Eric Fehr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Any of you W followers out there seen much of this kid, and what's you're impression? I can only go by his stats, which are not bad, but really have no idea of what his potential is (1-2 liner, career AHL'er, or what), so could some of you experts clue me in?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
b-mad said:
Any of you W followers out there seen much of this kid, and what's you're impression? I can only go by his stats, which are not bad, but really have no idea of what his potential is (1-2 liner, career AHL'er, or what), so could some of you experts clue me in?

2nd line wing, 25-30 goals. great shot, and good playmaking ability.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
spoke with a season ticket holder from Brandon earlier in the year. He called Fehr "bluff tough". I was a bit surprised by those comments.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
I haven't seen him play all that much, but met him several times in Nashville for the draft proceedings and think he is a terrific person. Very earnest- clearly a small-town Manitoba boy. He seemed a bit awestruck by the bright lights, big city feel of the NHL festivities, but was genuinely honored and pleased when the Capitals drafted him where they did.

I think Caps fans will be very happy with him- he has fan favorite written all over him. Especially when he puts some muscle on that lanky frame of his.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
He reminds me alot of Shean Donovan here in Calgary in terms of playing style. He has more natural offensive ability though IMO.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
Only seen him like twice... but I love his game.

Well with now 42g 26a you can see he's certainly not afraid to shoot the puck (which is a nice change), and his 119pims show he's not shying away from contact. Considering he's playing probably 20lbs less than ideally his eventual weight do you see him more as a power forward/agitator.....ala Tkachuk?

I also like the fact that with nobody else on his team piling up points it looks like he has to earn the points he get's.

I wonder why he doesn't get more credit than he does?....is his defensive game weak or his skating suspect?

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
I've heard he is about as solid a prospect as they come, and probably a sure fire top 2 line player, but this is usually from fans of the Wheat Kings. I am looking for an unbiased opinion myself.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
b-mad said:
What's that mean?

means he plays scared. he shies away from physical confrontations (fighting) and during after whistle scrimmages he'll only do something physical if he has another teammate beside him or the refs around to break things up.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
b-mad said:
Well with now 42g 26a you can see he's certainly not afraid to shoot the puck (which is a nice change), and his 119pims show he's not shying away from contact. Considering he's playing probably 20lbs less than ideally his eventual weight do you see him more as a power forward/agitator.....ala Tkachuk?

I also like the fact that with nobody else on his team piling up points it looks like he has to earn the points he get's.

I wonder why he doesn't get more credit than he does?....is his defensive game weak or his skating suspect?

Everything about Fehr is low-profile, and under-the-radar. A promising young playmaking wing with a tremendous shot, with a good head on his shoulders; not talented enough to be marquee, too modest to make headlines, (drafted by the Washington "media blackhole" Capitals), and just skilled enough to dent twine a couple dozen times and turn everyone's head in a year or so.

He looked great with Semin at the WJC, even outplaying him according to a few fans.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
b-mad said:

If anything his skating is underated and his defensive game is above average for someone his age. He's not fighter and dosn't look for trouble but play's a pretty clean physical game. I think that he didn't get alot of attention last year because he was buried on a very good Brandon team and played a solid all around game. Washington has had some real good drafts recently so I wouldn't be surprized if he end up being a bit of a steal.

PigPen

Jun 25, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
He'll be a very good 2-way player in the NHL at either center or wing. A quiet star who would cut your nose off if it'd help him win. I don't see him as anything more than a 50 point player in the NHL though. Not that I'm knocking him, but a lot of his scoring chances are created by his linemates.

Biscuit Bullet

Feb 28, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
At his peak, he'll probably get 60 points in a season, with more goals than assists, and a lot of the goals coming on the power play. Possibly an Oleg Kvasha type player with better scoring ability but a little less playmaking.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
EroCaps said:
Everything about Fehr is low-profile, and under-the-radar. A promising young playmaking wing with a tremendous shot, with a good head on his shoulders; not talented enough to be marquee, too modest to make headlines, (drafted by the Washington "media blackhole" Capitals), and just skilled enough to dent twine a couple dozen times and turn everyone's head in a year or so.

He looked great with Semin at the WJC, even outplaying him according to a few fans.

I thought he got sent back on the last cut from the Canadian team? And outplaying Semin wouldn't have been that big considering the buerecratical <sp?> BS he had do go through with the idiot russians.

Anyway, I guess when you're a quiet guy on a bad team coming outta that draft class I can see how he could get overlooked.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
hbk said:
means he plays scared. he shies away from physical confrontations (fighting) and during after whistle scrimmages he'll only do something physical if he has another teammate beside him or the refs around to break things up.

Hmm, that doesn't sound too good. Wonder how he's leading his team in PIM's then......hope he didn't rack all those up from undisciplined play?

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
PigPen said:
He'll be a very good 2-way player in the NHL at either center or wing. A quiet star who would cut your nose off if it'd help him win. I don't see him as anything more than a 50 point player in the NHL though. Not that I'm knocking him, but a lot of his scoring chances are created by his linemates.

Well unlike most of the leading scorers he doesn't really have anybody on his team that has a huge amount of points....his teams leading assist guy only has 34. Given I'm only going by stats, it doesn't look like he's really gotta whole lot of help puttin up #'s that good. Then again, a big strong defensive forward who can put up 50-60 points (ala Zubrus) wouldn't be too bad. :)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
b-mad said:
I thought he got sent back on the last cut from the Canadian team? And outplaying Semin wouldn't have been that big considering the buerecratical <sp?> BS he had do go through with the idiot russians.

Anyway, I guess when you're a quiet guy on a bad team coming outta that draft class I can see how he could get overlooked.

oops, I meant the Traverse City tourney.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Bonzai said:
At his peak, he'll probably get 60 points in a season, with more goals than assists, and a lot of the goals coming on the power play. Possibly an Oleg Kvasha type player with better scoring ability but a little less playmaking.

A big defensive kid puttin up 35+25 a season on a line with Semin to even it out defensively would be sweet. Now if we could put a good playmaker in with them it could be really sweet.......damn, now I wan't Malkin even more....now that could be a nice line! :D

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
b-mad said:
If he shies away from confrontation and plays a clean game whats up with this kid gettin so many PIM's?

A power winger like Tkachuk will start trouble to gain himself time and room, Fehr dosn't do that (which is what I meant by pretty clean). I think that he's willing to go into the danger areas and fight for the puck. That's how he get's his PIM's, but for right now he's still a bit of a big skinny kid to be a real brawler. I beleive what someone else said about shies away from confrontation was referring to after the whistle (which I haven't noticed one way or the other).

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I was asked about Fehr a while ago by someone....

here is what I replied:

John Agar wrote on 04-24-2003 05:22 AM:
Quote:

"Fehr is a big boned, lanky kid with reach and a nose for the net. Goal scorers hands. He seems to improve every game you watch, the puck follows him around. Loves to drive hard and go to the net. Once he gets going it's hard to stop him. Lots of intangibles others don't have. Question marks: awkward skating/slow first step, needs to learn to balance himself off of others on the attack to be even more effective. Defense used to be a question mark but Coach Clark has turned that around. Player comparisons/upside - Nik Andropov/Tomas Holmstrom.

Is their ranking fair? Yes. My only change would be to rank Fehr higher as he seems to continue to be progressing at a faster rate than Stone and rates as more durable so far."
----
Today I would say his skating has progressed, he has begun to fill out, he has balanced off his game and he is, "bluff tuff" as someone said. Further to the "bluff tuff" - Fehr "is" willing to go into the tough spaces in order to make the play - he is not a coward when it comes to the front of the net or tight corners. I'll take a guy anyday who will pay the price to get the puck versus a "no handed fighter".

st_roland

Thanks hombre

John Agar said:
here is what I replied:

John Agar wrote on 04-24-2003 05:22 AM:
Quote:

"Fehr is a big boned, lanky kid with reach and a nose for the net. Goal scorers hands. He seems to improve every game you watch, the puck follows him around. Loves to drive hard and go to the net. Once he gets going it's hard to stop him. Lots of intangibles others don't have. Question marks: awkward skating/slow first step, needs to learn to balance himself off of others on the attack to be even more effective. Defense used to be a question mark but Coach Clark has turned that around. Player comparisons/upside - Nik Andropov/Tomas Holmstrom.

Is their ranking fair? Yes. My only change would be to rank Fehr higher as he seems to continue to be progressing at a faster rate than Stone and rates as more durable so far."
----
Today I would say his skating has progressed, he has begun to fill out, he has balanced off his game and he is, "bluff tuff" as someone said. Further to the "bluff tuff" - Fehr "is" willing to go into the tough spaces in order to make the play - he is not a coward when it comes to the front of the net or tight corners. I'll take a guy anyday who will pay the price to get the puck versus a "no handed fighter".

I appreciate the descriptive response. Do you know if he has any history of injuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->