Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I’m actually disappointed if we don’t get a season. The year we FINALLY get season tickets that are paid in full already, for no hockey. We first need it to be safe to get back into the EIA and that means everyone doing their part to slow the spread. I’m willing to wait until the day comes that we can go to these activities again, but it’s still disappointing if Canadian teams can play and we’re stuck on the outside looking in. We could do better.

We’ve had so many months to get this virus under control and we’ve seen very, very little signs of improvement. The virus needs to be taken more seriously here in the states for us to get any sort of freedom or leisure activities back (high school and college sports included).

Has anyone heard anything regarding season ticket holders?
I have not heard anything with season ticket holders, sorry. But have to imagine the organization will refund the fans in full if there is no season/no fans allowed

It’s also unfortunate because Erie was looking up with some nice young talent. But every team will be impacted by this. Just have to hope long-term they aren’t significantly impacted

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I have not heard anything with season ticket holders, sorry. But have to imagine the organization will refund the fans in full if there is no season/no fans allowed

It’s also unfortunate because Erie was looking up with some nice young talent. But every team will be impacted by this. Just have to hope long-term they aren’t significantly impacted
That’s what I figured what would happen. It’s just frustrating that the past few seasons we haven’t played well. This year looks promising and we are excited to see what pans out. We have good additions for this season, it’s sad that we won’t be able to watch.

Everyone is going through this as you mentioned, just imagine if the pandemic occurred when Sherry Bassin was selling off the team! My hope is we are able to see hockey live soon even if it’s not until the beginning of 2021.

Reactions: Cprambler5 and NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I am one of the more negative posters on this thread... Mata can confirm that :laugh:

I thought the list was just for an interesting look and provides a bit more than just saying they lost out on X amount of picks. Some of those names became really solid/good OHL players. A few others became good depth players. It doesn’t account for Erie also trading players like Neumann and McShane but regardless, their high end trades mostly involved 2nd/3rd round picks. Which if you follow the OHL, you’ll realize that only a small percentage (maybe 10-20%??) of those players actually become “stars” or even high caliber players. Most become solid players or simply depth pieces. Point being .. that list is actually pretty good by OHL standards when picking in those rounds. And obviously Erie would not have selected those same players with those same picks

I prefer the term overly critical hahaha!!! You put good work and thought into your posts and can play devil's advocate well.

And I understood the point you were trying to make. I guess you should have left names out!?!?! I mean, we don't know who they would have drafted, but it is a nice reference to see who was actually picked in those spots.

Reactions: NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I’m actually disappointed if we don’t get a season. The year we FINALLY get season tickets that are paid in full already, for no hockey. We first need it to be safe to get back into the EIA and that means everyone doing their part to slow the spread. I’m willing to wait until the day comes that we can go to these activities again, but it’s still disappointing if Canadian teams can play and we’re stuck on the outside looking in. We could do better.

We’ve had so many months to get this virus under control and we’ve seen very, very little signs of improvement. The virus needs to be taken more seriously here in the states for us to get any sort of freedom or leisure activities back (high school and college sports included).

Has anyone heard anything regarding season ticket holders?

Unfortunately slowing the spread is two fold...it elongated the timeline this virus hangs around but doesn't hurt as much so to speak.

Think of it like a bandaid...we are pulling it off slowly in the hopes it won't hurt as bad. We have to put up with the slow spread for many more months as opposed to ripping it off fast. It might have hurt more initially, but we would likely be much farther along on the path.

With regards to season ticket holders, they don't even know if they can play in the states yet.

I would assume 2 scenarios should hockey not really return with fans:
1. Refund
2. Roll over to next season

Reactions: OttersFan and NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I was bored...here are the city sizes relative to the teams in the OHL. I may get bored and do arena sizes as well later.

London = 400k
Kitchener = 240k
Guelph = 135k
Owen Sound = 21k
Erie = 96k
Saginaw = 48k
Flint = 95k
Windsor = 250k
Saulte Ste Marie = 13k
Sarnia = 72k
Ottawa = 995k
Peterborough = 85k
Oshawa = 170k
Hamilton = 580k
Kingston 136k
Sudbury = 165k
Barrie = 153k
Mississauga = 828k
Niagara = 88k
North Bay = 51k

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I was bored...here are the city sizes relative to the teams in the OHL. I may get bored and do arena sizes as well later.

London = 400k
Kitchener = 240k
Guelph = 135k
Owen Sound = 21k
Erie = 96k
Saginaw = 48k
Flint = 95k
Windsor = 250k
Saulte Ste Marie = 13k
Sarnia = 72k
Ottawa = 995k
Peterborough = 85k
Oshawa = 170k
Hamilton = 580k
Kingston 136k
Sudbury = 165k
Barrie = 153k
Mississauga = 828k
Niagara = 88k
North Bay = 51k
I think your source has old number.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Article just released by MHK Spartak has an interview with Artyom Kulakov. Kulakov says in interview he “agreed” (I’m assuming to terms?) to sign with with Erie a couple days ago. He said he expects to come in October to start training and is excited for the opportunity

When asked what Erie needs to do better this year to rise in the standings, Artyom said the team is young and needs more confidence. Pretty accurate. I like him already

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Huh...

All these were taken off of Wikipedia with census stats within the past 4 years.

Interesting!
Well your right, my info is likely sketchy at best but just driving up the 401 London, Kitchener and Missy all have posted numbers higher than you have - I believe Missy is just shy of a million souls, London just shy of 500,000 and Kitchener I think the sign says 380,000. Anyway it keeps us entertained during the really, really, really long summer. I will leave you to it.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Article just released by MHK Spartak has an interview with Artyom Kulakov. Kulakov says in interview he “agreed” (I’m assuming to terms?) to sign with with Erie a couple days ago. He said he expects to come in October to start training and is excited for the opportunity

When asked what Erie needs to do better this year to rise in the standings, Artyom said the team is young and needs more confidence. Pretty accurate. I like him already

Interesting, so is Marat not coming then? I'm excited that their 2 recent picks have both shown serious interest but Marat obviously takes precedence over them if he wants to come.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Interesting, so is Marat not coming then? I'm excited that their 2 recent picks have both shown serious interest but Marat obviously takes precedence over them if he wants to come.
My original source on the Marat situation was connected to the team. I still feel that Marat has/had major interest. I don’t know how much the pandemic changes things? The OHL just recently released their plan but it still has major questions and holes. It’s more of a hopeful strategy than a true plan for real hockey

We also have not heard Erie release anything on their imports. Possible Artyom is saying “agreed” to terms as in he has verbally committed to being here. I would imagine if he signed actual documents, Erie would announce they signed him, no? Why delay the announcement if you officially signed him

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Murphy to the Ice Dogs for a 3 and 6...
Honestly not a bad return. He’s a decent starter but really more of a 1B/2A type starter.

I didn’t expect him to have much of a market because teams “going for it” aren’t going to find him to be a #1 and you don’t waste an OA spot on a backup goalie if you are making a run. That left pure rebuild teams

Unfortunately for Murphy.. Niagara is going to probably be really bad. But at least he will get a chance to play.

The fact that we got a better return for Murphy than we did Lodnia...

anyways.. getting a 3rd round pick especially with the pandemic uncertainty is a good get by Dave

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Honestly not a bad return. He’s a decent starter but really more of a 1B/2A type starter.

I didn’t expect him to have much of a market because teams “going for it” aren’t going to find him to be a #1 and you don’t waste an OA spot on a backup goalie if you are making a run. That left pure rebuild teams

Unfortunately for Murphy.. Niagara is going to probably be really bad. But at least he will get a chance to play.

The fact that we got a better return for Murphy than we did Lodnia...

anyways.. getting a 3rd round pick especially with the pandemic uncertainty is a good get by Dave

My thoughts pretty much too. I think we got a good return on Murphy. He will bring the intangibles of leadership and mentoring an up and coming goaltender or two.

He definitely isn't an elite goaltender, but some of his best qualities aren't about what he does on the ice, but rather how he conducts himself. What a class act and I wish him the best and much success, except against Erie of course hahaha!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
My thoughts pretty much too. I think we got a good return on Murphy. He will bring the intangibles of leadership and mentoring an up and coming goaltender or two.

He definitely isn't an elite goaltender, but some of his best qualities aren't about what he does on the ice, but rather how he conducts himself. What a class act and I wish him the best and much success, except against Erie of course hahaha!
I would have been satisfied with a 4th and a 6th. Just happy they got a 3rd

Now the question is, can they move Henry for a decent return prior to the season?

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Ok, just spit balling here...

If this year is a precursor to a possible deeper playoff run in 21/22 could you see Brown possibly flipping Henry + 3rd rounder for someone who may have 2 years and is ready now? Perhaps a defenseman.

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015
K
Ok, just spit balling here...

If this year is a precursor to a possible deeper playoff run in 21/22 could you see Brown possibly flipping Henry + 3rd rounder for someone who may have 2 years and is ready now? Perhaps a defenseman.

I like the idea. You talking about an 01’ or 02’? If we added Sproule and Sellan to the trade market we could have a little more ammo. Little is the keyword. You got anyone in mind you would like to see in an Otters Jersey?

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
K

I like the idea. You talking about an 01’ or 02’? If we added Sproule and Sellan to the trade market we could have a little more ammo. Little is the keyword. You got anyone in mind you would like to see in an Otters Jersey?

Well, I was thinking someone with 2 years. No one in mind in particular, however with the comments Brown made about galvanizing the team and there were 1 - 2 players that kinda caused disruption it kinda leads me to the conclusion...

They are going to keep the Hoff, Sellan, D'Amato line together. The 1 - 2 players I would imagine through this thread one could be Swankler. If that is the case perhaps they could ship him +the 3rd for an offensive weapon instead. Depending on who those 1 - 2 players are will likely dictate whether we need another big gun on the front line or if we will still need to solidify the back.

The most ideal situation is Marat comes over and so does Kolosov so we can just keep the focus on a contributing defender.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
These were the 2 bullet points I was referring to:

• As for other Otters’ potential moves, Brown said they will continue to look at the roster and make decisions. He did say something that stood out to me. “We want to be galvanized together and have the best team chemistry possible.”
  • I got the sense throughout last season that team chemistry at times was an issue. It seemed 1-2 players were not quite fitting with the team structure and what the Otters were looking for. The fact that Brown admitted they want to be galvanized together suggests there is much room for improvement there. I do not think the team is done with moves. If the right deal comes along, I would expect some surprising non-OA’s to be dealt.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Well, I was thinking someone with 2 years. No one in mind in particular, however with the comments Brown made about galvanizing the team and there were 1 - 2 players that kinda caused disruption it kinda leads me to the conclusion...

They are going to keep the Hoff, Sellan, D'Amato line together. The 1 - 2 players I would imagine through this thread one could be Swankler. If that is the case perhaps they could ship him +the 3rd for an offensive weapon instead. Depending on who those 1 - 2 players are will likely dictate whether we need another big gun on the front line or if we will still need to solidify the back.

The most ideal situation is Marat comes over and so does Kolosov so we can just keep the focus on a contributing defender.
They are not in a position to be selling off 2/3 round picks next season in what will be a shortened/impact pandemic year anyways

So the idea of packaging someone like Swankler with picks to go buy on a player is not that smart and not worth it. They have enough forwards signed and in their system that if they truly want to trade someone, then that will create some needed room in the forward group. If they are wanting to buy, the smartest move is to go add the cheapest vet defender you can get.

When it comes to that aforementioned line.. once again I’ll repeat myself in saying it will be a bad sign if that line is clogging up 3rd line minutes. Why? Because that will mean Cohen, Sedore, AND Bressette are all still 4th line players and that bodes poorly for the future outlook of the team. One of those 3 should be ready for 3rd line minutes and if they have the upside, combined with their younger age, it makes zero sense to burry them in favor of older players who are essentially at the end of their development

To me, Erie should only be looking to trade Henry (or solve the OA problem) before the season. As for the forward group? I wouldn’t touch it (unless a player is demanding to move) until camp is over

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
They are not in a position to be selling off 2/3 round picks next season in what will be a shortened/impact pandemic year anyways

So the idea of packaging someone like Swankler with picks to go buy on a player is not that smart and not worth it. They have enough forwards signed and in their system that if they truly want to trade someone, then that will create some needed room in the forward group. If they are wanting to buy, the smartest move is to go add the cheapest vet defender you can get.

When it comes to that aforementioned line.. once again I’ll repeat myself in saying it will be a bad sign if that line is clogging up 3rd line minutes. Why? Because that will mean Cohen, Sedore, AND Bressette are all still 4th line players and that bodes poorly for the future outlook of the team. One of those 3 should be ready for 3rd line minutes and if they have the upside, combined with their younger age, it makes zero sense to burry them in favor of older players who are essentially at the end of their development

To me, Erie should only be looking to trade Henry (or solve the OA problem) before the season. As for the forward group? I wouldn’t touch it (unless a player is demanding to move) until camp is over

I agree from a franchise standpoint that the 3rd line has to be broken up for progression, but my take is Brown and Hartsburg, or at least Hartsburg, wants "yes men" and the talent of said players is secondary to cohesiveness. That is why I would see them packaging something up to get a higher end forward or defenseman. It could also translate into more picks, but at some point we have to go all in on a run. Stockpiling picks won't accomplish that. Assuming a shortenend season, Hartsburg has 1.5 years to get his crap together or we are probably looking at a coaching change (I hope it doesn't take that long). That is the reason I could see them trying to acquire more top end talent. There is no big picture in our current path unless the next 1.5 years are at the very least top half finishes.

I don't think that mentality flies at this level, the cohesiveness before talent, but on paper at least it appears to be the direction of the organization until it falls flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->