Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If this holds up...

Our offense is going to be crazy competitive for roster spots.

Yeti, Golod, Folwer, Swankler, Lockhart, Marat are all locks for top 6 barring injury.

Saganiuk coming means he is likely assured a top 9.

D'Amato, Sellan, Cohen, Hoffman, Ross, Bressette and company will really have to elevate their game. It opens up a bunch of trade possibilities, especially with the OA situation being far from done.

On Defense I have to say the top 4, barring trade are

Duff/Drysdale
Morton/Sova

And the 3rd pairing being 100% up for grabs.

Goalie

We have to assume Campbell/Kolosov...

However it could get really interesting should Kulakov decide to report.

I feel there is trade value to get the missing pieces this season in defense and in the net in any scenario. This season (if it happens, I am hearing January 2021 to start) could serve as a launching pad into a run the following season, ironically the last season for the coaching staff right now.

Players are going to have to step up, improve, and earn their ice. I think it’s safe to say the less competitive teams the last few years had guys getting complacent. Felt like nobody could really “replace” them and standards of talent were lower. Nobody really has their spot “locked” up now. Talent is much better

Golod / Yetman / Khusnutdinov would be the only 3 that you can say that about.

Everyone else must earn it. Then from there you have to factor in age and top level potential. But this should push everyone if/when a season starts.

Defensively it’s the same situation. Duff and Drysdale the only locks to get top minutes. Everyone else has to earn it. Same think in net with Campbell and Kolosov.

If we see some 2019 picks emerge, it should give Erie the flexibility to ship out some players which means stock piling mid round picks (which I’m good with as Erie actually knows how to draft).

BOOYA

Mar 10, 2013
With the additions this off season up front would it make more sense to keep Henry as the 3rd OA and trade one of Golod or Yetman? I would think the assets in return would be much better and it also gives you a known commodity as a 2nd pair D behind Drysdale and Duff.

Reactions: 7D442

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
With the additions this off season up front would it make more sense to keep Henry as the 3rd OA and trade one of Golod or Yetman? I would think the assets in return would be much better and it also gives you a known commodity as a 2nd pair D behind Drysdale and Duff.
Personally I don’t think it makes the team better. Golod or Yetman probably don’t fetch you as much as Mak did in 2019 (2 seconds and Swankler). Yes, Henry would get you much less but I think it would be easier to find a 4/5 defender than finding a PPG top 6 forward who isn’t an OA.

Golod had better even strength numbers than Tyson Foerster. He really jumped his game and I think is seriously capable of an 85-90pt season especially if Erie can have a more effect PP.

Yetman was 8th in goals scored. He had more even strength goals than Kaliyev. Overall, he was tied 4th for even strength goals. You won’t find that on the open market for what you would receive to trade. Meaning you might get 2/3 high picks for him but you can’t replace him with those picks for a 4th year guy with those numbers

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If Erie wanted to entertain a trade of Golod or Yetman I guess it makes more sense to trade Golod. But I still feel he’s the more pure skilled guy and more likely to breakout even more (has a higher ceiling). Yetman on the other hand just seems like a guy willing to do anything to get better and win.

I like Henry but he takes a ton of penalties and is a lesser version of Duff.

I would prefer that Erie seperate a Drysdale and Duff. Especially for early in the year. Maybe Duff can help bring Morton along. Meanwhile trade for a veteran to pair with Drysdale or hope that Gillard made a full recovery

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
If Erie wanted to entertain a trade of Golod or Yetman I guess it makes more sense to trade Golod. But I still feel he’s the more pure skilled guy and more likely to breakout even more (has a higher ceiling). Yetman on the other hand just seems like a guy willing to do anything to get better and win.

I like Henry but he takes a ton of penalties and is a lesser version of Duff.

I would prefer that Erie seperate a Drysdale and Duff. Especially for early in the year. Maybe Duff can help bring Morton along. Meanwhile trade for a veteran to pair with Drysdale or hope that Gillard made a full recovery

I would be more open to seeing Duff/Sova and Dryadale/Morton.

Henry at best is still only a 3/4 on defense at best whereas Yeti/Golod would be a top line just about anywhere in the league.

Unless a returning player like Lockhart would make some sort of leap of faith to put up 70 - 80 points (Unlikely), Yeti and Golod are just too valuable.

The only way I could see them dealing Yeti or Golod or both is if this year is NOT the year and Dave Brown aims to go all in next year but how do you explain that to the fans after 3 sub par years?

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I would be more open to seeing Duff/Sova and Dryadale/Morton.

Henry at best is still only a 3/4 on defense at best whereas Yeti/Golod would be a top line just about anywhere in the league.

Unless a returning player like Lockhart would make some sort of leap of faith to put up 70 - 80 points (Unlikely), Yeti and Golod are just too valuable.

The only way I could see them dealing Yeti or Golod or both is if this year is NOT the year and Dave Brown aims to go all in next year but how do you explain that to the fans after 3 sub par years?
I think the only way it makes sense is like if you said, some younger guys (namely Lockhart) really step up their game. Then I think the idea would be to trade Golod or Yeti for some high picks. Don’t make any moves to buy on any player. Just ride out the rest of what you got

In that scenario I could still see them being a solid/good team. While also benefiting their future assets. Their highest ceiling though is keeping both Golod and Yeti. But it’s not totally far fetched if certain young guys step up their game

Reactions: Mata

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I would rather see them go with Yetman/Golod/Duff as the OA group unless two things happen: 1. They have a difficult time finding an '01 dman to trade for 2. Someone else besides Lockhart looks ready for top 6 playing time. If Khushnutdinov signs, the top 6 of him, Golod/Yetman/Swankler/Fowler/Lockhart looks pretty clear to me. I could maybe see someone like D'Amato or Hoffmann being ready, or perhaps Saganiuk if he transitions faster than we think. But forwards generally drive the bus in hockey, especially in the OHL, so I'd rather see the stacked forward group and figure things out from there.

I could see Sova getting some 2nd pairing minutes by the end of the season but he shouldn't start there. If they aren't signing Kulakov (unlikely if Kolosov and Khushnutdinov are both willing to report), they need either Gillard/Kischnick to step up, or trade for an '01 dman capable of playing on the 2nd pair.

Reactions: Mata and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Thanks EON for basically finding the words I couldn’t think of

“Forwards drive the game”

Both in trades and in winning championships.

Last 10 titles -
Offense GF ranking
2, 5, 1, 1, 3, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1

Defense GA ranking
8, 3, 2, 1, 1, 4, 3, 2, 6, 5

You need a top 5 offense to win. Goalies to me are the bigger story too when it comes to overall defense.

I just think Golod/Yetman cannot really be replaced with the assets we have. You would have to find a 4th year player that is an 80pt guy? Goodluck.. Those are usually NHL drafted guys and will cost 4 high end picks. Henry can be replaced.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think much like offense, they have the bodies on defense. Beyond Duff and Drysdale, you have a bunch of unknowns though

Morton
Gillard
Kyrou
Kischnick
Sova
Murphy?

Erie just needs 1 of these guys to prove capable of 3/4 minutes. Then they can fill out the other in a trade if need be. At the very least they are all pretty much capable of 3rd pairing minutes (or at least young guys with good upside)

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I think much like offense, they have the bodies on defense. Beyond Duff and Drysdale, you have a bunch of unknowns though

Morton
Gillard
Kyrou
Kischnick
Sova
Murphy?

Erie just needs 1 of these guys to prove capable of 3/4 minutes. Then they can fill out the other in a trade if need be. At the very least they are all pretty much capable of 3rd pairing minutes (or at least young guys with good upside)

Kish and Kyrou would likely be at best 3rd line. I do love Kish for his motor and his team spirit, 2 things you can't coach. That being said, unless he jumps a lot, I just can't see them keeping him around unless desperate. That leaves Kyrou and Gillard, maybe Murphy. Kyrou and Gillard in my mind being the most capable of a solid year.

I really think their best bet to solidify the back would be a trade. Kyrou and Murphy NEED a veteran talent or they will get walked on. Morton may be able to survive as the more consistent defender if he builds off last season. I feel his progression was slow to start, but built faster as the season progressed.

That being said...I would agree at face value with you guys at this point the "coaches line" (Hoff/Sellan/D'Amato/Cohen) appears to be fractured and at least some of that puzzle is gone to make way for younger talent.

The OA situation, while I think we are in agreement pretty much across the board with Yeti/Golod/Duff still has me uneasy. I feel like with the covid season possibly being shortened, dealing them may actually not be off the table entirely. That doesn't mean I think we would keep Henry or Murphy though. I think they may believe their best shot is the season after this and even though we think the OA situation appears pretty solid, why keep their best trade value for a half season.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this roster develops prior to and coming out of camp, assuming we have a season. I believe it will be here in some regard if Marat and Kolosov are in fact reporting. Why fly half way around the world for no season at all?

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
admittedly last year As far as our team and roster and winning % -would not have been the best for Marat to have been here in hindsight

with the current roster having another year Of growth under there belt /OA situation / and all the high end signings and potential of the team - this year could be a great year ..

Having the potential number one Defensive draft Pick will attract scouts and eyes and press - which could only be a plus for the team as well as high end talent like Marat to be seen ..

im not so sure about losing Henry though - you prob won’t get much in the way of a trade for him and then turn around and give away more than needed in a trade on a guy who is already here , Isnt really a liability and has decent size/ and can fight .. Could he be a 2nd line D pairing ?? /I honestly don’t know..A fireside chat w him to stop untimely penalties and STUPID penalties could go a long way ..

Not sure you can throw Sova out there to the wolves that early and young on the 2nd pairing anyways .

Trade 1 of the other 2 OA’s for a player -2 seconds and a 3rd .. just a thought worth considering

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Kish and Kyrou would likely be at best 3rd line. I do love Kish for his motor and his team spirit, 2 things you can't coach. That being said, unless he jumps a lot, I just can't see them keeping him around unless desperate. That leaves Kyrou and Gillard, maybe Murphy. Kyrou and Gillard in my mind being the most capable of a solid year.

I really think their best bet to solidify the back would be a trade. Kyrou and Murphy NEED a veteran talent or they will get walked on. Morton may be able to survive as the more consistent defender if he builds off last season. I feel his progression was slow to start, but built faster as the season progressed.

That being said...I would agree at face value with you guys at this point the "coaches line" (Hoff/Sellan/D'Amato/Cohen) appears to be fractured and at least some of that puzzle is gone to make way for younger talent.

The OA situation, while I think we are in agreement pretty much across the board with Yeti/Golod/Duff still has me uneasy. I feel like with the covid season possibly being shortened, dealing them may actually not be off the table entirely. That doesn't mean I think we would keep Henry or Murphy though. I think they may believe their best shot is the season after this and even though we think the OA situation appears pretty solid, why keep their best trade value for a half season.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this roster develops prior to and coming out of camp, assuming we have a season. I believe it will be here in some regard if Marat and Kolosov are in fact reporting. Why fly half way around the world for no season at all?
My thoughts when listing those defenders was that just 1(!) needs to be ready for 3/4 role. The other spot would likely have to be filled by a trade for a veteran body. Or Erie will certainly have to split up Drysdale and Duff and just hope they can get by.

Only makes sense to add though if the team is actually trying to be competitive for a decent playoff run. Otherwise ride the young guys.

I do agree that COVID makes things tough. If it becomes a 34 game season, does that benefit Erie?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
admittedly last year As far as our team and roster and winning % -would not have been the best for Marat to have been here in hindsight

with the current roster having another year Of growth under there belt /OA situation / and all the high end signings and potential of the team - this year could be a great year ..

Having the potential number one Defensive draft Pick will attract scouts and eyes and press - which could only be a plus for the team as well as high end talent like Marat to be seen ..

im not so sure about losing Henry though - you prob won’t get much in the way of a trade for him and then turn around and give away more than needed in a trade on a guy who is already here , Isnt really a liability and has decent size/ and can fight .. Could he be a 2nd line D pairing ?? /I honestly don’t know..A fireside chat w him to stop untimely penalties and STUPID penalties could go a long way ..

Not sure you can throw Sova out there to the wolves that early and young on the 2nd pairing anyways .

Trade 1 of the other 2 OA’s for a player -2 seconds and a 3rd .. just a thought worth considering
Kyle Maksimovich went for 2 seconds and the rights to Swankler. Mak was an experienced captain and playoff guy.

Warren Foegele went for a 3rd and Brett Neumann. Foegele was an NHL pick

Aaron Luchuk went for 2 seconds and 1 third plus Curtis Douglas. He was a goal a game guy and Mem Cup winner

I just don’t think Golod or Yetman would get that value. Especially because prior to this past year, they were barely known in the league. Maybe if they got off to a great start but Erie can’t hold 4 OAs for more than a few weeks

At most you could get 2 seconds. Maybe a nice 4/5 round pick too.

I’m 100% on board with that if Brown is staying the course and focused on 1/2 years from now. But at that point shouldn’t they be looking to move a bigger fish like Drysdale?

Golod or Yetman provide you more wins over someone like Henry. They also will be vastly underpaid in open market due to OA tag. Henry you could theoretically replace in house or through a trade of mid round picks

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
My thoughts when listing those defenders was that just 1(!) needs to be ready for 3/4 role. The other spot would likely have to be filled by a trade for a veteran body. Or Erie will certainly have to split up Drysdale and Duff and just hope they can get by.

Only makes sense to add though if the team is actually trying to be competitive for a decent playoff run. Otherwise ride the young guys.

I do agree that COVID makes things tough. If it becomes a 34 game season, does that benefit Erie?

Kish has played there, though not consistently. Ideally I think given his injury history we need to really hope that Kyrou, with limited experience, makes a huge jump. Murphy and Gillard most likely aren't comfortable for at least 1/3 - 1/2 the season. Given it is likely a shortenend one...

I think it makes both the case to move OA's we don't expect and fill with the best possible trade and/or draft stock for the year or two. Why would they keep Duff, Golod, and/or Yeti if this year is both shortenend and also to test the waters with a deeper run next season when all 3 are gone? To me it only makes sense if they think they have a team that can run deep this season AND be better next year when they are gone. Replacing the firepower of Yeti/Golod in 1 season will be no easy task unless Fowler, Swankler, and Lockhart really grow and stay healthy.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Kish has played there, though not consistently. Ideally I think given his injury history we need to really hope that Kyrou, with limited experience, makes a huge jump. Murphy and Gillard most likely aren't comfortable for at least 1/3 - 1/2 the season. Given it is likely a shortenend one...

I think it makes both the case to move OA's we don't expect and fill with the best possible trade and/or draft stock for the year or two. Why would they keep Duff, Golod, and/or Yeti if this year is both shortenend and also to test the waters with a deeper run next season when all 3 are gone? To me it only makes sense if they think they have a team that can run deep this season AND be better next year when they are gone. Replacing the firepower of Yeti/Golod in 1 season will be no easy task unless Fowler, Swankler, and Lockhart really grow and stay healthy.
Best case scenario this year means losing Yeti, Golod, Drysdale, Khusnutdinov, Duff, and at least 2/3 of the 2000s that provide depth (such as DAmato, Hoffmann).

So I’m not sure if they are better in 2021.. my quick answer is they won’t be. They will be young across the board and will lose all their best, most talented players from this season. If you want to say the goal is to make a push for 2022, fine. I can get on board with that

But if that’s the case trade someone like Drysdale who will get 4-6 high picks and a stud young player. Golod or Yetman will have some value but not much more than 2 high picks

Also, if a shortened season you could argue their value would be less. Teams could be less likely to make many moves. Maybe if anything more likely to sell off as this year will be “wasted” revenue to have a top team when limited fans will be at games and it will likely be a shorter season so less home games. It’s not ideal to have a top team next year from a revenue standpoint either. So could be a huge buyers market - furthing dropping the price of OAs.

Last edited:

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Our D is the weaker of the two sides here anyways.. Don’t move Drysdale. You’d make Swiss cheese out of the cheese we already have back there. And you want him to always be part of the organization for who he is and his game and all the positives about the kid ..

If Swankler and Fowler return and we get Marat ..move one of Golod/ Yetman. ..Golod could possibly have even more of an upside this year so keep him and Yetman may fetch more based in his production and award at years end..

Don’t over pay this year for Hunter / Lujanaisse / Golden type players .. you have one in Henry - retain him and use him on the 3rd line .. it’s the 2nd D pairing I’m most worried about ..

Making smart moves this year w out overpaying ( as we have done in recent years) and getting a player and pics for an OA is the name of the game of this possible shortened season to come ..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Our D is the weaker of the two sides here anyways.. Don’t move Drysdale. You’d make Swiss cheese out of the cheese we already have back there. And you want him to always be part of the organization for who he is and his game and all the positives about the kid ..

If Swankler and Fowler return and we get Marat ..move one of Golod/ Yetman. ..Golod could possibly have even more of an upside this year so keep him and Yetman may fetch more based in his production and award at years end..

Don’t over pay this year for Hunter / Lujanaisse / Golden type players .. you have one in Henry - retain him and use him on the 3rd line .. it’s the 2nd D pairing I’m most worried about ..

Making smart moves this year w out overpaying ( as we have done in recent years) and getting a player and pics for an OA is the name of the game of this possible shortened season to come ..

The only reason I said the Drysdale thing is because by keeping Henry and trading Golod or Yetman, you significantly reduce your chance of making a title run (though it’s more realistically about a conference title run). So at that point, why keep Drysdale if you are going to be a 5/6 seed?
Even with Fowler / Swankler having a huge leap and Marat providing huge upside, you are still left with 2 big question marks on offense in the top 6 (if you lose one of those OAs)

The strength of their team will be their offense and depth. By keeping Henry you make the defense a bit better but your offense now moves back a step.

The goalies could and should be stronger. You have a great 1/2 defensive punch. You should have good 5/6 defenders. Imo you can add “cheap” to bring in a veteran to mesh with whoever else is ready for a 3/4 role.

The offense isn’t going to be as strong if you lose an 80-85pt player. Also hurts the PP which must improve

Henry is replaceable and can be done cheaper.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Obviously though COVID changes everything. If the season is significantly reduced then that changes everything. At that point I would look to see the market on moving a few pieces. Unfortunately I think that with a shorter season, the market becomes a buyers market

There will be more teams who will punt on next season if it’s shortened. As a result Golod or Yetman could go for even less

I guess my mindset is that there are numerous factors. The most logical and likely is to move Henry. This could change though if say Henry has a good offseason but yet the highest offer is a “4th and a 7th.” Personally I don’t think Henry is more than a 4/5 guy though and will never be more than that.
Maybe he does improve though and another team calls on Golod and says “I’ll give you a 2nd and two 3rds.” That said, the reverse could easily happen and someone could say “I’ll give you two 3rds” for Golod. That’s far too low. I understand he is an OA but I’m not selling him for that. Brown should not do it if it means getting robbed

J Simmons

Feb 11, 2018
I think Morton is primed for a good year, seriously....
I watched the kid the whole year and he vastly improved from his seemingly “Bambi” legs performances at the beginning of the year to making safe and smart plays and getting deserved ice time...
Another thing I think is being overlooked is the potential value and offensive outburst that COULD (keyword) happen next year.
Take a line like Yetman-Golod-Fowler...
All three have played together for 2.5+ years, all three are experienced OHL players, all three are more than capable of getting above a ppg average throughout the course of a season, Yetman’s a goal scorer, Fowler and Golod passers...

For hypotheticals sake Swankler-Marat-Lockhart
All three are on the rise as 1st or 2nd year players in the OHL, Marat coming out of a draft year and Lockhart heading into one. You give Lockhart and Swankler a good second season and already built-up chemistry from last year, and you give Marat that first year “euro-magic” and that’s a solid second line, very possibly above ppg...

then the “Erie famous” lineup of D’amato-Hoffmann-Sellan
They’ve played as a line for more or less 2 seasons, it’s a known fact if you look at their media that they workout together, they were consistently matched up against top lines and players of teams Erie played against. I took stats and the worst +/- stat for that line overall this year was -1 in a blowout loss... not saying they’re shattering barriers with goals but they’ve proven then can shutdown a line, proof being two games against sarnia (a known offensive team) in which only one of their top 5 scorers on that team got a point between the two games... imagine the experience that comes with playing against top lines for a year, and the possible improvement afterwards??? Imagine a 40-50 point season from a line that’s a SHUTDOWN line... Potential is there...

4th lines are entirely unpredictable at this rate, but in my belief I think Cohen is due for a 25-30+ point season considering he’s developed accordingly..

However I’ll leave it as an open question for response, what do you guys believe our Defence NEEDS (I.e. player type, size, age, offensive/defensive capability)

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think Morton is primed for a good year, seriously....
I watched the kid the whole year and he vastly improved from his seemingly “Bambi” legs performances at the beginning of the year to making safe and smart plays and getting deserved ice time...
Another thing I think is being overlooked is the potential value and offensive outburst that COULD (keyword) happen next year.
Take a line like Yetman-Golod-Fowler...
All three have played together for 2.5+ years, all three are experienced OHL players, all three are more than capable of getting above a ppg average throughout the course of a season, Yetman’s a goal scorer, Fowler and Golod passers...

For hypotheticals sake Swankler-Marat-Lockhart
All three are on the rise as 1st or 2nd year players in the OHL, Marat coming out of a draft year and Lockhart heading into one. You give Lockhart and Swankler a good second season and already built-up chemistry from last year, and you give Marat that first year “euro-magic” and that’s a solid second line, very possibly above ppg...

then the “Erie famous” lineup of D’amato-Hoffmann-Sellan
They’ve played as a line for more or less 2 seasons, it’s a known fact if you look at their media that they workout together, they were consistently matched up against top lines and players of teams Erie played against. I took stats and the worst +/- stat for that line overall this year was -1 in a blowout loss... not saying they’re shattering barriers with goals but they’ve proven then can shutdown a line, proof being two games against sarnia (a known offensive team) in which only one of their top 5 scorers on that team got a point between the two games... imagine the experience that comes with playing against top lines for a year, and the possible improvement afterwards??? Imagine a 40-50 point season from a line that’s a SHUTDOWN line... Potential is there...

4th lines are entirely unpredictable at this rate, but in my belief I think Cohen is due for a 25-30+ point season considering he’s developed accordingly..

However I’ll leave it as an open question for response, what do you guys believe our Defence NEEDS (I.e. player type, size, age, offensive/defensive capability)
The only problem with your line predictions is Saganiuk not mentioned in the top 9. That would be a mistake and Erie didn’t sign him from the USNDT to bury him. He’s going to get ice

Hoff/Dan/Sellan - yes it generated from chemistry and they worked well together. But part of their highlight season was being on a 26 win team. You add talents like Saganiuk / Marat and Lockhart in his 2nd year and that line can’t still be a line. It makes no sense to keep them all together. Sure, keeping 2 of the 3 together makes sense but if they are “that good” they will adjust with another linemates.

Futher, adding actual scoring skills like Saganiuk could catapult someone like DAmato or Hoffmann to being over 45/50pts. But the same 3 guys as last year? They are not going to all generate those types of numbers

I also continue to say that Saganiuk is literally a better version of Sellan. Smaller kid that will out work you and fight for the puck. Saganiuk is a fine replacement and will probably fit in nicely with DAmato and Hoffmann

Imagine though, Dave Brown trying to create a roster but bases it off the idea that they MUST keep those 3 together. Let’s not act like it’s Marner / Dvorak / Tkachuk. I’m tired of hearing about them..
I personally think Hoffmann and DAmato have a high ceiling offensively but they need some more pure skill to play with

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well said NOA. I think those players certainly deserve a chance to stick together, it has the potential to be a fantastic 3rd line and the guys clearly have chemistry. But it will be hard to do with the talent the team is adding.

There are just too many question marks for us as fans right now. It's fun to project and talk about this stuff in the off-season, especially with Erie having a pretty good off-season thus far. But development isn't always linear and we don't really know who's going to show up playing the best in camp. For all we know, someone like Sproule, Sedore, or Cohen could show up in camp in fantastic shape and earn a spot in top 9. Maybe Saganiuk will be ready for top 6 time right away, it's too early to say. The upside here is that Erie looks to be in a position, especially if Khushnutdinov comes over, where they have an excess of forward talent and there is going to be a real fight for playing time. This is a problem they haven't had in a few seasons and it's definitely a good one to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOA and 7D442

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
There are no doubt numerous factors that could sway a bunch of things, including the OA situation.

Maybe Henry comes back and looks prime for a big jump. Certainly his value will still be lower because of what teams will see on film. So in that scenario maybe it does make sense to trade an OA forward? Given Henry’s value will be lower than what he developed to? Especially if a player like Cohen comes in with momentum

It will all depend on the development of basically every single player. We have seen guys like Maksimovich, McKegg, Luciani, Cazzola, Hodgman, etc have HUGE second year leaps. Conversely we have seen guys like Harper, Lodnia, T. Fox, Palmieri, etc stall a bit after early success/expectations

We just don’t know yet. It’s going to be huge though for guys like Lockhart, Saganiuk, Cohen, Sedore, Bressette this year in the forward group. They all need to show a bit of improvement and for Erie’s sake, hopefully 2/3 really take that 2nd year leap and show more. In terms of the older crowd, the hope is that Fowler and Swankler can join Golod and Yetman and finally put their game together for a big 19-20 year old season

J Simmons

Feb 11, 2018
The only problem with your line predictions is Saganiuk not mentioned in the top 9. That would be a mistake and Erie didn’t sign him from the USNDT to bury him. He’s going to get ice

Hoff/Dan/Sellan - yes it generated from chemistry and they worked well together. But part of their highlight season was being on a 26 win team. You add talents like Saganiuk / Marat and Lockhart in his 2nd year and that line can’t still be a line. It makes no sense to keep them all together. Sure, keeping 2 of the 3 together makes sense but if they are “that good” they will adjust with another linemates.

Futher, adding actual scoring skills like Saganiuk could catapult someone like DAmato or Hoffmann to being over 45/50pts. But the same 3 guys as last year? They are not going to all generate those types of numbers

I also continue to say that Saganiuk is literally a better version of Sellan. Smaller kid that will out work you and fight for the puck. Saganiuk is a fine replacement and will probably fit in nicely with DAmato and Hoffmann

Imagine though, Dave Brown trying to create a roster but bases it off the idea that they MUST keep those 3 together. Let’s not act like it’s Marner / Dvorak / Tkachuk. I’m tired of hearing about them..
I personally think Hoffmann and DAmato have a high ceiling offensively but they need some more pure skill to play with
I understand the thought behind Saganiuk not being in the top 9 being a waste of talent, I partially believe from previous posts that Swankler may be on the way out of Erie, slotting Saganiuk in that line, or possibly moving those first two lines around could easily solve that. Along with the negative thought that Marat has not OFFICIALLY signed with us, no one can truly predict the roster. However based on info I’d say that’s a good rough slotting of how the lineup would be...

also I did take into account chemistry... we all know well how random the lineups could be at points this year and I only saw one consistent line being played and that was Hoff-Damato-Sellan. Regardless I will be surprised if that line doesn’t change if we bring in a surplus of talent. Even if it doesn’t however, Hoffmann and Sellan were both regarded as some of the top defensive forwards and players on their team this past year. (Advanced stats had Hoffmann at #1 in most categories and sellan close behind him).

the most anticipated player I believe this year will be Marat. His coming to Erie is a catalyst for change throughout the lineup. He was the captain for U-17 (u-18?) Russia and it shows in his play style. Allowing us to have reliable 2-way centres in our first three lines is a HUGE development that shouldn’t be overlooked..

Say what you want defensively about this team, whether it’s underdeveloped and young, in the OHL Defence is not as valued overall as a lineup matter... not saying it’s ideal but I figure with trades we’ll definitely have some depth and reliability in the back end which will spur on some continued success in the coming years...

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I understand the thought behind Saganiuk not being in the top 9 being a waste of talent, I partially believe from previous posts that Swankler may be on the way out of Erie, slotting Saganiuk in that line, or possibly moving those first two lines around could easily solve that. Along with the negative thought that Marat has not OFFICIALLY signed with us, no one can truly predict the roster. However based on info I’d say that’s a good rough slotting of how the lineup would be...

also I did take into account chemistry... we all know well how random the lineups could be at points this year and I only saw one consistent line being played and that was Hoff-Damato-Sellan. Regardless I will be surprised if that line doesn’t change if we bring in a surplus of talent. Even if it doesn’t however, Hoffmann and Sellan were both regarded as some of the top defensive forwards and players on their team this past year. (Advanced stats had Hoffmann at #1 in most categories and sellan close behind him).

the most anticipated player I believe this year will be Marat. His coming to Erie is a catalyst for change throughout the lineup. He was the captain for U-17 (u-18?) Russia and it shows in his play style. Allowing us to have reliable 2-way centres in our first three lines is a HUGE development that shouldn’t be overlooked..

Say what you want defensively about this team, whether it’s underdeveloped and young, in the OHL Defence is not as valued overall as a lineup matter... not saying it’s ideal but I figure with trades we’ll definitely have some depth and reliability in the back end which will spur on some continued success in the coming years...
I totally get what you are saying with chemistry. I’m just trying to be realistic about the added talent too

If they end up trading someone from the top 6, that changes the outlook. But in terms of chemistry, it’s not that hard to develop it with others too. If you are a good player you will adjust to different linemates. For all we know, it could be a good thing for 1/2 of those guys to be mixed with a more pure talent like Saganiuk

Are we suggesting they trade someone (i.e. Swankler) just to keep that line together? Because I personally think Erie can make a bit of a push to a top 4 conference finish. I will not feel that way though if they ship out a top 6 forward in part to keep their “big 3” together

It’s a joke really. I get the love for them but they are not going to swing momentum to a 40 win type season because we kept them together. That shift will happen because of players like Swankler/Fowler and Lockhart being way more productive and Saganiuk and Khusnutdinov adding fresh top skill.

I remember T. Raddysh/ Strome / DeBrincat had tremendous chemistry in 2017. Yet it benefited them greatly when they split Taylor to the 2nd line and moved Foegele up with Cat/Strome.

You have to be willing to adapt as a coach, especially when new talent comes to your roster.

If Hartsburg is so in love with those 3 that he won’t buckle on moving them off a line, boyyyyy we are in bigger trouble going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->