Eric Staal: Would you do it all over again?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
With the power of hindsight, and considering what Florida could have gotten and how Horton failed to live up to expectations (was supposed to be right there with Staal), they misplayed their hand twice.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
With the power of hindsight, and considering what Florida could have gotten and how Horton failed to live up to expectations (was supposed to be right there with Staal), they misplayed their hand twice.

Even with the trade acquired picks, they could have racked up. They could have had either Enstrom or Byfuglien at 73, and Brown, Getzlaf, Carter, etc at #3. Hindsight is a cruel mistress!

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
led the team to a Stanley Cup

If I were a Canes fan, I would choose Staal a 100 times out of a hundred.

I can't even fathom there to be another answer to this question.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Are you assuming they keep the 1st overall? I'm talking about them picking #3 after the trade.

I don't think I'm assuming anything, I'm disagreeing with your original statement that they did well with that trade. I'm saying Staal > Horton + Meyer + Samuelsson.

Reactions: MinJaBen

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I don't think I'm assuming anything, I'm disagreeing with your original statement that they did well with that trade. I'm saying Staal > Horton + Meyer + Samuelsson.

They COULD have cashed in...the picks they got in return could have been outstanding in the whole "hindsight" scenario. That draft was super deep. Picking 3 overall wasn't a huge loss since the Pens obviously coveted Fleury. The Panthers were just poorly managed for years...and haven't developed any talent. I'm not saying Samuelson is equal to Staal, etc. But the Kitties COULD have drafted Enstrom, Carter, Getzlaf, Brown, etc. Knowing what we know now about that class, picking 3rd wouldn't be bad at all.

It's all about hindsight, since there was no way to know that class was loaded like it was. So we speculate, and say "what if?"

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Honestly, I don't think the Penguins were ever worried about not getting Fleury that year. Florida had Luongo, Carolina had Ward, Pittsburgh picked 3. After that, Columbus had Pascal Leclaire (8th overall 2001), Buffalo had an emerging Ryan Miller, San Jose had Evgeny Nabokov, Nashville had Thomas Vokoun, and Atlanta had just taken Kari Lehtonen at #2 the previous year. The first team with a real need for a goaltender was Calgary (they got Kiprusoff later the next year), and IIRC they were never really considering trading up that far. So Pittsburgh threw a little something Florida's way just to make sure that they got their guy. Florida was never in a position of strength regarding Fleury.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
Good to see no-one doubting the Staal pick even with hindsight. He sometimes has way too many haters on here.
Noone has ever doubted his skill. But there have been questions about production and effort in comparison to his peers that have similar contracts. His criticism is largely money centric. There are different expectations for players making 9 million versus the ones making 6 or 7 mil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad