Eric Perrin - The best NA player in Europe's top 6 leagues, ever

Is Eric Perrin the best ever NA player to play hockey in Europe (top 6 leagues)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
245 goals, 441 assists, 686 points - 0.81 ppg - (so far) all competitions,games while playing in Europe.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 42 (turning 43 November) is still playing at top level (4 points in 5 games for JYP this season)
and big contributor for his team on/off the ice.

He is one of the few NA players who is both Stanley Cup champion and European Elite League champion;
Tim Thomas (Finland), Brian Rafalski (Finland), Eric Perrin (Finland).

He is 2nd overall in all time points of NA players in European top 6 leagues.
1st is Christian Dubé, who played in his entire European career in the NLA (Switzerland)
- less of a league to Sm-Liiga/Liiga (Finland) where Perrin has played most of his European career.

At 42 (soon 43) he is the oldest ever NA player who plays and has played hockey at this level in Europe.
- he played his first European elite game September 23rd 2000.

Eric Perrin videos in Youtube

eric perrin - YouTube

Last edited:

GJB

Dr. Hook
Aug 12, 2002
Interesting player, was good friends with Martin St.Louis I believe since their university days, then ends up winning a cup with him.

You mention Dillon Dube, I can assume you had meant Christian. Just on stats alone I always thought Dube was a guy who deserved more of a shot in the NHL. He had 2 years in the AHL, being one of the youngest on his team each year and near the top in points, then leaves for NLA to never come back.

Just curious how did you look up all time points by NA players in Europe? Is there a site that keeps track? I wonder where a guy like John Holden ranks, another NA player who has played a lot of seasons.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Christian Dube, best known to me as a guy who had a picture of giant hot dog on his 1997-98 Upper Deck card, was probably a prospect that was a little bit negatively affected by the Rangers perpetual state of limbo in the post-1994, we-think-we're-still-relevant-with-these-40-year-olds mantra...

Then again, I don't really recall Dube's game to know if that was really the case...I remember having a somewhat positive opinion of him (unlike, say, Lundmark or Brendl) but it's been too long to recall the specifics...

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Interesting player, was good friends with Martin St.Louis I believe since their university days, then ends up winning a cup with him.

You mention Dillon Dube, I can assume you had meant Christian. Just on stats alone I always thought Dube was a guy who deserved more of a shot in the NHL. He had 2 years in the AHL, being one of the youngest on his team each year and near the top in points, then leaves for NLA to never come back.

Just curious how did you look up all time points by NA players in Europe? Is there a site that keeps track? I wonder where a guy like John Holden ranks, another NA player who has played a lot of seasons.

He is up there, but like CHRISTIAN Dube, Holden played his entire career in the NLA, (also scored less points)
nothing away from NLA, but Sm-Liiga is better, even though these days not as good league
what it used to be.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
dont forget Thomas in SM-Liiga has what equates to:

a Vezina
a Hart (1st non Euro to win the league MVP)
a Lindsay

as well as a league championship (and another runner up finish)

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
He didn't play for long in Finland, but he certainly made an impact - Carl Brewer (HIFK)

Another HIFK legend - Darren Boyko

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Gotta be one of the more unlikely Stanley Cup winners of all time. Looking like a Euro/AHL lifer throughout his 20's, with no NHL games played as of March, 2004. Gets called up to Tampa Bay late in the season and manages to fill in on the 4th line for a few weeks in April and May. The Lightning eventually win the Cup, and the 28 year old with one career point, who'd never played an NHL game 10 weeks prior, gets to lift the trophy.

Contrast that to captain Dave Andreychuk's journey to the Cup...

Reactions: seventieslord

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He didn't play for long in Finland, but he certainly made an impact - Carl Brewer (HIFK)

Another HIFK legend - Darren Boyko

For years Boyko had the title as the highest scoring foreigner in the league, but I think he got passed.

Boyko also played one game in the NHL, with the Jets.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Dale McCourt (point per game player in the NHL in the late 70s/early 80s) played for years in Switzerland, Mike Bullard (50 goal season with Pittsburgh in 83/84, 100+ point season with Calgary in 87/88) had a year in Switzerland and then a lengthy career in Germany through the 90s into the 00s. I'd say both had better peaks as NHL players than Perrin. Perhaps so did Tony Tanti who scored 40+ goals 3 times for Vancouver and then played in Germany as well.

And of course if one wanted to take it literally, you can't look beyond some of the guys who showed up during the lockout seasons. Notably, Doug Gilmour, Chris Chelios, Jeremy Roenick, Doug Weight, Glenn Anderson and Brendan Shanahan suited up a few times in Europe in 94/95. Rick Nash, Joe Thornton, Martin St.Louis and Danny Briere basically played full seasons in Europe in 04/05. In 2012/13, John Tavares, Jamie Benn, Claude Giroux and Paul Stastny among others graced Europe with their presence. I'm not sure if that's in the spirit of what the OP meant, but those were actually the best North American players to ever suit up in the major Euro leagues.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Dale McCourt (point per game player in the NHL in the late 70s/early 80s) played for years in Switzerland, Mike Bullard (50 goal season with Pittsburgh in 83/84, 100+ point season with Calgary in 87/88) had a year in Switzerland and then a lengthy career in Germany through the 90s into the 00s. I'd say both had better peaks as NHL players than Perrin. Perhaps so did Tony Tanti who scored 40+ goals 3 times for Vancouver and then played in Germany as well.

Yep, Dale McCourt came to my mind too. Todd Elik also had fine career first at Switzerland and then in lesser Euro leagues. I think he lead once playoff points with Kings and was second in one regular season with Sharks.

I would bet that Gaetano Orlando would have been force at any top Euro league at his best.

Perrin as great he have been in Finland his years in Swiss league and in KHL raise doubts. He is in the top tier group but not the best.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
The crazy part is he's still a great player at age 42.

Not to take too much away from Perrin. Great player. But the current state of Finnish league does help big ice talent to be on top of scoring charts at older age. Tomi Kallio at the age of 41 was voted the best player in league by players last year.

Even in recent years Finnish leagues has lost two teams that could put up contender (not talking about the success just about the resources). Those are lost but still league has replaced those and even expanded with three second tier teams. But thats OT.

Reactions: Make

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Not to take too much away from Perrin. Great player. But the current state of Finnish league does help big ice talent to be on top of scoring charts at older age. Tomi Kallio at the age of 41 was voted the best player in league by players last year.

Even in recent years Finnish leagues has lost two teams that could put up contender (not talking about the success just about the resources). Those are lost but still league has replaced those and even expanded with three second tier teams. But thats OT.

Oh really? Jokerit to the KHL and who else? Sorry I don't really follow Liiga closely.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Oh really? Jokerit to the KHL and who else? Sorry I don't really follow Liiga closely.

Blues went to bankruptcy few years ago. Now OK they weren´t good with the money.. but for close to 15 years they could build a better than avarage lineup to league. Last year all the three new "expansion" teams finished last. Kind of reminded me of the early 90´s nhl expansion. Just three teams that did not belong to league. and on the top of that because the league is closed (no relegation) teams that lose their chance to playoffs can sell all the players worth something at the trade deadline to save money for the next season.. but it´s OT.

Reactions: The Pale King
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
To me? I think what he's done is remarkable. Besides Chelios, Howe and Jagr, he is probably up there with long-tenured playing careers.

I pick him up all the time in EA and EHM.

Jyssy

Jan 2, 2004
Jyväskylä, Finland
"Eki" is a Club legend here in Jyväskylä. Scored the championship winning goal in overtime in 2012. Our best player every season he's been here including now at the age of 43. He's never been fast but is a lethal weapon on the powerplay still. He said he's gonna retire after this season. I don't know why because he can absolutely still play in this league. It's pretty ridiculous that Jarkko Immonen and Perrin were our top players in 2002-2003 season and still today.

Last edited:

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
"Eki" is a Club legend here in Jyväskylä. Scored the championship winning goal in overtime in 2012. Our best player every season he's been here including now at the age of 43. He's never been fast but is a lethal weapon on the powerplay still. He said he's gonna retire after this season. I don't know why because he can absolutely still play in this league. It's pretty ridiculous that Jarkko Immonen and Perrin were our top players in 2002-2003 season and still today.

Immonen that's a blast from the past as a Rangers fan. I still remember Perrin and his small role on TB back in 2004 for some reason. Had no idea he was still playing in Europe though!

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
He played in the IHL. There can't be that many active IHL alumni at this point, eh?

Not that long ago noticed that David Ling is still somewhat active. Playing amateur hockey and semipro. Last season 12 games in ECHL. This season 2 in LNAH and some more in ACH. Quebec Nordiques draftee.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Christian Dube, best known to me as a guy who had a picture of giant hot dog on his 1997-98 Upper Deck card, was probably a prospect that was a little bit negatively affected by the Rangers perpetual state of limbo in the post-1994, we-think-we're-still-relevant-with-these-40-year-olds mantra...

Then again, I don't really recall Dube's game to know if that was really the case...I remember having a somewhat positive opinion of him (unlike, say, Lundmark or Brendl) but it's been too long to recall the specifics...
I remember watching the 97 Mem cup and thinking that Dube and Pavel Rosa were going to be good scorers in the show. I was wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->