Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
According to this list and a few others I have seen so far this summer, it looks like our "stacked" farm system isn't all that "stacked' as we have been led to believe. I guess the 2020 draft is when we start seeing some of our prospects in the top 10, but when you trade three major chips, especially when you trade a guy like Karlsson, you would expect a top 10 prospect back in return, then again, we are looking for character guys over skilled guys, so I guess this makes sense.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
According to this list and a few others I have seen so far this summer, it looks like our "stacked" farm system isn't all that "stacked' as we have been led to believe. I guess the 2020 draft is when we start seeing some of our prospects in the top 10, but when you trade three major chips, especially when you trade a guy like Karlsson, you would expect a top 10 prospect back in return, then again, we are looking for character guys over skilled guys, so I guess this makes sense.
Tbf we have yet to see any of the more reputable publications take a run at farm systems. This one has some pretty strange opinions...

Also worth noting pretty much everyone agrees our systems strength lies in its depth of tier two guys like JBD Thomson Brown Wolanin ect. Brannstrom and Batherson aren't cracking top 10 lists which is fine.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Also worth noting pretty much everyone agrees our systems strength lies in its depth of tier two guys like JBD Thomson Brown Wolanin ect. Brannstrom and Batherson aren't cracking top 10 lists which is fine.

I realize it's not a popular opinion but I'd much rather have a full complement of solid core players that can mesh as a unit rather than rely on a few stars. The NHL isn't the NBA. You can go far with a strong team game and good systems. And yes, ideally you have both stars and the perfect supporting cast, but that's unlikely and also risky with injuries.

I'll take a team of solid 1B and 2A type players with good character over most.

Also, on a separate note, I fully believe in development of players. The line that separates those that make it or not is often extremely narrow. Except for the obvious statistical outliers (generational players), most of these guys are at very comparable levels skill wise. I think the team needs to invest more in player development. As in actual scientific athletic training and constant skills practice in the off season. Think of it like training an army. I'll never understand why they just hope the kids train hard in the summer and develop in the minors. If I owned the team, I'd have a few townhouses (like a little complex) and these kids would be training at the Sensplex and in the weight room all off season. Everyone thinks that they're training hard until they meet someone who actually trains hard. That athletic line (coupled with skills development) could push them over the edge as far as having a career in the NHL. Even the best players practice constantly.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
should be even higher than that. I would never trade Brannstrom for Adam Fox

Wow... That list is, uh... something else...

Zadina at 4th and Veleno at 17? They seem overly high on Sandin too putting him ahead of Dobson.

Eww... Boqvist ahead of Hughes... Not a fan of that one either.

Yeah.

I'd have Brannstrom ahead of Veleno, Fox and Boqvist for sure.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah.

I'd have Brannstrom ahead of Veleno, Fox and Boqvist for sure.
I try to evaluate lists based on how all non sens prospects are ranked. If i like the order of all the guys that aren't sens but dislike where the sens fit in then it's probably me justbeing biased. In this case i dislike most of the list and won't even bother worrying about where sens are

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

We have 6 of the top 100 which would accurately reflect our mid tier prospect depth. If Tkatchuk went back to College last year would likely have 3 in top 50 / 7 top 100 with JBD not on the list.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Chabot and Brannstrom could turn out to be a far better combination than Karlsson carrying the team. Chabot is already showing that he could be as good as Karlsson and Brannstrom has looked hella good in the AHL.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Chabot and Brannstrom could turn out to be a far better combination than Karlsson carrying the team. Chabot is already showing that he could be as good as Karlsson and Brannstrom has looked hella good in the AHL.

I don't think either one will be as good as Karlsson but having one of these guys on the ice for 50 out of 60 minutes is a pretty exciting proposition in the next few years. If Thomson and/or JBD can translate their game to the NHL level we'll be in a very good spot. I like Jaros as a stay at home guy in the top 4 eventually too. And then we have guys like Lajoie and Wolanin to round things out. Our future on the blueline looks pretty darn good to me.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think either one will be as good as Karlsson but having one of these guys on the ice for 50 out of 60 minutes is a pretty exciting proposition in the next few years. If Thomson and/or JBD can translate their game to the NHL level we'll be in a very good spot. I like Jaros as a stay at home guy in the top 4 eventually too. And then we have guys like Lajoie and Wolanin to round things out. Our future on the blueline looks pretty darn good to me.

Chabot - JBD
Brunnstrom - Lassi T
Wolanin - Jaros

Reactions: derriko and NB613

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

How quickly people forget how dominant Karlsson was.

Chabot, in his age 22 season, put up 55 points in 70 games. A very good season, for sure.
Karlsson, in his age 22 season, put up 78 points in 81 games and won the Norris. A historic season.

I think Chabot's going to be a top end #1 guy. But this franchise has been around for 27 years and we've only ever had a player like Karlsson once. From age 21-26, he was in a class with the likes of Bourque, Potvin, Lidstrom, etc.

It's a shame what's happened from an injury perspective to Karlsson, but Chabot, even at his best, doesn't compare to what we were able to watch for 8 years.

Putting that expectation on him is unfair, and Brannstrom has shown nothing to indicate he's on that trajectory.

So let's slow it down with the "far" better combination outlook.

We also though Meszaros, Wiercioch, Cowen, etc were going to be the next big thing. More often than not, it doesn't pan out.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Chabot, in his age 22 season, put up 55 points in 70 games. A very good season, for sure.
Karlsson, in his age 22 season, put up 78 points in 81 games and won the Norris. A historic season.

I think Chabot's going to be a top end #1 guy. But this franchise has been around for 27 years and we've only ever had a player like Karlsson once. From age 21-26, he was in a class with the likes of Bourque, Potvin, Lidstrom, etc.

It's a shame what's happened from an injury perspective to Karlsson, but Chabot, even at his best, doesn't compare to what we were able to watch for 8 years.

Putting that expectation on him is unfair, and Brannstrom has shown nothing to indicate he's on that trajectory.

We also though Meszaros, Wiercioch, Cowen, etc were going to be the next big thing. More often than not, it doesn't pan out.

I have a Karlsson Jersey hanging in my closet. I don't think I forget how dominant he was/is. But I see that same flash in Chabot. The thing about Chabot is that his skating is the most effortless I have ever seen, sans maybe historical video of Bobby Orr. Karlsson is quick and a beautiful skater, but Chabot flows down the ice like he is on air. Don't forget who Karlsson was surrounded by: Spezza, Alfredsson, etc.

I don't think you quite understand what I've said. I am not saying that either defender is actually better than Karlsson. I am saying having both will make our team better than only having Karlsson. Do you understand the difference between having one elite defender carrying the load, vs two? Brannstrom will be in the NHL, and play in the top 4. His skating and puck possession is enough to guarantee that. Meszaros was decent, unfortunately Wiercioch and Cowen didn't work out... but I think Cowen did himself in for the most part.

Reactions: NB613

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

We coulda had Karlsson and Chabot longterm, lol.

Karlsson + Chabot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chabot + Brannstorm.

Reactions: 18Hossa and NB613

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Sure... not knocking EK. ...but maybe we should also remember that EK had a good team around him when he started. These guys (Chabot) do not have the mature level of skill around them.

We were all surprised how well he did last year.

That being said, why am I talking about two other guys in the Brannstrom thread again?

We’ll see how it plays out.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Sure... not knocking EK. ...but maybe we should also remember that EK had a good team around him when he started. These guys (Chabot) do not have the mature level of skill around them.

In that Norris winning season, Karlsson had Spezza, a 38 year old Alfredsson, and Michalek/Foligno.

Chabot, last year, had Duchene and Stone.

The reason we were betterthat year was because the level Karlsson was at. He dominated every game, and as a player, was on par with the likes of Crosby and Ovechkin, in terms of impact.

I love Chabot, but he's not that. And likely never will be. He'll be a great No.1, but he won't be a top 5 player in the league. For a period of 4 years, Karlsson was that.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
In that Norris winning season, Karlsson had Spezza, a 38 year old Alfredsson, and Michalek/Foligno.

Chabot, last year, had Duchene and Stone.

The reason we were betterthat year was because the level Karlsson was at. He dominated every game, and as a player, was on par with the likes of Crosby and Ovechkin, in terms of impact.

I love Chabot, but he's not that. And likely never will be. He'll be a great No.1, but he won't be a top 5 player in the league. For a period of 4 years, Karlsson was that.

Chabot is more of a Pietrangelo with a bit more offensive upside, and even smoother skating. I dunno what Brannstrom is, but he sure looks a lot like a less experienced style of Erik Karlsson.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Doesn't Brannstrom look a bit like Joffrey from Game of Thrones?

url
url

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brannstrom is good but he is not Erik Karlsson good. He has a lot of the same style but not at Karlsson's level. He is no where near as fast as Karlsson for 1.
A one time NHLer he reminds me of is Kimmo Timonen. Timonen was about the same size and was a really good skater. He put 50+ pts up twice and 40 + a few times. The game is a little different now and its a bit easier going for smaller skilled Dmen. Looking forward to see how he does this year. I expect him to take another step. He should be a standout for Belleville.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Come on Chabot has a long long way to go before he he is on the same level as EK was.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chabot has a long way to go to get to Pietrangelo defensively...

I think Chabot has great skating ability and offensive skills but is lacking defensive acumen and ability against the top forwards at this time. I think he will improve significantly over the next few years and I hope the team signs him so we can see his development while a Senator. It will cost a lot to keep him here as I suspect MONTREAL and perhaps a big city USA team might give him an offer sheet that the Senators would be hard-pressed to match.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Brannstrom is good but he is not Erik Karlsson good. He has a lot of the same style but not at Karlsson's level. He is no where near as fast as Karlsson for 1.
A one time NHLer he reminds me of is Kimmo Timonen. Timonen was about the same size and was a really good skater. He put 50+ pts up twice and 40 + a few times. The game is a little different now and its a bit easier going for smaller skilled Dmen. Looking forward to see how he does this year. I expect him to take another step. He should be a standout for Belleville.

I get the Timonen comparison from a size and skating perspective but Timonen's 2 years at 50+ plus points were years into his Nhl career which didn't begin until years after his 18 year old season. I didn't look it up but I'm thinking Timonen was 30ish when he put up 50 points. Brannstrom is light years ahead of where Timonen was at 19 and I'll be pretty disappointed if Brannstrom's career doesn't far surpass Timonen's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad