Eric Staal vs. Jason Spezza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
An interesting point was brought up in a thread in Gamenight chat called "Staal scores #7 in 7" about Jason Spezza and Eric Staal being pretty comperable. Both are 6'3. Both were taken #2 overall in their respective drafts, and both are said to be playmaking centers with goal-scoring ability.

Now all hype aside, who do you consider to be the better player? Is this comparison really as close as it seems, or is the hype machine working overtime for one of them?

Who is better right now? Who was better at 18? Who will be better in the future?

I know that all we can do is speculate on the future part, but i'd really like some insightful opinions on who is going to eventually become the better player.

Your thoughts?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
well for offensive output and better numbers Spezza is the man I would take. If I was looking for a great young two way forward who has good defensive play to go along with a good offensive game then I would pick Staal. Overall I think Spezza is the better hockey player in the offensive zone and Staal better in the defensive zone. All aside I would pick Spezza for my team, Staal is great but Spezza IMO is going to be a superstar.

Sticky*

Tough to say, even though I am a huge Staal suporter, I have to go with Spezza as he is incredibly gifted offensively. I do feel though that Staal's offensive ability is underated. There is no question in my mind that Staal's offensive game is and will be leaps and bounds ahead of Horton, Vanek and Andrei (hype machine) Kastitsyn.

P.S You guys don't have to religiously follow what RLR says. People seem to think that they are THE draft source.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I really like both also (i mean who doesn't)

But I'd take Spezza as well. He's so gifted offensively, he just has a true flair for the game, it's incredible. And the reality is that his faults that were supposed to hold him back at the NHL level, have all but been erased now that he has seen NHL action. His skating really isn't that bad at all. His defensive play really isn't all that horrible.

Staal is a great player, but If im building a franchise, I take Spezza.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sticky said:
Tough to say, even though I am a huge Staal suporter, I have to go with Spezza as he is incredibly gifted offensively. I do feel though that Staal's offensive ability is underated. There is no question in my mind that Staal's offensive game is and will be leaps and bounds ahead of Horton, Vanek and Andrei (hype machine) Kastitsyn.

P.S You guys don't have to religiously follow what RLR says. People seem to think that they are THE draft source.

I have seen Kastitsyn play 3 games at the WJHC last year and I can tell you he was amazing, you really have to see this guy play then, I do agree that Staals game is going to be better than Horton and Vanek in the long run but for offensive output I would say Kastitsyn is almost like Marian Gaborik, actually they are both the same IMO Kastsitsyn has horrible defense that would make you cry but his offensive game is very explosive and exciting to watch, but his defense is like OMG is he going to come over center ice or what, but Gaborik was the same way when he was playing over seas so maybe Kastitsyn can learn defense as well. But IMO Kastitsyn offensive game was not overrated by RLR, I seen that first hand.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
In Horton's defense, you have to keep in mind that Staal played 3 years in juniors, which obviously helped his development. Not to mention the tear that Horton was on before he broke his jaw last year. Either way, I want to see both of them succeed, and it should make for some awesome rivalries in the Southeast division over the years.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
moosefan said:
I have seen Kastitsyn play 3 games at the WJHC last year and I can tell you he was amazing, you really have to see this guy play then, I do agree that Staals game is going to be better than Horton and Vanek in the long run but for offensive output I would say Kastitsyn is almost like Marian Gaborik, actually they are both the same IMO Kastsitsyn has horrible defense that would make you cry but his offensive game is very explosive and exciting to watch, but his defense is like OMG is he going to come over center ice or what, but Gaborik was the same way when he was playing over seas so maybe Kastitsyn can learn defense as well. But IMO Kastitsyn offensive game was not overrated by RLR, I seen that first hand.

I'll reserve judgement on Kastitsyn until he shows me he can play in the Russian Elite League. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he's still in the Upper League right now anyways.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Mike Komisarek said:
I'm taking the underdog Staal because i think he has an excellent well-rounded game already and his offensive potenial is underrated.

Dude, I'm watching Conan right now. I turn around, and there's your avatar of Conan with the same outfit as tonight's show. Trippy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad