Eric Staal or Alexander Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Rabid Ranger said:
Please don't compare Keith Tkachuk to Yashin.

Exactly, Yashin doesn't deserve that. I mean, he's actually been nominated for the Hart trophy before. Plus last I saw he's not carrying around a few extra rolls around his gut.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Mallard said:
Malkin > Staal (believe it!)
Ovechkin > Malkin

Therefore

Ovechkin > Staal

IMO
OK so this is Staals 2nd nhl season 2 yrs ago he was on the same very bad team. I will agree Malkin is better if in his second nhl yr he has better numbers than Staal this yr but until he comes and plays here i will not. Would Carolina trade Staal straight across for Malkin right now? I very much doubt it. Hell they would probubly have to think long and hard to trade him for AO. The only other younger future star they would trade him for is Crosby. AO is 20 big differance between a guy that is 18. I love all 4 of these guys but i would take them Crosby, AO, Staal and Malkin.
They all have superstar written all over them. IMO

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Mallard said:
Malkin > Staal (believe it!)
Ovechkin > Malkin

Therefore

Ovechkin > Staal

IMO

How can you possibly say with a straight face that Malkin, who isn't even playing in the NHL yet, is better than a player who leads the league in points right now?

Is any of this related to how "mysterious" that Malkin is because he hasn't played much on North American soil, or is this based on having first hand knowledge of Malkin's game and access to information that others don't?

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Epsilon said:
Exactly, Yashin doesn't deserve that. I mean, he's actually been nominated for the Hart trophy before. Plus last I saw he's not carrying around a few extra rolls around his gut.

Okay, okay! We get it! Tkachuk is a big fat bag of crap who couldn't show up to play in a playoff game if you paid him. Blues fans have already gone through enough already after watching Demitra and Pronger walk while, incredibly inexplicaly might I add, Tkachuk and Weight were retained.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Knowledgeable post there jcorb... also unbiased and fair... I'm huge on Malkin and would probably go with him at #2 there behind Crosby, merely basing it on my personal hopes for him... but of course he has yet to play in the NHL as these other 3 are.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Pete Rock said:
Okay, okay! We get it! Tkachuk is a big fat bag of crap who couldn't show up to play in a playoff game if you paid him. Blues fans have already gone through enough already after watching Demitra and Pronger walk while, incredibly inexplicaly might I add, Tkachuk and Weight were retained.

Did you mean Tkachuk and Doug Weight or just Tkachuk with his excess pounds??

Double O Soul

Apr 1, 2004
Raleigh NC
Its mind boggling how many people here say its not even close, that AO is a different league than Staal. They are both great players.

I know this is a prospects board, and everyone here has a hard on for youth, but seriously, Staal is arguably the best player in the NHL right now at 21.

But the good thing is the best has yet to come, from both of them

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I just find it very exciting that there is this level of young and gifted talent now in or soon to be in the league for all fans to enjoy for a lot of years. I'd even be more excited if any of them were with the Coyotes. :)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
moonstomper said:
Its mind boggling how many people here say its not even close, that AO is a different league than Staal. They are both great players.

I know this is a prospects board, and everyone here has a hard on for youth, but seriously, Staal is arguably the best player in the NHL right now at 21.

But the good thing is the best has yet to come, from both of them

I say give it a few months. The Canes are hot. I watched Staal put up like 7 pts in 2 games on a weak Caps team in a fairly nondescript manner. He has great chemistry with his teammates and he's very talented, but I've yet to see him take over a game like a Jagr or Lemieux.

Dr.Strangelove91

Nov 27, 2002
Tricolore world
Visit site
TheFinalWord said:
Staal. AO is a great talent, but he's more of an individual force. Staal will do more to make the team better. Perhaps Bure vs Francis. Bure scores a ton and has highlight reel moves, but Francis wins championships.

Ovechkin is the most complete russian hockey player I've seen since the younger Sergei Fedorov a decade ago. Plus the guy knows when to get dirty.

Dr.Strangelove91

Nov 27, 2002
Tricolore world
Visit site
EroCaps said:
I say give it a few months. The Canes are hot. I watched Staal put up like 7 pts in 2 games on a weak Caps team in a fairly nondescript manner. He has great chemistry with his teammates and he's very talented, but I've yet to see him take over a game like a Jagr or Lemieux.

Exactly. The guy has the points to his credit right now but eventually things will settle down in Carolina. Teams are going to start challenging him. We'll see how he responds...Except for his "out of this world" production I have not seen Staal play with the minds of other teams like a 20 year old rookie name Ovechkin...

Last edited:

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
WashJeffHockey19 said:
Knowledgeable post there jcorb... also unbiased and fair... I'm huge on Malkin and would probably go with him at #2 there behind Crosby, merely basing it on my personal hopes for him... but of course he has yet to play in the NHL as these other 3 are.

Malkin certainly has all the tools to be awesome from what he has done in the rsl.
Playing on the pens getting PP time with Crosby and Lemeiux certainly is not going to hurt. You wouldnt be to put off to have to settle for any of these guys. I cant see Crosby not being the best, he has all the tools and most important the character to be in that Lemieux ..Gretzky ...Orr bracket but he is no way there yet. Malkin, Staal and AO i think are a small step below. I can be bias because i drafted all except Malkin to my keeper league team. I like to look at players for what they are not who they play for. I grew up a Montreal fan but certainly appreciated the greatness of a Bobby Orr. I would of picked Malkin also but i took AO that draft. Malkins size makes him a very dangerous player so you very well could be right in picking him 2nd. I didnt realize how big he is until i saw a picture of him dwarfing AO.

AgentNaslund*

jcorb58 said:
OK so this is Staals 2nd nhl season 2 yrs ago he was on the same very bad team. I will agree Malkin is better if in his second nhl yr he has better numbers than Staal this yr but until he comes and plays here i will not. Would Carolina trade Staal straight across for Malkin right now? I very much doubt it. Hell they would probubly have to think long and hard to trade him for AO. The only other younger future star they would trade him for is Crosby. AO is 20 big differance between a guy that is 18. I love all 4 of these guys but i would take them Crosby, AO, Staal and Malkin.
They all have superstar written all over them. IMO

nice.

Malkin hasnt even played a game in the NHL yet. this kid is a still a prospect and they are comparing him to a Superstar, people are so biased is not even funny sometimes. I highly doubt Malkin will have 23 points in 12 games in his 3rd NHL season.

Randall Graves*

Caniacforever said:
How can you possibly say with a straight face that Malkin, who isn't even playing in the NHL yet, is better than a player who leads the league in points right now?

Is any of this related to how "mysterious" that Malkin is because he hasn't played much on North American soil, or is this based on having first hand knowledge of Malkin's game and access to information that others don't?
Because at this place potential is worth more than production, not even thinking about the fact that most prospects don't pan out.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
AgentNaslund said:
nice.

Malkin hasnt even played a game in the NHL yet. this kid is a still a prospect and they are comparing him to a Superstar, people are so biased is not even funny sometimes. I highly doubt Malkin will have 23 points in 12 games in his 3rd NHL season.
How is saying 4 players that have superstar POTENCIAL from differant teams and ethenic backgrounds be bias. Each of these players were the top or near to the top of their draft classes, many referred to them as future stars and or superstars. If you read my post you would see i picked Staal (whom you are referring to) as being MY choice ahead of Malkin but slightly behind AO. Call me wrong if you disagree but dont call me bias. I said until Malkin proves he can put up the numbers Staal is doing now in his 2nd NHL season i will not place him ahead of him. Many doubted Staals production this yr so why cant Malkin do the same? I just said until he does i wont say he is better.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
RallyKiller said:
Because at this place potential is worth more than production, not even thinking about the fact that most prospects don't pan out.

Do you think any of the 4 (Malkin,AO,Cros or Staal) wont pan out.

Steve Latin*

AgentNaslund said:
nice.

If Staal is already a superstar, then Brian Savage should fall in that category too. He's had some dominant Octobers ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->