Player Discussion Eric Staal (The Frickin' All-Star)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Remember when Bruce said he would be our 1C going into training camp last year, and everyone was really skeptical about that and didn't really believe him? Good times.
I was not skeptical I liked the signing from the beginning.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
The money and term didn't worry me super bad when he signed but i would be lying if i said i didn't think he might already be done that first year. The crow has indeed been delicious.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I was not skeptical I liked the signing from the beginning.
I'm not talking about the signing itself, I'm talking about the fact that Bruce said he would be our 1C immediately. I don't think anyone expected that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not talking about the signing itself, I'm talking about the fact that Bruce said he would be our 1C immediately. I don't think anyone expected that.

As opposed to Coyle, Granny or Haula? Those were the only other possible options for a top-6 center position.

Call it 1C, 2C, or scoring line center it seems like more of a semantics thing than anything else. Plus MN was trying to sell the team to Staal at the time, so maybe a little overselling being done by the club. :dunno:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
As opposed to Coyle, Granny or Haula? Those were the only other possible options for a top-6 center position.

Call it 1C, 2C, or scoring line center it seems like more of a semantics thing than anything else. Plus MN was trying to sell the team to Staal at the time, so maybe a little overselling being done by the club. :dunno:
Koivu?

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He's been more of a 2C/shutdown type of player his whole career. Going with traditional line labels here. Not trying to knock Koivu here, but he was the Wild's 1C by default for many years. There just wasn't any other options except to him within the organization.

I did also say a top-6 center.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
He's been more of a 2C/shutdown type of player his whole career. Going with traditional line labels here. Not trying to knock Koivu here, but he was the Wild's 1C by default for many years. There just wasn't any other options except to him within the organization.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at, our 1C vs. a true 1C. You're right, though, it's all semantics and not worth arguing over.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Or there was the 60-70 points with Selke caliber defense.

Koivu was the center on our #1 line last year. Whether that made him the "#1 center" is semantics.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at, our 1C vs. a true 1C. You're right, though, it's all semantics and not worth arguing over.

Or there was the 60-70 points with Selke caliber defense.

Koivu was the center on our #1 line last year. Whether that made him the "#1 center" is semantics.
Yes, Bruce said Staal would be our #1 C last season... many didn't know who would end up #1 C last season because we didn't "know" what Staal had left, but at the price, everyone thought it was well worth the shot.

Yes, Koivu ended up the #1 C last year on a team that could match top lines with anyone and come out on top.

Yes, Staal is the CLEAR #1 C this season, a year later than Bruce predicted.

In the end, it doesn't really matter the path, just that it is the best signing this team has ever made. Suter and Rolston both second, and Parise - I'd still do again, because we may not have Suter without him, and he was absolutely vital offensively for quite some time before his back injuries... but looks like he may be getting back in form.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Staal signing has beeen bizarrely great. He would be worth it at twice the price. He's made his money, so I'm not crying for him. It appears that being on a team where he is not " the guy" has liberated him, and socially, I think he is a perfect match for Minnesota, Minnesotans, and the guys on the team. It seems like a small thing, but having his boys reach hockey playing age in an area where it's easy for them to find a good youth team and coaching close nearby( as opposed to having his wife drive and fly the kids around to games in Charlotte) must be a plus, also. There's nothing like watching your kids play when they are young.

Reactions: 63firebird

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Doesn't sound like re-signing Staal is going to be much of a problem, though I guess the term is a question mark:

He’s got bigger things on his mind right now than his own personal situation, but after July 1, the Wild are allowed to extend his contract. Next season is the final year of his bargain three-year, $10.5 million contract.

He’s found a good fit for himself hockey-wise. He’s found a good fit for himself family-wise. He doesn’t want to leave.

“At this point in my career I’m not in it to chase the dollars,” he said. “I mean, we’ll see what happens this summer. What the plan is. I love playing for the Wild. I love being here. And this has obviously been a good fit for me. I feel like I’ve got a lot of years left that I can continue and be a really, really good player. But there’s a lot of decisions. We’ve got a lot of guys (like Zucker and Dumba) that are up. We’ve got a lot of guys that are younger, so there’s decisions to be made. Like any offseason. But I’m sure some of those discussions will happen later this summer.”

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Love Staal... Just comes right out and says he knows Dumba and Zuckers contracts are coming up and that will affect what we can do to get better going forward, really happy he loves it here and looks like we should be able to potentially get another decent deal with him rather than asking for what he could potentially get on the market.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Love Staal... Just comes right out and says he knows Dumba and Zuckers contracts are coming up and that will affect what we can do to get better going forward, really happy he loves it here and looks like we should be able to potentially get another decent deal with him rather than asking for what he could potentially get on the market.

9 with 64= useless

64-12-16?
Generate offence. 4 shots in 3rd period won't cut it.
Score 4 and the rest will be fine,
Let 9 DEFEND. He has no finish.
Well Finnish yes but no finish.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Good article on Staal by Russo in the Athletic. Talks about how Staal has been worried about his status here due to trade talks, and how he has realized that the best way to advocate for himself to stay here is to play better. Also mentions how much he likes it here.

Pretty much what I figured.

Only surprise to me is that an informal poll by Russo of some GM's said that Staal would NOT net a 1st in a trade. That seems counter to what I have seen for TDL trades...hell, the Stastny trade last year, for one, the Hanzal for another, and both of those players, especially the latter, aren't in the same league as a borderline HOF'er like Staal.

If Staal doesn't net at least a 1st +, I say we don't trade him unless we REALLY suck prior to the TDL. And if we do make a run in Feb, with Staal leading the charge, then we keep him around, at those prices.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I was also very surprised to read that no one thinks he could get a first. Not even worth it then IMO.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's just Russo being played. Or, he's just talking out of his ass.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock in an anonymous poll of people that don't have any reason to be completely up front about their answers.

If Staal can't get a 1st I don't see much point in trading him, even if we can't or don't intend to extend him. I guess if the team really just tanks it from here until the deadline, but I don't think that's likely.

If we can get him back for 2 years at $5m-$6m I'd be happy. If he needs a third year to keep the cap hit in that range I wouldn't hate it. I can't imagine that going beyond 3 years is a good idea, though.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock in an anonymous poll of people that don't have any reason to be completely up front about their answers.

If Staal can't get a 1st I don't see much point in trading him, even if we can't or don't intend to extend him. I guess if the team really just tanks it from here until the deadline, but I don't think that's likely.

If we can get him back for 2 years at $5m-$6m I'd be happy. If he needs a third year to keep the cap hit in that range I wouldn't hate it. I can't imagine that going beyond 3 years is a good idea, though.

Ya, I think the GM's are not so subtly trying to influence the market by their answers, and/or indulging in wishful thinking. If Staal can't net a 1st, then the world as we know it is doomed. Age doesn't matter a damn for an expiring contract, AND his reasonable contract relative to his production makes him accessible to just about any team.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com

I agree. From what I read in the Athletic article, most GM's would not give us a 1st for him. To that I say, we don't need to trade him then. If the Wild miss the playoffs it will be decided right up until the last week of the schedule and far past the deadline. Besides I think we have a good chance to sign him next year for a reasonable salary. He's close to TB and his family likes Minnesota.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't buy it for a second, but if 1st are really that valuable, then Fenton needs to be looking to move his.

It's also possible that the Wild planted this BS with Russo so fans won't be upset when Staal isn't traded and the season still turns out like most expect it to.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Good article on Staal by Russo in the Athletic. Talks about how Staal has been worried about his status here due to trade talks, and how he has realized that the best way to advocate for himself to stay here is to play better. Also mentions how much he likes it here.

Pretty much what I figured.

Only surprise to me is that an informal poll by Russo of some GM's said that Staal would NOT net a 1st in a trade. That seems counter to what I have seen for TDL trades...hell, the Stastny trade last year, for one, the Hanzal for another, and both of those players, especially the latter, aren't in the same league as a borderline HOF'er like Staal.

If Staal doesn't net at least a 1st +, I say we don't trade him unless we REALLY suck prior to the TDL. And if we do make a run in Feb, with Staal leading the charge, then we keep him around, at those prices.

The market varies from year to year on what's available. Hanzal, for instance, was the best center on the market and there was nothing behind him of value. This season could see Staal, Panarin, Duchene, Stone, Simmonds, Skinner (maybe), etc all be available. All it takes is 1 team to want him enough to part with a 1st, but is there that team this year? A couple of Playoff teams that have already spent this year's 1st too.

Staal didn't get a 1st last time he was traded at the TDL. He's a quality player, but whoever gets him does so knowing he won't be on the team next season. Granny and Spurgeon are the only players that will get a 1st this year, partially because they have that extra season. Coyle gets a 2nd, Staal a 2nd+.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The market varies from year to year on what's available. Hanzal, for instance, was the best center on the market and there was nothing behind him of value. This season could see Staal, Panarin, Duchene, Stone, Simmonds, Skinner (maybe), etc all be available. All it takes is 1 team to want him enough to part with a 1st, but is there that team this year? A couple of Playoff teams that have already spent this year's 1st too.

Staal didn't get a 1st last time he was traded at the TDL. He's a quality player, but whoever gets him does so knowing he won't be on the team next season. Granny and Spurgeon are the only players that will get a 1st this year, partially because they have that extra season. Coyle gets a 2nd, Staal a 2nd+.
That's just an awful take. Both Coyle and Staal are a 1st + significant piece at a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad