Value of: Erik Cernak Offer sheet

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I think a team would offer the top of the 2nd round pick territory but anyone aiming higher than 4.5etc should hope for tampa to instant match and get them into more cap trouble, is Cernak worth 5 M yet?
No. Not at all. But if someone throws him that cash, I can see him signing it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No. Not at all. But if someone throws him that cash, I can see him signing it.

Ehhh, In today's market, he's not that far off. I'd put him around 4. He's a solid #4 D who's only in his sophomore year.

...It's always kind of crazy when I realize just how little experience this guy has. It feels like he's a 5 year vet.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Ehhh, In today's market, he's not that far off. I'd put him around 4. He's a solid #4 D who's only in his sophomore year.

...It's always kind of crazy when I realize just how little experience this guy has. It feels like he's a 5 year vet.
The question is he worth 5 million. My original proposal was at 5.5 for overpayment. He's not worth either of those prices right now. Any penny over 4 million is overpayment.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The question is he worth 5 million. My original proposal was at 5.5 for overpayment. He's not worth either of those prices right now. Any penny over 4 million is overpayment.

I don't think it's a huge overpayment at 5 though. What are #4s getting these days? Cernak seems like about an average #4, maybe a bit above average for a 4, with a lot of room left to develop.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
That's how we got guys to take discounts though. It was more about the NTCs than the taxes. The NTCs are designed to loosen up as the contract wears on. Problem is, several players developed faster than anticipated, and out-ran the contracts scheduled to become movable in the next couple of years.
You're right, its a negotiating tool. The Gourde one is really inexcusable though. I think we all knew the moment it was signed it was too high, too long, and had the NTC thrown in to boot.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You're right, its a negotiating tool. The Gourde one is really inexcusable though. I think we all knew the moment it was signed it was too high, too long, and had the NTC thrown in to boot.

Gourde could easily have a bounceback season. If he scores 20 goals and 45 points next year, plus kills penalties, the contract looks okay again. He's not a 65 point guy, but I don't think management ever believed he was.

I think we're piling onto Gourde a lot, which we often do when a player is playing poorly and is miss-cast in his role.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Much was made of a similar issue last year with Brayden Point -- whether he would be willing to turn down a 5-year, $9m contract from somebody else, to remain in Tampa on something closer to resembling a bridge deal.

Of course, it played out with something in the middle -- not a 2 year deal at $5m per, but the 3 years @ $6.25m. $18.75m guaranteed - that's A LOT of money.

With Cernak, I think you have arguably a bigger challenge. The 2 year version of his contract is probably going to be in the neighborhood of $2m - $2.5m. $5m sounds like a lot of money to most of us, but for a hockey player who's career could theoretically be derailed at any point, it's not. If a team comes to him and offers $4.25m x 4 years -- $17m is going to be a LOT of money to turn down.

Reactions: 4thline

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
A team can go up to $4.3m on Cernak and only give up a 2nd round pick. Assuming the Leafs don't give up their 2nd in the Campbell/Clifford deal, and they believe Cernak can be a guy that plays regularly on the top pair with Morgan Rielly, there's absolutely no reason why they can't go give Cernak a 4 year deal at $4.25m and make Tampa's life very difficult, as they probably envision him more towards a 2 year deal at $2m/season.

The problem for the Leafs in doing this -- is that it will tie up their limited cap flexibility for 10 days, and potentially mean that they miss out on another opportunity while waiting to see if Tampa matches.

As a result, it cannot be a primary plan for the Leafs, more likely something that happens as a plan C or D or E in late July.

That being said, there are 29 other teams out there... and he would be prime picking for an offer sheet if he wants to prioritize some job security rather than waiting to maybe hit a home run in 2 years.

And another team can also do that to the leads with Dermott. If you are that tight against the cap; you don't want negative atrention.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
And another team can also do that to the leads with Dermott. If you are that tight against the cap; you don't want negative atrention.

Yeah I don't think the Leafs are the prime candidates to do that for a guy like Cernak, simply because it provides 10 days of uncertainty at a time that the Leafs will need a decision.

Sure, you can retaliate with Dermott... but I don't think he's taken enough forward steps in his 4 pro seasons to justify that kind of commitment. I'd argue that after 3 years, Cernak is the better defenceaman, and has shown more long term upside as well.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
With the way he's been playing in the playoffs, he has to be an offer sheet candidate, right? A team could offer him up to 5 years 4.3M AAV and only give up a 2021 2nd as Tampa wouldn't be able to match it with Cirelli/Serg to be done and like 5M in cap space.

Personally as a sens fan, I'd give him that deal in a heartbeat. Perfect partner to grow with Chabot/Brannstrom. And we have plenty of cap space and own the CBJ and SJ 2nds so we can afford to give up a pick in the mid-late 30s for him.

Brisebois should probably trade him to get the proper value out of him.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
you guys always assume that an offer sheet that is offered will be signed
that biggest dollars are all that matters to a player
too often, sports fans overlook that the value of having money, being paid well, is you don't have to make decisions based on money
AND besides Florida is a low tax state

if i am Cernak, i stay right where i am for the next while,
with the coach who gave him his first shot as NHL regular and has given him good minutes,
on a team that is strong contender,
and where the other regular RHD are all over 30 (Shatty, Bogo, Schenn, Rutta)

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How much of a difference is 4.3-5 million in Ottawa vs 3-3.5 in Tampa per year when it comes to tax difference?

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
How much of a difference is 4.3-5 million in Ottawa vs 3-3.5 in Tampa per year when it comes to tax difference?
Pretty sure the Ontario taxes are 53% for their bracket. So he'd take home a little over 2 in Ottawa/Toronto if offer sheeted for a 2nd.

But can Tampa even afford him at 3M? The only forward with salary they could trade is Killorn, which would leave them with about 10M to sign 7-9 players, including Sergachev/Cirelli. Gonna be tough. They're definitely in a tough spot but really who cares if they win the cup.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
TML has either no 2nd or 3rd rounder from the Clifford trade. They might not have a 1st, if they miss the PO and win the Lottery this season. Dubas might be really limited in regards to offer sheet. If they only have a 2nd, Tampa matches easily. If they have a 1st and 3rd, they might have a chance, that Tampa doesn't match, but does Toronto's cap allow such an expensive addition?
You think Tampa easily Matches 4 mil?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Pretty sure the Ontario taxes are 53% for their bracket. So he'd take home a little over 2 in Ottawa/Toronto if offer sheeted for a 2nd.

But can Tampa even afford him at 3M? The only forward with salary they could trade is Killorn, which would leave them with about 10M to sign 7-9 players, including Sergachev/Cirelli. Gonna be tough. They're definitely in a tough spot but really who cares if they win the cup.
This is a point I have tried to make even moving Killorn there will not be enough Cap to sign those needing contracts. Allowing Segi or Cernak to sign a offersheet or trading them is unacceptable. Signing Cirelli at the expense of losing Killorn is not a good idea either. If Stamkos can stay healthy he can center that 2nd line so Cirelli is expendable as a RFA. The lone fix for the Cap would be to trade Kuch or Pointe or Stammer something the fans and team are not ok with.

Bridging the RFA's is just going to cause more issues in two years when Pointe needs a raise again as well as the bridge guys from this crop. The Cap is not scheduled to increase at all for at least two more years but realistically it is going to be 5 years for any significant increase. And that is if somehow this next season fans are allowed back into the arena.

And while winning the Cup this year would be a great thing breaking the bank right now is short sighted when you can extend the Cup window. If the league institutes a couple compliance buyouts it will help but then again teams will have to spend real dollars in a time where it is uncertain when they can return to profitability.

Currently the UK is considering shutting down the country again due to this virus, this will spread across the globe again. So it appears that these reports about a vaccine close is PooPoo. In fact one of the most promising vaccines was out of the UK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad