Player Discussion Eric Staal (The Frickin' All-Star)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought he was absolutely brutal to watch today... if that's "better" then I'm teally glad I missed the last couple games.
I thought he got off a couple decent shots in contested circumstances. Don't really feel like picking on just him, when there are so many others who are equally as bad.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I think I know what Staal was trying to achieve yesterday. With so many NHL scouts in attendance he wanted to show them that he's not even worth a 3rd round pick. His play will ensure that he doesn't get uprooted by another deadline trade.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think I know what Staal was trying to achieve yesterday. With so many NHL scouts in attendance he wanted to show them that he's not even worth a 3rd round pick. His play will ensure that he doesn't get uprooted by another deadline trade.
Ya, but it will also ensure that he won't be offered a decent contract in FA, just like last time.
He has every incentive to play well.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I thought he got off a couple decent shots in contested circumstances. Don't really feel like picking on just him, when there are so many others who are equally as bad.
Not picking on him, but just being honest about what I saw from him based on your compliment of his game.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not picking on him, but just being honest about what I saw from him based on your compliment of his game.
no problem...he deserves plenty of criticism, but I'm sure that you'll agree that there are plenty of other deadbeats. I've been a proponent of keeping Coyle, but I'm tired of making excuses for him. Granlund looks like he's trying to kick a drug habit.

I guess i give Staal a bit of a pass because he has been SO good for us for most of the time that he has been here, way out earning his contract.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
no problem...he deserves plenty of criticism, but I'm sure that you'll agree that there are plenty of other deadbeats. I've been a proponent of keeping Coyle, but I'm tired of making excuses for him. Granlund looks like he's trying to kick a drug habit.

I guess i give Staal a bit of a pass because he has been SO good for us for most of the time that he has been here, way out earning his contract.
I was ripping all of the above in the game day thread, nobody got a pass, they all sucked royally.

Worst game by all in years.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yup, just looked they didn't want to play. Even Parise. Foligno tried, but unfortunately tried too hard and made some mistakes. Seeler, too...still liked his effort. Brodin was decent. Spurgeon a bit subdued. Ehh, probably should stop singling people out. Just an exceptionally lacklustre effort. Reminds me of those games during the Yeo era just before he was fired.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, after a terrible start where he had one point in 7 games, and looked like he could barely skate, Staal has had 13 points in the 9 games since. He never looks dominant, but always finds a way to get on the scoresheet. Sort of like a giant Pominville (back when he was good).

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Have a sneaking suspicion that Guerin doesn’t explore moving thus guy at the deadline

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Have a sneaking suspicion that Guerin doesn’t explore moving thus guy at the deadline

Yeah I don’t see us selling anyone except maybe Foligno, Pateryn, Hunt. I get the feeling when Russo says he thinks Guerin is fine with riding the wave, it means that Guerin plans to be competing for a playoff spot again next year.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Yeah I don’t see us selling anyone except maybe Foligno, Pateryn, Hunt. I get the feeling when Russo says he thinks Guerin is fine with riding the wave, it means that Guerin plans to be competing for a playoff spot again next year.
It’s possible that we push for a playoff spot if we add a decent center like Haula, and the young guys improve + Kaprizov. I don’t think we compete though. I just worry that if we don’t eat it while we’re down here until we aquaire a true superstar that we might just be going through the motions again.

Reactions: AKL

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I can't imagine we're significantly better next year than this year. Another year on the legs of Suter, Parise, Staal, Spurgeon, Zucc, and Koivu (if he's even here). Kap is coming and the young guys should all take steps but I have a hard time imagining we're going to take a significant step unless there is a Laf or Byfield involved.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I can't imagine we're significantly better next year than this year. Another year on the legs of Suter, Parise, Staal, Spurgeon, Zucc, and Koivu (if he's even here). Kap is coming and the young guys should all take steps but I have a hard time imagining we're going to take a significant step unless there is a Laf or Byfield involved.
Staying the course, looks like a top 5 pick is coming, so I don't see how a top 5 talent won't be involved.

Wait... we'll finish high (or low) enough to pick 5th, then 3 teams behind will win the lottery, and instead we'll pick 8th. :facepalm:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, by 2021-22 we're probably looking at adding...

- Kaprizov
- Boldy
- 2020 1st
- Khovanov?

...at forward, with a blueline that has a pretty good shelf life. If that 2020 1st is in the top-5 and one of the Iowa goalies pans out as a potential starter I don't know that flying directly into the sun is advisable. One really awful year might be all that's required.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
And even then, it's no guarantee the top 2 in this draft are instant impacts in year one, if we manage to get that lucky.

Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
And even then, it's no guarantee the top 2 in this draft are instant impacts in year one, if we manage to get that lucky.
Maybe not immediate impact guys, but as an example: say we do end up with Byfield and he's ready to play in the NHL next year. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to play him behind Staal for that first year?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Maybe not immediate impact guys, but as an example: say we do end up with Byfield and he's ready to play in the NHL next year. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to play him behind Staal for that first year?
Between that or trading Staal for another first rounder? The easy thing is to say trade, but I don't know, our last first rounder to make an impact on this team was Dumba, so... :dunno:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Would be nice to know what Koivu’s intentions are for next year. If we can re-sign him for another year or two at 3-4M, then he can shelter Byfield (if we get him). I would pretty easily trade Staal for a 1st at the deadline considering he’s got one more year here and we’re not competing either this year or next. Those are the types of moves we need to make.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Between that or trading Staal for another first rounder? The easy thing is to say trade, but I don't know, our last first rounder to make an impact on this team was Dumba, so... :dunno:
I vacillate a lot on Staal. I don't think this team completely falling apart for 3-5 years would be a good thing, and I think that Staal's kind of a keystone in several ways.

Would be nice to know what Koivu’s intentions are for next year. If we can re-sign him for another year or two at 3-4M, then he can shelter Byfield (if we get him). I would pretty easily trade Staal for a 1st at the deadline considering he’s got one more year here and we’re not competing either this year or next. Those are the types of moves we need to make.
Also a fair point. If you can keep one you don't necessarily need the other, and Koivu's got the NMC and stubborn streak. I dunno.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I believe Russo when he says a Staal trade is very unlikely. And if Staal has clicked with the lizard and Zucker, line has 30 points combined, it probably won't happen.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I thought Staal made it pretty clear that the Wild better keep any deals involving him incredibly quiet until they're done. No, Eric, you'll totally be here forever.

tenor.gif

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't think Guerin will trade Staal or Koivu unless they ask for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->