Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hello Erie! Hello Pennsylvania!
The eyes of the world are staring upon you today! Now, don't puck up the vote!

Your favourite Erie Otter of all time:
a) Connor McDavid
b) Brad Boyes
c) Dylan Strome
d) Alex Debrincat
e) Ryan O'Reilly
f) none of the above
Haha nice, Nelli

This is a tough one. What a great list thanks to that 5 year stretch

It probably would be O’Reilly for me if he played here beyond 2 years and the team around him had more success. Always loved his overall game.

I will say DeBrincat. His story from undersized, undrafted FA, to elite CHL player is really special. From a talent standpoint, he was the best pure sniper I have ever seen at the OHL level. The guy just scored, scored, and scored.

Reactions: nelli27

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
From a talent standpoint, he was the best pure sniper I have ever seen at the OHL level. The guy just scored, scored, and scored.

Not a big Erie follower so who knows but you are so right. Every move up the ladder this kid must have been doubted and here he is in the NHL just keepin on scoring!

Reactions: NOA

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hello Erie! Hello Pennsylvania!
The eyes of the world are staring upon you today! Now, don't puck up the vote!

Your favourite Erie Otter of all time:
a) Connor McDavid
b) Brad Boyes
c) Dylan Strome
d) Alex Debrincat
e) Ryan O'Reilly
f) none of the above

Mine would actually probably be Connor Brown. He was never the strongest or fastest guy on the ice but he would work his ass off to keep the puck and take it from the other team and seemed like a great captain. I'm glad to see him succeed in the NHL.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Mine would actually probably be Connor Brown. He was never the strongest or fastest guy on the ice but he would work his ass off to keep the puck and take it from the other team and seemed like a great captain. I'm glad to see him succeed in the NHL.
I was only focused on the list but he’s a great one that is missing from that. Probably a top 5 guy all time for me because of all you said. He was a hard worker and earned everything. Out of all the teams from 2013-2017, I felt that 2013-14 team was the most well rounded/talented but they were young and never knew how to win. It set the tone though for the next 3 years.

Looking back .. you had Brown, Strome, McDavid, Burakovsky, Pelech, Dermott, Dansk..

But most of those players were really young. And to think that team nearly had signed Dylan Larkin. Wow

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I was only focused on the list but he’s a great one that is missing from that. Probably a top 5 guy all time for me because of all you said. He was a hard worker and earned everything. Out of all the teams from 2013-2017, I felt that 2013-14 team was the most well rounded/talented but they were young and never knew how to win. It set the tone though for the next 3 years.

Looking back .. you had Brown, Strome, McDavid, Burakovsky, Pelech, Dermott, Dansk..

But most of those players were really young. And to think that team nearly had signed Dylan Larkin. Wow
Burakovsky seems to improve year after year. Hidden behind McDavid somewhat in Erie... He was certainly a good junior, even a better pro.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Some updates for Erie fans...

No discussions of "moving" the team to Canada for the season.
No discussions of playing only American teams for this season.
Current health provisions would allow about 700 people at each home game, but could fluctuate throughout the season.
The games would be played how they were last year (body checking is fine).

All information is subject to change based on the ebb and flow of covid between now and the start of the season and can also change during the season.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Some updates for Erie fans...

No discussions of "moving" the team to Canada for the season.
No discussions of playing only American teams for this season.
Current health provisions would allow about 700 people at each home game, but could fluctuate throughout the season.
The games would be played how they were last year (body checking is fine).

All information is subject to change based on the ebb and flow of covid between now and the start of the season and can also change during the season.
Also should be noted, there are about 800 season ticket holders who get first priority to those seats. Unless a ton of season ticket holders give up their seats, it'll be really hard to get typical walk-up/school/anthem groups which I assume is next to no chance in the arena. The seating chart is crazy too but necessary for where we currently are in the world.

Beer sales are going to be done the same as in a restaurant with no concourse beer stands. This is done to avoid the typical crowds outside the "beer zone" where the TVs are behind section 105ish area if I can recall correctly. Alcohol sales will be done at the concession stand and they are working with Erie Events in order to work out a reduced price menu to accommodate beer sales, but those details are to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mata

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Also should be noted, there are about 800 season ticket holders who get first priority to those seats. Unless a ton of season ticket holders give up their seats, it'll be really hard to get typical walk-up/school/anthem groups which I assume is next to no chance in the arena. The seating chart is crazy too but necessary for where we currently are in the world.

Beer sales are going to be done the same as in a restaurant with no concourse beer stands. This is done to avoid the typical crowds outside the "beer zone" where the TVs are behind section 105ish area if I can recall correctly. Alcohol sales will be done at the concession stand and they are working with Erie Events in order to work out a reduced price menu to accommodate beer sales, but those details are to come.

Sounds good has the team explained how they are going to get by or deal with the Canadian and possibly after Jnaury American travel ban across the border/

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Sounds good has the team explained how they are going to get by or deal with the Canadian and possibly after Jnaury American travel ban across the border/
They said as of now the league has not come to them asking them to go to Fort. Erie or Newmarket to move. They’re within a 90 window of being able to play so finding billets, moving to Canada would be more costly than its worth. They anticipate playing 20 games in Erie this season. They said we naturally see Saginaw and Flint often that if we played them 4 times each this year it wouldn’t be any different but due to the lack of available games, that might happen.
Everything is fluid as of now and could change each day.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Looks like Erie is introducing a 25th anniversary jersey on Thursday

appears to be silver for the 25th

Such a shame to have the 25th anniversary jersey in a season that may not even happen...

Things are gonna lock down pretty tight here in the near future based on our hospital prep I think.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Such a shame to have the 25th anniversary jersey in a season that may not even happen...

Things are gonna lock down pretty tight here in the near future based on our hospital prep I think.
Yeah I would agree but if they don’t have a season or a vastly limited one, they will likely push their 25th season celebration to the following year

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Love the jersey! Amazing colour scheme.
Seems most people do from what I’ve seen. I like that they didn’t do too much or make it too complex

just used their logo, template, and added the silver for 25 years. I’m good with it

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think some people who hated on this jersey yesterday didn’t take into account that it will likely look different in person

here are some photos from Facebook that show the colors more clearly

As you can see the silver trim is not too bold or dramatic but just enough to distinguish it as silver and to pull of the look they wanted. Nothing wrong with these.

I do appreciate that Erie didn’t do anything complex. It’s their logo and basic template with the ONLY difference being the silver introduced

Attachments

• EE486338-E236-4F33-944A-ABE4753BF881.jpeg
    EE486338-E236-4F33-944A-ABE4753BF881.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 659C31F9-50BE-47B9-A9DC-62ABB6ECC7AA.jpeg
    659C31F9-50BE-47B9-A9DC-62ABB6ECC7AA.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 3
  • F4F45A22-7274-4526-8960-06502580278C.jpeg
    F4F45A22-7274-4526-8960-06502580278C.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Those look very nice, well done. I hope we get to see them on the ice.

I hope the majority of fans get to see them on ice. Unfortunately with the way this is unraveling it is like a super rare limited edition car that for whatever reason just isn't seen on the roads.

A lot of time and energy went into this and they are amazing, will be a shame that only 700ish people a night can see such a milestone for the Otters.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I hope the majority of fans get to see them on ice. Unfortunately with the way this is unraveling it is like a super rare limited edition car that for whatever reason just isn't seen on the roads.

A lot of time and energy went into this and they are amazing, will be a shame that only 700ish people a night can see such a milestone for the Otters.
I believe they said they will wear it through 2021. So theoretically they can wear them for the first part of 2021-22 season. If no hockey occurs this year in the OHL (which is still possible) Erie will push their 25th year celebration to 21-22 season

I think we will see them at some point. A shame it can’t be a normal year but I’m more disappointed with not being able to see the young talent for this team. This was the first time in awhile I was excited for the young core with guys like Saganiuk, Lockhart, Ross, Sova, Bressette. And even guys like Campbell, Cohen, Morton, Kyrou, Hoffmann where I think fans are curious if they can reach more of their potential. Add the 2 imports to that list

That’s what hurts most. This team had a chance to be young and exciting

J Simmons

Feb 11, 2018
I think we’ll have an exciting season regardless of what happens involving lockdown. Financially it’ll cost the OHL way more if they don’t have a season than if they have one without fans in attendance. Advertisement, TV time etc. I think if the OHL somehow made it possible for hockeh to be broadcasted onto TSN or Sportsnet on a more consistent basis we’d be able to scrape some sort of financial recovery out of this season. Relatively, it is a shame since we had a young and upcoming team that was most likely frothing at the mouth from not getting a playoff shot last year. If anything, how they come out of this lockdown will show us the mettle this group has. I look forward to Campbell, Kolosov, Lockhart, Saganiuk, Hoffmann, D’amato, and Morton. Obviously Sova will be the highlight of the rookies but Saganiuk has a good chance to pull attention.

Also...
Apparently there’s been some talk about multiple otters being in town.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think we’ll have an exciting season regardless of what happens involving lockdown. Financially it’ll cost the OHL way more if they don’t have a season than if they have one without fans in attendance. Advertisement, TV time etc. I think if the OHL somehow made it possible for hockeh to be broadcasted onto TSN or Sportsnet on a more consistent basis we’d be able to scrape some sort of financial recovery out of this season. Relatively, it is a shame since we had a young and upcoming team that was most likely frothing at the mouth from not getting a playoff shot last year. If anything, how they come out of this lockdown will show us the mettle this group has. I look forward to Campbell, Kolosov, Lockhart, Saganiuk, Hoffmann, D’amato, and Morton. Obviously Sova will be the highlight of the rookies but Saganiuk has a good chance to pull attention.

Also...
Apparently there’s been some talk about multiple otters being in town.
Hoffmann has been here. I think Sproule as well. Swankler is Pittsburgh area so he’s always around. I’m sure there are others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad