Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Likely involved smoking marijuana. Which I’m sure most players in the league indulge in or with underage drinking

Not great but Erie has had far worse with Dane Fox and that turned out great for us. So this news means nothing to me other than losing a top 6 forward for 8 games

Nope

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Likely involved smoking marijuana. Which I’m sure most players in the league indulge in or with underage drinking

Not great but Erie has had far worse with Dane Fox and that turned out great for us. So this news means nothing to me other than losing a top 6 forward for 8 games

haven't been following OHL long enough to have a full grasp of the fox situation and can't seem to find anything about it. could you explain

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
haven't been following OHL long enough to have a full grasp of the fox situation and can't seem to find anything about it. could you explain
I won’t discuss it on hear but I’m fully aware of what happened with him during his time in Erie and some rumors of stuff that occurred during his time in London

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I won’t discuss it on hear but I’m fully aware of what happened with him during his time in Erie and some rumors of stuff that occurred during his time in London

There were issues in London.

Kids deserve a second chance and sometimes that involves a change of scenery. Wether they fully take advantage of 2nd/3rd chances. Up to them.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
There were issues in London.

Kids deserve a second chance and sometimes that involves a change of scenery. Wether they fully take advantage of 2nd/3rd chances. Up to them.
Couldn’t have said it better. And Dane worked out very well for Erie.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I saw that goerie.com had an article about Governor Tom Wolf sending some money Erie's way for improvements to the ball park, a hotel, and the EIA. It had pictures of the governor with Jim Waters, but the article did not mention anything about what the money would be used for at the EIA. Can anyone fill me in on what the money is for at the EIA?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I saw that goerie.com had an article about Governor Tom Wolf sending some money Erie's way for improvements to the ball park, a hotel, and the EIA. It had pictures of the governor with Jim Waters, but the article did not mention anything about what the money would be used for at the EIA. Can anyone fill me in on what the money is for at the EIA?
From what I have heard, the EIA and ballpark will have a new structure built. It will be on the left side of the building when you are behind home plate at UPMC Park. The building is supposedly going to include club seating for the ballpark. I don’t know what else it will include but it will also be attached to EIA.I also heard that a new main office building will be built that holds both teams. This potentially will include an official team store for both teams.
I really have no idea what other plans are in place for improvements but that seems to be the main one that’s impacting EIA

This is the grant however that both Jim Waters and the SeaWolves owner said earlier in the year that would keep them in Erie long term. Both agreed to commit to Erie for at least the next 10 years IF the city got this grant. The city just got the grant. So the big news with this is that essentially the Otters aren’t going anywhere for (At least) 10 years

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
From what I have heard, the EIA and ballpark will have a new structure built. It will be on the left side of the building when you are behind home plate at UPMC Park. The building is supposedly going to include club seating for the ballpark. I don’t know what else it will include but it will also be attached to EIA.I also heard that a new main office building will be built that holds both teams. This potentially will include an official team store for both teams.
I really have no idea what other plans are in place for improvements but that seems to be the main one that’s impacting EIA

This is the grant however that both Jim Waters and the SeaWolves owner said earlier in the year that would keep them in Erie long term. Both agreed to commit to Erie for at least the next 10 years IF the city got this grant. The city just got the grant. So the big news with this is that essentially the Otters aren’t going anywhere for (At least) 10 years

Well said, that is from my understanding what is supposed to be renovated for EIA as well.

On an unrelated note. After checking Ryan Alexander’s twitter account it doesn’t look good he will sign with Erie. Lots of ASU and St michaels buzzers talk with little to no mention of Erie.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
If possible, could someone share if Darius Vitug attends main camp. Or thoughts on spring skate if he attended?
Drafted out of Toronto jr Canadiens team in the last midget draft.
I know 90% of these kids wont get a sniff in the O, just hoped he would get an invite.

Thank you in advance

MAGA1776

Aug 16, 2018
If team opens season with the same goalies as last year, what are the odds they miss the playoffs again?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If possible, could someone share if Darius Vitug attends main camp. Or thoughts on spring skate if he attended?
Drafted out of Toronto jr Canadiens team in the last midget draft.
I know 90% of these kids wont get a sniff in the O, just hoped he would get an invite.

Thank you in advance
He was at the rookie camp in May so a good chance he’s at the main camp.

Reactions: aresknights

OU812

Sep 11, 2017
It’s my understanding he was not invited to main camp and playing will be playing 2nd yr midget again.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If team opens season with the same goalies as last year, what are the odds they miss the playoffs again?
The goalies competing for roster spots this year are:
Oberoi
Murphy
Bernard

Erie could have someone like Aidan Campbell surprise or a FA. But those are the top 3 guys for this year. Murphy i thought had some nice moments last year. He really did. The defense was shaky last year and once Martin was done for the year, it was basically a young undersized group of defenders. But I like Murphy’s potential. In February he had like a .905 or higher save percentage. Then he had a couple crap games in the last few weeks, dropping his stats. Oberoi I’m unsure with but Bernard could push him out.
If Murphy improves, and the defense (who should certainly be better) helps out more - then I see no reason why erie can’t be a 7-8 seed team.

MAGA1776

Aug 16, 2018
The goalies competing for roster spots this year are:
Oberoi
Murphy
Bernard

Erie could have someone like Aidan Campbell surprise or a FA. But those are the top 3 guys for this year. Murphy i thought had some nice moments last year. He really did. The defense was shaky last year and once Martin was done for the year, it was basically a young undersized group of defenders. But I like Murphy’s potential. In February he had like a .905 or higher save percentage. Then he had a couple crap games in the last few weeks, dropping his stats. Oberoi I’m unsure with but Bernard could push him out.
If Murphy improves, and the defense (who should certainly be better) helps out more - then I see no reason why erie can’t be a 7-8 seed team.

MAGA1776

Aug 16, 2018
Do OHL teams actively scout junior a leagues all season for goalies and invite the best unsigned ones to tryout camp or do they stick with only goalies they have already committed to develop?

Releasing at least one of last year's goalies and finding soneone with natural athelitic talent seems like a minimum requirement if the team is going to pull itself out of the basement.

I agree Murphy had number of decent games, but he didn't seem like a goalie that will ever lead the team deep into the playoffs.

Oberoi... Is tall. Our scouts like height, so there's that... As for playoff experience, not sure he ever led any team anywhere in any playoffs... But he is tall.

Haven't seen Bernard?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bernard is extremely athletic and talented, just undersized. I've been talking about him since Erie drafted him, I really hope he pushes Oberoi out and takes the backup spot. Oberoi is the biggest but Murphy and Bernard seem more talented.

Here are Bernard's stats: Jackson Bernard at eliteprospects.com

MAGA1776

Aug 16, 2018
Let's hope management and coaching make a change in net. There is no excuse for remaining a basement dweller again this season. If we fail again, it is management and coaching that is at fault.

My sense is that if we try to compete in this league with these goalies again, we will end up with the same results. Quite frankly, I doubt our best and brightest prospects will even show for camp if the choice is ASU or another year in the league basement

There were at least six+ games last year that were lost because of our weak netminding, especially Oberoi. The kid is tall, and obviously well trained, but it just seems like something fundamental is missing. Feel more or less the same about Murphy.

Im not sure about Bernard. Size matters. Is there anyone else in the pipeline?

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
MAGA1776, although I do think that our netminding was a bit suspect at times, keep in mind that we were very, very young last season, had 4 fifty win seasons in a row, have sent developed some very good players for the pros, and were more competitive that many believed they would be. I seriously doubt that our best and brightest prospects will not show up. Erie is now a destination of choice for many, ranked second by scouts, players, and coaches for being a great organization. We will be fine. As a matter of fact, I believe we will be better than anyone on here predicts.

Reactions: Drop the Puck

MAGA1776

Aug 16, 2018
Well that is certainly good to hear and I hope you are right. If we don't make any changes in net, other than "another year older", I simply cannot share your optimism. Happy to be proven wrong!

I am a fan of the "no excuses" school of hard knocks. Young, rebuild, previous great seasons don't mean anything to me. All that matters is next season.

I also believe in always blaming leadership, which in this case is scouting/management and coaching. The kids all seemed to be trying 100% last season. The question is which ones, especially which goalie(s) belong in this league. If our leadership goes into the season without a change in net, that's fine with me, as long as they make the playoffs. That to me is the bare minimum to define any sort of success. Last season was, IMHO, a complete failure.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Let's hope management and coaching make a change in net. There is no excuse for remaining a basement dweller again this season. If we fail again, it is management and coaching that is at fault.

My sense is that if we try to compete in this league with these goalies again, we will end up with the same results. Quite frankly, I doubt our best and brightest prospects will even show for camp if the choice is ASU or another year in the league basement

There were at least six+ games last year that were lost because of our weak netminding, especially Oberoi. The kid is tall, and obviously well trained, but it just seems like something fundamental is missing. Feel more or less the same about Murphy.

Im not sure about Bernard. Size matters. Is there anyone else in the pipeline?
Let’s relax right now..

Murphy is solid and at 6’1 or 6’2 he has competent size. He was a rookie last year on a young team that really didn’t possess the puck or play great defense. You should assume that he will at least improve parts of his game and along with a better team in front of him (older team) - he will be better. How much better? I don’t know. But let’s wait and see

As for Oberoi, as a 1999 I agree. Erie will be foolish to keep him on the roster if he doesn’t improve. Even if Bernard is not much better than him, at least Bernard is a 2001.
Bernard is 5’10. Yes undersized but I’ve seen Justin Nichols and Devin Williams have success as goalies of similar height. Josh Disher and Janus were good goalies Erie had that were barely 6’0. Both capable of helping a team deep into playoffs but Erie never had the rest of the talent with those teams. Don’t worry about his size too much.. this is the OHL .. not the NHL

As for others in the pipeline- nobody else signed but Aidan Campbell was just drafted this year. He might be the next guy. He’s already 6’3.. since you care a lot about height. He is probably not competing for a spot at 16 years old but maybe next year.

Look, camp hasn’t even happened yet. We don’t know who grew, who gained weight, who improved, etc etc. the goalie situation should improve if the team in front improves (which should happen since Erie is returning almost everyone and at the very least are older) and if just one of Murphy/Oberoi improves
Let’s wait and see things before claiming that management/coaching made wrong choices and caused us to be in the basement again. I wouldn’t be shocked that if Oberoi and Murphy don’t improve, that Brown goes out and finds a cheap vet goalie to help things this year and dumps one of the 2 they have. But it’s august.. let’s relax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad