Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moroz

Aug 18, 2018
SeaWolves survive as Detroit's AA affiliate: Detroit Tigers minor leagues: Here's what just changed for 2021 .

Both the Otters and the SeaWolves have moved into their new offices and team stores at the southwest corner of the Arena/northwest corner of the Ballpark. The team stores, I think, are both very well done and worth a visit. They are both accessible without going into the Arena itself. Hours are posted on the websites.

Reactions: ZinErie and EON

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
With the latest announcement, can't help but feel this season is done for.

Indefinite time frame and an already shortened season.

Such a shame for those kids and no wonder people are jumping ship on the OHL to play where hockey can be played.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Marat looking really strong in the WJC. It’s unfortunate that the pandemic lingered and Erie missed out on witnessing this talent. Have to believe that with him, the import goalie, and Saganiuk joining the roster, Erie could have been a top 4 team in the conference with tons of excitement and talent for fans to watch

That said, there probably won’t be an OHL season this year so it’s a wash..
Erie was smart to lock up their 2020 imports and bail on Marat in preparation for 2021-22

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Marat looking really strong in the WJC. It’s unfortunate that the pandemic lingered and Erie missed out on witnessing this talent. Have to believe that with him, the import goalie, and Saganiuk joining the roster, Erie could have been a top 4 team in the conference with tons of excitement and talent for fans to watch

That said, there probably won’t be an OHL season this year so it’s a wash..
Erie was smart to lock up their 2020 imports and bail on Marat in preparation for 2021-22

That's a very positive spin zone for the GM, but everything put online has suggested it wasn't Erie's decision to "bail on Marat". he was never coming

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
That's a very positive spin zone for the GM, but everything put online has suggested it wasn't Erie's decision to "bail on Marat". he was never coming
You must not know the people I know. I’ll leave at that

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Erie could have been a top 4 team in the conference with tons of excitement and talent for fans to watch

All of the games I watched all I could think of was how lucky you buggers have been to watch Drysdale. My goodness what a player he reminds me so much of Paul Coffey although he is a little better defensively and a little less offensively. Who drafted him again (?) I would think he is NHL roster material already and certainly for any team that has a strong defence and wants to add offence from the backend. His ability to skate and get back in the play is unmatched.

Reactions: NOA and 7D442

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie Otters have 19 alumni competing at NHL training camps (16 alumni that originally started their OHL career in Erie and 3 alumni that Erie acquired via trade*)

Anaheim - Drysdale
Boston - McKegg
Chicago - Debrincat, Strome
Colorado - Burakovsky
Edmonton - McDavid
Florida - M. Marchment
NYI - Pelech
NYR - D. Raddysh
Ottawa - Brown
Pittsburgh - Nolan
St. Louis - O’Reilly
Tampa Bay - Cernak, T. Raddysh
Toronto - Dermott
Vegas - Dansk

Carolina - Foegele*
Los Angeles - MacDermid*
Tampa Bay - Cirelli*

Reactions: You Otter Be There

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Chad Yetman signs with the Rockford Icehogs, Chicago's AHL affiliate: Rockford IceHogs | 2020 Blackhawks Draft Pick & OHL Premier Goal…

Unfortunately for us, I don't think we'll see Chad in an Otters uniform ever again. Really happy for Chad though (and Max as well, playing with Anaheim's ECHL team). Sucks that COVID has wrecked the season and taken the chance to watch these guys for one more season away from us but I think this could help add to Erie' reputation of developing players. Turning a 2016 10th rounder (Yetman) and a 2016 13th rounder (Golod) into very good OHL players and now professional prospects is impressive.

Reactions: Mata and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Chad Yetman signs with the Rockford Icehogs, Chicago's AHL affiliate: Rockford IceHogs | 2020 Blackhawks Draft Pick & OHL Premier Goal…

Unfortunately for us, I don't think we'll see Chad in an Otters uniform ever again. Really happy for Chad though (and Max as well, playing with Anaheim's ECHL team). Sucks that COVID has wrecked the season and taken the chance to watch these guys for one more season away from us but I think this could help add to Erie' reputation of developing players. Turning a 2016 10th rounder (Yetman) and a 2016 13th rounder (Golod) into very good OHL players and now professional prospects is impressive.

Unfortunately I don’t think there will be any season for any one. Maybe the OHL gets something in late spring into summer but that will delay the 2021-22 season. At this point, I don’t see anyone playing and certainly not Erie

The bigger part is the lack of development for our young guys. That will impact the future more than anything

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I know we have done before but with NHL underway I thought it would be fun to see an Erie Otters alumni team

Strome - McDavid - DeBrincat
Burakovsky- OReilly - Brown
Foegele - Cirelli - T. Raddysh
Nolan - McKegg - M Marchment

Pelech - Cernak
MacDermid - Dermott
D. Raddysh - Drysdale

Dansk

Little rough on the backend and certainly concerns in net. But make a trade for a top end defender and goalie and this team is honestly pretty good

The center depth with
McDavid
O’Reilly
Cirelli
Strome
McKegg

is insane and any team in the league would salivate for that group of centers.

Reactions: Mata

itsahemi

Nov 21, 2013
Erie had some good players before McDavid got here. If you want to include Marchment and Nolan over Brad Boyes, Tim Connolly, Cory Pecker, or even Mike Rupp or Jason Ward, go right ahead. But you also left off players like Chris Campoli and Carlo Colaiacovo on defence. Dansk was good but give me Valiquette or Munro. Jaroslav Janus was really good but seemed to face 40 shots a night on some really horrid teams.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie had some good players before McDavid got here. If you want to include Marchment and Nolan over Brad Boyes, Tim Connolly, Cory Pecker, or even Mike Rupp or Jason Ward, go right ahead. But you also left off players like Chris Campoli and Carlo Colaiacovo on defence. Dansk was good but give me Valiquette or Munro. Jaroslav Janus was really good but seemed to face 40 shots a night on some really horrid teams.
I was going a lineup featuring CURRENT players in the NHL. In other words, an actual lineup that could be made right now with active players. Those players you list are all retired ...

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
So...

How about that winning streak in 2021 from the Otters!!! Oh, oh wait...the entire league has been quiet since about Christmas.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
In other news, Aaron Cooney got a job with the San Diego Gulls (Anaheim AHL) as their director of communications and I'm assuming he'll be their broadcast voice. Really cool to see and good for him, but a bummer for us, I really enjoyed him calling the games for the Otters.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
In other news, Aaron Cooney got a job with the San Diego Gulls (Anaheim AHL) as their director of communications and I'm assuming he'll be their broadcast voice. Really cool to see and good for him, but a bummer for us, I really enjoyed him calling the games for the Otters.

Jamie is listed on their roster too.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Jamie is listed on their roster too.

Good catch, hopefully he does well there. Unfortunately I think we have seen the last of him in Erie but always good for the program to have another top talent like that come through, even if he likely would have succeeded with the other 19 teams in the OHL as well.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Good catch, hopefully he does well there. Unfortunately I think we have seen the last of him in Erie but always good for the program to have another top talent like that come through, even if he likely would have succeeded with the other 19 teams in the OHL as well.
The one blessing with this is that Erie probably would have been a middle pack team had they had a normal year. But that would have meant they wouldn’t have traded Jamie and we would have been forced to play the “what if” game with trade rumors. Personally I wanted to sell him for high assets but realistically they never would have. Now he will forever be an Erie alum first and last. Like it or not, that makes me feel at ease to not see him in another uniform because Erie never even had the chance/choice

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Did you all see the picture of the new chrome helmets? Wow!
I actually just watched the video and came on here to comment about it... wow is right!

I love them. Really seems to work with the blue too. I think some fans across the league will scoff at it (like they do the gold buckets) but the reality is majority of 16-21 year old players LOVE this type of stuff. Just look at the Oregon Ducks and their recruiting success. When Erie hits the ice again they will have 4 jerseys and 4 buckets. That’s a wild amount of options for a junior hockey team

I hope they decide to wear the anniversary jersey for a good chunk of home games so the players/fans can enjoy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->