Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Simmons

Feb 11, 2018
Then take Lockhart off center too. He’s too small. Matter of fact, Rossi should switch positions too

You always sound too harsh in your assessment. We don’t know what these guys have been doing, especially in a hugely extended offseason. The team really is high on Cohen and have been since day 1. It’s not far-fetched to think he has a chance to be much more productive this year.
Cohen played Center at certain points during the year but he also needs lots of muscular development and defensive improvement to be a reliable Center man anywhere above the 3rd line. Which is why it’s not entirely out of question to assume he’s simply in need of way more development before jumping those roles. His base is something to look forward to because he’s able to set aside his size difference for the most part and still perform well, even as a rookie this past year. I should’ve elaborated and said that Cohen wasn’t YET ready for the role.
Similarly, Lockhart played wing majority of the year, despite having Center experience, he’s shown he can play Center, but arguably not as well as his performance as a winger. He’s also been with Tony Greco, a well known strength and development coach that’s known for results. He’s in an even better scenario for becoming a staple Center for Erie.. similarly to Cam Hillis. I’ll touch on that later. Marco Rossi is an entirely different case considering he’s an NHL ready prospect with the strength of a man that’s been a Center and a league staple as an offensive threat. Lockhart also has the skating ability and strong solid form, despite being even smaller than Cohen. However between the two, anything can happen in terms of development, they’re both 16-17 year old that have a ton of time to develop.

Cam hillis is another example. In his rookie years, showed he was ready to take a role higher than what he was given, despite his size. His development focused around 2 way play despite being arguably undersized. Most of his development being revolved around off ice strength and work on his defensive game.

I’m not gonna say Hoffmann is ready yet for a 2nd line role as Center but he’s got more of a chance of being ready come the beginning of the year. In advanced stats he’s Erie’s best forward defensively and somewhere around top 4-5 on the team as a whole. His offensive game is suffering a lot considering it’s pretty much the entire reason a 6’3 210+ Center man didn’t get a look in the draft. I’d say if he got 40 points he would’ve been drafted no doubt. But for now, his role on this team is SEVERELY impacted by his ability to produce offensively. That and he needs some better skating ability.

Reactions: Leo Minem

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
My biggest worry with Erie is that they get too set on a plan and don’t adjust properly when it doesn’t work out

I feel like this is a big issue with Hartsburg. He makes things too personal and player X does something he doesn’t like and so as a result, in the following game, that player doesn’t get in the SO lineup and Erie ends up using Kurtis Henry instead..
Similar with Brown, you could argue, when trading for Sopa. I think Brown anticipated Erie would a 6/7 seed type of team (with imports) and when things looked less than that he panicked and added an import forward on a fringe 8 seed team.

I understand the 3rd line worked well together and they all appear close. But it’s a 3rd line, which will now be filled with 2001s. This isn’t a young line anymore building towards dominance or a line featuring heavy star power like Strome/DeBrincat. These guys do play a great game together and are a nice 3rd line unit but at this stage, especially with Covid, it is crucial that young guys are seeing the ice if their production is near equal or more than any of those 3rd liners

I worry more than anything about Hartsburg’s ability to be fair and reasonable with ALL players. So for instance, Sellan might be an amazing, responsive, coachable player but if another player is 1/2 years younger and offers just as much skill but with more upside, you have to adjust.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
In case you missed, Lockhart and Saganiuk both listed as C rating for Central Scouting preseason list

Good to see with Saganiuk. I’m sure in his mind he had a disappointing season with USNDT and obviously has size questions. But the raw talent is certainly there

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Also for a certain someone, we get it.. this means no Marat.

unfortunately COVID has changed the dynamic of the entire season but I’m happy Erie was able to, despite the pandemic, lock up

Saganiuk / Ross (college commits)
Sova (1st rounder)
Kulakov / Kolosov (imports)

I feel like that’s more than majority of teams can say right now so big kudos to the management/ownership for building up the system despite zero clue of when hockey will resume

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Also for a certain someone, we get it.. this means no Marat.

unfortunately COVID has changed the dynamic of the entire season but I’m happy Erie was able to, despite the pandemic, lock up

Saganiuk / Ross (college commits)
Sova (1st rounder)
Kulakov / Kolosov (imports)

I feel like that’s more than majority of teams can say right now so big kudos to the management/ownership for building up the system despite zero clue of when hockey will resume

They just released that they will have a 40 game schedule and American teams are in limbo/no idea what is going to happen. I honestly can't say I blame Marat for the league not getting their crap together. Especially a high level talent like himself. Had he committed only for Canada to cancel the season he would be out of game time. Completely makes sense for him and sucks for us.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
They just released that they will have a 40 game schedule and American teams are in limbo/no idea what is going to happen. I honestly can't say I blame Marat for the league not getting their crap together. Especially a high level talent like himself. Had he committed only for Canada to cancel the season he would be out of game time. Completely makes sense for him and sucks for us.
OHL has zero plan. Zero. They have not openly discussed the issue with US teams and imo they are just “hoping” the virus goes away.. hence yet another push back of dates

My guess? There won’t even be a season. I just hope the OHL doesn’t screw the US teams into no games while they keep playing or worse.. allow US players to play for other teams just for this season. I’ll be livid

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
OHL has zero plan. Zero. They have not openly discussed the issue with US teams and imo they are just “hoping” the virus goes away.. hence yet another push back of dates

My guess? There won’t even be a season. I just hope the OHL doesn’t screw the US teams into no games while they keep playing or worse.. allow US players to play for other teams just for this season. I’ll be livid

Given the way they want the season to unfold, no fighting, no body checking, no plan for US based teams I can't help but think they will hurt their short term reputation because other leagues do not plan to stop. All top level talent will seek out other leagues around the globe and the OHL has a lot to lose with their no plan.

It makes me think kids like Golod, Yeti. Drysdale will maybe not play another game in an Otters uniform and depending on how badly they botch this season, we could end up losing more young players because of it.

I would not be surprised if college commits try to back out of OHL contracts and reset their sights towards college.

One thing is for certain, this no plan will leave a lot to question about this leagues durability to survive the short term given how cautious they are being.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well if not for covid, this is a pretty amazing off-season for the Otters. Re-couped some good picks for Murphy and Fowler and hit on all of their picks. Just need to hope the OHL gets it act together and puts some sort of season together. Honestly at this point I'd support the Otters just playing Flint and Saginaw repeatedly so the players can get game time and so we can see how players have developed plus see the new guys in action (mostly Saganiuk, Kulakov, and Kolosov).

Reactions: Mata and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Given the way they want the season to unfold, no fighting, no body checking, no plan for US based teams I can't help but think they will hurt their short term reputation because other leagues do not plan to stop. All top level talent will seek out other leagues around the globe and the OHL has a lot to lose with their no plan.

It makes me think kids like Golod, Yeti. Drysdale will maybe not play another game in an Otters uniform and depending on how badly they botch this season, we could end up losing more young players because of it.

I would not be surprised if college commits try to back out of OHL contracts and reset their sights towards college.

One thing is for certain, this no plan will leave a lot to question about this leagues durability to survive the short term given how cautious they are being.

Lot to unpack here, Mata

First off.. I don’t think the OHL is saying no to body checking. That was a ridiculous proposal but they arent doing that. As for fights? The OHL has drastically cut those back anyways so hardly an impact there imo

The no plan for the American teams suggests the OHL is arrogant and/or incompetent. It’s a problem that will be largely their biggest hurdle. I’m not sure how they achieve a season this year but with a late start to the season, now for February, then it does make sense to let the US 3 play each other exclusively throughout the month of February and into March. Then they will need to adjust the plan at some point though beyond that.

Bigger college programs seem set on returning but again, we haven’t seen the November/December in terms of outbreak. If the virus spikes, it’s likely college hockey could be shut down. If it doesn’t spike, then it benefits the OHL to return in February.

Someone posted on the Next Season thread about the OHL being smarter and wise financially this year. The OHL is too arrogant to see straight. Imo they should cancel the memorial cup this year. What is the point of dumping money into a tournament based on a limited, restricted, and fanless season? Makes zero sense. But hey, tradition!
If they were willing to cancel that tournament and focus instead on providing ALL 20 teams a season, even if limited to 40 games and shorter playoffs, to me it would be more valuable. They are instead trying to make this season entirely normal and the only “change” is really just delayed start dates and a few less games..

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I want to add to your comment/concern, Mata, over Drysdale, Yetman, Golod

With Golod/Yeti, they are both OAs. If there is a season, I would say it’s more likely we get both back vs losing both, though probably just as likely we could lose 1 of the 2. If there isn’t a season then yes obviously that is the end of them in Erie

Drysdale is in his own catergory imo. He’s not ready for a full NHL workload. Under normal circumstances it was a near guarantee we would have him back this year and then probably a 90% chance we lost him the following year. If the season is shortened, limited or worse, canceled .. I actually think it increases the chances of Drysdale returning to Erie for 2021-22. I’m by no means saying that would be the most likely but I would say, to put a visual number on it, it becomes something like a 20% chance for him to return. The whole idea is that Jamie could benefit to improve his strength and apply that to his defensive side of the game. He also could improve his shot and overall offensive game. He’s a special talent and yet still has a solid amount of things to work on. So the question becomes if he misses majority of the season, or worse off the entire year, how does he improve those things for in game situations?

I would just be cautious at this point to say with certainty he is gone for 21-22. And if I’m Dave and there is actually a season, but a limited one, I would factor that in to trading Jamie. In other words, there better be significant conditional picks added on

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Lot to unpack here, Mata

First off.. I don’t think the OHL is saying no to body checking. That was a ridiculous proposal but they arent doing that. As for fights? The OHL has drastically cut those back anyways so hardly an impact there imo

The no plan for the American teams suggests the OHL is arrogant and/or incompetent. It’s a problem that will be largely their biggest hurdle. I’m not sure how they achieve a season this year but with a late start to the season, now for February, then it does make sense to let the US 3 play each other exclusively throughout the month of February and into March. Then they will need to adjust the plan at some point though beyond that.

Bigger college programs seem set on returning but again, we haven’t seen the November/December in terms of outbreak. If the virus spikes, it’s likely college hockey could be shut down. If it doesn’t spike, then it benefits the OHL to return in February.

Someone posted on the Next Season thread about the OHL being smarter and wise financially this year. The OHL is too arrogant to see straight. Imo they should cancel the memorial cup this year. What is the point of dumping money into a tournament based on a limited, restricted, and fanless season? Makes zero sense. But hey, tradition!
If they were willing to cancel that tournament and focus instead on providing ALL 20 teams a season, even if limited to 40 games and shorter playoffs, to me it would be more valuable. They are instead trying to make this season entirely normal and the only “change” is really just delayed start dates and a few less games..
The Memorial Cup is one of the biggest money makers they have. TV rights to this are divided out to all OHL teams as the OHL hosts it this year. Them trying to keep that onboard is a good thing for all OHL teams. The regular season is where the money will be a loss without inhouse fans.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The Memorial Cup is one of the biggest money makers they have. TV rights to this are divided out to all OHL teams as the OHL hosts it this year. Them trying to keep that onboard is a good thing for all OHL teams. The regular season is where the money will be a loss without inhouse fans.
The memorial cup will not generate the same money this year. Who even knows if fans will be allowed at that time and if so, what capacity it will be. And even if fans can go, how comfortable they will be to travel to an event like that

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The memorial cup will not generate the same money this year. Who even knows if fans will be allowed at that time and if so, what capacity it will be. And even if fans can go, how comfortable they will be to travel to an event like that
True but the tv rights are big for his tourney. It is all the league has at this point to generate any funds unless fans are back on tap by then.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
From Twitter:

“Kolosov has played three KHL games this season, recording a 1.66 GAA and a .939 SV%, including a shutout.”

I was big on wanting to get Marat but man when was the last time Erie had a top end OHL goalie? Dansk for a year? Maybe? But I wouldn’t even agree on that because by years end he pretty much checked out and Williams moved in. Prior to that, Sadikov? Still not really imo. You have to go back to Janus/Disher to really find that guy

Erie has lacked in net for going on a decade. Sorry, but Williams was not a top end guy. He was far too inconsistent and even at his best, he was sheltered by a dynamic offense.

Really hope Kolosov can be a top end goalie for Erie and allow Campbell to be slowly brought into that role

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
From Twitter:

“Kolosov has played three KHL games this season, recording a 1.66 GAA and a .939 SV%, including a shutout.”

I was big on wanting to get Marat but man when was the last time Erie had a top end OHL goalie? Dansk for a year? Maybe? But I wouldn’t even agree on that because by years end he pretty much checked out and Williams moved in. Prior to that, Sadikov? Still not really imo. You have to go back to Janus/Disher to really find that guy

Erie has lacked in net for going on a decade. Sorry, but Williams was not a top end guy. He was far too inconsistent and even at his best, he was sheltered by a dynamic offense.

Really hope Kolosov can be a top end goalie for Erie and allow Campbell to be slowly brought into that role

One thing is for certain, him and Campbell should really push one another to achieve their true potential!

It will be interesting to see if time is split evenly, if Campbell gets the majority early, or any other combo when things hopefully get rolling.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
One thing is for certain, him and Campbell should really push one another to achieve their true potential!

It will be interesting to see if time is split evenly, if Campbell gets the majority early, or any other combo when things hopefully get rolling.
I would think Kolosov will get a better chance at #1 just because of the import factor. They didn’t sign him to backup. But Campbell will certainly be given a chance to “split” the games if he performs

Also mata, I apologize.. sounds like body checking will be banned in the OHL this season according to Sportsnet. What a joke

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I would think Kolosov will get a better chance at #1 just because of the import factor. They didn’t sign him to backup. But Campbell will certainly be given a chance to “split” the games if he performs

Also mata, I apologize.. sounds like body checking will be banned in the OHL this season according to Sportsnet. What a joke

I almost feel like if that was the case, Campbell would seek a trade or try to go elsewhere if he isn't going to at least split 50/50. At least that was the impression I got from the talk amongst some of people closer to his inner circle last season. He was brought in to be that "championship run" net minder.

He (Campbell) most definitely has to improve if he wants to prove he is as good as the hype, but I would think he has to have a slight edge at this point as far as time played and it would be his to lose for the start of the season.

Not that Kulakov is a backup, he too is sacrificing a lot so we probably can't go wrong with either player, just Campbell possibly has the longer tenure here?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I almost feel like if that was the case, Campbell would seek a trade or try to go elsewhere if he isn't going to at least split 50/50. At least that was the impression I got from the talk amongst some of people closer to his inner circle last season. He was brought in to be that "championship run" net minder.

He (Campbell) most definitely has to improve if he wants to prove he is as good as the hype, but I would think he has to have a slight edge at this point as far as time played and it would be his to lose for the start of the season.

Not that Kulakov is a backup, he too is sacrificing a lot so we probably can't go wrong with either player, just Campbell possibly has the longer tenure here?
I would imagine ideally they are splitting. Campbell is still “young” in the sense of 3rd year of eligibility and only 2nd year in league. Goalies take much longer to develop. They will obviously ride Campbell just as much as Kolosov or more IF Campbell proves worthy.

My point was to say Kolosov will be coming in with more hype but yes obviously they better ride Campbell too if he shows capable. Kolosov is a much bigger security blanket than Murphy if Campbell isn’t ready or shows he will never be “ready” to be that top guy

Nothing wrong with splitting and having 2 guys. Campbell has to know that if he earns it, he was easily be the go to #1 guy in 2021-22, with Lalonde behind him

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Hello Erie! Hello Pennsylvania!
The eyes of the world are staring upon you today! Now, don't puck up the vote!

Your favourite Erie Otter of all time:
a) Connor McDavid
b) Brad Boyes
c) Dylan Strome
d) Alex Debrincat
e) Ryan O'Reilly
f) none of the above

Reactions: Mata, Moroz and NOA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events