Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Left is Right edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I imagine it would be a combination of things. Just not as straight forward as "git gud you suck".

As far as it being no different than watching tape, I think you can see a whole lot more from above during a live game than you can watching video.

I respectfully disagree. When your watching tape with the team you're more likely to pay attention since the coaches and your fellow teammates are present. There's more seriousness around it.

Watching the game from the stands is not only deflating to a guy who would much rather be on there, but I would bet they don't even pay attention half the time. No one making sure they're actually watching/'taking mental notes or whatever'

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Oh come on that's very harsh. He's made mistakes, fine, but he hasn't looked completely out of place with the D-core we currently have.
Brannstrom is 21 and showing a lot of promise, he should be getting as much games under his belt to get better.
I don't see how you could defend sitting him being beneficial to his growth. You only get better with reps in any field, forget about hockey.

Also, at this point our games are nothing more than practice. The young guns are taking control of the team game by game. And soon enough the "veterans" will be let go off and hopefully replaced with more young players.

I want to see Logan, Abramov, Formenton, Sanderson, our next 1st round pick get games under their belt. See what we have.

I don't disagree much , if anything with how you see it. My only counter is this: if you see the player making the same type of mistake, you gotta correct it. And I personally don't think it is in a game. He is already playing sheltered minutes, and he is not exactly flourishing right now...and that is ok. I think as far as seeing what the Sens have, I think they know with Bran, which is why they are being patient with him. I am repeating myself, but just throwing a young guys out there, let them try and figure it out, it just doesn't work. And it leads to more Lazars, Ho-Sangs, and other notable busts that were given ample minutes, and couldn't figure it out. I just don't see what the rush is. What is the rush? Hurry up and grow?

My big takeaway about Bran is he is struggling mentally. And I think DJ sees that and is trying to shelter/protect him. Undeniably, Bran looks amazing when he just plays, does things without thinking. When he thinks too much, he looks appallingly slow, and scared. Like I stated earlier, I a really impressed with how DJ reads the young guys.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I don't disagree much , if anything with how you see it. My only counter is this: if you see the player making the same type of mistake, you gotta correct it. And I personally don't think it is in a game. He is already playing sheltered minutes, and he is not exactly flourishing right now...and that is ok. I think as far as seeing what the Sens have, I think they know with Bran, which is why they are being patient with him. I am repeating myself, but just throwing a young guys out there, let them try and figure it out, it just doesn't work. And it leads to more Lazars, Ho-Sangs, and other notable busts that were given ample minutes, and couldn't figure it out. I just don't see what the rush is. What is the rush? Hurry up and grow?

My big takeaway about Bran is he is struggling mentally. And I think DJ sees that and is trying to shelter/protect him. Undeniably, Bran looks amazing when he just plays, does things without thinking. When he thinks too much, he looks appallingly slow, and scared. Like I stated earlier, I a really impressed with how DJ reads the young guys.
:thumbu:

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Wolanin is bad with Gudb.
Brannstrom is meh with Gudb.
Reilly is bad with Gudb, ok with Zub.

Maybe the issue is not the LD but the RD.

Don't know, maybe try someone else?

Reactions: h2owned

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I respectfully disagree. When your watching tape with the team you're more likely to pay attention since the coaches and your fellow teammates are present. There's more seriousness around it.

Watching the game from the stands is not only deflating to a guy who would much rather be on there, but I would bet they don't even pay attention half the time. No one making sure they're actually watching/'taking mental notes or whatever'

Well you have the general manager and loads of brass in that press box with scratched players. I doubt those players are posting to twitter or swiping on tinder while they're up there.

TV angles are what they are for a reason, they compact the ice, they make stuff look faster and more intense. When you see the whole ice surface from above you can see all the space that's actually there. You can see player positions better. I don't think its comparable to watching tape at all.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wolanin is bad with Gudb.
Brannstrom is meh with Gudb.
Reilly is bad with Gudb, ok with Zub.

Maybe the issue is not the LD but the RD.

Don't know, maybe try someone else?
There is no one else .... on the left side they have Chabot who has been less than stellar all yr defensively, Reilly who has been good & bad sometimes on the same shift all yr. Wolanin has had his problems, Coburn who is over the hill & Brannstrom who also struggles defensively when pressured or in board battles with bigger players. Most of these guys have been bad regardless if they are paired with Gudbranson or not, the left side needs work.

On the right side they have Zaitsev who up to the last game was playing pretty well & Zub who has come out of nowhere to be a solid defensive defenceman. Then their is Gudbranson who IMO is the best of the worse with J. Brown behind him who has another yr on his contract. They have Thomson in Belleville who is still a mystery whether he can be an NHL defenceman or not & JBD coming from UND at the end of their season. However, placing another rookie in the lineup might not be exactly ideal either, they need help on defence & may need to trade for it.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
There is no one else .... on the left side they have Chabot who has been less than stellar all yr defensively, Reilly who has been good & bad sometimes on the same shift all yr. Wolanin has had his problems, Coburn who is over the hill & Brannstrom who also struggles defensively when pressured or in board battles with bigger players. Most of these guys have been bad regardless if they are paired with Gudbranson or not, the left side needs work.

On the right side they have Zaitsev who up to the last game was playing pretty well & Zub who has come out of nowhere to be a solid defensive defenceman. Then their is Gudbranson who IMO is the best of the worse with J. Brown behind him who has another yr on his contract. They have Thomson in Belleville who is still a mystery whether he can be an NHL defenceman or not & JBD coming from UND at the end of their season. However, placing another rookie in the lineup might not be exactly ideal either, they need help on defence & may need to trade for it.

I don't take JBD as a sure thing next year. Ok he is good with UND but not stellar and it's NCAA not NHL.
I think that EB is better on the right and all of his better flashes have been on this side this year, it's clear for me. It's the good year to try him regularly on that spot.
But even if DJ finally try it (very unlikely), who can be put whith him on the left, it's the big issue. Wolanin? It's risky. I'm agree with some, we lack good 3rd defenseman to help youngs guys.

To expect really good games from guys who play with Gudb is difficult, they try to not do mistakes and they must hide Gudb's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Not really a big deal one way or the other, not as though he’s been lights out.

Coburn instead of getting Wolanin some reps is pretty dumb though.

It is if you're trying to develop Wolanin but that's the disconnect I see between what guys here want and how I interpret their actions.

I don't believe the internal plan is to take a course of action that's best for Wolanin's development. With Brannstrom definitely that's the plan. But with every other guy we've got on D, i think it's about winning the game. And right now, that approach isn't doing Wolanin any favours.

Personally I thought it would play out this way for Wolanin

If and when he gets a chance he needs to show he's better than Mike Reilly and that he can eat those minutes and i don't think that is an easy task for him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't take JBD as a sure thing next year. Ok he is good with UND but not stellar and it's NCAA not NHL.
I think that EB is better on the right and all of his better flashes have been on this side this year, it's clear for me. It's the good year to try him regularly on that spot.
But even if DJ finally try it (very unlikely), who can be put whith him on the left, it's the big issue. Wolanin? It's risky. I'm agree with some, we lack good 3rd defenseman to help youngs guys.

To expect really good games from guys who play with Gudb is difficult, they try to not do mistakes and they must hide Gudb's.

Do you mean rushing the puck on the right?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I have no deep desire to see more Wolainin. If he’s able to get in there and does something great! But like so many guys that have faded away I don’t particularly see it.

It will take a Paul-esque glow up to stick I think to be honest.

more likely he will be let go and the board will erupt.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Is brannstrom injured?

Tsn1200 saying he's coming out of the lineup and Coburn is in.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Is brannstrom injured?

Tsn1200 saying he's coming out of the lineup and Coburn is in.
I don't think he's injured. I think he's being taken out because of his decision making in the last couple of games on D. He did have a lot of turnovers (granted the whole team did but DJ is bringing in Coburn tonight).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Promises might have been made when they signed him as a UFA.
So we promised him we wouldn't move him back to the taxi squad for non game days but had no issie with having him on the taxi squad while he acclimated to the team prior to going into the lineup? Seems awefully specific, no?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I love how Gudbranson and the rest of the vets have a license to suck in the coach's eyes and the young kids essentially have to be perfect in order to not miss any games.

Reactions: Emrasie

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
He’s easily been our 3rd best defence man in the games he’s played (After Chabot, Zub), maybe the 4th best over the season. Guds is hot garbage and Reilly has zero consistency in his game. I don’t know how you could watch the last 9 games Brannstrom has played and think “yea, Gudbrandson and Reilly provide more”.

Id like to see these pairings for a game or two:

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Reilly-Coburn

Guds, Wolanin, Coburn and Reilly all suck so we might as well try something new out.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I love how Gudbranson and the rest of the vets have a license to suck in the coach's eyes and the young kids essentially have to be perfect in order to not miss any games.
The way i look at it is " you can't teach an old dog new tricks" with the vets. But with Brannstrom, you absolutely can get bad tendencies out of his game at this age. He will be back tomorrow, no biggie

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The way i look at it is " you can't teach an old dog new tricks" with the vets. But with Brannstrom, you absolutely can get bad tendencies out of his game at this age. He will be back tomorrow, no biggie

Ya there has to be a reward and punishment system in place.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Previously posted in the other thread. Which was inexplicably deleted and not merged with this one.

As much as I dislike both players their play has been far more consistent and stable. Yes Brannstrom shows flashes of really good play but it’s not there for long enough. The lows in his game are currently too low, it’s a a work in progress. A game off could be helpful.​
There is absolutely no shot that Reilly has been more stable.

Miscues or not, Brannstrom being in the lineup makes us a much better team than Coburn. What killed us at the start of the season was the lack of puck movement from the blue line that kept us hemmed in our zone.
Coburn isnt the issue its having Mike Reilly playing for this team in crucial situations that has single handidly cost this team loses. I have never seen such a bad player have such a long leash. He literally makes up new ways to get scored on every game. Sometimes its turnovers, sometimes he gets dangled, sometimes its bad pinches, sometimes he just leaves his man to screen his own goalie for absolutely no reason. I cant wait to see what it is tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->