Value of: Erik Cernak Offer sheet

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This is a must for Kyle Dubas this summer, Cernak is an RFA on a divisional rival and he fills a lot of holes on the Leafs. At what number does BriseBois hang up and accept the compensation?

TML has either no 2nd or 3rd rounder from the Clifford trade. They might not have a 1st, if they miss the PO and win the Lottery this season. Dubas might be really limited in regards to offer sheet. If they only have a 2nd, Tampa matches easily. If they have a 1st and 3rd, they might have a chance, that Tampa doesn't match, but does Toronto's cap allow such an expensive addition?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Don't think Toronto is the team to do it but I would believe that someone absolutely will or atleast should throw an offersheet at him Maybe a team like Montreal (even though their weakness is on the left side) or the Blues (if Pietrangelo bolts in UFA).
1-3 years @ 4M would be very tough to match for Tampa. Not sure if he would have any interest in signing it but if Tampas offer will be sub 2M, I think it would be very tempting for him.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The Leafs are in no position to offer sheet players. The second they do that they would have to trade one possibly 2 of KK,AJ,Kerfoot and TD. Teams would offer them pennies on the dollar for those players and the Leafs would have to eat it. They might have gotten away with it if they didn't sign Muffin but now that he is signed not a chance. They should be talking trade with Tampa for him.

Reactions: Morrison

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
The Leafs are in no position to offer sheet players. The second they do that they would have to trade one possibly 2 of KK,AJ,Kerfoot and TD. Teams would offer them pennies on the dollar for those players and the Leafs would have to eat it. They might have gotten away with it if they didn't sign Muffin but now that he is signed not a chance. They should be talking trade with Tampa for him.
Who's Muffin?

Reactions: Morrison

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
A team can go up to $4.3m on Cernak and only give up a 2nd round pick. Assuming the Leafs don't give up their 2nd in the Campbell/Clifford deal, and they believe Cernak can be a guy that plays regularly on the top pair with Morgan Rielly, there's absolutely no reason why they can't go give Cernak a 4 year deal at $4.25m and make Tampa's life very difficult, as they probably envision him more towards a 2 year deal at $2m/season.

The problem for the Leafs in doing this -- is that it will tie up their limited cap flexibility for 10 days, and potentially mean that they miss out on another opportunity while waiting to see if Tampa matches.

As a result, it cannot be a primary plan for the Leafs, more likely something that happens as a plan C or D or E in late July.

That being said, there are 29 other teams out there... and he would be prime picking for an offer sheet if he wants to prioritize some job security rather than waiting to maybe hit a home run in 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaners PPGs

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think he'd be a good target for one. If I was a team desperately in need of a RHD I'd have no problem throwing say 4mil at him. Cirelli and Sergachev are Tampa's top priorities this off season, if one of our RFA's moves, it's Cernak.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
TML has either no 2nd or 3rd rounder from the Clifford trade. They might not have a 1st, if they miss the PO and win the Lottery this season. Dubas might be really limited in regards to offer sheet. If they only have a 2nd, Tampa matches easily. If they have a 1st and 3rd, they might have a chance, that Tampa doesn't match, but does Toronto's cap allow such an expensive addition?

pretty much this

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
As a Flames fan I'd offer 4m x 4 years, not sure if Tampa could match it with their cap troubles but its also a stretch for us, but he'd be a good addition to our top 4 if we lose both Ham/Brodie

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
It's that time of year where everyone talks about offer sheeting Tampa players, and how it's going to be tough to match. Difference is, this year seems more likely that we will have a tough time to match.

Cernak is the most likely target to go if it comes down to it. But on the other hand, I don't think Cernak would sign an offer sheet unless it's massive overpayment. If someone came to him and paid him 5.5 for 5 years, I can see him signing it. But that is way too much for him. Anything under 4 million, chances are we match and figure it out somewhere else hopefully.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
It's that time of year where everyone talks about offer sheeting Tampa players, and how it's going to be tough to match. Difference is, this year seems more likely that we will have a tough time to match.

Cernak is the most likely target to go if it comes down to it. But on the other hand, I don't think Cernak would sign an offer sheet unless it's massive overpayment. If someone came to him and paid him 5.5 for 5 years, I can see him signing it. But that is way too much for him. Anything under 4 million, chances are we match and figure it out somewhere else hopefully.

I think a team would offer the top of the 2nd round pick territory but anyone aiming higher than 4.5etc should hope for tampa to instant match and get them into more cap trouble, is Cernak worth 5 M yet?

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
I'd be livid if JBB let Cernak go for just a 2nd round pick. Figure it out before it comes to that.
JBB might not have a choice, his hands are extremely tied with all the NTCs. If there's one thing you can fault Yzerman for, it's for handing those things out like candy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Honestly, Toronto would be smart to offer sheet him. He actually is the exact player they need, wouldn't be overly pricey, and it would be hard for us to match a fair deal for him. I think if you get close to the 4m range we have to let him go.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
JBB might not have a choice, his hands are extremely tied with all the NTCs. If there's one thing you can fault Yzerman for, it's for handing those things out like candy.

That's how we got guys to take discounts though. It was more about the NTCs than the taxes. The NTCs are designed to loosen up as the contract wears on. Problem is, several players developed faster than anticipated, and out-ran the contracts scheduled to become movable in the next couple of years.

Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->