Eric Johnson WILL be at next years WJC

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
According to TSN, he is already focussed on the Czech Republic in '08. He claimed that even if he sings with St. Luois in the summer he will try to get a provision in his deal where as the Blues MUST release him to play. I love it. Say hello to the captain of next years USA team.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
According to TSN, he is already focussed on the Czech Republic in '08. He claimed that even if he sings with St. Luois in the summer he will try to get a provision in his deal where as the Blues MUST release him to play. I love it. Say hello to the captain of next years USA team.

I believe the World Juniors in in Moscow next year.

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
Except for a few boneheaded plays....what a tournament for Johnson. It would be great to have him back.

DeathFromAbove

Jul 17, 2006
Is it really that ****ing hard to spell the damn guys name right.

Jesus christ, I know its a small thing but it pisses me off that these people have been in the media for months and yet some people still manage to spell it wrong.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Jesus christ, I know its a small thing but it pisses me off that these people have been in the media for months and yet some people still manage to spell it wrong.

:shakehead

get over yourself. If that pisses you off, you need to go find a ledge somewhere.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I love to hear something like that. It's great to see a US player who takes such pride in playing for his country. Hopefully the Blues will give him the opportunity to go for the gold.

Maybe guys like Mueller and Okposo, who some think are on the bubble for next year, will look at Johnson and make the same kind of effort.

wildone26*

That is great to hear. He is an incredable player, whenever the U.S has played Canada the last 2 years I am much more worried about what he will do then Kessel, Mueller, or Jack Johnson although they are great players. Every game he plays is exciting, he is a super talent.

BCCHL inactive

I would be surprised if the Blues go along with this. They will probably leave him in college to start next season if Johnson wants to play at this tournament again that bad, then talk contract next January to have him in the NHL for the latter half of 07-08.

The main reason for this, is I don't think the Blues (or any other team) would want to be the team to set this precedent. That, and I don't think John Davidson is the kind of GM to allow a player who has never set foot in the NHL to push him around on his contract.

Could you imagine if Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin told their agents to get this written into their contract? It wouldn't be pretty. If I'm a Penguins or a Capitals fan, no way would I want to lose Crosby or Ovechkin for a month over Dec/Jan. I would think Blues fans would think the same about Erik Johnson.

vbet*

St Louis will get pissed off and trade him to LA for Visnovsky. Then I see a new major team sponser.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
That, and I don't think John Davidson is the kind of GM to allow a player who has never set foot in the NHL to push him around on his contract.

I think the complete opposite. I think JD would be such a complete ***** that he would give in.

cgarn

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto

Ya right. The WJC or NHL. The choice is clear.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
In a contract? No way. If the kid is NHL ready, the Blues won't send him to the juniors. Look, the kid has got nothing to learn at the junior level if he makes the big club.

Montreal took the intelligent decision by deciding not to send Latendresse to the canadian team. He wouldn't have learned anything there that he can't learn with the real club.

All will depend on what route Johnson takes. If he signs and turn pro, you might as well forget about 08 in Prague.

fatsunny

Jan 22, 2005
Interesting idea. I hope he can pull it off. He wouldn't go back next year to learn, but to help America win a GOLD MEDAL! His passion to want to win for his country is what we need more of. He is a tremendous talent. A guy his size shouldn't have his offensive skills and skating ability. He will go down as one of the best American D-men ever, IMO.

AgentNaslund*

no such contract as if you sign me, you have to release me for world Juniors. Hes either commited to the Blues or hes not. Some player he is. Very good for team USA, but very very bad for ST.Louis if he happens to be an impact player for St.Louis.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I think that that is very noble from him. To me, country always comes first. An NHL team is just like working for a company, but your country is your identity.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal

wow...

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

That's what he says now, but c'mon the WJC effect will wear off here shortly and if he is in the NHL next season, that is where he will stay! The only way St. Louis lets him go to the tourney if he is playing in the NHL next season, is if he is barely playing in the NHL.

BCCHL inactive

I think that that is very noble from him. To me, country always comes first. An NHL team is just like working for a company, but your country is your identity.

You're also on your company's payroll. Their requirements come first if you want the job.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
As a big fan of college basketball, I can't tell you how many times I've heard this after a big loss in the tournament. "The loss really hurts right now... but I'm going to be back next season, I guarantee it!" Fast forward a few months later and the guy is getting selected in the NBA draft.

The reality is that Erik Johnson will likely do what the Blues want him to do. It's great that he wants to play for his country again next year but he'll likely be under contract for the Blues and it is with that team that his responsibilities lie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->