Eric Staal, greatest player of hockey

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
BCC -need you to get to work on this PRONTO!

1st- we need the results of the eca (erik cole adjusted stats) as it pertains to our team record this year.

2nd -the PMA (paul maurice adjusted stats) as it would pertain to our record had he been fired a month earlier.

3rd-if you have time the RWA (ray whitney adjusted stats) just to see that with ray we would have been in the playoffs the last 2 years.

and would you also generate the relative dollars made/lost compared to increase in salary compared to the potential loss of playoff gate revenue!

i have a feeling these numbers are really going to embarass rutherford

Reactions: tarheelhockey

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
You know somebody says something ridiculous when even Chuck finds it too optimistic. :laugh:
No hard feelings, Chuck.

Haha! Well, maybe I am too optimistic. My prediction for next year (assuming we sign Parise or someone of that skill level):

-A return to the playoffs.

-Win a series vs New Jersey, in which we get every late goal and bizarre bounce.*

-Win at least one more series everyone says we have no business winning.

-Then, either get swept or go on to win the Stanley Cup.

*at some point during this series Staal gets the finger from some Devils fan.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Haha! Well, maybe I am too optimistic. My prediction for next year *assuming we sign Parise or someone of that skill level*...

-A return to the playoffs.

-Win a series vs New Jersey, in which we get every late goal and bizarre bounce.*

-Win at least one more series everyone says we have no business winning.

-Then, either get swept or go on to win the Stanley Cup.

*at some point during this series Staal gets the finger from some Devils fan.

So.....pretty much 2009 but maybe better?

There's only a slight difference between the two ends of the spectrum proposed on the bolded statement. Either get swept or win the Stanley Cup...no option for losing in 5 games in round 3 or anything?

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
So.....pretty much 2009 but maybe better?

There's only a slight difference between the two ends of the spectrum proposed on the bolded statement. Either get swept or win the Stanley Cup...no option for losing in 5 games in round 3 or anything?

Yeah I was sort of just riffing on 2009. And 2006, I suppose.

Who knows? Just to be back in the playoffs would be great....maybe beating NJ again too...:handclap:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The issue with talent around Staal is mostly relevant when he is off his game. When he's on it, it doesn't matter as much who's on his line (or on the 2nd line) because he can flat out dominate. When he's off his game (which we all know happens), the team suffers too much because of the overall lack of talent.

Back in the cup year, I remember a mid season stretch where Staal hadn't scored a goal in 8-9 games. The team never missed a beat though because Cole, Stillman, Brindy, Williams, Whitney, etc... were all there to pick up the slack.

Most players have some level of dry spells in their game (unless they are Crosby). The reason the team needs more talent is because we KNOW Staal will have down time and in order for the team not to suffer, there needs to be others there to pick up the slack. Also, I think Staal recognizes his importance and grips it too tight when he's struggling which makes things worse.

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
Must say I had a good chuckle on this one. I showed it to my son who has a mastersin statistics. He had the biggest grin on his face. He then said" I hope the coach doesn't get fired"

I actually agree with this. As I feel Staal is being used in the right way.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Must say I had a good chuckle on this one. I showed it to my son who has a mastersin statistics. He had the biggest grin on his face. He then said" I hope the coach doesn't get fired"

I actually agree with this. As I feel Staal is being used in the right way.

He plays with Chad LaRose and Jiri Tlusty, what else could he possibly ask for?

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
Eric Staal has 45 assists in 76 games.

His assists are on goals by:

Tlusty (6)
Faulk (5)
Brent (5)
Skinner (5)
Harrison (4)
LaRose (3)
Stewart (3)
Jokinen (2)
Dwyer (2)
Samson (2)
Allen (1)
Poni (1)
Dalpe (1)
Sutter (1)
McBain (1)
Spacek (1)
Joslin (1)
Ruutu (1)

To calculate the average goals scored by each individual player, we'd multiply each goal scorer's season total by the number of time Staal assisted on a goal by them (for example, Tlusty would count six different times as a 17 goal scorer, while Ruutu would count once as a 17 goal scorer, etc), then divide that number by Staal's assist total. We wind up with an average of 11.2 goals.

Now, let's compare this to HF sensation and NHL assist leader Claude Giroux (note: Henrik Sedin passed Claude Giroux in assists while I was typing this post):

Hartnell (21)
Jagr (10)
Simmonds (10)
Read (4)
Timonen (4)
Van Riemsdyk (3)
Meszaros (1)
Gustafsson (1)
Voracek (1)
Couturier (1)
Schenn (1)

If we apply the same formula to Giroux's assists, we wind up with an average of 22.7 goals scored by those players.

11.2 average goals by Staal's teammates divided by 22.7 average goals by Giroux's teammates = .49

Staal has scored 76% as many assists as Giroux while playing with 49% of the talent.

Adjusting Giroux's assist total to Staal's situation, Giroux would have 29 assists if he was on the Hurricanes, while Staal would have 91 assists if he were on the Flyers.

Calculating the difference in the playmaking quality of their linemates would be too exhausting of a process, but let's assume that the playmaking talent disparity between their teammates is equal to the goalscoring disparity.

We wind up with the following results:

ADJUSTED POINT TOTALS

Giroux - 13 goals, 29 assists, 42 points
Staal - 46 goals, 91 assists, 137 points

League scoring is currently at 5.44 goals per game. During Wayne Gretzky's 215 point season, league scoring was at 7.94 goals per game. If we were to adjust Staal's Giroux-adjusted point totals to that season, we'd wind up with Staal having 200 points.

So, Staal is on pace to have one of the top five adjusted Claude Giroux-adjusted statistical seasons in history.

:bow::bow::bow::teach::rolly::rolly::cheers::joker::teach2::teach2::sueme::surrender

member 157595

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad