TSN: Eric Staal looking to return to the NHL after the Olympics, teams interested

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Should be a nice showcase for him.

Could be a great bottom 6 option in terms of leadership and steadiness for a ton of teams.

Reactions: banks

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If they’re serious about spreading the triplets out on three lines staal is a better C for Nylander on that 3rd line than kampf

I think just having a savvy veteran for random situations is better than nothing if he's going to be cheap. Better than an Amadio, Boyd or Nash, whatever duct tape player they have at 13/14 F.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes sense. Have a good tournament at the Olympics, demonstrate he's still capable, and there will be a bunch of teams who could do worse for a 4th line center.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I see Vegas giving him a shot right after the Olympics. After that they keep and sign him at a Vegas-friendly contract.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I always got the impression that he's not a fan of the Leafs.

I think he falls into the bucket of Leafs fans who became NHLers and took special joy in torching his boyhood team. But I also heard that during the pandemic he didn't necessarily want to be with a Canadian team, which proved to be false when he accepted the trade to Montreal:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/leafs-wild-dubnyk-dominance-1.3886475

"It was a team I grew up watching so I always have a little spot in my heart for the Leafs because of growing up with Hockey Night in Canada there in Thunder Bay and people there are Leafs fans, that's who they watch and I was no different as a kid," said the 32-year-old centre.
"Every time I get a chance to play in this building against this team or whether it's home or away you always want to have a good night and I've been fortunate to have some good ones and tonight was nice to be on the winning end of it."

Reactions: banks

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I think he falls into the bucket of Leafs fans who became NHLers and took special joy in torching his boyhood team. But I also heard that during the pandemic he didn't necessarily want to be with a Canadian team, which proved to be false when he accepted the trade to Montreal:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/leafs-wild-dubnyk-dominance-1.3886475

"It was a team I grew up watching so I always have a little spot in my heart for the Leafs because of growing up with Hockey Night in Canada there in Thunder Bay and people there are Leafs fans, that's who they watch and I was no different as a kid," said the 32-year-old centre.
"Every time I get a chance to play in this building against this team or whether it's home or away you always want to have a good night and I've been fortunate to have some good ones and tonight was nice to be on the winning end of it."
It's a shame Phaneuf isn't here anymore. Those Staal boys really didnt like him. I always liked the player (Eric) but I think he's done as an NHL player. I'd like for him to prove me otherwise, but the guy looks cooked. I'm just not sure what he brings anymore. Is he really an upgrade over anyone's fourth line?

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Pretty much what Boyle did and Staal’s 10x the player.
Boyle is good in bottom 6 role while I feel Eric Staal’s game requires a top 6 role to be effective and I don’t see him being that for any contender. Perhaps Bruins could give him a look like they did with Gionta 4 years ago after Olympics

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Boyle is good in bottom 6 role while I feel Eric Staal’s game requires a top 6 role to be effective and I don’t see him being that for any contender. Perhaps Bruins could give him a look like they did with Gionta 4 years ago after Olympics
Him Perry and Armia were actually pretty effective in a fourth line role in the playoffs last year.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Him Perry and Armia were actually pretty effective in a fourth line role in the playoffs last year.
Didn’t 7 out of 8 points come against Leafs and Jets in the playoffs? He had 1 point in final 11 playoff games. Did he tire out or was it because he was facing better competition?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad