Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Belleville will be fine. Brannstrom will be fine. We're all fine.

I mean except for our roster being an absolute Cuyahoga river fire, we're fine.

Reactions: billpo

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
A lot of fans want Belleville icing the best lineup possible to maximize success at the AHL level, nothing wrong with that. When you also consider that Brown and Batherson were on the ice for 5 minutes a night in Ottawa, it was a waste of a callup.

There is nothing wrong with wanting Belleville to do well and at this point it remains unclear if Brannstrom will even miss a game with Belleville. At the same time it can be more beneficial for the individuals to see where they are at and where they need to be. I think player development is more important and there is something to be said for having them play in the AHL playoffs but NHL experience is invaluable.

And for the sake of accuracy they were around 10 minutes each night they played.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I'm sure Jesse Puljujärvi preferred to make the NHL right away instead of undertaking a proper development path, how's that working out for him?
I wasn't talking about the development part, but you're also comparing JP who started in the NHL after being drafted to Brown and Batherson who played their first NHL games in their age 21 season.

All I was saying is, the players themselves would not consider it a waste to be called up for a few games since that's what they all strive for.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm sure Jesse Puljujärvi preferred to make the NHL right away instead of undertaking a proper development path, how's that working out for him?

I mean the Puljujarvi siatuation is not even a comparable to anything happening in Ottawa. Brown, Batherson and Brannstrom at the very least have a good grasp on the english language. Edmonton took a kid who struggles with a language and failed to provide him a mentor to help him learn what he needs to.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I mean the Puljujarvi siatuation is not even a comparable to anything happening in Ottawa. Brown, Batherson and Brannstrom at the very least have a good grasp on the english language. Edmonton took a kid who struggles with a language and failed to provide him a mentor to help him learn what he needs to.

Finding another example is not the problem, there's countless examples of prospects being rushed. My main counter was to the OP suggesting that we should be playing Brown and Batherson at the NHL level simply because they prefer to be here over the AHL.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I wasn't talking about the development part, but you're also comparing JP who started in the NHL after being drafted to Brown and Batherson who played their first NHL games in their age 21 season.

All I was saying is, the players themselves would not consider it a waste to be called up for a few games since that's what they all strive for.
Both Brown and Batherson are currently in their age 20 season, and Brown played 4 games last year at age 19.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
From what I've seen of his games from Belleville, he's not ready for the NHL. Needs to get bigger and stronger. Him coming up to play a game in the NHL is a desperate move by Dorion to sell tickets to tonight's game. He's going to get manhandled. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Acidrain66 and h2

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Finding another example is not the problem, there's countless examples of prospects being rushed. My main counter was to the OP suggesting that we should be playing Brown and Batherson at the NHL level simply because they prefer to be here over the AHL.

Before providing examples of prospects being rushed and applying to this situation you would have to first identify what qualifies a prospect being rushed. The handling of Batherson, Brown and Brannstrom even in the most generous terms would not meet the criteria. Money aside, I think the players appreciate the opportunity to get NHL games under their belt and it can be beneficial to get a few games, especially late in the season.

Reactions: derriko

h2

Mar 26, 2002
There is nothing wrong with wanting Belleville to do well and at this point it remains unclear if Brannstrom will even miss a game with Belleville. At the same time it can be more beneficial for the individuals to see where they are at and where they need to be. I think player development is more important and there is something to be said for having them play in the AHL playoffs but NHL experience is invaluable.

And for the sake of accuracy they were around 10 minutes each night they played.

I agree with the majority of this post, but that last part is certainly debatable considering the environment these prospects will be exposed to with our current roster. That can do more harm than good when you're getting destroyed every night. In general terms I would agree, but our NHL environment is a complete mess right now.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Both Brown and Batherson are currently in their age 20 season, and Brown played 4 games last year at age 19.
Sorry my fault, Brown did play last year. But he is 21, two years after being drafted). It depends how you word it. I guess I should say 20/21 year old season. but regardless it's a big difference from a guy like Puul

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I agree with the majority of this post, but that last part is certainly debatable considering the environment these prospects will be exposed to with our current roster. That can do more harm than good when you're getting destroyed every night. In general terms I would agree, but our NHL environment is a complete mess right now.

Obviously winning games at the NHL level would be preferred and I would have liked to see the rebuild take a different path than the one it is on but from what I know about the the attitude from around the team there isn't anything that concerns me. If I had heard some of the toxic things I've heard come out of Edmonton during the days of Hall and Eberle I would be concerned but I get the indication it's a positive environment despite the on ice results.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Sorry my fault, Brown did play last year. But he is 21, two years after being drafted). It depends how you word it. I guess I should say 20/21 year old season. but regardless it's a big difference from a guy like Puul
Well he was drafted as an 18 year old player.

Draft age is age on Sept 15.

Age for the upcoming season is age on June 30, but you're right he is currently aged 21

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
From what I've seen of his games from Belleville, he's not ready for the NHL. Needs to get bigger and stronger. Him coming up to play a game in the NHL is a desperate move by Dorion to sell tickets to tonight's game. He's going to get manhandled. Hope I'm wrong.
I don't think anyone is rushing out to buy tickets because of this move. Like Smash said, they had to call somebody up. There is no pressure on the kid even if he gets manhandled.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Before providing examples of prospects being rushed and applying to this situation you would have to first identify what qualifies a prospect being rushed. The handling of Batherson, Brown and Brannstrom even in the most generous terms would not meet the criteria. Money aside, I think the players appreciate the opportunity to get NHL games under their belt and it can be beneficial to get a few games, especially late in the season.

I suppose I can take a wait and see approach as I agree that a taste at this level is not harmful, however if Brannstrom finishes the year off here, I see this callup as a very illogical decision based on many factors, and that's where my initial reaction was stemming from.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I don't think anyone is rushing out to buy tickets because of this move. Like Smash said, they had to call somebody up. There is no pressure on the kid even if he gets manhandled.
There is a far greater chance that someone will buy tickets with Brannstrom up here instead of Falk. This team without Chabot has zero star power right now and the org has been taking heat from across the continent because of their so called "rebuild", so why not bring up the prized acquisition and hope he helps ease the pain of what we have lost. Low risk/high reward for the org in my opinion. I just hope that it is one of the reasons he is being called up and not THE main reason.

This is actually a comment applauding Dorion and Melnyk for actually recognizing that this fanbase needs something exciting to go out and see instead of hoping we enjoy the work ethic of Boro and Ceci, so no need here for the usual suspects to get up in arms about my comment.

I do agree with the poster above, there is no reason that Brannstrom should be here for an extended amount of time, get Justin Falk up here to play meaningless minutes and let Brannstrom mesh and gel with his AHL teammates just in time for a playoff run.

Reactions: derriko

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He won’t play much and has a game tomorrow that he won’t miss obviously. Not a big deal. Excited to see him play with no pressure!

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
This guy went from being a decent prospect on an expansion team to being proclaimed the second coming of Erik Karlsson in Ottawa by the GM and the media, but no pressure though.

He was considered more than decent while with Vegas. The Karlsson comparisons are definitely unfair, but the talent is there. If it wasn't he would not have been the centerpiece of the Stone deal.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
This guy went from being a decent prospect on an expansion team to being proclaimed the second coming of Erik Karlsson in Ottawa by the GM and the media, but no pressure though.

Are we fighting for a playoff spot? We’re dead last in the league. The only pressure is that of his first NHL game and he’ll be eased in. I don’t think he cares or is aware of most of what Dohrion and the media have said, and rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad