Erie OHL Showcase

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Setting this up to discuss the recently announced showcase in Erie from May 31-June 13.

I have some questions as it pertains to the logistics of it. More so thoughts as no one will likely have the answer to these quite yet.

First off, how many players do they plan on having and what will be the criteria? If anyone is able to partake in this, I imagine there would be an overwhelming amount of players that want to do this. I thought if there would be anything, it might be first time eligibles for the NHL draft, but based on Andrew Perrott (01) being one of the catalysts in this event, that clearly won't be the case. Another thing I thought was that it would be for players who didn't get to play in the AHL or overseas, but once again Andrew Perrott doesn't fit that criteria. I do still assume that there won't be any players who are already NHL drafted.

They did say there will be "a lot" of people. What that means, I don't know. But if I had to guess, I think there will probably 6+ teams worth of players. Maybe more. Or maybe players will be deterred by the fact that they will be getting 2 weeks of hockey and then have to quarantine for 2 weeks afterwards upon returning to Canada. Unless you know you have a shot at getting drafted, that seems like a big commitment for 2 weeks of hockey.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Based on the shared article, it currently stands at around 8-9 teams and they still expect the number to go up.

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
I wish they could've used the Otters home rink, Erie Insurance Arena, or even the rink at Mercyhurst. The venue, Erie Bank Sports Park has a double pad but not much else. There's essentially no room for spectators and the quality of the ice is absolute garbage right now. Hopefully they melt it down and re-freeze before the tourney.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Will this be on tsn or Sportsnet ?
The league wouldn’t even broadcast Erie Otters home games when they had one of the best 4 year runs of all time (the exception being a few McDavid games during 2015 conference finals). So I doubt they will show a non-CHL event...

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
The ice is terrible at the venue. Really, really, really bad. Gigantic cracks running blue line to blue line on the one rink. Not much better on the other. Hopefully it doesn't hurt the quality of play too much.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
According to the website, they now have rosters: Schedule & Rosters — PBHH Invitational
A quick glance at the rosters shows they could use some more "D" men to sign up. Most teams only having 5. Players having very little ice all winter will have some skating on their knees by the end of the 3rd period, but if you are looking to be showcased, and you can handle the ice time this could be a good thing.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
James Hardie, & Logan Morrison seem to be leading this thing...wonder how much scouts are paying attention?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
James Hardie, & Logan Morrison seem to be leading this thing...wonder how much scouts are paying attention?

Those are 2 names that every team should have eyes all over. IMO they shouldn’t have to be here because they should already be drafted. Hardie scored 30 goals as a 17 year old and Morrison, despite some injuries over his first couple seasons, has been very consistent and is a very good all around forward. 45 points in 59 games as a 17 year old too.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

They are definitely there and watching. How much stock or weight it gets idk but it’s better than anything the OHL did for these players with their zero games and zero planning to figure out any type of live action

Reactions: EvenSteven and LDN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->