Recalled/Assigned: Ericsson recalled

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Not sure the glasses can have enough rose tint for a guy that was the last pick of the NHL draft and subsequently played 663 regular season and 76 playoff NHL games. Ericsson did everything we ever could have hoped for. No, he didn't live up to the Norris hype he got his rookie season when he was surrounded by Hall of Famers. But he did help hold down the top pairing and PK for years when our general manager failed to bring in a single upgrade over the fan favorite punching bag. Year after year nobody could beat him out for his job. The Smiths, Kindls, and others came and went. Ericsson was still there grinding it out. He fought through his hip injury and still shows up ready to compete.

You don't have an Ericsson career being a lazy idiot. He didn't have the physical gifts to coast or take nights off. This guy worked as hard as anyone and studied the defensive game. A total warrior and exactly the kind of player I wish we could have placed more frequently on the 2nd and 3rd pairing instead of asking him to hold back top units every single night.

I wouldn't say he "held it down." That was a big reason the won a single playoff series from 2012-present. And yes, obviously that falls more heavily on the coaching staff and management for not finding adequate replacements for Rafalski and Lidstrom, and failing miserably at drafting and developing defensemen for a time period that extends from Kronwall to Hronek.

And look, I've echoed a lot what you're saying here in the thread about Ericsson being waived. Ericsson was a fine bottom pairing defensemen who was overpaid, overvalued and put in a position he had no business being in. He wasn't a fighter but could hold his own just fine most of the time.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I have always liked Ericsson. I think his salary and being thrown up on top paring gave him a bum rap.

It's sad his body is breaking down, I would love for him to lift a cup before his career ends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad