Erie Otters 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie lands 10th overall. Could certainly have been worse but was hoping for a top 5 pick.

that said, a nice consolation prize is SSM landing 18 overall. That means Erie (we hold their 2nd round pick this year) should get 21st overall as well

2 picks in the top 21 is great to have in this type of season

Reactions: Mata and EON

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
So with Erie having 2 picks in the top 21, there is room for some flexibility here. They could decide to just do BPA with both picks and/or attempt to add both defense and offense

Either way, they should be able to get 2 players who have a chance to have a sizable role on the roster next season. Hopefully they at least hit big on one of these picks.

Look out for potential Pittsburgh Pens Elite connections at some point in the draft too. Erie currently has 4 on the roster and have had 5 on the roster in the last few years (adding Alex Gritz). Swankler, Campbell, Saganiuk, and Ross. And I’m sure their US scouts were heavily active in and around PA, NY, OH given the Covid issues limited travel a bit

Some US names to watch:
F - Ian Emery - Pittsburgh Pens Elite
F - Ryan Smith - Buffalo Junior Sabres
F - Brandon Svoboda - Pittsburgh Pens Elite
F - Adam Gionta - Buffalo Junior Sabres
F - Quentin Musty - Buffalo Junior Sabres
F - Tyler Borgula - Honeybaked
D - Zachary Schulz - Honeybaked
D - John-Michael Danks - New Jersey

Reactions: EON

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

Great news, can't think of a much better hire than this after losing Wes Wolfe.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Great news, can't think of a much better hire than this after losing Wes Wolfe.

For sure!! Wes was a great player’s coach and seemed to really have a good bond with the guys.

Vince I believe from his time in Erie was a player’s type of coach. I don’t know what went down in Hamilton beyond just less than .500 hockey but what he was as an assistant coach seemed to work. He has worked with Chris before in 2013-14 so that’s helpful too. I also think having a guy behind Chris with head coaching experience is great because let’s be real, Hartsburg is on thin ice right now. He needs to start showing more success on ice.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie will pick 16 overall in U18 draft
- not that this matters too much because it’s such a limited draft and this year in particular will be harder than ever to evaluate. These players that didn’t get pick in 2020 draft were showcased even less because of Covid .. who knows though maybe Erie has magic up their sleeve and can find a depth piece​

also Erie is slated to have 33 overall in Import draft
- zero clue what goes down here because they currently have 2 signed imports but both have yet to show up here let alone play a game due to Covid.​

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
For sure!! Wes was a great player’s coach and seemed to really have a good bond with the guys.

Vince I believe from his time in Erie was a player’s type of coach. I don’t know what went down in Hamilton beyond just less than .500 hockey but what he was as an assistant coach seemed to work. He has worked with Chris before in 2013-14 so that’s helpful too. I also think having a guy behind Chris with head coaching experience is great because let’s be real, Hartsburg is on thin ice right now. He needs to start showing more success on ice.

I am excited to have him back. It is intriguing that you mentioned Hartsburg on thin ice. The thought of Vince leaving a head coaching position for an assistant coach, barring loving Erie...

He could be poised to take over the reigns should they decide to pull the trigger on Hartsburg some time in the next 2 seasons, just my 2 cents there.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I am excited to have him back. It is intriguing that you mentioned Hartsburg on thin ice. The thought of Vince leaving a head coaching position for an assistant coach, barring loving Erie...

He could be poised to take over the reigns should they decide to pull the trigger on Hartsburg some time in the next 2 seasons, just my 2 cents there.
Vince unfortunately was fired in Hamilton. He only lasted a year. Supposedly they felt they could have been better but beyond Kaliyev and Jenik (27 games), they didn’t really have top players and had below average goalies. Combine that with being in a tougher division. Either way they won 24 games (shortened 62 game season). Based on their roster they were no more than a 30 win team . So yes an underachievement but nothing drastic for a first year head coach

Either way.. the point is we know he’s a quality assistant and maybe that’s all he is. But he’s still young. And if Hartsburg doesn’t turn things around soon (the next 1/2 years) then I would feel comfortable with Vince getting a new crack at the head coach position. He will be better off having learned from his first chance in Hamilton. As you pointed out Mata, it is possible Vince views this job as a familiar place with the potential for his next head coaching chance if he is just patient because again if Hartsburg ain’t on the hot seat, he’s at least on the warm seat

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Go otters go

Attachments

• 274ADDC5-ED69-415D-B45A-92AAE098446A.jpeg
    274ADDC5-ED69-415D-B45A-92AAE098446A.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Flint at it again

I think we all need to take a minute to appreciate Jim Waters and what he has done with the team since taking over. And of course Bassin for selling the team to someone who genuinely cared about the keeping this team here and making it work for the kids and fans

Flint is pathetic right now and likely to be 2015 all over again.. I can’t see why any player would want to play there now especially when it was already not a top destination

Reactions: sbpointer

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Brock Ottens mock draft is out and it features 2 rounds of mock drafting! The list has Erie taking Chris Barlas at 10th overall and Mathieu Paris at 22nd overall (technically 21 overall with Niagara losing their 1st)

Both are forwards out of Navan Grads (HEO) in Ottawa

Caveat that these mocks are really difficult and borderline impossible to do, especially outside the top 5. So it’s extremely unlikely Erie takes both these guys or even one of them.

Though I like the idea of teammates, it doesn’t make a ton of sense that Erie would go to the Ottawa region with their first 2 picks. It’s not a huge area for them in early picks with the exception of Connor Lockhart. Also I think it’s very likely they go forward/defense with their first picks because of their roster shape and because they don’t have another pick until round 6.

I also still am curious to see the Pittsburgh Pens Elite connection in this draft. I’m hopeful Erie drafts another 1/2 guys from there to continue to build that connection that I think one day could pay off huge for them by getting a high end player who otherwise wouldn’t play in the OHL. Saganiuk was a huge land but the Covid thing might downplay that. Who knows though he still has some time to develop and is important piece right now

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Final central scouting rankings out

Lockhart 104 for NA
Kulakov 64 for International
Kolosov 2nd for International goalies

Impressive for Kolosov. Have to hope he still comes here this coming year especially after a team drafts him. I know he was playing a bit in the KHL though but would be significant if he was able to be a legit top tier CHL goalie. Erie has not really had once in over a decade. Janus the last possible comparison to one. It would certainly help make them a more competitive team

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Final central scouting rankings out

Lockhart 104 for NA
Kulakov 64 for International
Kolosov 2nd for International goalies

Impressive for Kolosov. Have to hope he still comes here this coming year especially after a team drafts him. I know he was playing a bit in the KHL though but would be significant if he was able to be a legit top tier CHL goalie. Erie has not really had once in over a decade. Janus the last possible comparison to one. It would certainly help make them a more competitive team

To respond to your earlier post, I do agree and hope that Erie goes 1 forward, 1 dman with their top picks. They essentially have two first round picks and need to hit them both because of the absence of picks rounds 3-5. After that they can take their usual flyers/late bloomer picks.

But I am also very interested to see what they do about the goalie/import situation. Since Lalonde will now be in his draft season, you have to think he's on the roster as the backup. This leaves them to decide between Campbell and Kolosov. It seems clear to me that Kolosov is the better goalie, but I am curious if he's still willing to come over. Going with Campbell would also free up an import spot to try and add another impact skater. I'd personally prefer they stick with Kolosov and trade Campbell for picks, but it is a tough decision either way. You certainly don't want to burn the bridge on the Pittsburgh connection you've mentioned.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint at it again

I think we all need to take a minute to appreciate Jim Waters and what he has done with the team since taking over. And of course Bassin for selling the team to someone who genuinely cared about the keeping this team here and making it work for the kids and fans

Flint is pathetic right now and likely to be 2015 all over again.. I can’t see why any player would want to play there now especially when it was already not a top destination
No fault of the great Flint hockey fans. Most are outraged at Flint owner Rolf Nielsen and his new GM and fellow crony Terry Christenson. We are sick about GM Barclay Branch resigning and head coavh Eric Wellwood resigning! They too disagree with Rolf and Terry being in charge.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
No fault of the great Flint hockey fans. Most are outraged at Flint owner Rolf Nielsen and his new GM and fellow crony Terry Christenson. We are sick about GM Barclay Branch resigning and head coavh Eric Wellwood resigning! They too disagree with Rolf and Terry being in charge.

oh for sure it is not the fans fault one bit. In fact, they have embraced more than most would in this situation. But that owner is trying to bury the franchise which is just so sad to see

Reactions: TcNorth

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Couple links now have Erie tied to Nicholas Sima of Toronto Canadians. Quick skater who also has a bigger frame. Based on highlights he has good hands and shot. That’s exactly what Erie needs. They really need some more size upfront imo and Sima seems like a legit top 10 talent. Add to it he plays a heavy game and isn’t afraid of contact which might allow him to contribute early which I think they also could benefit from

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
To respond to your earlier post, I do agree and hope that Erie goes 1 forward, 1 dman with their top picks. They essentially have two first round picks and need to hit them both because of the absence of picks rounds 3-5. After that they can take their usual flyers/late bloomer picks.

But I am also very interested to see what they do about the goalie/import situation. Since Lalonde will now be in his draft season, you have to think he's on the roster as the backup. This leaves them to decide between Campbell and Kolosov. It seems clear to me that Kolosov is the better goalie, but I am curious if he's still willing to come over. Going with Campbell would also free up an import spot to try and add another impact skater. I'd personally prefer they stick with Kolosov and trade Campbell for picks, but it is a tough decision either way. You certainly don't want to burn the bridge on the Pittsburgh connection you've mentioned.

Given how much time/effort they put into getting Campbell in the first place I'm not sure I see them giving up on him. At least when it comes to the 3 goalies they have on their roster, he will be the only one with OHL experience.

He may be on a short leash, but when he came into the OHL he was already on the short list of NHL scouting, later falling off.

Perhaps they go for trade value but what can we expect in return for someone who has a high ceiling but hasn't exactly lived up to the hype, yet...if ever.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Given how much time/effort they put into getting Campbell in the first place I'm not sure I see them giving up on him. At least when it comes to the 3 goalies they have on their roster, he will be the only one with OHL experience.

He may be on a short leash, but when he came into the OHL he was already on the short list of NHL scouting, later falling off.

Perhaps they go for trade value but what can we expect in return for someone who has a high ceiling but hasn't exactly lived up to the hype, yet...if ever.
I think their original plan last year was great. Campbell/Kolosov and Lalonde waits a year. Now its tough if Kolosov still wants to be here. Yes he has no OHL experience but he’s likely to be a potential top goalie if here. Lalonde is in year 2 and they invested a top 3 round pick on him, so he needs to get some action now or that could be a waste.

To be clear I think it’s a great problem to have. If Kolosov wants to be here and is a great goalie you have a potential top tandem which helps you win. And btw they need to start winning more games. Plus is would be nice to have top goaltending for once..
If they need to make a trade, they can delay 15-20 games and showcase Campbell/Kolosov to see what offers are there if Campbell is ready to be that #1. If they have 2 top guys, someone will be willing to buy and then you can get Lalonde more second half action. Ideally Lalonde gets at least 15-20 games this coming year but if he’s ready for more, then he needs more

That said we don’t even know if Kolosov will be here so it’s a wait and see...
I hope Erie has a plan with that because the Cajka situation of 2019 burned them when they had 0 imports on the roster.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Looks like Erie picked up another 2nd this year. Smart decision considering they have no 3-5th rounders

the pick with be Sudburys selection so it will the end of the 2nd round. Nevertheless without a 3rd rounder, this was smart imo. They still lack picks next year but they have trade options to hopefully get 1/2 3rd round picks for 2022

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Sounds like Sova has impressed at the PBHH showcase in Erie

Fast, top end skating and confident moving the puck up the ice. I’m excited to see him play.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Sounds like Sova has impressed at the PBHH showcase in Erie

Fast, top end skating and confident moving the puck up the ice. I’m excited to see him play.

We are hoping to get there to volunteer and watch some, however a lot of the hours during the day and with my daughter in school, it will make it tough.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
We are hoping to get there to volunteer and watch some, however a lot of the hours during the day and with my daughter in school, it will make it tough.
I haven’t had the chance due to work but wish I could follow more. Erie has a decent amount of guys playing in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad