Recalled/Assigned: Ericsson recalled

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I highly doubt that has anything to do with it. Theyve got McIlrath and Smith up playing right now. Anything more than that to go with Bertuzzi, Abdelkader, and Mantha to go along with a few other guys would be overkill for that.
We do not want mantha and beruzzi to fight. Abdelkader is injured.

And Getzlaugh did go after Mantha with no reason at all.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Laroque used to wrestle the guys and hug them to death, yet he was considered the best fighter in the league.
Ha. don't get me started on Laraque. If he didn't have the upperhand right from when they first grabbed one another, it immediately became a hugfest. Probably the most boring heavyweight of all time. Brashear a close second.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14ari13

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I highly doubt that has anything to do with it. Theyve got McIlrath and Smith up playing right now. Anything more than that to go with Bertuzzi, Abdelkader, and Mantha to go along with a few other guys would be overkill for that.

My post was made with some jest...

What's Ericsson gonna do? Hug him to death?

You do know that he's one of the more accomplished fighters in the league, right?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
We do not want mantha and beruzzi to fight. Abdelkader is injured.

And Getzlaugh did go after Mantha with no reason at all.

I know no one wants them to fight but they can if they need to. The point is, Ericsson didnt get called up to be a tough guy with all those guys in the line up already.

And Mantha did give Getzlaf a chop to get the melee all started after Getzlaf hit him. It wasnt for no reason but it was nice having McIlrath out there when it happened. There was a time when those idiot ducks would've started pulling a lot more shit than they did after that

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You do know that he's one of the more accomplished fighters in the league, right?
Someone in the league, can't remember who, said that BigE throws some of the hardest punches. Problem with him though is that he'll fight to protect himself but not his teammates. Not an enforcer, but he's won the vast majority of his fights for sure.

Reactions: avssuc

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I know no one wants them to fight but they can if they need to. The point is, Ericsson didnt get called up to be a tough guy with all those guys in the line up already.

And Mantha did give Getzlaf a chop to get the melee all started after Getzlaf hit him. It wasnt for no reason but it was nice having McIlrath out there when it happened. There was a time when those idiot ducks would've started pulling a lot more **** than they did after that

I did not see that. I just saw Getzlaf going crazy and slashing Mantha.
Basically we cant afford bertuzzi and Mantha to fight as they are our lone line that produces something. Getzlaf knew this.

Ha. don't get me started on Laraque. If he didn't have the upperhand right from when they first grabbed one another, it immediately became a hugfest. Probably the most boring heavyweight of all time. Brashear a close second.
Laraque was considered the toughest guy but all his fights were wrestling and boring.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Someone in the league, can't remember who, said that BigE throws some of the hardest punches. Problem with him though is that he'll fight to protect himself but not his teammates. Not an enforcer, but he's won the vast majority of his fights for sure.

I'd like to see that quote, because I don't believe it for a second.

I remember the time Ericsson fought Wayne Simmonds and Mickey Redmond said "It's embarrassing and it looks bad."

But yeah, he rag dolled Corey Perry that time. That was pretty dope. BEST FiGHTEr EVAH!

He could hold his own in most fights, but they were rare occurences, and as you stated, he's not a guy that is known for sticking up for his teammates.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'd like to see that quote, because I don't believe it for a second.

I remember the time Ericsson fought Wayne Simmonds and Mickey Redmond said "It's embarrassing and it looks bad."

But yeah, he rag dolled Corey Perry that time. That was pretty dope. BEST FiGHTEr EVAH!

He could hold his own in most fights, but they were rare occurences, and as you stated, he's not a guy that is known for sticking up for his teammates.

Nobody wins every fight, and Simmonds has way more experience fighting. BigE isn't an enforcer, just a guy that can fight when he needs to protect himself.

There's no shame in losing to Simmonds. Not many players have the balls to dance with him.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Nobody wins every fight, and Simmonds has way more experience fighting. BigE isn't an enforcer, just a guy that can fight when he needs to protect himself.

There's no shame in losing to Simmonds. Not many players have the balls to dance with him.

I'm fine with that description. Some replies were talking him up like he was some almighty fighter, which is what I took umbrage with. He's not. He was adequate, and most of that just came from the fact he was larger than the majority of people he fought. He's never been known as a fighter or a tough guy.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm fine with that description. Some replies were talking him up like he was some almighty fighter, which is what I took umbrage with. He's not. He was adequate, and most of that just came from the fact he was larger than the majority of people he fought. He's never been known as a fighter or a tough guy.

Ericsson could hang with heavyweights. He was more than adequate for a top 4 D. Yeah he lost a fight to Simmonds. But he also beat up Jamie Benn, had a really good toe to toe fight with Clowe, beat up Dorsett pretty bad etc. The guy was a legit fighter when he went and he absolutely known for being able to do it when he had to.

Watch Ryan Clowe beat up guys like Carkner, Parros, Engelland, or Boll and then watch how Ericsson did against him. Clowe was one of the toughest in the league and Ericsson went pretty good with him. Better than these guys who were considered some of the toughest in the league at a time.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Ericsson could hang with heavyweights. He was more than adequate for a top 4 D. Yeah he lost a fight to Simmonds. But he also beat up Jamie Benn, had a really good toe to toe fight with Clowe, beat up Dorsett pretty bad etc. The guy was a legit fighter when he went and he absolutely known for being able to do it when he had to.

Watch Ryan Clowe beat up guys like Carkner, Parros, Engelland, or Boll and then watch how Ericsson did against him. Clowe was one of the toughest in the league and Ericsson went pretty good with him. Better than these guys who were considered some of the toughest in the league at a time.

Would you call Andreas Lilja a legit fighter?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Before he got his bell rung by Weber Lilja was decent/could handle himself but he wasnt Ericsson for sure. Lilja could do ok against legit fighters and maybe not lose, or wrestle a guy down so he didnt lose badly. He wasnt Ericsson though like I said. Ericsson didnt fight enough to be considered a heavyweight around the league but if he fought more often he would've been a legit heavyweight. He wouldnt have been the toughest in the league but he had the ability to fight almost anyone and hold his own. Not the best heavyweight but he was that weight class

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

What is your point actually?

I am not sure, but I believe he did not have a single fight before he came to the NHL.
The punch landed on the helmet behind the ear, which makes me think he just slipped and lost his balance, it was not the punch that knocked him.

Last edited:

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle

Lilja was an unadulterated bad ass, who kept the flies off just by glancing at guys. He didn't need to fight all the time, but I don't doubt he could have ended just about anyone if he wanted to.

Ericsson never had that

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
What is your point actually?

I am not sure, but I believe he did not have a single fight before he came to the NHL.
The punch landed on the helmet behind the ear, which makes me think he just slipped and lost his balance, it was not the punch that knocked him.

There's been a bit too many posts lately looking back at Ericsson's career with some heavily rose-coloured glasses. Add the legend of his fighting prowess to the list.

Reactions: wingerdinger

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
There's been a bit too many posts lately looking back at Ericsson's career with some heavily rose-coloured glasses. Add the legend of his fighting prowess to the list.
He was never a heavyweight or enforcer, but he won about 3/4 of the fights he had, and only Simmonds really got him hard. He wasn't a fighter. He was a hockey player who could fight pretty well when he went. Only initiated when he perceived a dirty hit. Fought less and did so less effectively as he got older, partly because his body was breaking down, and he had a better chance of getting hurt. But age 27-32 the guy could more than hold his own.

You say the glasses are rose tinted. I'd say its important to recognise that he was a much better player before his hip and wrists got bust up. Of course he should never been on the top pair, but at his best he was a comfortable #4 and an excellent #5 or #6. Sadly, that hasn't been the case consistently for 4 or 5 years, but until fairly recently he was still expected to play well above where he should have been.

Reactions: Gniwder

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle

Didn't Babs not want his Dmen to fight? I recall reading that he didn't like his D bench being short with someone in the box for 5

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

The fans are always biased one way or the other.

You are right, he was never a heavyweight, he was never the tough guy the oppenets feared, he just handled himself fine.
Everyone loses some fights, unless you are laraque and can wrestle and hug all night long.

Reactions: TheClap

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Of all the things I have read about E on boards like this, looking at him with rose coloured glasses is a new one. I really dont think E gets "too much" credit.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
There's been a bit too many posts lately looking back at Ericsson's career with some heavily rose-coloured glasses.

Not sure the glasses can have enough rose tint for a guy that was the last pick of the NHL draft and subsequently played 663 regular season and 76 playoff NHL games. Ericsson did everything we ever could have hoped for. No, he didn't live up to the Norris hype he got his rookie season when he was surrounded by Hall of Famers. But he did help hold down the top pairing and PK for years when our general manager failed to bring in a single upgrade over the fan favorite punching bag. Year after year nobody could beat him out for his job. The Smiths, Kindls, and others came and went. Ericsson was still there grinding it out. He fought through his hip injury and still shows up ready to compete.

You don't have an Ericsson career being a lazy idiot. He didn't have the physical gifts to coast or take nights off. This guy worked as hard as anyone and studied the defensive game. A total warrior and exactly the kind of player I wish we could have placed more frequently on the 2nd and 3rd pairing instead of asking him to hold back top units every single night.

Reactions: Winger98 and kook10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad