Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
They're likely replacing him because of the name and they just did the video and joke video to try and make it funny. Not really that big of a deal, I'm sure the new mascot "Otto" will be fine as long as the person inside the suit makes it fun.

In on ice news, two important games this weekend, very winnable matchups against Hamilton and Guelph. They need to bank points early when the schedule is a bit easier.

Reactions: NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Thoughts on players tonight?

With the news on Gritz, assuming Golod is healthy you think Gritz sees any ice this weekend?

Wouldn't mind seeing Campbell get the start as he has already faced Hamilton.

Outside of that I can't even begin to speculate on lines because they have been tossed around so much.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Gritz has officially been waived

No shock here, it was only a matter of time. The team was dealing with injuries to start the year so needed him more but as they get healthy, there just is no room on the roster for him.

wish him the best but these are the types of decisions the team has to make

I expect Murphy to get the start tonight. Campbell tomorrow

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Another day, another new lineup :laugh:

Hartsburg is obsessed with zero consistency

93-29-61
17-21-77
14-13-44
74-73-91

Murphy gets the start

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
At a loss... (no pun intended)

Offense lacked any creativity and consistency as the 8th variation of offense in 8 games showed up.

Defense has been a little more solidified and consistent, though at least 2 of the 4 goals could be blamed on poor turnovers.

Campbell has Murphy in his crosshairs. He didn't play awful, but he wasn't great.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Offense lacked any creativity and consistency as the 8th variation of offense in 8 games showed up.

Defense has been a little more solidified and consistent, though at least 2 of the 4 goals could be blamed on poor turnovers.

Campbell has Murphy in his crosshairs. He didn't play awful, but he wasn't great.

it was Murphy’s first “bad game” of the season. So I won’t blame him.

the coaching is a joke though. The lineups are changing every night and never seem to make much sense. And the inconsistency is evident

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018

Seems that there is zero chemistry as the lines keep changing.
Something needs to give

Reactions: Mata

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Sad to see Gritz go but it's the right decision. Glad he's found a place to play.

Campbell is going to be the starter by Christmas.

My patience for Hartsburg is just about gone and I hope Brown's is too.

Jeff Smith

Oct 8, 2019
Sad to see Gritz go but it's the right decision. Glad he's found a place to play.

Campbell is going to be the starter by Christmas.

My patience for Hartsburg is just about gone and I hope Brown's is too.

After my sons 10u tournament wraps up tomorrow I’ll be heading over to watch Gritzy play his first game for his new team.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Fowler-Yetman-Sproule
Sellan-Swankler-Golod
D'Amato-Lockhart-Singer
Sedore-Hoffman-Cohen

Duff-Drysdale
Henry-Golden
Morton-Beamish

Campbell

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Another game .. another roulette style of lines

Hartsburg is a joke. At this point, I just want us to keep losing so we can fire him. You can not when a championship with this type of coach. Doesn’t even understand the basic idea of chemistry but then wonders why his offense is inconsistent.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Before I forget...

Mad props to the kid who sang the anthems before the game. I haven't heard the crowd that fired up all season; hopefully sets the tone for the game.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Here’s my take:

Swankler and Golod seem to work well together

Yetman and Fowler are too talented to not have in the top 6 so should also be paired together

That is what I have taken from the first 9 games of the season. Those 4 are the best forwards and everybody can see it. They ALL need to be in the top 6 every single night. Period.

Now, in my view of it, Sproule (though inconsistent and hasn’t really hit his potential) does have ability there and should also be a top 6 player. He’s looked much better when he’s with top talent but isn’t good enough to run a line on his own

That leaves, in no particular order, D’Amato, Hoffmann, and Singer as the next 3 most talented forwards. Those 3 all need to be in the top 9.

That is 8 forwards that all should be top 6 or top 9 for us EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. That’s of course if we expect to have any sort of consistent offense

The remaining forward in the top 9 is a “take your pick”
I expect it to be MacDougall when he returns but Cohen has shown the ability as well. And Lockhart hopefully gets that ice by middle of the season

Seems pretty easy to make these decisions based off our talent and where we are as a team. So I’m not sure why Hartsburg can’t seem to make any sense with the lines. Either he picks from a hat every single night or has ZERO patience and expects these guys to dominate every night - because if not he demotes them to the 4th line. We can’t afford to have guys like Fowler playing on the 3rd line or Singer on the 4th in favor of Sellan. Simply can’t afford that..

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Here’s my take:

Swankler and Golod seem to work well together

Yetman and Fowler are too talented to not have in the top 6 so should also be paired together

That is what I have taken from the first 9 games of the season. Those 4 are the best forwards and everybody can see it. They ALL need to be in the top 6 every single night. Period.

Now, in my view of it, Sproule (though inconsistent and hasn’t really hit his potential) does have ability there and should also be a top 6 player. He’s looked much better when he’s with top talent but isn’t good enough to run a line on his own

That leaves, in no particular order, D’Amato, Hoffmann, and Singer as the next 3 most talented forwards. Those 3 all need to be in the top 9.

That is 8 forwards that all should be top 6 or top 9 for us EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. That’s of course if we expect to have any sort of consistent offense

The remaining forward in the top 9 is a “take your pick”
I expect it to be MacDougall when he returns but Cohen has shown the ability as well. And Lockhart hopefully gets that ice by middle of the season

Seems pretty easy to make these decisions based off our talent and where we are as a team. So I’m not sure why Hartsburg can’t seem to make any sense with the lines. Either he picks from a hat every single night or has ZERO patience and expects these guys to dominate every night - because if not he demotes them to the 4th line. We can’t afford to have guys like Fowler playing on the 3rd line or Singer on the 4th in favor of Sellan. Simply can’t afford that..

Take on Lockhart? I feel like right now since he, Swankler, and Campbell were the big off season additions, coach may be playing him higher as to not bruise his ego/confidence in his first year.

Campbell and Swankler definitely have made the transition faster, but are also older.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Take on Lockhart? I feel like right now since he, Swankler, and Campbell were the big off season additions, coach may be playing him higher as to not bruise his ego/confidence in his first year.

Campbell and Swankler definitely have made the transition faster, but are also older.

Lockhart has been bounced around as much as anyone which is not good for the rookie. He already has to adjust to the league as a young guy but Hartsburg makes it tougher by giving him new linemates every game

I would play him on the 4th line for now. By December/January he should be more comfortable to slowly get into more 3rd line minutes

Swankler is older, so yes his adjustment is much easier coming from the USHL. Campbell is a goalie. His only role is stopping the puck. Yes an adjustment to better players but he’s a very talented goalie that to this point the team (surprisingly) has done a great job of easing into the role. I agree with EON though, that by mid season Campbell should start to slowly become the starter. If he keeps playing like this, it would be a real benefit to give him around 35 games this year

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I feel like Connor could benefit from working with Hoffman early for that consistency if they played him, say 50/50 center/wing. Hoff is a workhorse and his size would allow Lockhart to work the ice with his agility, playmaking, and speed, as well as grow into the player we hope he becomes. Asking him to run a line right now may be a lot to take on. See who fits best, Cohen or Sedore on that line.

Something like:

Fowler, Yetman, Sproule
Singer, Swankler, Golod
Cohen, D'Amato, Sedore/Sellan
Hoffman, Lockhart, Sellan/Cohen/Sedore

Line 1 and 2 is interchangeable and as Lockhart grows move him into that solid 3rd line center.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Nice job Dave getting conditions on the Lodnia trade just to be safe if he returned

worst trade of all time by Erie - got robbed when they needed assets the most

also, lodnia is at fault to. His selfish attitude contributed so I guess this is karma - back in juniors as an OA after being a 3rd round NHL pick - yikes

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
MacDougall will be back this weekend, he should slot into the top 9 and hopefully improve the 5v5 scoring a bit. He was sneaky pretty good post treadline with Erie. I hope they rotate Sedore/Cohen/Sellan (with 13 healthy forwards now) and give Hoffmann regular playing time. Hoffmann hasn't had a very strong start but I think he has the most to give Erie out of those 4 guys and just needs to figure things out a bit. I don't know what Hartsburg will do since things have been a bit wacky lately, but I'd go:

Golod-Swankler-Singer
Sproule-Yetman-Fowler
MacDougall-D'Amato-Hoffmann
Sedore/Sellan-Lockhart-Cohen/Sellan

Golod/Swankler paired up, Yetman/Fowler paired up. The other winger on those lines could vary. I'd like to see two speedier guys with Hoffmann on the third line. Lockhart should be brought along slowly as the 4C for a while as he learns the league. I might give him PP #2 time but definitely not top unit time.

Second 3 in 3 of the season, @ NIA, @ GUE, vs. MISS. Winning 2 out of 3 would be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mata and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
^^ that’s the exact lineup I would have too EON

Which is why we won’t see it lol it makes too much sense for Hartsburg

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
2018 3rd Ryan Alexander lighting it up in the OJHL. Was he at training camp, and if so how close was he to cracking the roster?

You guys have really been drafting well. Kudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->