Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Part of the reason London and Kitchner are perpetually good teams is because they finish the seasons consistently in the top 6 and can be considered "contenders" in most seasons.

People want to come to those places for the exposure. Erie, aside from great coaching during the McDavid years, excelled at recruiting because the team was top caliber.

The longer you go as a bottom feeder the harder it is to get top commits which is why a 6th seed or higher was so important this year.
That’s something that is going to kill them this offseason

Miss the playoffs or make it as an 8th seed with 29/30 wins, only to get bounced in 4/5 games is not good enough at this stage in the rebuild. That would have been the expectation for last year

The problem is they are about a year behind schedule now. Which is only going to continue to put them behind schedule because now they have to, after 3 years of the same blah hockey team, go try to convince their 1st round pick to sign, Khustnutdinov to sign, and another import to sign. Good luck doing that

They are still very good at middle to late drafting but we need superstars to supplement that (especially with the lack of picks to trade for anything of value). I have no faith though that someone like Khustnutdinov is going to change his mind and show up here a year later when all Erie did to get better was improve by 3/4 wins and waste even more assets on Sopa. We are the same team as a year ago just older and with less assets. Congrats to Dave Brown for believing in Hartsburg though!

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Part of the reason London and Kitchner are perpetually good teams is because they finish the seasons consistently in the top 6 and can be considered "contenders" in most seasons.

People want to come to those places for the exposure. Erie, aside from great coaching during the McDavid years, excelled at recruiting because the team was top caliber.

The longer you go as a bottom feeder the harder it is to get top commits which is why a 6th seed or higher was so important this year.

Outside of Knoblauch leaving, it should also leave one scratching their head as to how those 50+ win seasons for 4 straight years only really garnered 4 years of success. I realize we lost our head coach, but didn't anyone care about the future of the team or were we just like, yeah we won 200+ games in 4 years, take that!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Outside of Knoblauch leaving, it should also leave one scratching their head as to how those 50+ win seasons for 4 straight years only really garnered 4 years of success. I realize we lost our head coach, but didn't anyone care about the future of the team or were we just like, yeah we won 200+ games in 4 years, take that!
What happened was all their players graduated after that last year. They lost their top 4 forwards (5 of their top 9), and 4 of their defensemen, including their top 2. They inevitably had to rebuild. They also only had 4 players worth much to sell off in the rebuild - Raddysh, Sambrook, Lodnia, Maksmovich

They did well on the Raddysh/Sambrook trade but due to Lodnia being an issue, couldn’t trade him in 2017-18, and when they did end up moving him.. got nothing for him
Ultimately moving Lodnia in 2017-18 for 5/6 high end picks and a young player would have a significant impact on this current team

Reactions: Mata

TDTDTD

Mar 5, 2019
So is it fair to say that this team has enough talent to finish higher in the standings? And if it is then where does the flame fall? Like every great organization, team, group that responsibility lies with leadership. And in the case of a team, that leadership of the players rests entirely on the coaching staff. It amazes me that this team is arguably one of the top 2 penalty killing teams in the league, yet is one of the two worst power-play teams in the league. And, how they can come out and play like they did on Saturday, yet turn around and not show up for a game days later or days in the past. That is all about leadership. Leading the team during the game, leading the team during practices, expecting players to be more consistent and accountable in their play. And having I means to reprimand, when they don’t. Case in point, I think Swankler had a great weekend. Four goals, aggressive play, no penalty trouble. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he was introduced to different line mates. Some players seem to be untouchable when it comes to this kind of action.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
So is it fair to say that this team has enough talent to finish higher in the standings? And if it is then where does the flame fall? Like every great organization, team, group that responsibility lies with leadership. And in the case of a team, that leadership of the players rests entirely on the coaching staff. It amazes me that this team is arguably one of the top 2 penalty killing teams in the league, yet is one of the two worst power-play teams in the league. And, how they can come out and play like they did on Saturday, yet turn around and not show up for a game days later or days in the past. That is all about leadership. Leading the team during the game, leading the team during practices, expecting players to be more consistent and accountable in their play. And having I means to reprimand, when they don’t. Case in point, I think Swankler had a great weekend. Four goals, aggressive play, no penalty trouble. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he was introduced to different line mates. Some players seem to be untouchable when it comes to this kind of action.

This team has 13 of their 22 regulation losses decided by 1-2 goals. Many of those games the ENG was the difference to make it a 2 goal affair. They also have 11 extra time losses. So of their 33 losses this year, 24 (72%) have been close games. They aren’t winning those games so clearly there are issues and questions of “why?” But I can’t blame the talent when they are competitive in many of these games. Sure, their talent mostly lacks star power but they have some good depth and should - key would SHOULD - have better chemistry given their experience as a team. Many of these guys having been here for 2/3 years now.

The only thing consistent about this team is their inconsistency

Inconsistent linemates for almost every game has shown with a lack of chemistry. Inconsistent on back to back nights. The coaching staff is at fault for that imo. They don’t have this team ready to play on a consistent basis. And like you noted, their PP is horrendous and so too is their FOW%. If this team were just middle of the pack in both of those categories and practiced the SO a bit, they might have 4-5 more wins.

Reactions: OttersFan and Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

Given our talent, many people predicted the Otters to fall somewhere between 4 and 7 seed.

GM - overall I would give Brown a B rating, maybe a C if you consider his missed import pick and questionable trade history. He has made some suspect trades, but we have the talent to succeed in the middle of the charts, he is adequately doing his job, but I wouldn't call it excelling.

Coaching - D. The kids are still having lines shuffled, the PP is abysmal, there is no discipline and I honestly believe at this point, the players lost all faith in the coaching. It is the coaches job with the players they have to create cohesiveness, motivate, and grow these kids into the next level. I feel that is severely lacking because the talent IS there and almost nothing has come together consistently.

Players - while there has been one relatively consistent line (Hoffman, Sellan, D'Amato), the OT/SO losses do fall more on the players than coaching IMO. That being said, the kids are still progressing and we have seen a lot of growth this year out of Swankler, Lockhart, Sellan, Campbell, Morton, and some of the other younger kids. Outside of the OA situation building for next year, we still have that SOLID core. They just aren't "clicking" as a team consistently to move up the ranks.

Things out of our control:

The schedule was quite brutal with the 3's
The injuries have hurt us early and now late.

Not to say they are excuses, but they do factor into the equation.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Here is to hoping the kids got better (injuries) and we can swing 2 out of 3 this weekend.

EVERY GAME COUNTS!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Here is to hoping the kids got better (injuries) and we can swing 2 out of 3 this weekend.

EVERY GAME COUNTS!
Hartsburg had a quote this week that was something along the lines of “every point matters now” and though I agree.. points are critical right now.. it’s just funny how Hartsburg has continued to say this and still says this. Seriously, man, there is 11 games left. Little late to make up major ground. Sure, they still have a chance for 7th seed but that’s it. Even that will be tough. Whereas about 2/3 weeks ago, 5/6 seed was still in play.

He also talked about how he feels the team is on the verge of more consistency, that they are starting to find themselves/getting healthy. Does he not realize it’s March??

On a positive note:
It does sound like Fowler, Sopa, and Kischnick will be playing this weekend. Hopefully that’s a confidence boost

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Hartsburg had a quote this week that was something along the lines of “every point matters now” and though I agree.. points are critical right now.. it’s just funny how Hartsburg has continued to say this and still says this. Seriously, man, there is 11 games left. Little late to make up major ground. Sure, they still have a chance for 7th seed but that’s it. Even that will be tough. Whereas about 2/3 weeks ago, 5/6 seed was still in play.

He also talked about how he feels the team is on the verge of more consistency, that they are starting to find themselves/getting healthy. Does he not realize it’s March??

On a positive note:
It does sound like Fowler, Sopa, and Kischnick will be playing this weekend. Hopefully that’s a confidence boost

He also said that instead of chasing teams this year they were going to to "sniping and on the hunt" and thus the ghillie suit for post game interviews...

I have seen maybe 2 interviews all year long with it *sigh*

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
And here is variation 82947234

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200228-191349_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200228-191349_Twitter.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 6

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
And here is variation 82947234
This coach blows..

These lines are just picked straight from a hat. It’s an ego thing with Hartsburg about trying to outthink and be overly creative

Reactions: TDTDTD

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
This coach blows..

These lines are just picked straight from a hat. It’s an ego thing with Hartsburg about trying to outthink and be overly creative
I really got nothing...

Maybe he thinks he is going to psych them out with our best line playing 3rd?

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Give up the PP goal with just under 3 minutes after Murphy was standing on his head for most of the 3rd.

Empty net to finish us off *sigh*

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Give up the PP goal with just under 3 minutes after Murphy was standing on his head for most of the 3rd.

Empty net to finish us off *sigh*
This team is probably the most frustrating team I have watched in Erie for 20+ years. Pathetic

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
At this point in this 3 year rebuild - I feel like a Wal Mart customer scanning and bagging my own groceries .. I don’t care to do it sometimes but I keep going back :huh:

see you at the game

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
IMO there seems to be some sort of inner politics /agenda associated with makeup of these lines. Injuries aside, the coaching staff have definitely been persuaded by someone(s) who have the power to influence.
Or the coach just sucks

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
D’Amato-Hoffmann-Sellan the 4th line tonight?

Who knows man...

That was a flat first period.

What about the 2 defencemen on the PP? I guess we can keep trying things for the next 10 games and hope for the best.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Totally deserved for this team to get about 500 fans the rest of the year

Nice addition of Sopa too!! Really helped turn a .500 team into a .500 team!!!! Great work, Dave!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
And Sellan on PP one...this coach has lost his damn mind.
Hahaha it’s like watching a comedy show. Their PP is 1/7...

Honestly the team should not make the playoffs. Embarrassing.

good luck having a fan base next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->