Wilson got ANNIHILATED by Cernak in actuality. :sarcasm:
Real fighters know not to hit someone with such a vulnerable area of the hand. ;)

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I was looking at some stats to see if any other records were in jeopardy this season with the year we've been having. Currently Paquette is on pace to have the franchise record for the most hits in a season. Right now he sits 3rd (223) behind Artyukhin (249 in 2008-09) and Gudas (273 in 2013-14). If Paquette continues with his 3.4 hits per game over the last 15 games of the season, that would give him 274, 1 more than Gudas.

Now the surprising thing is Cernak is already high on this list. His 152 hits this season is tied for the 15th best, even though he's only played 43 games, about half a season. It's very likely he'll finish higher up the rankings, but like Paquette, he if continues on his pace of 3.5 hits per game over the last 15 games, that'll give him roughly 204 hits, the 4th most by a bolt in a season.

So it might not even matter what Paquette does to finish out the season. This could very well be Cernak's record this time next year over the course of a full 82 games.
To follow up on this, Paquette has 269 hits and needs 5 hits today to pass Gudas for the most in a single season.

Cernak is currently tied with Eric Brewer for 4th most hits in a season with 197. Obviously a single hit will give him sole possession. Brewer played all 82 games in that (2011-12) season, while Cernak will have played in 58 if he's in the lineup today.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Is he still unknown around the league? Last night's game was broadcasted on the Finnish platform Viaplay and the so-called experts (including former NHLers Tuomo Ruutu and Ossi Väänänen) called him David Cernak throughout the night. Never corrected it.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Is he still unknown around the league? Last night's game was broadcasted on the Finnish platform Viaplay and the so-called experts (including former NHLers Tuomo Ruutu and Ossi Väänänen) called him David Cernak throughout the night. Never corrected it.

Many were caught off guard at how good Hedman was until our Stanley Cup appearance.

Reactions: DaBolts

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The history of this thread is very interesting, to see how expectations have changed for him in under a year.
That's usually the case with the prospect threads. Find an old Sustr thread if you want a good laugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad