Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think it is safe to say Dave Brown is going to be here for a while now...good or bad!
I think it’s good. Overall he gets it. I question a few decisions but I thought he handled the 2015-16 and 2016-17 title runs beautifully. He knew the pieces they needed to win while also knowing they were not good enough the year prior. They could certainly do much worse (aka Bassin at the end)

Drafting has been very good since he joined the staff about a decade ago. Their last two offseasons and recent player signings have been very good. Though I still am upset about the import situation the last few years.. You can’t blame Brown for not trying. He admitted that they will continue to take risks in the import because it’s a chance to add elite talent that you otherwise can’t get. I also give him tons of credit on the development of the Pittsburgh Pens Elite program pipeline.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I think it’s good. Overall he gets it. I question a few decisions but I thought he handled the 2015-16 and 2016-17 title runs beautifully. He knew the pieces they needed to win while also knowing they were not good enough the year prior. They could certainly do much worse (aka Bassin at the end)

Drafting has been very good since he joined the staff about a decade ago. Their last two offseasons and recent player signings have been very good. Though I still am upset about the import situation the last few years.. You can’t blame Brown for not trying. He admitted that they will continue to take risks in the import because it’s a chance to add elite talent that you otherwise can’t get. I also give him tons of credit on the development of the Pittsburgh Pens Elite program pipeline.

It is easy to get carried away with the bumps in the road...

Lodnia, Singer, Sopa (now it looks bad), Cajka leaving, no imports last season...

However, like you pointed out he has a vision and the vision is pretty clear. Draft a core of solid commits whom we develop and maybe some are really good pieces, swing for the fences on some picks including imports, and build a solid relationship with US talent.

I am on board with that.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It is easy to get carried away with the bumps in the road...

Lodnia, Singer, Sopa (now it looks bad), Cajka leaving, no imports last season...

However, like you pointed out he has a vision and the vision is pretty clear. Draft a core of solid commits whom we develop and maybe some are really good pieces, swing for the fences on some picks including imports, and build a solid relationship with US talent.

I am on board with that.
Don’t make Lodnia and Singer too different things :laugh: that’s the same trade!

He’s been the main GM in charge now for 5 years. The Lodnia trade and the import situation are my biggest issues (Sopa trade would probably be my 3rd issue)

But when you look at the main positives:
- OHL championship (his additions that year were basically flawless)
- Signed US players/college commits
- Continued success in late rounds of the OHL draft
- Dedication to the goalie position (much needed approach)

I think he’s done a good job. Currently my grade for him is a B
Let’s see if we have a season and sign some imports, because then I’ll move his grade closer to a B+ or A-

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Don’t make Lodnia and Singer too different things :laugh: that’s the same trade!

He’s been the main GM in charge now for 5 years. The Lodnia trade and the import situation are my biggest issues (Sopa trade would probably be my 3rd issue)

But when you look at the main positives:
- OHL championship (his additions that year were basically flawless)
- Signed US players/college commits
- Continued success in late rounds of the OHL draft
- Dedication to the goalie position (much needed approach)

I think he’s done a good job. Currently my grade for him is a B
Let’s see if we have a season and sign some imports, because then I’ll move his grade closer to a B+ or A-

I was merely trying to stir it up giving how much you loathe the Loadnia trade and how Singer was the icing on the cake for possibly the biggest bust deal in OHL history.

Hahahaha

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for posting NOA, Nolan Lalonde seems like a great young man, just the kind of character that Brown preaches about. Hopefully he develops well, the highest pick they've spent on a goalie since Lawr, and that didn't go as planned.

I'm happy to see that Brown has been re-signed for 5 years. We've hammered him pretty hard for bungling the Lodnia trade and the import situation but the reality is, they wouldn't have been a very good team the last 3 year either way. When you go for it 4 years in a row, they are going to be repercussions, unless you're someone like London who gets elite talent with later picks and then deals excess assets for early draft picks. Brown handled the title season very well and the team continues to draft very well overall. This 0ff-season has been superb if they hit these import picks and I think we should all be confident with the direction this team is heading.

J Simmons

Feb 11, 2018
Heard there was a news crew at the Sports Park today, doing something about the gym there. Logical to assume it may have something to do with a certain Otter?

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Heard there was a news crew at the Sports Park today, doing something about the gym there. Logical to assume it may have something to do with a certain Otter?

Very well could have been, but that place is packed! Between lacrosse, soccer, hockey, volleyball, and basketball tournaments could have been for anything.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Please go vote so we have a legit roster and not just “fan favorites”

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Please go vote so we have a legit roster and not just “fan favorites”

I know this is just for fun (Yes I know so don’t remind me) but going to be a little silly looking when they release the results and we see guys like

Nick Betz, Kyle Pettit, Troy Donnay, and Chad Yetman on the list ... (all players who currently are following on about 10-20% of voter lists). And putting Connor Crisp as a goalie? Lame. Again it’s supposed to be fun I get that.. but can it also be a bit of realistic way to honor “the best of the best” ??

Meanwhile guys love Steve Nimigon, Colin Pepperall, Geoff Platt, and Ryan O’Marra are likely not going to make it ..

Some fans are going off too much recency bias. Should just be labaled the “Fan Favorite” vote when presented. Erie should have made this a bit more realistic by only offering up 100 names to be voted on among skaters.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I know this is just for fun (Yes I know so don’t remind me) but going to be a little silly looking when they release the results and we see guys like

Nick Betz, Kyle Pettit, Troy Donnay, and Chad Yetman on the list ... (all players who currently are following on about 10-20% of voter lists). And putting Connor Crisp as a goalie? Lame. Again it’s supposed to be fun I get that.. but can it also be a bit of realistic way to honor “the best of the best” ??

Meanwhile guys love Steve Nimigon, Colin Pepperall, Geoff Platt, and Ryan O’Marra are likely not going to make it ..

Some fans are going off too much recency bias. Should just be labaled the “Fan Favorite” vote when presented. Erie should have made this a bit more realistic by only offering up 100 names to be voted on among skaters.

Happens all the time, the recency bias you speak of. Plus, how many kids (teenage kids too) based on how cute a player was, etc hahaha

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Just for some quarantine reading, I decided to put a list together of all the players Erie missed out on drafting from 2014-2020 due to their championship runs.

Note that these are all players that were selected in the same round/pick that Erie originally held the rights to before trading. Also I may have missed a few or got the wrong names on some selections but the list should be darn close to accurate

2014:
Cole Candella (2nd)

2015:
Kirill Maksimov (2nd)
Macaulay Carson (2nd)
Fedor Gordeev (3rd)
Hudson Wilson (3rd)
Quinton Hughes (3rd)
Kris Lalonde (6th)

2016:
Billy Moskal (2nd)
DJ King (2nd)
Ryan Bangs (3rd)
Jackson Doherty (3rd)

2017:
Igor Chibrikov (2nd)
Cameron Supryka (3rd)
Liam Fedak (10th)

2018:
Josh Barnes (2nd)
Will Cranley (2nd)
Alec Belanger (3rd)
Dawson McKinney (4th)
Mitchell Smith (5th)

2019:
Ryan Del Monte (2nd)

2020:
Kocha Delic (2nd)

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Just for some quarantine reading, I decided to put a list together of all the players Erie missed out on drafting from 2014-2020 due to their championship runs.

Note that these are all players that were selected in the same round/pick that Erie originally held the rights to before trading. Also I may have missed a few or got the wrong names on some selections but the list should be darn close to accurate

2014:
Cole Candella (2nd)

2015:
Kirill Maksimov (2nd)
Macaulay Carson (2nd)
Fedor Gordeev (3rd)
Hudson Wilson (3rd)
Quinton Hughes (3rd)
Kris Lalonde (6th)

2016:
Billy Moskal (2nd)
DJ King (2nd)
Ryan Bangs (3rd)
Jackson Doherty (3rd)

2017:
Igor Chibrikov (2nd)
Cameron Supryka (3rd)
Liam Fedak (10th)

2018:
Josh Barnes (2nd)
Will Cranley (2nd)
Alec Belanger (3rd)
Dawson McKinney (4th)
Mitchell Smith (5th)

2019:
Ryan Del Monte (2nd)

2020:
Kocha Delic (2nd)

So many 2nd and 3rd round picks...but it was worth it!

Reactions: NOA and 7D442

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
So many 2nd and 3rd round picks...but it was worth it!
Definitely worth it! Puts into perspective though how many assets they really lost when you look at some of the names picked by other teams with their selections

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
From that list, there may be a handful of guys that may have made a serious impact with Erie. List is very underwhelming.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
From that list, there may be a handful of guys that may have made a serious impact with Erie. List is very underwhelming.
Those are the exact picks used by OTHER teams and doesn’t account for players Erie “could have” drafted..

But mannn you always find a way to be deb downer

Gordeev, Candella, Cranley?

I’m sure Erie could have used the help. A good chunk of those players would have beat out guys that were on the rosters the last few years. But please keep being negative

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Sorry, but I said "serious impact" and did support a handful of players listed. How is someone's opinion different from yours always a Deb Downer??

I didn't realize we all had to be positive on this forum. I provide positive posts and negative posts. Last 2 yrs the team has underachieved, I guess its because everything in Erie Land is positive. JUST MY OPINION

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
No indication any games will be played in the states "sigh"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200805-161757_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200805-161757_Twitter.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 5

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
No indication any games will be played in the states "sigh"
??

the current plan is to have the US teams play in the US.

whether or not it can happen or governments allow it is a different story. But the plan will be for Erie to play in Erie. The US teams want zero part of relocating to Canada for the year, as I suspected

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Sorry, but I said "serious impact" and did support a handful of players listed. How is someone's opinion different from yours always a Deb Downer??

I didn't realize we all had to be positive on this forum. I provide positive posts and negative posts. Last 2 yrs the team has underachieved, I guess its because everything in Erie Land is positive. JUST MY OPINION
I am one of the more negative posters on this thread... Mata can confirm that :laugh:

I thought the list was just for an interesting look and provides a bit more than just saying they lost out on X amount of picks. Some of those names became really solid/good OHL players. A few others became good depth players. It doesn’t account for Erie also trading players like Neumann and McShane but regardless, their high end trades mostly involved 2nd/3rd round picks. Which if you follow the OHL, you’ll realize that only a small percentage (maybe 10-20%??) of those players actually become “stars” or even high caliber players. Most become solid players or simply depth pieces. Point being .. that list is actually pretty good by OHL standards when picking in those rounds. And obviously Erie would not have selected those same players with those same picks

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I’m actually disappointed if we don’t get a season. The year we FINALLY get season tickets that are paid in full already, for no hockey. We first need it to be safe to get back into the EIA and that means everyone doing their part to slow the spread. I’m willing to wait until the day comes that we can go to these activities again, but it’s still disappointing if Canadian teams can play and we’re stuck on the outside looking in. We could do better.

We’ve had so many months to get this virus under control and we’ve seen very, very little signs of improvement. The virus needs to be taken more seriously here in the states for us to get any sort of freedom or leisure activities back (high school and college sports included).

Has anyone heard anything regarding season ticket holders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad