Player Discussion: Erik Cernak

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
They also got a 5th rounder from us.

We didn't pick anybody's pocket here -- grabbed a solid potential top 4 defenseman, but we gave up possible Vezina fevorite and a tiny amount of draft capital to get him. But I love Cernak, and it certainly is a move that's benefited us as a team.

But yeah, LA most certainly lost the Bishop trade.
You're right, forgot the 5th. Not that it changes much on LA's side. Their 5th round pick was Drake Rymsha (12 points in 31 ECHL games and 3 points in 24 AHL games this season).

Edited my previous post accordingly.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Cernak is 11th in the league in +/-. If you factor in his missing 1/3rd of the season, his +/- per game is 2nd in the leauge... behind McDonagh. Playing for a stacked team helps a lot, but the eyeball test synchs up with the numbers. I know its a little early, but I hope the Lightning start looking at a bridge deal for him sooner rather than later.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is Cernak's unexpected rise bad news for Cal Foote's career path?

Probably not. It actually takes pressure off Foote to assume a top-4 role, long-term. He can develop at his own pace. If he can make the team next year, great, and if he can't, finding a bottom-pairing RHD shouldn't be overly costly.

Our cap problems for next season have always been overblown, but Cernak emerging as a legit top-4 defenseman kills a lot of birds with one stone. It no longer really matters if we can afford Stralman, for instance. We can let him walk, keep one of the league's better D cores, and that's money we won't have to shed elsewhere to pay Point.

But with Foote, Cernak's emergence means it's a lower spot on the depth chart that's going to be available, and therefore easier for Foote to grab. If we go into next season with Cernak, Sergachev, and Foote down the right side? We are laughing our faces off.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Is Cernak's unexpected rise bad news for Cal Foote's career path?

Next years projected D

Hedman-Sergachev
McDonagh-Cernak
Masin-Foote

I can totally see Cernak reuniting with Masin and Foote pairing with McDonagh though to help spread out the talent and ween in the rookies. Sick pairings none the less

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Rather bring Coburn back than have Masin and Foote getting destroyed.

Hedman-Sergachev
Mcdonagh-Cernak
Coburn-Foote
Rutta

Foote is the only wild card, Masin 100% makes the team next year if they need cap space

Last edited:

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Foote is the only wild card, Masin 100% makes the team next year.

He didn’t look ready this year and hasn’t really taken a step forward in the ahl. I guess he could do some work in the summer and make the roster but I’m pretty skeptical.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He didn’t look ready this year and hasn’t really taken a step forward in the ahl. I guess he could do some work in the summer and make the roster but I’m pretty skeptical.

He's the Crunch's best shutdown defenseman. Depends on what our options are, but right now he's it if we are looking to save cap space. Maybe there will be a nice free agent pickup to sign for cheap though, Shattenkirk?

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Next years projected D

Hedman-Sergachev
McDonagh-Cernak
Masin-Foote

I can totally see Cernak reuniting with Masin and Foote pairing with McDonagh though to help spread out the talent and ween in the rookies. Sick pairings none the less

I don't know that Masin makes it. He didn't look good at all in the pre-season and reports from Syracuse haven't been glowing. I wouldn't be shocked if we gave Coburn another paycut to babysit Foote.

I just don't see us using a pair of rookies, even if it's the bottom pair.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't know that Masin makes it. He didn't look good at all in the pre-season and reports from Syracuse haven't been glowing. I wouldn't be shocked if we gave Coburn another paycut to babysit Foote.

I just don't see us using a pair of rookies, even if it's the bottom pair.

It may depend on what we where we are depth wise. He's an NHL quality defender but maybe not good enough for us

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We also traded Budaj for Andreoff who's been great for Syracuse this year.

Masin hasn't developed as well as we hoped this year after a strong finish to last season. As for next year he's waiver eligible so it increases his chances of making the team but right now I wouldn't have him in my top 6 but a 7/8 he could be fine like Koekkoek has been the past few seasons. I could also see us trying to sneak him through waivers as well since he'll be 23 with no NHL games played teams might not waste a waiver claim and roster spot on him.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Having watched the play of Rutta the past couple of weeks, it appears he fits a role on the third line D pairing. In fact, his pairing with Coburn has gone much better than expected and gives the Bolts something to think about as to who to bring back. I would not be surprised the Bolts trading Masin during the draft to try and recover a draft pick. Question is whether Masin could fetch you a third round pick! We seem to do well with those 3rd rounders!

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Having watched the play of Rutta the past couple of weeks, it appears he fits a role on the third line D pairing. In fact, his pairing with Coburn has gone much better than expected and gives the Bolts something to think about as to who to bring back. I would not be surprised the Bolts trading Masin during the draft to try and recover a draft pick. Question is whether Masin could fetch you a third round pick! We seem to do well with those 3rd rounders!
You wrong. Rutta sucks. Slow skating, slow decision making.

He needs to be sheltered. We can't afford to shelter someone who isn't on a development path. The kid's like 27 - if we're going to shelter someone, let's shelter someone with upside.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
One bad play and everyone hates Rutta. Not like he is the greatest defenseman ever but I at least prefer him over Stralman.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
cernak up to 9th in rookie d man scoring missing after 49 games easily would be second to dahlin in this race and be leading by a ton on plus minus smdh.. NO UPSIDE though I heard plenty of you say he has no offense wait and see will be better then sergachev when all is said and done so will foote...

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
cernak up to 9th in rookie d man scoring missing after 49 games easily would be second to dahlin in this race and be leading by a ton on plus minus smdh.. NO UPSIDE though I heard plenty of you say he has no offense wait and see will be better then sergachev when all is said and done so will foote...

Cernak projects to score 23 points over an 82 game season, hardly something I'd gloat about. He's still realizing his upside, but I wouldn't get into an argument with someone about his great offensive potential arguing about how he's 9th in defenseman scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad