Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Marat watch:

Washington (24)
Anaheim (27)
Vegas (29)
Anaheim (36)
Buffalo (38)

all I think would be great spots for him to land for the influence of coming to Erie. I still believe he’s very much interested in the OHL

He went to the Wild...maybe it helps entice him to come over IF the OHL can get their acts together.

Reactions: Leo Minem and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yeti found some love courtesy of the Blackhawks in the 6th round, 17th pick.
Good for Chad! He deserves it. He continues to work hard and get better. I always feel NHL teams ignore reentry guys too much in the late rounds. It’s a 6th round pick.. why not go for a guy who continues to steadily improve?

Connecting with DeBrincat and Strome too!!

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I did not see any mention of Golod, Swankler, Hoff, or Campbell...

Hopefully they use it as motivation.

Reactions: Leo Minem

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I did not see any mention of Golod, Swankler, Hoff, or Campbell...

Hopefully they use it as motivation.
Campbell should have a chance to improve for next year. He had to be more consistent this year to get the draft spot but he was way to up and down

Golod I thought would have been more likely than Yetman but so tough with their age range to get selected unfortunately. Golod is still in a position to get looks like Darren Raddysh did after his OA year. Hoffmann needs way more improvement on his offensive game to be selected

Btw.. I’m reassured to see Fowler NOT get drafted. Oshawa fans (OHL fans too) made a big stink that Erie got smoked on that deal for a “3rd year guy about to be NHL drafted!”

Ha, I mean I didn’t say it at the time because the NHL draft is such a crapshoot but Fowler was far too inconsistent, undisciplined, and had a horrible 2nd half of the year to get selected. Plus he’s an older guy for the draft class, an undersized winger, and has injury problems. He still is capable of a breakout role but more likely to just be a solid 2nd line guy. Erie got 2 high picks plus a 5th.. and if he plays an OA year (now almost a guarantee) they are getting another high pick. They did great on that deal.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Given the uncertainty of the OHL and the upcoming season, do you think it could increase the likelihood we have seen Drysdale play his last OHL game and last game in Erie?

Thoughts @NOA and @EON

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Given the uncertainty of the OHL and the upcoming season, do you think it could increase the likelihood we have seen Drysdale play his last OHL game and last game in Erie?

Thoughts @NOA and @EON
Maybe..

But way too early to say. There are a
just too many factors at play. My guess would be that Drysdale would be more likely to play in 2021-22 if the OHL had no season or a limited one. All depends on how much Anaheim is patient with him. He needs at least one more year in the OHL. Needs to work on his 2-way game and get stronger. As good as he is, he stills has many things he can and will improve on.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Ducks just signed Max Golod to an ELC, can Otters fans tell me more about him?

Fast player, good hands, sometimes can get a little too flashy and turn the puck over. However, it is a solid contributor and if he worked out would probably be a 3rd line guy for Anaheim for his ceiling.

He worked crazy hard the past couple seasons to improve his game and more than doubled his point production from year 2 to year 3.

If you're on Twitter, you can follow Mark Scheig as he is one of the team reporters, very responsive and can also give you some good insights.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck and MMC

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Ha, I mean I didn’t say it at the time because the NHL draft is such a crapshoot but Fowler was far too inconsistent, undisciplined, and had a horrible 2nd half of the year to get selected. Plus he’s an older guy for the draft class, an undersized winger, and has injury problems. He still is capable of a breakout role but more likely to just be a solid 2nd line guy. Erie got 2 high picks plus a 5th.. and if he plays an OA year (now almost a guarantee) they are getting another high pick. They did great on that deal.

Ahhhh the old "I knew it I just didn't say it". One of the most common lines used by the hfboards "scouts", coincidentally.

Btw, to the bizarre 2nd half part of this post, him getting drafted or not getting drafted doesn't affect the trade being a win/loss for Erie even 1%. If he goes out and has a great season next year (if there is one) you think the Gens would be like this guy just got us a ton of points but damn we regret this trade because he didn't get drafted? Lol. They traded for the OHL player not for his career after the OHL....

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Ahhhh the old "I knew it I just didn't say it". One of the most common lines used by the hfboards "scouts", coincidentally.

Btw, to the bizarre 2nd half part of this post, him getting drafted or not getting drafted doesn't affect the trade being a win/loss for Erie even 1%. If he goes out and has a great season next year (if there is one) you think the Gens would be like this guy just got us a ton of points but damn we regret this trade because he didn't get drafted? Lol. They traded for the OHL player not for his career after the OHL....

We talked crap on Fowler for months.. read between the lines. Sorry to hurt your feelings but at BEST he was a 6/7 round pick. And that’s purely based on projection/raw talent. Which even I was convinced would materialize for him but by end of the year I realized.. nope, maybe it won’t.. hence the reason Erie had to dump him elsewhere. Obviously if he was a rising 3/4 round NHL pick candidate, they don’t trade him “LOL”

At least I wasn’t you, seemingly expecting him to be a lock and even more of a 3/4 round pick. Clearly didn’t watch him play too much..
I did though so guess you’ll have to take my word as a hfboard “scout”

You totally missed my point on my post like you always do. So just see yourself out the thread. Thanks

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Ducks just signed Max Golod to an ELC, can Otters fans tell me more about him?
Good on him!!

I loved Golod from day 1. A good amont of skill and decent upside. He definitely is a quick skater with some solid playmaking ability. Lacks size and doesn’t do one thing that is necessarily elite. Still worry about consistency issues. But he has basic skills (speed, hands, playmaker) to maybe develop into a middle 6 forward

I’m super thrilled for him. He and Yetman should help to motivate guys like Swankler too that it’s never really too late at this level (OHL) to make an impression on scouts

Last edited:
Reactions: Mata and MMC

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Golod signing big picture:

This GREAT for Erie too. Season already in serious jeopardy and best case scenario, all goes right (sign 2 imports + youth improvement), Erie would be a 4/5ish seed. Which is still good enough to probably make Dave ride it out. Now, if Golod and potentially Yetman are gone.. Erie can easily justify trading Drysdale and capitalizing hugely.

If there is no OHL season, then what difference does it make anyways because Golod/Yeti are OAs

Ideal case imo for Erie because I would rather they get the assets for Jamie if possible

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

2020 2nd round import pick Artem Kulakov has signed with the team. This, couple with Kolosov's interest in Erie and Khustnutdinov's KHL contract lasting through the end of 2022, makes me think we are likely to see Kulakov and Kolosov as the imports this season (whenever the season happens). Kulakov seems like a good pick though, 6'2" 175 lb. dman who at least has some level of skill, put up 40 points in 29 games in a Russian U17 league last season. How his game translates remains to be seen but he could be a good 2-3 year player.

Assuming Erie gets Golod and Yetman back, with Fowler being moved and Khushnutdinov staying in the KHL, the forward group has a bit more room. I do think Erie is going to expect Saganiuk to play top 6, and possibly Cohen as well. I think Sproule might be the last odd man out since they seem intent on keeping the third line together.

Golod-Cohen-Yetman
Swankler-Lockhart-Saganiuk
Sellan-Hoffmann-D'Amato
Ross-Bressette-Sedore
Sproule?
2019 picks

Duff-Drsydale
Morton-Kulakov
Sova-Kyrou
Gillard/Kischnick/Murphy

Campbell
Kolosov

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I think he'll be back for his overage season if there is a season, but I could be wrong.
He signed his ELC, no? Not often a guy is sent back after that. Although if there’s no AHL season then that could change that

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
He signed his ELC, no? Not often a guy is sent back after that. Although if there’s no AHL season then that could change that
Happens all the time with players... though often it is with higher picks that are locked up early

Lodnia came back after signing (and for OA season). Strome came back after signing. It happens more frequently than you think

Golod is not good enough to make the NHL and is not dominant at the OHL level. They now own his rights and can certainly decide AHL is the best option but he still needs to prove that..

Reactions: EON

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
From my understanding of things, Marat would be here if not for COVID. I still see it as a small chance but the OHL season is so significantly in doubt, I don’t think we will see him. But Erie is better off going with Kulakov though for a long-term reason.

If the OHL season ends up cancelled, we are retaining Kulakov for the following season (Marat on the other hand might become AHL ready). Even if the OHL season happens, it’s going to be severely limited with games, etc. I will take 2-3 years of Kulakov over a screwed up, limited season of Marat

Defensively Erie is, theoretically, in great shape moving forward. Development remains to be seen but..
Morton (2002)
Kyrou (2003)
Kulakov (2003)
Sova (2004)

Plus their unsigned prospects of Murphy (03) and Geary (04)

You could have those 5/6 guys for 3 years. It doesn’t account for other late picks/prospects that we know Erie has a track record of developing. So, I am pleased with our defensive depth. Sova the key piece to be the star of the backend and they should be in good shape

J Simmons

Feb 11, 2018

2020 2nd round import pick Artem Kulakov has signed with the team. This, couple with Kolosov's interest in Erie and Khustnutdinov's KHL contract lasting through the end of 2022, makes me think we are likely to see Kulakov and Kolosov as the imports this season (whenever the season happens). Kulakov seems like a good pick though, 6'2" 175 lb. dman who at least has some level of skill, put up 40 points in 29 games in a Russian U17 league last season. How his game translates remains to be seen but he could be a good 2-3 year player.

Assuming Erie gets Golod and Yetman back, with Fowler being moved and Khushnutdinov staying in the KHL, the forward group has a bit more room. I do think Erie is going to expect Saganiuk to play top 6, and possibly Cohen as well. I think Sproule might be the last odd man out since they seem intent on keeping the third line together.

Golod-Cohen-Yetman
Swankler-Lockhart-Saganiuk
Sellan-Hoffmann-D'Amato
Ross-Bressette-Sedore
Sproule?
2019 picks

Duff-Drsydale
Morton-Kulakov
Sova-Kyrou
Gillard/Kischnick/Murphy

Campbell
Kolosov

we’re all positive about our forward core. But you’re stretching with Cohen as first line Center.

I think Golod will be in a similar situation as Bode Wilde. He’ll get a chance in minors (if there’s a season) and depending on his performance he’ll get sent down or kept (more than likely the former).

I still have a feeling the otters will move someone before the season starts this year...

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
we’re all positive about our forward core. But you’re stretching with Cohen as first line Center.

I think Golod will be in a similar situation as Bode Wilde. He’ll get a chance in minors (if there’s a season) and depending on his performance he’ll get sent down or kept (more than likely the former).

I still have a feeling the otters will move someone before the season starts this year...
Consider the amount of bodies they have upfront, they have to trade someone ... that’s not a stretch

I would like to see them go into camp (if and when there is one) and let the best man win the job. Don’t make assumptions or have these pre set lines. Example: If Sellan made little improvement but Bressette has made big strides, you need to be logical and go with the younger guy. Let them earn their spots

J Simmons

Feb 11, 2018
Consider the amount of bodies they have upfront, they have to trade someone ... that’s not a stretch

I would like to see them go into camp (if and when there is one) and let the best man win the job. Don’t make assumptions or have these pre set lines. Example: If Sellan made little improvement but Bressette has made big strides, you need to be logical and go with the younger guy. Let them earn their spots
Cohen is 5’11 max and barely 170 pounds. As a Center that’s way below par.
On top of that Swankler is a competent Center man, Yetman as well. Makes no sense to take Yetman off of the position he’s played so well at the past 2 seasons. And Cohen is battling with Hoffmann and Lockhart for a 2nd line placement. I’d see him 3rd line centre. Considering Hoffmann and Lockhart both have experience on the wing.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Cohen is 5’11 max and barely 170 pounds. As a Center that’s way below par.
On top of that Swankler is a competent Center man, Yetman as well. Makes no sense to take Yetman off of the position he’s played so well at the past 2 seasons. And Cohen is battling with Hoffmann and Lockhart for a 2nd line placement. I’d see him 3rd line centre. Considering Hoffmann and Lockhart both have experience on the wing.
Then take Lockhart off center too. He’s too small. Matter of fact, Rossi should switch positions too

You always sound too harsh in your assessment. We don’t know what these guys have been doing, especially in a hugely extended offseason. The team really is high on Cohen and have been since day 1. It’s not far-fetched to think he has a chance to be much more productive this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad