Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Left is Right edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Who else is on a two way on defence? You do realize that this happens all over the league and that there are no revenues. You want to complain about this tact during Normal Times? Have at it. If you want to complain about this tact while in End of Times? You are reaching
Zub is on a two way and is waiver exempt but doesn't get sent to the taxi squad.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
And wolanin. Would seem like a fine time to get him in? (Since we are developing reilly who is scratch proof)

I think Wolanin won't see a game for a while. Maybe if Coburn stinks he is next man up, or they go back to Brannstrom. I think Wolanin has run out of chances here

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not really a big deal one way or the other, not as though he’s been lights out.

Coburn instead of getting Wolanin some reps is pretty dumb though.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not really a big deal one way or the other, not as though he’s been lights out.

Coburn instead of getting Wolanin some reps is pretty dumb though.
Well the the second biggest issue in my mind. I think all of us expected some struggles and then the lineup to be in and out. But not in and out with coburn.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I doubt they just scratch someone, tell them they sucked and they're sitting. They must be explaining to him why and what he needs to work on. I imagine watching games from the press box is a teaching tool more than a punishment.

I'm just speculating. But it would be odd to me if there wasn't more to scratching a player than "git gud scrub"

Of course. But these coaches today are not just coaching, they are also raising hockey players. Like, I can bet DJ's tact with Brannstrom is going to be gentler than with a guy like Wolanin. One is the Brannchise, and the other, if not for his sexy NHL last name, might have been done by now

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
No. It is called coaching and accountability. It will make this kid better, and DJ has to teach him how to be a pro. Just because he is scratched, it doesn't mean that he is a pariah. He is teaching a young player and this is part of the process. Throwing a kid out there and try and learn how to not make mistakes is actually counterproductive. He needs the coaches to help him, and the player has to trust the coach.

a 21 year old defenceman, oozing with talent, is struggling. He needs to be coached

Then coach him and explain to him what he needs to do. By scratching him you're only punishing him for making a mistake.
Mistakes that your so-called veterans are also doing with little to no accountability.
Brannstrom will only get better by getting regular minutes. We're not competing so I don't see why you don't let them learn from trial and error.

Reactions: Emrasie

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I doubt they just scratch someone, tell them they sucked and they're sitting. They must be explaining to him why and what he needs to work on. I imagine watching games from the press box is a teaching tool more than a punishment.

I'm just speculating. But it would be odd to me if there wasn't more to scratching a player than "git gud scrub"

You'd be surprised.
You say teaching tool to watch the game from the stands? There's no benefit to that when watching film is part of the coaching already. At least I hope it is, all professional sports teams do it.
You only get better by getting reps in and learning from mistakes.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Bad. We have a bunch of d men still learning. Mixed with bad d men. His partner has been one of the worst d men in the league for nearly a decade.

Right, but Gud won't become good. Brann is still learning. DJ has spoken many times that he benches a player to "protect them". If you want to believe him or not. But he spoke of this that VCR game where Stutzle was minus 4 or 5, and he kept him on the bench. He does the same thing, imo, with Brannstrom. Why throw him out in a 4-4 game when he was struggling, only for him to make another gaffe against the Habs and feel even worse?

It is a fine line. I am good with some patience sprinkled in. There is no need to just throw a guy out there if he is making fundamental mistakes

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Right, but Gud won't become good. Brann is still learning. DJ has spoken many times that he benches a player to "protect them". If you want to believe him or not. But he spoke of this that VCR game where Stutzle was minus 4 or 5, and he kept him on the bench. He does the same thing, imo, with Brannstrom. Why throw him out in a 4-4 game when he was struggling, only for him to make another gaffe against the Habs and feel even worse?

It is a fine line. I am good with some patience sprinkled in. There is no need to just throw a guy out there if he is making fundamental mistakes
Every single player will make fundamental mistakes. It happens. The scratch for coburn is not how he’s going to learn

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Then coach him and explain to him what he needs to do. By scratching him you're only punishing him for making a mistake.
Mistakes that your so-called veterans are also doing with little to no accountability.
Brannstrom will only get better by getting regular minutes. We're not competing so I don't see why you don't let them learn from trial and error.

So you want the coaches to treat a game like a practice? They are expected to perform in a game, not work on their game. Guys are blocking shots, loosing teeth to win, but Erik has to gag away when he is struggling. How is that better?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It doesn't make much difference, Brannstrom is nothing more than a bottom pairing guy on his good days right now, he hasn't forced his way in.

We have 3 NHL D and then 5/6 guys who would be healthy scratches elsewhere, or trying to get into games with Brannstrom. There should be a bigger rotation of guys rather than the 2/3 that are in and out on the backend for sure.

Nothing wrong with Brannstrom watching from the pressbox for a game.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You'd be surprised.
You say teaching tool to watch the game from the stands? There's no benefit to that when watching film is part of the coaching already. At least I hope it is, all professional sports teams do it.
You only get better by getting reps in and learning from mistakes.

I imagine it would be a combination of things. Just not as straight forward as "git gud you suck".

As far as it being no different than watching tape, I think you can see a whole lot more from above during a live game than you can watching video.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Every single player will make fundamental mistakes. It happens. The scratch for coburn is not how he’s going to learn

I understand what you are saying, believe me. I would love for Bran to be out there, figure it out so to speak. But the mistakes he is making , at this stage in his development, can be coached. Coburn is an old dog. Everyone makes mistakes, of course. Hockey is a game of mistakes. Problem is, this kid needs to fix them so he doesn't develop habits, which is why I appreciate a guy like DJ looking after the young guys. I think at this stage, it looks pretty clear that he seems to have a good pulse on the young players. I have to give the coach the benefit of the doubt

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I imagine it would be a combination of things. Just not as straight forward as "git gud you suck".

As far as it being no different than watching tape, I think you can see a whole lot more from above during a live game than you can watching video.
Anyone who thinks video is the same clearly has never had to do both. It's nowhere near the same.

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
So you want the coaches to treat a game like a practice? They are expected to perform in a game, not work on their game. Guys are blocking shots, loosing teeth to win, but Erik has to gag away when he is struggling. How is that better?

Oh come on that's very harsh. He's made mistakes, fine, but he hasn't looked completely out of place with the D-core we currently have.
Brannstrom is 21 and showing a lot of promise, he should be getting as much games under his belt to get better.
I don't see how you could defend sitting him being beneficial to his growth. You only get better with reps in any field, forget about hockey.

Also, at this point our games are nothing more than practice. The young guns are taking control of the team game by game. And soon enough the "veterans" will be let go off and hopefully replaced with more young players.

I want to see Logan, Abramov, Formenton, Sanderson, our next 1st round pick get games under their belt. See what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad