Player Discussion: Erik Cernak

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
The way he ragdolls people with his upper body strength is as fun to watch as big checks. I just love what he does in the neutral zone and on defense. If he can figure out offense just a little bit all the better.

Reactions: Hockey4Life91

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I wouldn't call him a Weber light, I don't think he has the offense and definitely not the shot, I would call him a Manson light. An absolutely stud physical shutdown guy and any offense he brings is a bonus. Just the perfect sidekick who does all the work that allows your star defender to shine and get all the credit.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I wouldn't call him a Weber light, I don't think he has the offense and definitely not the shot, I would call him a Manson light. An absolutely stud physical shutdown guy and any offense he brings is a bonus. Just the perfect sidekick who does all the work that allows your star defender to shine and get all the credit.
disagree lets set up a vote on anyone who agrees with me

do you notice MR. Cernak every shift yes or no? yep pretty easy vote

edit disagree on the the perfect sidekick and allows your stud defender to shine and get all the credit. lol i notice mcd when he makes a mistake i notice cernak cause hes a frigging beast at all times lol and he really does a great job at lines and being aggressive especially on the puck etc... he attacks the offensive guys ............. i notice mcd also plenty but pretty much notice remember mistakes im like on edge of seat if cernak is near a play...
so no to the sidekick unrecognized thing this guy always holds my attention and for me thats been a long time since a dman at 20 has done that....

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I am so happy for Erik. I've been watching him since he was 15 and I always knew he can be a NHL player in the future. Btw, I saw some Shea Weber comparisons here. Weber is actually Eriks favourite player and he models his game after him.

That's pretty cool. One of the nice things about hfboards is you get people like you volunteering information like that, you would never get this kind of info otherwise.

My Weber comparison comes from two things. Hard and low right handed shot, which is going to create lots of juicy rebounds, and his bone crushing hits. Not many comparables in the league

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

His low accurate shot is underrated. He's going to flourish in this offense because of it. I guess that's to TBD, but looks like everyone agrees on the Mason comparison. IMO that could very well be the floor.

Reactions: Unfinished Business

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Basically verbalizing what we've noticed. Lack of confidence in the beginning has disappeared and he's now opened up his game(with some encouragement from others) to some untapped offensive potential.

He's beginning to realize that potential. I noticed three or four times Peckam confused Cernak for Stamkos. He's trying to activate at every opportunity now, and he's smart enough to know when those opportunities are. This is a guy who's supposed to be slow, but there were several neutral Habs fans who thought he was one of our fastest skaters.

That makes two prospects, Cernak and Point, who've turned their skating from a negative to a positive. Is this the work of Barbara, or just some hard work?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Basically verbalizing what we've noticed. Lack of confidence in the beginning has disappeared and he's now opened up his game(with some encouragement from others) to some untapped offensive potential.

He's beginning to realize that potential. I noticed three or four times Peckam confused Cernak for Stamkos. He's trying to activate at every opportunity now, and he's smart enough to know when those opportunities are. This is a guy who's supposed to be slow, but there were several neutral Habs fans who thought he was one of our fastest skaters.

That makes two prospects, Cernak and Point, who've turned their skating from a negative to a positive. Is this the work of Barbara, or just some hard work?

It's not a coincidence. Drouin's skating was considered a weakness at the draft.

I'm pretty sure Boltprospects listed Cernak's skating as a strength at the time of the trade though, so this could be LA's handiwork.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It's not a coincidence. Drouin's skating was considered a weakness at the draft.

I'm pretty sure Boltprospects listed Cernak's skating as a strength at the time of the trade though, so this could be LA's handiwork.

Here is boltprospects analysis.

Scouting Comments:
Černák is a big defenseman with excellent reach and strength. Is brilliant defensively and in front of his own net. Can also play on the powerplay thanks to his hockey sense. Doesn't take a lot of penalties for a physical player. However, he could improve his skating ability.
- Vladimir Kubik EP
Strengths:
A huge defenseman with both size and a great stick, he is also strong enough to compete against big NHL opponents already. Also boasts pretty good hockey sense and some offensive upside.
Weaknesses:
Doesn't have optimum skating ability, which may become an issue as he climbs the organizational ladder. Also, his long-range scoring upside is limited. Must focus on being a shutdown blueliner.
Projection:
Big shutdown defenseman with upside.

Reactions: Faterson and DFC

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Well, we do know that Barb Underhill and another of the skating coaches has been spending a good bit of time working with our boys relatively recently so if Barb got hold of Cernak, she could definitely be part of the reason behind his improved skating. :thumbu:

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't think that was from the write up when he got traded here. Don't think they went with the scouting report, but I'm just going from memory.

Can't find anything. Must have been in one of their prospect ranking articles.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Can't find anything. Must have been in one of their prospect ranking articles.

Possibly, but I think it was an article when the trade broke. There was a lot of talk about Cernak the proverbial No Toolbox player.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I definitely wouldn't consider Cernak a slow or weak skater. At worst he just doesn't accelerate as quickly as "fast" skaters. Serg is kind of the same way. Both guys are plenty fast and agile once they get up to speed. Cernak might even be the better of the two on his edges at speed. He's got great balance. I've been impressed given his size.

Reactions: JDBolt

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Dz4PdAHWkAk7LEc.jpg

Cernak brings some good value

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Coulda had a second rounder too. ..and at the time of the trade everyone was thinking "that's it?", little did we know...

That was very surprising move by Kings. They needed offense, but suddenly they brought another goalie. "We need Nr. 1 goalie in every game" was the quote from GM of LA Kings... And so they ended.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That was very surprising move by Kings. They needed offense, but suddenly they brought another goalie. "We need Nr. 1 goalie in every game" was the quote from GM of LA Kings... And so they ended.

Well, I mean, at the time, the pricetag was considered cheap as hell. It was like we gave them another #1 goalie virtually for free.

It's a deal that feels like a hail mary that connected for a clean TD.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
he was a damned wrecking ball last night I LOVE THIS KID unreal... yes barb worked with him last two years at times not sure of recently who she has worked with.... hes sooooo solid

that tripping call was bullshit that was a perfect play by a dman he will get those in time no calls just shitty assed refs

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
he was a damned wrecking ball last night I LOVE THIS KID unreal... yes barb worked with him last two years at times not sure of recently who she has worked with.... hes sooooo solid

that tripping call was bull**** that was a perfect play by a dman he will get those in time no calls just ****ty assed refs
Tbf the tripping on Bogosian was a bad call too.

Reactions: DFC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad