Erie Otters 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Makes sense

they needed size and a right shot D. Plus he adds some experience. Gave up nothing for him. Last time OHL played, he was -9 in 43GP. Only 3 assists. Given his size (6’2 185lBS) and numbers, appears he is a stay at home guy and hopefully one who uses the body.

Depth chart looking something like

Sova - Morton
Kulakov/Tichacek - Thompson
Xxx - Kyrou

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

Makes sense

they needed size and a right shot D. Plus he adds some experience. Gave up nothing for him. Last time OHL played, he was -9 in 43GP. Only 3 assists. Given his size (6’2 185lBS) and numbers, appears he is a stay at home guy and hopefully one who uses the body.

Depth chart looking something like

Sova - Morton
Kulakov/Tichacek - Thompson
Xxx - Kyrou

If we have Morton and Sova in line 1, that should be a pretty big line! Hopefully Sova lives up to the hype and Morton has progressed over the past year!

The Green Tank

Jun 5, 2021
Thompson should be a decent 4/5 D for you. He is defensive and hits all the time. He’s also not afraid to drop the gloves. Skating needs improving. I didn’t mind him at all but we are deep with young D and he was odd man out.

Reactions: NOA and Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If we have Morton and Sova in line 1, that should be a pretty big line! Hopefully Sova lives up to the hype and Morton has progressed over the past year!
Sova looked strong at the showcase in Erie. Supposedly Morton looked like a really solid stay at home defender. They could balance out each other nicely. Or could see Thompson with Sova and Morton with one of the imports. Kyrou undersized but he has had 1.5 years now to add strength. He’s another wild card.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Hopefully this means the streaming quality is better too. I’m also looking forward to a new voice for the Otters. Nothing against Cooney, but I think he was too much of a homer. You certainly need to favor the home team but I don’t need my announcer not calling it like he sees it or getting overly hyped for the home team winning a regular season game

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013

Hopefully this means the streaming quality is better too. I’m also looking forward to a new voice for the Otters. Nothing against Cooney, but I think he was too much of a homer. You certainly need to favor the home team but I don’t need my announcer not calling it like he sees it or getting overly hyped for the home team winning a regular season game

I never thought Cooney was a homer. Mark Jeanneret was a homer.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I never thought Cooney was a homer. Mark Jeanneret was a homer.
They both were. Just with different styles. But consistently screaming my ears off is not fun. At least Jeanneret was more natural and did a better job at conversation during dead periods of no play. Either way, I don’t think a change here is bad. Fresh voice after 1.5 years off could be good

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

As someone who wasn't an Erie fan, listening to Cooney call games was tough. He wasnt the Saginaw level of being a homer, but he was up there for sure

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Carey Terrance competing in U17 Five Nations Tournament for USA. In pre tourney play, US beat Swiss 8-4. Terrance racked up team high 6 points (2g, 4a). Amazing!

Link to full stats: Game

also see links to his two goals:

Reactions: EON

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
You can watch Terrance play live via YouTube in this Five Nations Tournament
https://bit.ly/2Uqnq7X

I turned it on just in time to watch Terrance go in all alone and score lol

USA up 3-0 on CZE in the 1st period. Terrance with 2 goals

so far, this looks like a great pick by Erie at 10 overall

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Terrance finished with 2g 1a in 5-2 win. Led team in goals and tied for lead in points with 3

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Terrance is looking like a tremendous talent, should step into the #3C role fairly quickly imo. A bit surprised they haven't signed him yet, eager to see that get done soon and also interested to see which imports (if any) show up at camp in a few weeks.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Terrance is looking like a tremendous talent, should step into the #3C role fairly quickly imo. A bit surprised they haven't signed him yet, eager to see that get done soon and also interested to see which imports (if any) show up at camp in a few weeks.
For sure eager to sign him too. It’s interesting because Erie locked up their top 3 picks quickly last year while this year they have yet to sign anyone

That said, Terrance has been busy with the selection camp and this tournament. But I am looking forward to when they officially sign him. He was not invited to USNDT camp and went undrafted in USHL so that indicates to me that he is all in on OHL route. Artichuk meanwhile is doing interviews with Otters gear and talking about breaking rookie records and his excitement to join the team. So he’s all in. Erie might just be waiting to sign players until they are in person and positive this season won’t be canceled again..

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
For sure eager to sign him too. It’s interesting because Erie locked up their top 3 picks quickly last year while this year they have yet to sign anyone

That said, Terrance has been busy with the selection camp and this tournament. But I am looking forward to when they officially sign him. He was not invited to USNDT camp and went undrafted in USHL so that indicates to me that he is all in on OHL route. Artichuk meanwhile is doing interviews with Otters gear and talking about breaking rookie records and his excitement to join the team. So he’s all in. Erie might just be waiting to sign players until they are in person and positive this season won’t be canceled again..

Good to know, I think Terrance and Atrichuk should get signed closer to camp (or perhaps even at camp) then. Looking forward to seeing what those guys can bring, should inject some speed and skill into the bottom six.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Looks like Kulakov will officially be here this year. He’s going to be at camp next week

That gives them 5 defensemen locked in

2004 Sova (L), 6’1 174
2002 Morton (L), 6’3 211
2003 Kulakov (L), 6’2 201
2003 Kyrou (R), 5’9 165
2002 Thompson (R), 6’2 185

At least they have some size here compared to the forward group and some of these are guys who are more traditional stay at home/use the body defenders.

I don’t know what the status is with Kolosov/Tichacek. Based on where they drafted Tichacek, I assume they feel good about landing him. He’s undersized but would fit in nicely as another skilled puck mover. He’s also another L shot though. As is Wil Murphy who we all had high hopes for after 2019 draft. I hope he reports to camp and is an option. Patrick Geary does not appear to be an option because he seems to be headed for USHL/college.

Outside of 2021s competing (which I think one of Harvey/Alboim can at least be a 7th option on backend) Erie is left with Lonsdale, Thompson-Dick, and Johnston from 2019 class. Unless there is a late rounder who comes out of nowhere or a FA player, Erie is probably better off going with Tichacek and moving on from Kolosov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mata

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
'Tremendous': Health official praises OHL's COVID vaccine rule for fans | London Free Press

This article makes reference to the 17 Ontario based teams whose fans will have to be fully vaccinated to attend games. Silent on the 3 US teams. However, I learnt that it would be entirely constitutional if the great commonwealth of Pennsylvania made covid vaccines mandatory for all its citizens. See US Supreme Court: (Jacobson v Massachusetts, 1905). Gotta love the judiciary!
You think Erie fans will have to be fully vaccinated to attend games? Michigan teams?

Reactions: hockeylegend11

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
'Tremendous': Health official praises OHL's COVID vaccine rule for fans | London Free Press

This article makes reference to the 17 Ontario based teams whose fans will have to be fully vaccinated to attend games. Silent on the 3 US teams. However, I learnt that it would be entirely constitutional if the great commonwealth of Pennsylvania made covid vaccines mandatory for all its citizens. See US Supreme Court: (Jacobson v Massachusetts, 1905). Gotta love the judiciary!
You think Erie fans will have to be fully vaccinated to attend games? Michigan teams?
At this stage, I am leaning more towards no - Erie will not enforce such a mandate. Only because they don’t have to and there is limited precedent in the US to do so. Erie County has approximately 52% vaccinated. So I don’t think the mandate would go over well in town. I think it’s extremely likely they require masks (vaccinated or not).

If Erie mandates the vaccine policy, I think it’s because they get pushback from the OHL to enforce it and Flint/Saginaw agree. Otherwise, I don’t see why they would at this stage as they aren’t in Canada. But if they start seeing more US teams doing it, sure. They probably will follow on this.

Reactions: Mata and nelli27

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

There is one big thing working against that ruling...

Right now covid vaccines are still under emergency approval (may change in the coming weeks). Lawsuits have already started piling up throughout the entire country and it is likely a long way from being a mandate.

That being said, I think most people are ok with either scenario (masks or no masks and vaccinated or not) outside of some fringe people. The states want stuff to remain open and as close to 100% capacity as possible and anything that impedes this will likely be looked at poorly.

As NOA mentioned, the only likely scenario is pressure from the Canadian teams and Ontario to have them jump on board but then they would likely deal with another season of very poor revenue and I'm not sure they could survive.

Most season ticket holders I know right now in Erie are all in this year and if the OHL tries to get involved too much and possibly jeopardizes games and/or the season they will be all out next season.

Reactions: nelli27

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
As FDA gives Pfizer first full approval, it looks like full vaccine requirements could be coming sooner than expected across the country

like I said before, Erie is likely to follow on this than make a first step. Now that it seems more likely that private businesses/employers will start to move in this direction, it seems more likely that Erie would follow that path

Reactions: hockeylegend11

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
As FDA gives Pfizer first full approval, it looks like full vaccine requirements could be coming sooner than expected across the country

like I said before, Erie is likely to follow on this than make a first step. Now that it seems more likely that private businesses/employers will start to move in this direction, it seems more likely that Erie would follow that path

I hope that's the route they go for the safety of everyone at the game, especially the players, but I don't think that's going to go over well with the Erie fan-base given the direction the past five years.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I hope that's the route they go for the safety of everyone at the game, especially the players, but I don't think that's going to go over well with the Erie fan-base given the direction the past five years.
For sure don’t think they want to lead on this. They are trying to delay and will wait and see. If more teams in the region/nationally start to require it, as well as the Michigan OHL teams, than Erie can at least point to, “see everyone is doing this, this is normal”

I don’t blame them for that thought process either. They have been a rebuilding squad since 2017 and missed a full year of revenue while not being given government assistance like Canadian teams (unless I missed somewhere that the organization got support?). I should also add that though it seems likely private businesses can make these decisions, the Otters don’t own EIA. The Erie Events Center will play a big part because it will be a universial arena decision. And more arenas/venues across the state requiring it will help so that EEC knows they can avoid a lawsuit without merit. Even if the Otters want this decision, to require a vaccine, they need others to be on board with their decision

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I think it is safe to say we will see him in uniform this season...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210826-180617_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20210826-180617_Twitter.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->