Eric Staal or Alexander Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Kärppä32 said:
Who's that Ovechin fellow? :dunno:

OK people we need to clear things up.

I perfectly know who's Eric Staal. And I still said "who's Stall?" Doesn't it seem strange?

It was just a sarcastic statement meaning "of course I'd take Ovechkin!!!!!!!!!!!!"

SwOOsh*

roshiajin said:
how about old players?

Would depend which team you were and your needs, but there probably isn't too many I would take over him anyway.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
roshiajin said:
OK people we need to clear things up.

I perfectly know who's Eric Staal. And I still said "who's Stall?" Doesn't it seem strange?

It was just a sarcastic statement meaning "of course I'd take Ovechkin!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Because clearly the leading scorer in the NHL isn't worth much...

AgentNaslund*

Ovechkin easily. I dont even have to think about it. even if its Crosby vs Staal, it be Crosby. Staal is not in the leauge of Ovechkin, but that might change in a few years, if Staal continues to destroy the leauge.

Randall Graves*

Staal with a hatty tonight, I think it's pretty clear he's better than AO right now.

Randall Graves*

Mothra said:
I dont think anything is clear......the fact he is playing on a much better team plays a part......
Really? Before the season everyone had Carolina penciled in as a bottom feeder, it's not like the Hurricanes are loaded up front.

fact is Staal is near the league lead in scoring, so it's not a stretch to say right now he's better than AO.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
EroCaps said:
Ovechkin. If he played for the Canes, he'd be leading the league in points.

AO would have more points on any other team now wouldn’t he?

Stall had a hat trick yesterday and AO was one goal away from a natural hat trick.

Both are goal scorers and will lead their team in points by years end.

The third comparator, Crosby, has simular point totals but has 6 and 7 less goals then AO and Stall.

I prefer the goal scorers over the play makers and would pick either AO or Stall over Crosby.

Stall has a respectable 44.8 FO% and is therefor most valued to a team that needs a #1 centre.

AO plays both ends and is physical with a wicked shot and a shoot first mentality, for explosiveness and rebuilding a team AO is my choice.

Stall’s team is superior to the Caps and Pens and they have another star rookie in Cam Ward.

Ward might steal the Calder away from both AO/Crosby if his numbers remain the same and his team finishes either 1st or second in their division.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Yes..... Staal got a hatrick tonight.

But what you ignornat folk forgot to mention is that Ovechkin got 2 goals as well. Now, if you cared to watch both Staal's and Ovechkin's goals....

One would notice, Staal had the luxury of being involved in 2 on 1s, getting quality passes from his teamates, have his teamates have some input in keeping the puck in the offensive zone, and wasn't concentrated on personally by the other team's top defensive unit.

Not to say that the Washington Capitals are completely useless, but Ovechkin had a much harder night in terms of teamate support and which defensive pairing was concentrating on whom. Yet, he still managed to skate past guys from the red line and create partrial breakaways for himself on both goals.

Seriously, give it a rest: so far Staal is a young kid with a great shot who is playing well as part of a hot team... Ovechkin is a young superstar who is taking on teams (offensively speaking) by himself.

As the witty commentator said: "after the first Ovechkin lead the Lightening 2-1."

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
alecfromtherock said:
Ward might steal the Calder away from both AO/Crosby if his numbers remain the same and his team finishes either 1st or second in their division.

Ward isn't even the best rookie goaltender at this point. Lundqvist is outplaying him considerably up to now.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This is actually a kind of interesting debate. Throw Crosby into it as well.

It's kind of hard to compare the three, because Staal is not a rookie and is further along in development. It's likely a tossup between AO and Crosby for number 1, but Staal is closing the gap rapidly. It may turn into a 1a, 1b, 1c type of thing.

The thing with Staal is that he was considered to be a player like Francis who would get by on hockey sense, playmaking and savvy rather than any kind of physical dominance like speed or power. But I was reading that he added 10 or 15 pounds of muscle and looks to be skating way better than he was before the lockout. I haven't really gotten to watch Staal this year for a whole game (same with AO), so I'll refrain from comment.

But, Staal could surprise some people by continueing to remain in the top echelon of forwards when all these young guys are the premeir players in the league. And, not to get all cliche, but the future of the NHL playerwise looks very good. There are many good young players in the league not getting huge recognition, and there are quite a few rookies besides AO and Crosby having good first seasons, and there are also many more good young prospects on the horizon.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
RallyKiller said:
Really? Before the season everyone had Carolina penciled in as a bottom feeder, it's not like the Hurricanes are loaded up front.

fact is Staal is near the league lead in scoring, so it's not a stretch to say right now he's better than AO.

I don't want to take anything away from Staal- he's clutch. I remember hearing the Yzerman comparisons a couple of years ago and hoping the Caps would make a move for the guy. But he's playing w/much better talent at this point.

Randall Graves*

EroCaps said:
I don't want to take anything away from Staal- he's clutch. I remember hearing the Yzerman comparisons a couple of years ago and hoping the Caps would make a move for the guy. But he's playing w/much better talent at this point.
I think down the line Ovechkin will be the better player, but right now it's hard for me to pick against a guy leading the league in scoring on a team playing great hockey..I just wanted Staal to get some deserved attention.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Ovechkin relatively easily, Staal is a great young player but not on AO's level.

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
alecfromtherock said:
Stall has a respectable 44.8 FO% and is therefor most valued to a team that needs a #1 centre.

Respectible? Respectible? Your talking about Respectible? 44.8% is a horrible FO % for a #1 Centreman. Average would be about 53%, very good 55%+, anything less than 50% is just plain horrible.

Taking nothing away from his scoring or any other part of his game, but that is not a good FO% alec

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
RallyKiller said:

Well Carolina scored 8 goals last game and I believe Caps haven't scored this season even half of that in a one game. You know there was someone to score those rest 5 goals aside from Staal's goals, and that shows the team has a depth unlike of Capitals. Not to mention Carolina confidently beat Caps twice this season.

But looks like Staal is impressing this year in the way Malkin impresses in RSL. Both seems like are very similar players.

RoyIsALegend*

Jakethesnake said:
Respectible? Respectible? Your talking about Respectible? 44.8% is a horrible FO % for a #1 Centreman. Average would be about 53%, very good 55%+, anything less than 50% is just plain horrible.

He might be talking about what's respectable.

As for the discussion; Alexander Ovechkin, no question.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
alecfromtherock said:
AO would have more points on any other team now wouldn’t he?

Stall had a hat trick yesterday and AO was one goal away from a natural hat trick.

Both are goal scorers and will lead their team in points by years end.

The third comparator, Crosby, has simular point totals but has 6 and 7 less goals then AO and Stall.

I prefer the goal scorers over the play makers and would pick either AO or Stall over Crosby.

AO plays both ends and is physical with a wicked shot and a shoot first mentality, for explosiveness and rebuilding a team AO is my choice.

Stall’s team is superior to the Caps and Pens and they have another star rookie in Cam Ward.

Ovechkin is 2 years older and Staal is 3 years older than Crosby. You should take that into account when you consider who is better. This is also Crosby's first year playing against men.

And by the way, it's STAAL

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
jmelm said:
Ovechkin is 2 years older and Staal is 3 years older than Crosby. You should take that into account when you consider who is better. This is also Crosby's first year playing against men.

And by the way, it's STAAL

There were a lot of people who felt that philosophy didn't matter. That Crosby was just that good. I mean, he's a good player right now, but not a game changer. As much as he has been hyped, he certainly will have a hard time matching that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad