Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Dave Brown can trade away some of the 2000's for picks. Draft a few solid imports (Dman and Forward), and hopefully some of the US kids/hold outs get drafted and NHL teams persuade them to Erie. If Campbell develops in a true #1, then trade those excess picks and future picks for 19 yr old studs, and VOILA, you have a team that can compete for a championship next year. Guelph has done it in 2014 and 2018. And Guelph even got rid of Mr. Merkley (#1 2000 Overall) during championship run last year. Very much doable, just need DB to pull the right strings and a major emphasis on evaluation. JMO

Leo Minem

Feb 4, 2019
"Now think back to last year - he was producing at a pretty high level on the 1st and 2 nd lines .. "

Guys, 17 points in 64 games on 1st and 2nd lines and PP doesnt support above statement. Good first season for the kid after a year in midget. If we consider that a high level of production, then Erie has bigger problems then we know. Its a reflection of the avg players this team has and realistically only 2 top 6 forwards right now. Erie coaches and management are aware of this and want to see who will rise to the top and what they have to address in the off season to legitimately contend next year.

I think Dave Brown is a smart GM and knows exactly what he has and what he needs to accomplish goals for next year.

Hoffmann played fourth and occasional third line with no power play time MOST of the year, I watched carefully... regardless, the kid was almost a point per game after February 2nd, he had 4 points by February 1st, then he was put on the second and first line (or with better talent) and produced almost ppg, he had 13 points in 16 games... If that isn't evidence enough as to how much he's being underutilized then I know Erie has a problem. On top of that he's got 4 points in 12 on an abysmal line...

I'm not saying the kid is gonna absolutely break newspaper and news outlets and carry Erie to a Memorial Cup, just saying it's a waste of talent having THAT on the fourth line...

Also, hot take: D'amato will get 40 points this year

Reactions: 7D442

SHL

Oct 4, 2019
Frustrating to watch todays game. They need to be winning against rebuilding teams.
These new line combos are not working that great. 1st and 2nd line did not produce (other than 1 on pp). They had lots of scoring with the previous line combinations, but then they got changed a few games ago for some unknown reason. Some players need to be a lot more unselfish instead of shooting or trying to do it on their own, when they should be making a play.
Frustrating to see a team now into the 3rd year of rebuilding not doing more. I know it is early, but hopefully they can turn this around.

Reactions: Mata

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Not to mention during the shootout and two of your top players can’t even get a shot on net. It was pitiful to watch.

Something needs to change.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Hoffmann played fourth and occasional third line with no power play time MOST of the year, I watched carefully... regardless, the kid was almost a point per game after February 2nd, he had 4 points by February 1st, then he was put on the second and first line (or with better talent) and produced almost ppg, he had 13 points in 16 games... If that isn't evidence enough as to how much he's being underutilized then I know Erie has a problem. On top of that he's got 4 points in 12 on an abysmal line...

I'm not saying the kid is gonna absolutely break newspaper and news outlets and carry Erie to a Memorial Cup, just saying it's a waste of talent having THAT on the fourth line...

Also, hot take: D'amato will get 40 points this year

although I did not explain this well - this is exactly what I was referring to.. From later in the season ( Feb) through seasons end Hoffman was on the top 2 lines with more talented players ..He then had near a point per game production ..

If you looked at his overall season points production alone - it was not very impressive

thx for the clarification Leo !!

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Anyone at the game see how Kyrou played? I could only listen on the radio and didn't hear his name called much after the 1st period.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The 5v5 offense is improving and getting more consistent, the defense really needs some work though (goaltending hasn't been great the last few games either). Really sucks that Beamish went down. Kyrou seems to be playing very well in the GOJHL and he should stay there this season to get big minutes, doesn't seem like he's quite ready for this level.

There's rumors the Beamish injury is serious, which is just awful luck for both him and the team. Depending on when Kischnick returns, I think the team should seriously consider bring Ryan Martin back. I'm sure he's well liked by the group and they could do worse for a veteran 3rd pair guy that can mentor Morton.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Anyone know what Beamish's injury is? Lower body injury, but do we have a time table for return?

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191027-184248_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20191027-184248_Twitter.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 5

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Hopefully Kish returns soon, but any possible targets for a trade with Beamish likely out indefinitely and Gillard likely lost for the majority of the season as well or do you all think we keep Kyrou called up?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hopefully Kish returns soon, but any possible targets for a trade with Beamish likely out indefinitely and Gillard likely lost for the majority of the season as well or do you all think we keep Kyrou called up?

I hope they don't keep Kyrou up, he's doing well in junior B, let him keep getting big minutes there. He'll be at least a 3rd pairing guy for them next season, if not higher, depending on how well he develops and how he adjusts to this level of play.

I mentioned this already, but I would bring Martin back if they still have his rights. It would be free and I doubt they're using that 3rd OA spot anywhere else. I wouldn't want to see them waste an asset on a player that would just be a fill-in for this season because of the injuries/youth.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Beamish officially retires per Otters Twitter Account...

I hope can get and stay healthy and very unfortunate for this young man.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
We also picked up Drew Hunter for a 4th round 2021 pick from the Ice Dogs

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Absolutely absurd how many jabs Bahl could take on us and Hartsburg absent minded just stares at the ice. Defend your players!

The McDougall hit needed called and how can Sellan go for slashing when he was in the goaltenders crease face down on the ice? Hmm. Poor officiating tonight and normally I find the officials relatively fair.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
What a pretty sad display of "hockey" tonight. No passion, no fire, flat as can be. No one on the team looked like they wanted to be on the ice.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
What a pretty sad display of "hockey" tonight. No passion, no fire, flat as can be. No one on the team looked like they wanted to be on the ice.
It’s almost like they got back to Erie in the wee hours of the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad