Player Discussion: Erik Cernak

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
50302522-7E9B-4675-B74E-C43D4E9C177E.png

This is a pretty good chart that shows how his performance isn’t dependent on Mcdonagh. He actually has pretty much the same results with everyone.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
"Daniel Girardi" - who else besides the chart above and his mother calls him that?

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
View attachment 199815

This is a pretty good chart that shows how his performance isn’t dependent on Mcdonagh. He actually has pretty much the same results with everyone.

I can't imagine those sample sizes are large enough to be taken seriously though. The with and without Cernak suppression stats comparison for McDonagh are incredible though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A blind squirrel finds a nut, and this team has turned us all into really fat squirrels so far this season :laugh:

He just hasn't backed off at all. And he seems to get better in big games (vs. the Leafs too, if I remember correctly). The more I see him, the more I think you're right. This is pretty much exactly what you want from a #3. I think he's already that now, and probably has been for a month, maybe more.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He just hasn't backed off at all. And he seems to get better in big games (vs. the Leafs too, if I remember correctly). The more I see him, the more I think you're right. This is pretty much exactly what you want from a #3. I think he's already that now, and probably has been for a month, maybe more.

Thank you. Yeah if anything....he thrives in this kind of atmosphere. I certainly can't claim I predicted he'd play this way in the biggest games. Fun to watch him grow, we haven't had a guy like him mature in front of us before. Closest was Kubina.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Cernak play has certainly improved dramatically quick. Feel like we did the right thing calling him up during the season. I got to admit when we traded Bishop I generally didn’t think Cernak would have been this good. Looks a lock for a top 4 role for years to come. Yzerman pulled of a unbelievable trade. Be interesting to see what he would get when he’s contract is due up.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Thank you. Yeah if anything....he thrives in this kind of atmosphere. I certainly can't claim I predicted he'd play this way in the biggest games. Fun to watch him grow, we haven't had a guy like him mature in front of us before. Closest was Kubina.
Yeah Kubina's rise was a treat to watch as well. Definitely reminds me of him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The Kings really got nothing out of this:

Tampa
Out: Cernak, Budaj, 7th pick (that we flipped to Philly in the Streit/Filppula trade that turned into Wyatt Kalynuk - 0 NHL games)
In: Bishop, 5th pick (Drake Rymsha - 0 NHL games)

Bishop played 7 games for them and they missed the playoffs.

Dallas
Out: Bishop's rights
In: 4th pick (Markus Phillips - 0 NHL games)

Bishop is contending for the Vezina this season.

Cernak, Bishop, Budaj, 7th for a 4th and a 5th. Yikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faterson

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
At this point if BriseBois and yzerman are calling my phone if I’m another team GM I’m just going to block it! And I would ID name that phone number Tampa your about to get screwed.

Reactions: Bolt 45

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
The Kings really got nothing out of this:

Tampa
Out: Cernak, Budaj, 7th pick (that we flipped to Philly in the Streit/Filppula trade that turned into Wyatt Kalynuk - 0 NHL games)
In: Bishop

Bishop played 7 games for them and they missed the playoffs.

Dallas
Out: Bishop's rights
In: 4th pick (that turned into Markus Phillips - 0 NHL games)

Bishop is contending for the Vezina this season.

Cernak, Bishop, Budaj, 7th for a 4th. Yikes.

They also got a 5th rounder from us.

We didn't pick anybody's pocket here -- grabbed a solid potential top 4 defenseman, but we gave up possible Vezina fevorite and a tiny amount of draft capital to get him. But I love Cernak, and it certainly is a move that's benefited us as a team.

But yeah, LA most certainly lost the Bishop trade.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad