Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I agree from a franchise standpoint that the 3rd line has to be broken up for progression, but my take is Brown and Hartsburg, or at least Hartsburg, wants "yes men" and the talent of said players is secondary to cohesiveness. That is why I would see them packaging something up to get a higher end forward or defenseman. It could also translate into more picks, but at some point we have to go all in on a run. Stockpiling picks won't accomplish that. Assuming a shortenend season, Hartsburg has 1.5 years to get his crap together or we are probably looking at a coaching change (I hope it doesn't take that long). That is the reason I could see them trying to acquire more top end talent. There is no big picture in our current path unless the next 1.5 years are at the very least top half finishes.

I don't think that mentality flies at this level, the cohesiveness before talent, but on paper at least it appears to be the direction of the organization until it falls flat.

Couple of things

1) Brown is super big on talent, skill, speed. Erie will never turn into a North Bay with Brown around. If Hartsburg is not for talent and wants to play that style, he would have never been hired to start. Your GM and coach MUST mesh together on a goal for how to build a team or you can’t win imo. Brown wants speed/skill first and everything else secondary to that. He’s been super vocal on this. Fowler (as an example) has speed/skill. If he doesn’t work on his defense/work ethic to become a “yes man” (for example) than fine, you move him out of town. But it starts with speed/skill. Yes, I agree they want good character in the room but that’s difficult to gauge until you get a guy signed and in your program for 2+ years. It’s a “case by case” basis. Dane Fox had personal issues throughout his time in London but worked out well for Erie. Brown is certainly flexible to different personalities or allowing guys a chance to grow.. but eventually it just isn’t a systematic fit with some guys. Talent is step one though and that’s the main thing missing - high end talent. Fowler or Swankler are getting most of the shade for not fitting in or “meshing” with the team but nobody would care as much if they potted 30g and 75pts. Their production doesn’t warrant those issues

2) you mentioned “at some point” Erie has to go on a run. I agree with that sentiment. The last 3 years have been bad for fan support. They need to win. But they also have zero picks to work with. This is where adding Kolosov and Marat becomes significant. Imo they don’t need to “go all in” in the next 2 years but they do need to be way more competitive. For me, that means being a 3/4 seed this year and at least getting deep in round 2 of the playoffs (if there is even a season).

3) I actually think Erie could afford to “stockpile” picks. Only problem is, in order to do that, they sacrifice the success of this year. I will say this though.. if it’s a shortened season, I would look to sell a bit. Maybe that means someone like Yetman or maybe even considering the move of Drysdale. I certainly would leave everything on the table if I’m Brown.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Mata I liked your thought on “what’s the plan?” Or what is the path moving forward? Would be curious how you and other fans envision it happening in the most realistic way possible. Obviously my ideal path would be win it all next year :laugh: but let’s try to be realistic with their roster/coaching/draft picks etc

For me,
I would like to see them get as many picks this year as possible while still being competitive. This means by years end, a net gain of 2/3 top end picks while finishing top 5 in the conference is realistic and would be applauded by me. Winning round 1 of the playoffs and being competitive in round 2 will be acceptable

For 2021-22, I want Erie to be in the same type of position. Adjust the roster as needed and remain a top 5 conference team. By 2022-23, the hope is you have built great depth around Lockhart, Saganiuk, Sova, and Lalonde. Combine good depth and those guys being “stars” then there is your window of opportunity to go all in. Too early to project with those players but it does give Erie 2 years to add 3/4 valuable picks so that when they make their next run they have 7/8 picks to work with, which you need to make a decent run at it

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Since Hartsburg is not going anywhere...

1. Deal Henry and whomever is not "galvanizing" the team. That could be the likes of Fowler or Swankler. Reading between the lines it sounded as if it was a higher end talent. Get trade value either in players that will be here 2 - 3 years OR draft picks.
2. Figure out Marat (he is a big key in all of this). Without Marat a deep playoff run this year and/or title run next year is OUT.
3. Finish Top 5 in conference with a decent showing and maybe take round 1.
4. Reload after Duff, Golod, and Yeti...possibly Drysdale if they underperformed.
5. Make the title run in 2021-2022!

Although the more I look at the roster/situation they have little trade value outside of the big 3 OA, Drysdale, and maybe Fowler which makes stocking up draft picks, sucking, and losing more confidence in the fan base a bigger reality and why I put the emphasis on this season and next being so vital. I think this year kind of gets a pass as far as fans being disappointed only because of the whole shut down the world, but if they aren't ready to go in 2021 and be a serious top 5 + playoff worthy the future looks very bleak.

A title run in 2021/2022 is going to be tough. They have to play close to perfect in execution of trades, the draft, development of players, and remain injury free but fans are not 2-3 years down the road...they want results now, especially after the last 3 years.

I think we have decent young talent to develop, but if we aren't going to do anything in the next 2 years, is Hartsburg gone which means the 3rd year you speak of could be a new coach with a completely different philosophy and not the core group he wants. I guess if we're looking at year 3 to really solidify a run, then fans have to either buy into Hartsburg or be patient for him to leave and realize year 3 with a new coach may be a roller coaster as well. Last year was a tipping point with patience for him IMO

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Since Hartsburg is not going anywhere...

1. Deal Henry and whomever is not "galvanizing" the team. That could be the likes of Fowler or Swankler. Reading between the lines it sounded as if it was a higher end talent. Get trade value either in players that will be here 2 - 3 years OR draft picks.
2. Figure out Marat (he is a big key in all of this). Without Marat a deep playoff run this year and/or title run next year is OUT.
3. Finish Top 5 in conference with a decent showing and maybe take round 1.
4. Reload after Duff, Golod, and Yeti...possibly Drysdale if they underperformed.
5. Make the title run in 2021-2022!

Although the more I look at the roster/situation they have little trade value outside of the big 3 OA, Drysdale, and maybe Fowler which makes stocking up draft picks, sucking, and losing more confidence in the fan base a bigger reality and why I put the emphasis on this season and next being so vital. I think this year kind of gets a pass as far as fans being disappointed only because of the whole shut down the world, but if they aren't ready to go in 2021 and be a serious top 5 + playoff worthy the future looks very bleak.

A title run in 2021/2022 is going to be tough. They have to play close to perfect in execution of trades, the draft, development of players, and remain injury free but fans are not 2-3 years down the road...they want results now, especially after the last 3 years.

I think we have decent young talent to develop, but if we aren't going to do anything in the next 2 years, is Hartsburg gone which means the 3rd year you speak of could be a new coach with a completely different philosophy and not the core group he wants. I guess if we're looking at year 3 to really solidify a run, then fans have to either buy into Hartsburg or be patient for him to leave and realize year 3 with a new coach may be a roller coaster as well. Last year was a tipping point with patience for him IMO
I agree that we are all losing patience. Fans want results but most fans aren’t expecting championship level 2013-2017 results. We just don’t want to be 8/9 seed. Let’s see 4/5 seed finishes.

Given the roster complexion for next season, assuming zero moves outside of Henry and adding imports, I feel a 3/4 finish is maxing out a bit on their potential. Anything more would mean players like Lockhart, Saganiuk, etc light the league on fire. I personally would be satisfied with a 3/4 finish because that at least brings a spark and energy back to the fans. Certainly more stuff to talk about. But it’s not worth adding 1/2 players and further depleting the draft picks for a 3/4 seed finish..

I think if fans got a 3-5 finish the next two years, they would be content with it, especially if the young talent was trending upwards. Imo if they do that the next two years, then Hartsburg will have proved a bit more to me.

Again, I can easily excuse 2017-18 and 2018-19. Last year was the tipping point but the OT/SO situation and some bad injury luck was a big factor. They weren’t getting blown out and were close in many games against good teams, they just lacked a bit to pull them through late in games. Getting better goalie play and more high end offensive talent should help.

I actually feel the opposite of Mata on the valuable trade pieces they have. They have 2 top OAs (Golod/Yetman), 2 solid 2001s who still have good offensive upside (Fowler/Swankler) and most importantly an elite puck moving defender (Drysdale). Plus some spare part depth pieces

Realistically, if Erie wanted to sell off - they could move Drysdale and 2 other bigger name forwards for 8-10 high end picks and a top young player. Drysdale alone would get you a significant return

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I agree that we are all losing patience. Fans want results but most fans aren’t expecting championship level 2013-2017 results. We just don’t want to be 8/9 seed. Let’s see 4/5 seed finishes.

Given the roster complexion for next season, assuming zero moves outside of Henry and adding imports, I feel a 3/4 finish is maxing out a bit on their potential. Anything more would mean players like Lockhart, Saganiuk, etc light the league on fire. I personally would be satisfied with a 3/4 finish because that at least brings a spark and energy back to the fans. Certainly more stuff to talk about. But it’s not worth adding 1/2 players and further depleting the draft picks for a 3/4 seed finish..

I think if fans got a 3-5 finish the next two years, they would be content with it, especially if the young talent was trending upwards. Imo if they do that the next two years, then Hartsburg will have proved a bit more to me.

Again, I can easily excuse 2017-18 and 2018-19. Last year was the tipping point but the OT/SO situation and some bad injury luck was a big factor. They weren’t getting blown out and were close in many games against good teams, they just lacked a bit to pull them through late in games. Getting better goalie play and more high end offensive talent should help.

I actually feel the opposite of Mata on the valuable trade pieces they have. They have 2 top OAs (Golod/Yetman), 2 solid 2001s who still have good offensive upside (Fowler/Swankler) and most importantly an elite puck moving defender (Drysdale). Plus some spare part depth pieces

Realistically, if Erie wanted to sell off - they could move Drysdale and 2 other bigger name forwards for 8-10 high end picks and a top young player. Drysdale alone would get you a significant return

I'll elaborate on the trade value piece with what I meant...

Our best fielded team this year will have Duff, Golod, and Yeti. Drysdale must also be a part of it. Fowler and Swankler, let's call then 1B talent as it relates to the team are very solid pieces for a chance at a deeper run.

IF we are to keep the 3 OA to me that means we are going all in this year and next. In order to go all in we will need Drysdale, Fowler, Swankler for this season. Who does that leave for trade value? Henry will be shopped/cut. Hoff, D'Amato, Sellan, Kish, Morton, Sedore, Sproule, Gillard, Bressette, Kyrou will likely not garner much attention as far as trading to what we need to make a deeper run.

I think in the trade value scenario which you have laid out we would basically call this season a wash because of what is going on, unload whom you've said, and hope for 2022. I don't think people will be patient for what is essentially another rebuild and a season we throw in the towel before it starts.

The more we discuss this, the more realistic it actually looks to gut what we have and take what we can get, but enough is enough in my mind. We keep saying 2 - 3 years and in 2 - 3 years we aren't where we want to be so we gut the team again? That is the cycle I want them to break. I have serious doubts it will be done under Hartsburg so unloading everyone and prepping for a new coach may be Erie's last shot.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
And I love your posts NOA, but admins took my like button away for arguing with Canadians...so they are all in depth and appreciated as always hahaha

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I'll elaborate on the trade value piece with what I meant...

Our best fielded team this year will have Duff, Golod, and Yeti. Drysdale must also be a part of it. Fowler and Swankler, let's call then 1B talent as it relates to the team are very solid pieces for a chance at a deeper run.

IF we are to keep the 3 OA to me that means we are going all in this year and next. In order to go all in we will need Drysdale, Fowler, Swankler for this season. Who does that leave for trade value? Henry will be shopped/cut. Hoff, D'Amato, Sellan, Kish, Morton, Sedore, Sproule, Gillard, Bressette, Kyrou will likely not garner much attention as far as trading to what we need to make a deeper run.

I think in the trade value scenario which you have laid out we would basically call this season a wash because of what is going on, unload whom you've said, and hope for 2022. I don't think people will be patient for what is essentially another rebuild and a season we throw in the towel before it starts.

The more we discuss this, the more realistic it actually looks to gut what we have and take what we can get, but enough is enough in my mind. We keep saying 2 - 3 years and in 2 - 3 years we aren't where we want to be so we gut the team again? That is the cycle I want them to break. I have serious doubts it will be done under Hartsburg so unloading everyone and prepping for a new coach may be Erie's last shot.

I’m going to be patient on the “I doubt it can be done”

Brown took over full time in 2015-16. He handled the depleted assets (what Sherry left him) very well in 2016 and 2017. It was inevitable after 4 straight runs (something even London doesn’t toy with) that Erie would have a down slide. I’m impressed they weren’t even the worst team straight out the gate of the rebuild. So again, the first 2 years is a product of that..
I posted the players they potentially missed out on in the draft the other day. Add to it losing Neumann, McShane, Saban, etc. They were right where they should have been. Last year was a disappointment because I felt a 6/7 seed finish was more where they should have been

But this is the critical year to evaluate things. Dave can’t screw up and let the team be a 6/7 seed while holding onto Drysdale. Conversely, he can’t go out and buy on players because they don’t have the assets to waste. Making 1/2 “minor” moves is one thing but they better be calculated and needed (i.e a defender to replace Henry)

When you ask what type of assets they can move outside of the 3 OAs, Drysdale, Fowler, Swankler .. I’m not sure what you mean?
If you mean assets to move in a sell off.. that’s a tremendous amount of ammo (especially with Jamie). Any more “ammo” would mean they are in a position to go for it
The whole point is they have just enough ammo to make selling off make sense but not enough ammo (talent) to probably make a legit run (given their lack of picks to add more). That’s the conundrum. Last year they had way less ammo to move because Drysdale was coming back this year, Golod/Yetman were still in “prove it” years, especially early on in the season, and Fowler/Swankler would have been dangerous to move (given their age/still having potential and likely lower value)

So this year they have the chips to deal. It would be wise but it’s not necessary if the market is bad and/or you feel you can be a good top 4 seed

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
And I love your posts NOA, but admins took my like button away for arguing with Canadians...so they are all in depth and appreciated as always hahaha
:laugh: always good having discussions with you Mata

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I just don't want to see another "half-measure" season. This off-season has been excellent thus far (signing Saganiuk/Sova/Ross/Lalonde, two good import picks who both seem to be interested in Erie, Murphy trade) but still a lot depends on the import situation and if guys actually sign. If both Kolosov and Khushnutdinov show up, I think they seriously need to consider going in for a title run.

If the import situation falls apart, then I think they need to full-scale sell. It would probably be another hit to the fanbase but finishing in the 6-10 range in what is likely Drysdale's last season (plus Yetman/Golod/Duff/Henry's last season, obviously) and hanging on to them would be unacceptable.

Either nail the import picks, trade out the player(s) who are causing chemistry issues (Swankler?), pick up a legitimate top 4 dman and go for it; OR sell off Drsydale/Yetman/Golod, which would land the team a ton in draft capital/good young players, and look to go for it in 21-22/22-23.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I just don't want to see another "half-measure" season. This off-season has been excellent thus far (signing Saganiuk/Sova/Ross/Lalonde, two good import picks who both seem to be interested in Erie, Murphy trade) but still a lot depends on the import situation and if guys actually sign. If both Kolosov and Khushnutdinov show up, I think they seriously need to consider going in for a title run.

If the import situation falls apart, then I think they need to full-scale sell. It would probably be another hit to the fanbase but finishing in the 6-10 range in what is likely Drysdale's last season (plus Yetman/Golod/Duff/Henry's last season, obviously) and hanging on to them would be unacceptable.

Either nail the import picks, trade out the player(s) who are causing chemistry issues (Swankler?), pick up a legitimate top 4 dman and go for it; OR sell off Drsydale/Yetman/Golod, which would land the team a ton in draft capital/good young players, and look to go for it in 21-22/22-23.

I’m not sure if they really have the guns to go for it this year but the OHL is hosting the Memorial Cup (if there is one). I guess they could have the ammo to make a true run if certain guys take that next step but too much right now depends on development of key pieces

I’m with you though, I don’t want a half measure season. Drysdale is too dang good to sit on for 3 years of crap. Plus it’s not fair to him given his true professional attitude. I think Dave needs to leave all possible options open.

If the team can be a 3/4 seed prior to making any major moves, then that means he should be open to making some moves to try for a run. But if the team is trending as a 5/6 seed then I think you have to move on from at least Drysdale. If they are a 7/8 seed again and the imports don’t work out.. full sell mode, which means Drysdale, OAs, and anyone else you can. Plus firing the entire staff.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

I too also believe it is time to crap or get off the pot.

However, they can't be caught in this purgatory again like you stated. Try to figure out how to give it a go if a couple more dominos fall or get rid of all trade value at the best possible return, Erie will hate them for it, but as long as they would bounce back NEXT season it won't sting as much. Push it off 2 years and I think that is where patience falls thin.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I too also believe it is time to crap or get off the pot.

However, they can't be caught in this purgatory again like you stated. Try to figure out how to give it a go if a couple more dominos fall or get rid of all trade value at the best possible return, Erie will hate them for it, but as long as they would bounce back NEXT season it won't sting as much. Push it off 2 years and I think that is where patience falls thin.
My idea of pushing it off 2/3 years is just to say thats their next shot to go “all in” as a top title contender. But believe me that patience is only acceptable if the next two years involve competitive teams finishing in the 3/4 range. Or this coming year being a full dump off and next year being a 4-5 seed finish. I don’t think it’s wrong to just accept that and let us slowly recoup picks which are still significantly limited. There is nothing wrong with being a 3/4 team but if you are a 3/4 team you probably aren’t going to beat the best of the best unless you make MAJOR move(s) which I’m not sure erie can afford to do. If they do next year, all that means is restarting the “rebuild” yet again the following year...

What I would rather see?
Be a consistent middle pack 3-5 seed team the next 2/3 years. By 2022-23, you will be talking about 2023-2026 drafts which are much more stable. Then maybe you crack the can again. My problem is that in 24 years of hockey, Erie has about 7 really great years. But they also have 12 crap years. They only have about 5 middle pack seasons. You can’t win every year (unless you got the deep pockets of London). Erie needs to try to be more like Guelph, Windsor, etc and be more stable in their “down years”
We just went for it from 2013-2017. It’s been 3 years. I’m okay with it being another 2 years until they go for it again.. like do people not realize the assets they lost in those years were unprecedented???

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
My idea of pushing it off 2/3 years is just to say thats their next shot to go “all in” as a top title contender. But believe me that patience is only acceptable if the next two years involve competitive teams finishing in the 3/4 range. Or this coming year being a full dump off and next year being a 4-5 seed finish. I don’t think it’s wrong to just accept that and let us slowly recoup picks which are still significantly limited. There is nothing wrong with being a 3/4 team but if you are a 3/4 team you probably aren’t going to beat the best of the best unless you make MAJOR move(s) which I’m not sure erie can afford to do. If they do next year, all that means is restarting the “rebuild” yet again the following year...

What I would rather see?
Be a consistent middle pack 3-5 seed team the next 2/3 years. By 2022-23, you will be talking about 2023-2026 drafts which are much more stable. Then maybe you crack the can again. My problem is that in 24 years of hockey, Erie has about 7 really great years. But they also have 12 crap years. They only have about 5 middle pack seasons. You can’t win every year (unless you got the deep pockets of London). Erie needs to try to be more like Guelph, Windsor, etc and be more stable in their “down years”
We just went for it from 2013-2017. It’s been 3 years. I’m okay with it being another 2 years until they go for it again.. like do people not realize the assets they lost in those years were unprecedented???

I think our expectations and those of the majority of season ticket holders are different. In my mind Erie wants a 4 - 6 seed consistently over the nostalgia of the McDavid years. Sure they were amazing, likely an anomaly for quite some time, but the fans want to win the majority of games, the deeper runs are just bonuses and those types of special seasons are bonuses.

I see the same thing here with baseball as we go to a ton of games. When the Seawolves are competing in the top half, games are packed, they are fun, and the energy usually propels the team to play better than they may actually be and they attract more interest/talent.

I think some of these swing and a miss players over the past couple seasons are mostly because players like Alexander or Marat are hesitant to come play for a bottom dweller, regardless of the OHL talent level. We in a sense saw it with Lodnia, though more of it was his selfishness. He wanted exposure and a consistently performing bottom team doesn't get as much, it hinders recruiting, etc.

I imagine if we would have had average or above average progression we would have been able to land Marat last season and possibly Alexander. Sanagiuk may have come sooner. These kids want to win at all costs and the mentality of 2 - 3 more years turns off the elite kids you need to win now.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Sorry Mata but I 1000% disagree,

Most players can see that the team was/is young. And Brown can easily explain “yeah we traded 2 million picks and 5 young players to go on title runs for 4 years so we had to rebuild” oh and “Also have you seen our recent NHL alumni?? Because really only London is better..”

Saganiuk didn’t come last year because he had a opportunity to play USNDT, a special program. He’s signed now though so your comment makes no sense: “could have signed earlier” ??? What? If he was concerned with the records or direction of team in 2019, why sign the following year after Erie posted the same type of season? He weighed his many options and still picked Erie

As for Marat.. I still can tell you he is 100% interested in being here next year. I can’t predict Covid but I can say that if the OHL can start a normal season in the fall, I expect him to be here

As for Alexander.. no. Please don’t make that leap. He was committed to ASU before Erie ever drafted him. Erie took a gamble and it didn’t work. Maybe with a better record they sway him but it is very unlikely because he has been a strong commit since day 1. Larkin was a strong commit too and not even McDavid/Strome could sway him..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I would bet my life to say that most casual fans just want to stay competitive. Erie didn’t lose fans from 2003-2014 because they didn’t win a title.. they lost fans because they consistently missed the playoffs and were a bottom 4/5 team in the league. The fact of the matter is they just recently had 4 tremendous years that majority organizations would love to get over the course of a decade. Now we have to be smart and build our system/draft capital back up.

Obviously every sports team WANTS their team to win a championship every year but we have to be realistic. They just won in 2017. They were in the finals in 2015.
There are 13 franchises that haven’t won a title in over a decade. There are 6 franchises that haven’t even made it to the finals in the last decade. London/Guelph are the only teams to have won more titles than Erie in the last decade and Erie is one of just 5 teams to have made the finals 2 times in the last decade. In comparison to the rest of the league, their top level success is pretty good.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Hopefully you guys wont slam me for my opinion, which some can take as positive and some can take as negative.

Erie has unproven goalies (fact) and to be a contender will have to trade for a top end goalie which will deplete either alot of draft picks or young prospects or both Their defense besides 2 guys, is not proven and young and not contender potential. Their offence has the ability to make some noise but a few have to be packaged for more veteran and proven forwards. Can DB or Erie accomplish this for this year. I would say realistically NO.

We also assume that Drysdale will be around for this year, which he should be, but anything is possible with new NHL climate.

So, either you accept middle of the pack for a 2-3 further years or do it right and sell.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hopefully you guys wont slam me for my opinion, which some can take as positive and some can take as negative.

Erie has unproven goalies (fact) and to be a contender will have to trade for a top end goalie which will deplete either alot of draft picks or young prospects or both Their defense besides 2 guys, is not proven and young and not contender potential. Their offence has the ability to make some noise but a few have to be packaged for more veteran and proven forwards. Can DB or Erie accomplish this for this year. I would say realistically NO.

We also assume that Drysdale will be around for this year, which he should be, but anything is possible with new NHL climate.

So, either you accept middle of the pack for a 2-3 further years or do it right and sell.

I mostly agree they won’t be in a position to go for it. But I also think they need to be better than 8/9 seed.. so to me the goal should be to try and make small sell moves but otherwise stand pat and be a 4/5 seed if able. If the team is not capable of that then full sell will have to happen

There are too many question marks. But Kolosov is probably showing up in Erie if there is a season. Campbell still has exciting potential. So yes, “fact,” they are unproven but in any scenario discussed about “going for it,” you are also assuming to do so only if guys develop/reach potential. Campbell and Kolosov at the least should be decent. They could also be very good.

The Covid situation all but guarantees Drysdale will be back if the OHL plays due to lack of formal offseason program and late NHL draft. He was virtually a lock before but now he definitely is

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Summer Spotlight: Otters gearing up for 25th anniversary season – Ontario Hockey League

Erie appears to have some new things to prepared for this season

Some of these things I liked most:

-Appears they will have players throughout their history be at games all during the year. Should see many faces from early seasons all the way to recent seasons. Hopefully a few NHL guys make a pit stop in Erie

-Sounds like they will have a 25th Anniversary jersey which is always a fun thing for the players and fans

-Previous players are now doing regular zoom calls with veteran players on this team. I love this idea. Erie has a good group of alumni and they should want them involved in talking with current players to keep the feeling of a family atmosphere

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Breaking: Erie Otters have traded Hayden Fowler to Oshawa. Erie gets a second in 2022, third in 2024 and conditional fifth in 2022.

Is anyone really surprised here? Wish him the best and hopefully he can find his game again in Oshawa. Past injuries just didn’t help him here in Erie. A change in scenery should help.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Breaking: Erie Otters have traded Hayden Fowler to Oshawa. Erie gets a second in 2022, third in 2024 and conditional fifth in 2022.

Is anyone really surprised here? Wish him the best and hopefully he can find his game again in Oshawa. Past injuries just didn’t help him here in Erie. A change in scenery should help.
Zero surprise.

The rumors have been here for months. I understand Fowler has basically been inconsistent since day 1 and has not developed the way we expected after his rookie year

So imo the trade pieces back are probably to be expected and fair.
I hope these trades aren’t void if the OHL cancels their season, which I think is still a major possibility. Satisfied as a result Erie moves on from him now.

But I will say this.. from a talent standpoint, Erie now NEEDS two top 6 forwards if they want to improve on last year and be a top 5 seed.

Golod / Yetman are the only two I trust.

Swankler needs to be better. Saganiuk and Lockhart are too young to both be relied on.

Without Khusnutdinov, this team should tank and trade Drysdale because they won’t be good enough to even be a 5/6 seed with that offense..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
So far,

Erie has acquired
2nd
3rd
3rd
5th*
6th*

Shipping out Murphy and Fowler

Murphy had to go due to OA numbers game. And one of Fowler/Swankler had to go due to various reasons discussed

As of now, I like the returns on them. If Covid impacts the amount of games in the season it’s even better. Now let’s try to move Henry for 1/2 quality picks.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I would have preferred they got a bit more for Fowler but I'm not surprised. It seems possible he was the guy (or one of) that didn't fit in, that quote Brown had the other day when they moved Murphy. Are they set now or could Swanker/Sproule be moved as well? Certainly Henry will be moved at some point which will hopefully net them at least a mid-round pick.

They really need Khushnutdinov to show up now to bolster their top 6 and be a competitive team. Something like this is still quite appealing to me:

Golod-Khushnutdinov-Yetman
Swankler-Lockhart-Saganiuk
D'Amato-Hoffmann-Sellan
Sproule/Sedore/Ross-Bressette-Cohen

Moving out Murphy, Fowler, and eventually Henry is helping to re-stock their draft picks. Here's what I have right now:

20201stOTT 2ndBAR 3rd HAM 6th, 6th7th 9th 11th12th13th, KGN 13th14th15th, BAR 15th
20211stSSM 2nd NIA 6th*, 6th7th8th9th 11th12th13th, SAR 13th14th
20221stKIT 2nd OSH 5th*, 5th6th7th 9th10th11th12th13th, NIA 13th14th15th
20231stLDN 2nd 4th5th6th7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th15th
20241st2ndNIA 3rd, MISS 3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th 11th12th13th14th15th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Zero surprise.

The rumors have been here for months. I understand Fowler has basically been inconsistent since day 1 and has not developed the way we expected after his rookie year

So imo the trade pieces back are probably to be expected and fair.
I hope these trades aren’t void if the OHL cancels their season, which I think is still a major possibility. Satisfied as a result Erie moves on from him now.

But I will say this.. from a talent standpoint, Erie now NEEDS two top 6 forwards if they want to improve on last year and be a top 5 seed.

Golod / Yetman are the only two I trust.

Swankler needs to be better. Saganiuk and Lockhart are too young to both be relied on.

Without Khusnutdinov, this team should tank and trade Drysdale because they won’t be good enough to even be a 5/6 seed with that offense..

It is sad that such a coveted talent had injury and himself to blame for not obtaining his potential. He is his own worst enemy. I think the return is fair and it completely changes the team dynamic. If Fowler has the season we think he can have, we may have lost out, but given the patience with him and the return to this point, he will likely project around 80 points if he stays healthy.

We will NEED Swankler to step up. I think he is capable. We will also need some of the others developing players to have big jumps. It puts a lot more stress on Dave to get Marat here. Overall I think it was a smart move, but it does suck to see probably you're 3rd best offensive weapon leaving and creates questions as to the direction of the team.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
EON, I’m not sure how they could have gotten much more..

You have a guy who basically hasn’t done much to progress since his first year. He has a noted injury history, and is undisciplined. Combine that with him being a 1st round pick so Erie can only move him where he is willing to go

also combine the COVID situation and most teams are going to sit idle for now.

Comp trades of guys traded with 2 years of eligibility left:

Sam Bitten - 3rd and 5th
Jacob Ingham (NHL pick) - 2nd, 3rd, 3rd
Tag Bertuzzi (3.5 years left) - 2nd, 3rd, 3rd

The going rate typically for NHL drafted players is 4 high end picks. The Covid situation delayed the NHL draft for Erie (thus Fowler “undrafted” but I’m not sure Fowler even gets picked (probably a 6-7th round at best).

But Covid also creates uncertainty of a season, let alone a complete year, being completed.

At best, that 5th round pick being a 3rd round pick instead is about all the more you could expect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->