Erie Otters 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
London did it with Max Jones, most recent example that came to mind.

Also, re: your earlier post hockeypops, I don't think anyone here is condemning Cajka for (potentially) going back to Switzerland. Maybe he's simply more comfortable there, he's probably making more money. I have absolutely 0 problem with a player doing what is best for him, just tell the team you're feeling that way.

The potential upside here is they had at least 2/3 depth guys probably needing to be moved. Possibly both MacDougall and Singer are kept now. MacDougall did look pretty good with Erie down the stretch (19 P in 29 GP) and Singer could get an OA bump, he's a good shooter.

Golod-Swankler-Fowler
Sproule-Yetman-Singer
MacDougall-Lockhart-Hoffman
Sellan-Gritz-D'Amato
Sedore/Cohen

Mack traded/released

Still a good top 9, but missing an import certainly hurts. We'll see how it plays out over the next month or so going into training camp. They gotta land some big time talent to contend in 2020/2021 though (Khushnutdinov, Saganiuk, another import, etc.)

Last edited:

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
upload_2019-7-3_16-55-42.png

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
How often does one pry a player from the USNTDP after only one year?

EON cited Jones as a recent example. Another is Ryan MacInnis with Kitchener. Stranges left before he ever actually played a game. So it does happen.

The fact is that Saganiuk is not ncaa committed, erie drafted him high, and he has lived/played in Pittsburgh (so in our backyard) the last few years tells me that we have had communication with him since at least 2018.. possibly since 2017. Imo Dave Brown and Saganiuk know what the plan is. He also has relationships with Gritz, Campbell, and Swankler. I’m not saying he’s a guarantee to sign by next year but I would say that it’s more likely he does that than never sign at all. I think eventually he ends up in Erie. Just a question of when. Potentially he has limited ice time on a stacked USDT or he dominates too much and looks for a new challenge in his draft year.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Every time we take a step forward we then get this type of news. Just disappointing. This team and the fans deserve better. This announcement is devastating. Likely means we have no import on the roster (unacceptable) and the 15th pick last year in Cajka was essentially a wasted pick as well.

I said about a year ago that this team was going to need to hit on their high Import picks AND sign away some college commits or land a FA. They simply don’t have the assets elsewhere (lack of 2nd/3rd round picks since 2014) to be competitive near the top of the league. And so far we have failed epically with the import draft.

15th overall pick .. 1 year of decent production from Cajka and before he gets good, he leaves.
8th overall pick ... possible no show

That’s unacceptable and can’t happen and will 100% cost this team this year. I’m losing interest as a fan..

Leo Minem

Feb 4, 2019
Honestly, despite this happening, I'm not worried as of right now. Obviously losing Cajka was a step backward, but I don't think it is too large of a loss. We still have a deep defense with a star-caliber Drysdale and having almost every defenceman on the team with 2-4 years of experience. We still have Campbell coming up to play 50/50 with Murphy, which could be a huge acquisition. We acquired one of the better 01 players in the USHL and he was arguably snubbed from being drafted, and as such, we can probably expect a breakout season from him. We have a young, developing, team that is full of steals in the drafts, minus the import. We took Hoffmann from the college route and from what I've heard he's been developing very well over the offseason, the same can be said for Sellan who played penalty kill consistently quite a lot for a first-year player. Fowler coming back from injury into his draft year can only yield good things, he's going to be a top player, the same can be said for the improving Golod, Sproule, and Yetman. We also just grabbed Lockhart from a rebuild draft and he, from what we've seen, promises improvement and success. I don't blame Brown for Cajka as that is simply bad timing on Cajka's behalf and Brown not being able to get Khusnutdinov being a demerit.

I see the lines, around main camp, to be something like:

Fowler- Yetman- Golod
Sproule- Swankler- Hoffmann
Macdougall- Lockhart- Singer
Sellan- Mack- D'amato
Cohen/Sedore

Drysdale-Henry
Duff-Martin
Golden-Gillard
Kischnick/ Signed prospect

Murphy
Campbell

Reactions: Animal House

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Honestly, despite this happening, I'm not worried as of right now. Obviously losing Cajka was a step backward, but I don't think it is too large of a loss. We still have a deep defense with a star-caliber Drysdale and having almost every defenceman on the team with 2-4 years of experience. We still have Campbell coming up to play 50/50 with Murphy, which could be a huge acquisition. We acquired one of the better 01 players in the USHL and he was arguably snubbed from being drafted, and as such, we can probably expect a breakout season from him. We have a young, developing, team that is full of steals in the drafts, minus the import. We took Hoffmann from the college route and from what I've heard he's been developing very well over the offseason, the same can be said for Sellan who played penalty kill consistently quite a lot for a first-year player. Fowler coming back from injury into his draft year can only yield good things, he's going to be a top player, the same can be said for the improving Golod, Sproule, and Yetman. We also just grabbed Lockhart from a rebuild draft and he, from what we've seen, promises improvement and success. I don't blame Brown for Cajka as that is simply bad timing on Cajka's behalf and Brown not being able to get Khusnutdinov being a demerit.

I see the lines, around main camp, to be something like:

Fowler- Yetman- Golod
Sproule- Swankler- Hoffmann
Macdougall- Lockhart- Singer
Sellan- Mack- D'amato
Cohen/Sedore

Drysdale-Henry
Duff-Martin
Golden-Gillard
Kischnick/ Signed prospect

Murphy
Campbell

Agree with everything except Mack making the team as 2000 , 4th liner. Gritz/MacDougall are both better than him.. at least they were at the end of this past season. So if we are keeping 2, 2000 born between them, it should be those 2. I also feel the same about golden. If he is not a top 4 guy.. don’t keep him as 3rd pairing guy (not worth losing a draft pick for that)

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Latest reports from Erie News reporter are that Dave Brown said Cajka is still signed and has not informed team that he is leaving. In fact, Brown expects him back for this year

What the heck is going on...

That statement provided by Mark Scheig was from Petr Cajka. So I will believe it to be true. But this is a weird situation.

Either his mind is still not made up. Thus the team doesn’t know/didn’t know (in which case.. badddd look for Cajka)

Or he never really considered leaving and somehow Scheig is in the wrong with being provided false info (in which case Scheig looks badddd)

Or Brown is just lying (in which case Brown looks badddd) but this also makes no sense. Just give a no comment or say we are working on resolving issue. But Brown literally said “what are you talking about? He’s playing for us still..”

I have no idea what is happening..

I’m sure Dave Brown has to be upset right now. Cajka either told the team nothing of his pending leave or false information is being leaked

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Very strange situation, I trust in Mark's credibility and he likely got those comments directly from Cajka. Brown and the team are probably just covering themselves right now while they try to work it out with the player.

Whiffing on the #8 pick is Brown's mistake, you should vet that more carefully and make sure your player is coming (though I will give them some credit for taking a swing on a high end '20 NHL draft eligible guy) but this situation isn't his fault at all.

I hope one of these players work out - either Cajka stays with Erie or Khushnutdinov reports, would certainly give Erie some solid center depth. They should be okay either way though with Swankler-Yetman-Lockhart-Gritz down the middle.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Very strange situation, I trust in Mark's credibility and he likely got those comments directly from Cajka. Brown and the team are probably just covering themselves right now while they try to work it out with the player.

Whiffing on the #8 pick is Brown's mistake, you should vet that more carefully and make sure your player is coming (though I will give them some credit for taking a swing on a high end '20 NHL draft eligible guy) but this situation isn't his fault at all.

I hope one of these players work out - either Cajka stays with Erie or Khushnutdinov reports, would certainly give Erie some solid center depth. They should be okay either way though with Swankler-Yetman-Lockhart-Gritz down the middle.

Weird though for brown to add the part about Cajka not telling the team. Why lie about that part if you are Brown. He could have said the rest.. “we expect him back” and it would have been a safe thing to say. I agree that I trust Scheig but it’s a weird situation right now

It is important to have Cajka back though. I honestly expected him to be in line for a breakout year. When you consider talent and experience, he is a top 5 forward on the team imo.. so it’s a big deal if he leaves or stays. Khusnutdinov has bigger potential but we can’t rule out the possibility of him showing up in 2020-21 after being NHL drafted. And if so, the pick of him would still be worth it

Reactions: Dakotawarmth

Dakotawarmth

Jan 20, 2018
Been awfully quiet on here.
Thoughts on who stays / who’s new / who’s looking for a spot elsewhere?
Way to quiet

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Been awfully quiet on here.
Thoughts on who stays / who’s new / who’s looking for a spot elsewhere?
Way to quiet

Forward group

Golod / Swankler / Fowler
Sproule / Yetman / Hoffman
MacDougall / Lockhart / Singer

Imo that is the top 9 if Cajka is indeed gone.

Cohen and Sedore are also locks to make the team given their age and in Cohen’s case, the high praise that he has been given since signing

That brings Erie to 11 forwards (without Cajka). Mack/Gritz/DAmato/Sellan the remaining players that are really fighting for spots. No chance that both Mack/Gritz will be here unless they are both about to take a big leap in production. In the end, only one of DAmato/Sellan probably stay with the team past the first few weeks/month of the year

If Cajka somehow is still here, then that opens the door for someone like Singer to be traded. Or Golod/Yetman could also be moved given their age and Erie looking ahead at 2021 roster (can’t keep all these 2000s)

Defensively should be easier

Drysdale / Martin / Duff
Henry / Beamish / Gillard / Kischnick

That to me should be their 7 guys. Cut bait with Golden (no need to waste the conditional 3rd round pick on him). Connor Olsen, Ethan Ritchie, and other 2018/2019 names could surprise at camp. And if that happens then we start the year with 8 and eventually cut the weakest link or trade someone.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Just was an unfortunate turn of events .. Did not expect to lose Cajka ( and esp for the reason of not being drafted this year) and secondly to lose a very sound player in the import draft at the number 8 spot ..

BUT we should be vastly improved w the 3 big additions this year AND have a healthy Golod , Fowler , and Beamish .. These 6 will make a huge impact this year and I hope we can make it in the PO ‘s at a 6- 7 spot ...

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Just was an unfortunate turn of events .. Did not expect to lose Cajka ( and esp for the reason of not being drafted this year) and secondly to lose a very sound player in the import draft at the number 8 spot ..

BUT we should be vastly improved w the 3 big additions this year AND have a healthy Golod , Fowler , and Beamish .. These 6 will make a huge impact this year and I hope we can make it in the PO ‘s at a 6- 7 spot ...

For Cajka, it’s extremely odd to leave because of getting nhl exposure. The exact reason to stay would be to still hold out hope for 2020 draft exposure.
Add to that the timing of it all, AFTER the import draft. It doesn’t make any sense. Maybe Dave Brown still plans on working things out with Cajka before camp opens up

It’s upsetting because now with Swankler in the fold, this team had a chance to be sneaky good IF Cajka and Khusnutdinov were here. They would have had extreme forward depth which would have allowed them to sell off some for assets. To have no imports would be awful considering the expectation that we would have had 2 on the roster..
I don’t mind the khusnutdinov situation. Sure, it sucks because you expect to land a top player there. But, Brown took a risk on a young player. I didn’t want a guy that was already nhl drafted and I didn’t want us reaching on a lesser talented player. Also, MK could still show up in 2020 (depending on the nhl team that drafts him). Worst case, we take a crack in the top 20 again next year and still push for MK to sign next offseason

But Cajka is the key one. Experienced import coming back with scoring ability and motivation. It pushes guys on the depth chart too. If Erie had him on the roster, I would say a 6/7 seed is not only realistic but should be definite expectation

DrummondIsGod

Mar 16, 2011
When a high end 17 year old import comes over and does not get drafted by an NHL team, I don't blame the player for choosing a different route the following season. Erie needs to take a look in the mirror and figure out why their guys aren't getting drafted.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
When a high end 17 year old import comes over and does not get drafted by an NHL team, I don't blame the player for choosing a different route the following season. Erie needs to take a look in the mirror and figure out why their guys aren't getting drafted.

lol this guy ^^^

Easy for a primarily London poster to say when they get meh guys drafted all the time or guys drafted wayyy higher than they should be just because of the logo

First off.. Cajka was not a high end guy out the gate. I think his initial ranking for most scouts was in the 80-100 range. Essentially a mid round pick. Few had him higher but others also didn’t have him ranked..

Secondly, his draft stock was pretty solid all season long and by the end of it he was around the 150 spot, indicating a 5th round draft pick. He didn’t get picked. Other guys with worse rankings did and other guys with similar rankings did.
I read a few things from scouts or fans across the NHL that were surprised Cajka was not drafted. Much like Swankler.. he probably should have been...

Erie develops their players as good as any team In the OHL and in many ways, better than most..
Connor Brown, Darren Raddysh are just 2 late round OHL picks by Erie (guys that nobody believed in and who Erie worked with) that ended up drafted or signing a FA pro contract.

This is not on Erie to look in the mirror.. Cajka was a good player that didn’t get drafted. It happens. He was afforded every opportunity and would be given more chance for exposure in 2019-20 with Drysdale/Fowler drawing in plenty of scouts

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
lol this guy ^^^

Easy for a primarily London poster to say when they get meh guys drafted all the time or guys drafted wayyy higher than they should be just because of the logo

First off.. Cajka was not a high end guy out the gate. I think his initial ranking for most scouts was in the 80-100 range. Essentially a mid round pick. Few had him higher but others also didn’t have him ranked..

Secondly, his draft stock was pretty solid all season long and by the end of it he was around the 150 spot, indicating a 5th round draft pick. He didn’t get picked. Other guys with worse rankings did and other guys with similar rankings did.
I read a few things from scouts or fans across the NHL that were surprised Cajka was not drafted. Much like Swankler.. he probably should have been...

Erie develops their players as good as any team In the OHL and in many ways, better than most..
Connor Brown, Darren Raddysh are just 2 late round OHL picks by Erie (guys that nobody believed in and who Erie worked with) that ended up drafted or signing a FA pro contract.

This is not on Erie to look in the mirror.. Cajka was a good player that didn’t get drafted. It happens. He was afforded every opportunity and would be given more chance for exposure in 2019-20 with Drysdale/Fowler drawing in plenty of scouts

i totally understand why a kid who goes undrafted decided to go back home and get paid. timing sucks for the otters, but for all anyone knows the offer didn't come until after the draft.

i dont really think cajka owed anyone anything, lets be fair, theres no loyalty in sports. you guys liked battaglia until he struggled, then you wanted him cut. thats not offside, just how the game and business works, every fan base is like that. he saw an opportunity and took it, good on him. sucks for timing but not sure he totally could control that.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
i totally understand why a kid who goes undrafted decided to go back home and get paid. timing sucks for the otters, but for all anyone knows the offer didn't come until after the draft.

i dont really think cajka owed anyone anything, lets be fair, theres no loyalty in sports. you guys liked battaglia until he struggled, then you wanted him cut. thats not offside, just how the game and business works, every fan base is like that. he saw an opportunity and took it, good on him. sucks for timing but not sure he totally could control that.
Well at the very least he could have gave the team more of a heads up..
This is where Erie gets a bit unlucky. Most other imports in this situation still return to junior. Look at Gera for instance. We happen to get the one guy with this type of mindset and attitude on the situation and he hails..

Instead we go into the 2019-20 season with no imports on roster

This is also on Dave Brown too though for allowing it. Put two imports on this team and we probably have a chance to be a good 5/6 seed team. Instead, we might be closer to a 8/9 seed yet again.. and like I continue to say again and again, that is going to be devastating for this franchise.

Imo this year is crucial for the reputation of our franchise. A bottom team yet again is not acceptable. We were the last 2 years but after the 4 year run, that was expected. Now it’s time to start being competitive again. Unfortunately with no imports on the roster, that will be extremely difficult to achieve..

Once again, even when things seem to be going right (Swankler/Campbell sign) we just are left being one of the more unlucky teams and things return back to reality. 2 steps forward, 2 steps back type of thing.
We had great offseason signings and yet those are basically just barely making up for the guys we couldn’t sign/retain.. meaning our improvement, which could have been tremendous, is now limited

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Well at the very least he could have gave the team more of a heads up..
This is where Erie gets a bit unlucky. Most other imports in this situation still return to junior. Look at Gera for instance. We happen to get the one guy with this type of mindset and attitude on the situation and he hails..

Instead we go into the 2019-20 season with no imports on roster

how do you know he didnt? sorry im not trying to be argumentative, just dont know what came out about it.

and im pretty sure there are 15 or so teams that would love to have brown at the helm, hes a top gm, sometimes things just dont go according to plan.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
how do you know he didnt? sorry im not trying to be argumentative, just dont know what came out about it.

and im pretty sure there are 15 or so teams that would love to have brown at the helm, hes a top gm, sometimes things just dont go according to plan.

Considering the team didn’t draft 2 imports and then Dave Brown said about 2 weeks ago that the team was not (at that point in time) informed of his decision to leave, then yes they were not prepared for him to leave. Also add to it that Cajka basically said the reason was a reaction to not getting nhl drafted. Thus, he didn’t even start to consider in until the week of the import draft.

If the team knew before the draft that Cajka was gone and he told them he was not interested and couldn’t be convinced otherwise, you think we just pass on another Import pick? No chance. They would have drafted another player if they had been prepared to..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Haven't seen many Otters game but the few I have-- do we think that Murphy can be the go to man and #1 goalie??

His problem is consistency. When on his game, he’s pretty solid. But needs to be more consistent and so does the defense in front of him.
Campbell should push Murphy more than every other guy has in the past. If Campbell is near his hype/potential then Murphy will have to earn time and play more consistent or will easily lose the net. Bottom line: they aren’t getting rid of Campbell this year. So if the goaltending is an issue, Murphy will be the one they ship out of here. Hopefully he’s a bit more consistent with an older/better team. If so, then yes I think he is an average starter that is capable of 40-42 games

Reactions: MajorJuniorFan98

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Haven't seen many Otters game but the few I have-- do we think that Murphy can be the go to man and #1 goalie??

I agree with Ottersguy. Without question the team defense needs to improve but when on his game Murphy is solid. Problem with that is he is not always on his game and does lack some consistency. I have not seen Campbell play but from what I read would expect him to start about 25 games this season which puts Murphy at about 40 starts.

Reactions: MajorJuniorFan98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad