Eric Lindros/Would A Change From Center to Wing Have Been "Helpful" Following First Concussion?

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Hey everyone,

Hope you've all had a good weekend.

This post might be a bit of a "reach," but wondered your guys/gals' thoughts if a position change from Center to Winger following the Darius Kasparitis hit would've helped him long-term in the sense he could continue playing his supreme physical style lessening his risk of head injury/concussion? (with the continued assumption the skating with his head down problem would continue). I wanted to throw this out there with the thinking wingers maybe aren't as "wide open in the woods" as centers would be going through the neutral zone, and maybe less susceptible to the big hit? What do you guys think as far as how this may have worked with the Big E? Look forward to the feedback!-Jim

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I doubt that it changes much. I do think that Lindros' game would have translated very effectively to the wing, but he was still inevitably going to be the dominant puck carrier on his line whether he was at centre or wing. He's still the biggest target out there whether he's at centre or wing and he's still running around crushing guys. Perhaps in this scenario he just gets crushed along the boards instead of at centre ice.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hey everyone,

Hope you've all had a good weekend.

This post might be a bit of a "reach," but wondered your guys/gals' thoughts if a position change from Center to Winger following the Darius Kasparitis hit would've helped him long-term in the sense he could continue playing his supreme physical style lessening his risk of head injury/concussion? (with the continued assumption the skating with his head down problem would continue). I wanted to throw this out there with the thinking wingers maybe aren't as "wide open in the woods" as centers would be going through the neutral zone, and maybe less susceptible to the big hit? What do you guys think as far as how this may have worked with the Big E? Look forward to the feedback!-Jim

The Kaspar hit was him coming down the right wing and he took a few strides not even looking up before the hit happened. It would be weird seeing him as a right winger though. He still would have been banged around a lot fighting for pucks in the corner a lot more. I don't know if it reduces the amount of time he gets hit in open ice though as already mentioned he is carrying the puck lots regardless. The wing might take some defensive responsibility off his back more but that doesn't change how he gets hit, I don't think.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
If you look at the concussions Lindros suffered while with the Flyers, they all have one thing in common: Lindros' head was down on each one. And, with the notably exception of the Stevens hit, Lindros concussions occurred near the boards. So, I don't believe a change to wing would have made a difference since Lindros never learned to play with his head up.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad