Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Gaudreau (as did White) and White both burned their year 1 of the ELC upon signing due to no longer being eligible for an ELC slide.

Brannstrom takes 10 games, but it is still the same process.

1 game wasn't enough for the burned year of the ELC to qualify as a pro year
10 games won't be enough for the burned year of the ELC to qualify as a pro year

Both cases prevent offer sheets when the player hits RFA status because they have not accrued enough pro experience.
How come it's saying on cap friendly Brannstrom's contact isn't sliding? Likewise with Necas.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
But why? Belleville needs him for the run and he will learn more down there. Plus he needs to stay down in Belleville and not play games here (10 games) to begin his contract and so we can avoid having to protect him in the Seattle draft .

The ineptitude of this franchise continues . No reason to bring him up. It's like Dorion is incapable of leaving his shiny new toys in a box and instead rips open the package, plays with them for a while and wrecks them of their value .

Reactions: h2

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Gaudreau (as did White) and White both burned their year 1 of the ELC upon signing due to no longer being eligible for an ELC slide.

Brannstrom takes 10 games, but it is still the same process.

1 game wasn't enough for the burned year of the ELC to qualify as a pro year
10 games won't be enough for the burned year of the ELC to qualify as a pro year

Both cases prevent offer sheets when the player hits RFA status because they have not accrued enough pro experience.
White and Gaudreau burned their year 1 without earning 1 year of pro-experience.

From the CBA (10.2 a.i.A) [10.2 is the RFA section]:
"For the purposes of this Section 10.2(a), a Player aged 18 or 19 earns a
year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games
in a given NHL Season, and a Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20
between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signs his
first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or
more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League Year."

Gaudreau and White did not meet that criteria bolded, Gaudreau had 1 professional game, White had 6.

Brannstrom meets the unbolded area, if he plays 10 games, and therefore this year would not slide, and he would earn 1 pro-year experience. He would then earn a pro-year in the next two years, earning 3 as his contract expires, making him eligible for RFA status.

The White and Gaudreau situations are unique to college players since they are not playing pro-games.

Unless Brannstrom gets injured and misses a season without reaching 10 pro-games, he will be RFA and offer sheet eligible.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
White and Gaudreau burned their year 1 without earning 1 year of pro-experience.

From the CBA (10.2 a.i.A) [10.2 is the RFA section]:
"For the purposes of this Section 10.2(a), a Player aged 18 or 19 earns a
year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games
in a given NHL Season, and a Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20
between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signs his
first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or
more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League Year."

Gaudreau and White did not meet that criteria bolded, Gaudreau had 1 professional game, White had 6.

Brannstrom meets the unbolded area, if he plays 10 games, and therefore this year would not slide, and he would earn 1 pro-year experience. He would then earn a pro-year in the next two years, earning 3 as his contract expires, making him eligible for RFA status.

The White and Gaudreau situations are unique to college players since they are not playing pro-games.

Unless Brannstrom gets injured and misses a season without reaching 10 pro-games, he will be RFA and offer sheet eligible.

Thanks for the clarification, you are right on this.

Reactions: Engineer

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
But why? Belleville needs him for the run and he will learn more down there. Plus he needs to stay down in Belleville and not play games here (10 games) to begin his contract and so we can avoid having to protect him in the Seattle draft .

The ineptitude of this franchise continues . No reason to bring him up. It's like Dorion is incapable of leaving his shiny new toys in a box and instead rips open the package, plays with them for a while and wrecks them of their value .

I mean there's an easy solution for that. Don't play him in 10 games, which they won't. He's only up because Boro is hurt. I don't see the harm in bringing him up for this game, none at all. He's the best option to call up today - either sit at home doing nothing or play in the NHL.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

They had to call up a D for a game. There's no harm in it being Brannstrom. Unless he really stands out I doubt he is here past the weekend. I don't know why people have to get upset about something that is unlikely to occur.

Reactions: gab6511

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
They had to call up a D for a game. There's no harm in it being Brannstrom. Unless he really stands out I doubt he is here past the weekend. I don't know why people have to get upset about something that is unlikely to occur.
yeah, really no downside to this and it benefits the player way in many ways.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

It is an emergency callup, not a regular callup situation

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
How come it's saying on cap friendly Brannstrom's contact isn't sliding? Likewise with Necas.

It does say he is eligible for an ELC slide. Which he is so long as he does not play 9 games. He is able to play in the AHL because he was not drafted out of the CHL, and therefore not obligated to remain there until he is 20.

The thing I was wrong about as brought up by @Engineer was the offer sheet aspect. It turns out that 10 games is the threshold. So if Brannstrom burns year 1 of his ELC, he can still be signed to an offer sheet. (I was correct about White being exempt).

So to clarify, we can burn year 1 of his ELC without having to make him eligible for expansion, BUT he would still be susceptible to being signed to an offer sheet.

There's still a possible strategic advantage to burning the first year of an ELC like Anaheim seemed to have done with Comtois. It hasn't become a trend or anything, but it seems like that's what Anaheim did. I'd imagine the logic is that we're now seeing a lot of players insist on playing out their ELCs rather than signing a year earlier (Marner, Tkachuk, etc), and if the player is trending upwards, it puts the team in a position where if they burn a year early on, they'll save money on the second contract by being able to negotiate it a year earlier before the player hopefully has their best season.

(But again, there's no offer sheet advantage unless it's a 20+ year old RFA like White, or Gaudreau who can burn a year with less than 10 games played).

Knowing that I was wrong about the offer sheet aspect, it'll surprise me if we burn a year. With that said, it might not be a bad move if we're going to have excessive amount of salary/cap available to us in the short term, and if it can allow us to get Brannstrom cheaper on his second deal by signing him sooner. It's basically sacrificing salary/cap 3 years from now in order to possibly put us in a position where whatever contract we sign Brannstrom to will save us salary+cap in years 4 and beyond of his career here.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I mean there's an easy solution for that. Don't play him in 10 games, which they won't. He's only up because Boro is hurt. I don't see the harm in bringing him up for this game, none at all. He's the best option to call up today - either sit at home doing nothing or play in the NHL.

The issue is I could easily see him staying up or playing some this year and next . No reason for either

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

He apparently has to play 11 games to be eligible.

I'm open to the idea that I might be wrong about this, obviously, as we've already learned in this thread the CBA is fairly expansive....

Him and Comtois are both under 20 and eligible for an ELC slide, so I'm assuming it works the same for both of them.

The Sens have three choices....

1-Don't burn a year of Brannstrom's ELC
2-Burn a year by playing Brannstrom 10 games, but don't play him 11 (He won't be eligible for expansion)
3-Play him in 11+ of the 12 remaining games. Burns a year, and makes him eligible for expansion.

3 makes no sense so it should be thrown out the window.

There are merits to both 1 and 2.

Defenseman take longer to develop and settle in at the NHL level. So if we burn year 1 of his ELC now, we could possibly sign him to a 6-8 year extension as soon as July 1st 2020 (with 1 year left on his ELC) instead of having to wait until July 1st 2021.

This could be the difference between getting him at Shea Theodore/Seth Jones type money (6.5-7.5 percent of the salary cap) or getting him at Ekblad/Karlsson/Doughty/Pietrangelo type money (10-11 percent of the cap).

It's all relative though, this is assuming he's projecting to be a top pairing #1 defender. If he's projecting to be lesser than that, just adjust the contract to that.

The point is, if his ELC finishes earlier, when he gets a chance to sign his second contract, it's likely that he'll be less established than he would be if he had 1 more year to play his stock up. Given that the Senators do not need cap/salary relief in the short term after trading away all of our big money contracts, it might make sense to sacrifice that 3rd year of his ELC in order to attempt to put us in a better position to negotiate his 2nd contract.

Reactions: derriko and DJB

h2

Mar 26, 2002

This is exactly how I feel.

Leave it up to management to rush our prospects, they just can't help themselves and they do this time and time again. Belleville should be prioritized over Ottawa right now.

Reactions: DJB

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This is exactly how I feel.

Leave it up to management to rush our prospects, they just can't help themselves and they do this time and time again. Belleville should be prioritized over Ottawa right now.

Is it management or is it the fans. We literally went through this with Brown and Batherson. A good number of people were outraged because they were recalled 3 weeks ago. Belleville won two games without them, Brown and Batherson were returned. All the outrage for nothing. How are we having this exact conversation 3 weeks later.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
He shouldn't be . He can stay down next year too
I disagree with that. Maybe not the whole season, but if he isn't in the NHL at the end of the year that would be unexpected/disappointing, in my opinion. He should not need two years of AHL. I expect him up by December if he isn't in the NHL to start.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Is it management or is it the fans. We literally went through this with Brown and Batherson. A good number of people were outraged because they were recalled 3 weeks ago. Belleville won two games without them, Brown and Batherson were returned. All the outrage for nothing. How are we having this exact conversation 3 weeks later.

A lot of fans want Belleville icing the best lineup possible to maximize success at the AHL level, nothing wrong with that. When you also consider that Brown and Batherson were on the ice for 5 minutes a night in Ottawa, it was a waste of a callup.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
A lot of fans want Belleville icing the best lineup possible to maximize success at the AHL level, nothing wrong with that. When you also consider that Brown and Batherson were on the ice for 5 minutes a night in Ottawa, it was a waste of a callup.
If you ask Brown and Batherson they'd rather be in the NHL though, for that cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad