Eric Staal or Alexander Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Graves*

Both are future first line centers, so who would you rather have now, and in the future?

a few months ago I would have said Ovechkin for both, but now Staal is making me seriously reconsider...

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
RallyKiller said:
Both are future first line centers, so who would you rather have now, and in the future?

a few months ago I would have said Ovechkin for both, but now Staal is making me seriously reconsider...

Ovechkin is a winger......

I would take AO, but Staal looks to be a player you can build around too

Randall Graves*

roshiajin said:
1-who is Staal?
2-Ovechkin a center?
Your kidding right?

My mistake on Ovechkin, I thought he used to play center.

sudcity

Aug 9, 2005
Wow, this one is tough for me. I really like the way Staal plays and am a big fan of his, but Ovechkin looks to be real special offensivley. If I were starting a team I may have to give Staal the very, very slight edge for his leadership and all around game, but if this was fantasy hockey mark me down for Ovechkin. Either way you can't go wrong :)

Zetterberg4Captain*

Uh Alexander Ovechkin for sure but I would like to have Staal on my team too.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Ovechkin but Staal's play of late has made this a tougher question. I think in the long haul Ovechkin will prove to be more of a super-star.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Two of the best young hockey players on the planet.

I'd take Ovechkin though for his physical attributes, that's really where he sets himself apart from a lot of players his age. Staal is a great player, does everything right, but he doesn't have the potential (at least IMO) to dominate a game physically as much as Ovechkin does.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
I echo Brocks comments. I feel like this argument is gonna be a lot closer than it would have been a year ago. Eric Staal is an incredible player, but AO is a very rare all-around talent. I see the Ron Francis comparison as a very astute comparison to what Staal could be as the finished product, but AO is just a force of nature. From the games i've watched, AO is almost attained at the level Kovalchuk when attacking. That wild, unpredictable power that Kovalchuk plays the game with is what i'm talking about, where he just is able to combine his strength with his speed and incredible hands to render any defense impotent. AO is almost there, and he supplants that with a manic energy when backchecking, forechecking and playing defense. When you consider the rest of his game(great passer, great feel for developing plays and a killer instinct around the net), its a pretty clear choice in AO's favor, but I look at Staal as a potential top 3 center in this league.

Good for Carolina, because I think they have a very likable franchise.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Spectacular_Bid said:
Ovechkin but Staal's play of late has made this a tougher question. I think in the long haul Ovechkin will prove to be more of a super-star.

Yeah, Staal is playing really well right now but don't forhet the fact that he is in his second NHL season...

Oveshkin is still learning the NHL style so next year, he will be better than right now and everybody know that he's the best rookie right now so...

...OVECHKIN!

SoCalSharkzFan

Jun 24, 2004
The True Man's World
It's a dead heat with me. If we're talking about who would I rather have on my team, I'd probably take Ovechkin on my team. Then again we could use a center.

If I was building a team around who I picked? I'd take Staal. You don't build a team around a winger.

It's like saying: Who am I gonna build my team around (at same age): Joe Sakic, or Marion Hossa

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
If I was given one player to start a franchise around, I think I'd take AO, ahead of Nash/Crosby/Staal etc, winger or not. Well, or perhaps Luongo.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Staal. AO is a great talent, but he's more of an individual force. Staal will do more to make the team better. Perhaps Bure vs Francis. Bure scores a ton and has highlight reel moves, but Francis wins championships.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I think Ovechkin is a winger, but "future" ? Wow, if he's going to get any better, the future for him will be so bright we'll all be blinded.

And I'd go with Ovechkin over Staal.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
TheFinalWord said:
Staal. AO is a great talent, but he's more of an individual force. Staal will do more to make the team better. Perhaps Bure vs Francis. Bure scores a ton and has highlight reel moves, but Francis wins championships.

Ovechkin and Bure are only comparable offensively. Bure rarely backchecked and wasn't the physical force Ovechkin is. I repeat, Ovechkin is a team player, he doesn't float around center ice waiting for breakaway passes. I wish people would find a better comparison than Bure. How about this one, Forsberg, but with a shoot first mentality.

Oh yea, I choose Ovechkin, but both are very talented skaters.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
SneakerPimp82 said:
Ovechkin and Bure are only comparable offensively. Bure rarely backchecked and wasn't the physical force Ovechkin is. I repeat, Ovechkin is a team player, he doesn't float around center ice waiting for breakaway passes. I wish people would find a better comparison than Bure. How about this one, Forsberg, but with a shoot first mentality.

Oh yea, I choose Ovechkin, but both are very talented skaters.

I think thats as close a comparison as one can get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad