Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
inline_resized_1024_5eff2f80cbd94_339280.jpg

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Knowing Cholo, we'll probably know after the first 20 games.

I'm still hopeful he can be OK.
Even a 3rd pairing, 2nd pairing PP guy would be OK with me.
It's really hard for me to forget how good Cholo looked on the PP to start the 18-19 season.
When he went 1-5-6 in 11 games on the pp and 2-6-8 overall.
Despite getting bumped off the PP and getting sent to GR, he still led the Red Wings defensemen in powerplay production, going 4-5-9 last year. No other D scored more than 1 goal.
Even after last year's weak season - here are the top Red Wings point producers on the PP over the last two years.

Hronek. 266 minutes. 2-13-15
Cholo. 223 minutes. 5-9-14.
Kronwall. 129 minutes. 1-7-8.
Green. 201 minutes. 1-6-7. Woof.

Reactions: RabidBadger

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's really hard for me to forget how good Cholo looked on the PP to start the 18-19 season.
Despite getting bumped off the PP and getting sent to GR, he still led the Red Wings defensemen in powerplay production, going 4-5-9 last year. No other D scored more than 1 goal.
Even after last year's weak season - here are the top Red Wings point producers on the PP over the last two years.

1Jj9.gif

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

3 out of the 4 can play defense.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Meh, I think he was hurt and certainly entitled to be worn down. But honestly from about December on Hronek played in a fashion that was extremely troubling. He was a dumpster fire after the New Year especially. I think he can get that sorted, he has better instincts there than Cholowski, but I think people are getting a little out over their skis on Hronek at times around here. He is far from the certainty our board treats him like at times.

Easily the first D-man I keep in this exercise though.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Meh, I think he was hurt and certainly entitled to be worn down. But honestly from about December on Hronek played in a fashion that was extremely troubling. He was a dumpster fire after the New Year especially. I think he can get that sorted, he has better instincts there than Cholowski, but I think people are getting a little out over their skis on Hronek at times around here. He is far from the certainty our board treats him like at times.

Easily the first D-man I keep in this exercise though.

tenor.gif

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Good retort

Not really a retort, more of a my lord that is bad when it is put out in front of you.

I knew it wasn't good, a part of why I have argued for a while Krug would be really important to this team. People talk about some of our scoring numbers and that really puts it out there, if you get absolutely no help from your back-end your life gets really hard. Mantha for instance gets better shots when Cholo is back there than anyone else in my opinion. The numbers back that up in terms of your post, he is basically there in limited minutes or partial seasons still.

Reactions: MBH

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013

The problem is that all of his scoring is predicated on getting prime opportunities on the power-play (Cholowski has spent most of his career with the top PP unit, unlike Hronek who has spent more time with the 2nd unit). For his career, he puts up points at a lower rate than "defensive" defensemen like Ericsson, Quincey, Marchenko, and Lashoff at even strength (and it's not particularly close). If the Red Wings find another defenseman who can take minutes on the power play, it's hard to see where he fits on the roster.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Cholowski's defense isn't good.
But he starts next season a year younger than Dekeyser was when he began his first full season.
He also doesn't have Datsyuk and Zetterberg as centers, or Babcock as a coach.
His goals against/60 was the same as Green's and substantially better than Bowey's, Hronek's, Daleys or Ericsson's.

His high danger CA/60 is lowest on the team.

He was sheltered. Highest Ozone starts and lowest Dzone starts.

I honestly thought Cholo looked as expected in the zone.

My problem with Cholo is the offense.
His goals for/60 is 1.39. When he's on the ice, the Wings don't score.
Hronek is at 1.91. Bowey is at 2.51.

And his own 5 on 5 defense is pitiful.

The only players worse than Cholo were bit players like Ericsson and Lindstrom. Cholo was at .11 points/60.
Hronek was at ,71. Bowey was at 1.11.

He was OK on the PP again last year in fewer minutes.

Hronek. 189 minutes - 1-9-10
Cholowski. 97 minutes - 1-4-5
Green. 117 minutes. 1-3-4

But for two straight years, Cholowski has been an offensive black hole that drives down production of everyone on the ice.

His 3 goals against/60 could be somewhat forgivable (like Hronek's 3.6 is) if he helped the team score at 5 on 5. But he doesn't.

Again. It's really hard to read a lot into these stats with our amateur hour coaching, with Jimmy Howard in goal, and a center corps that includes Glendening, Filppula, Nielsen and Ehn.
It ain't like Cholowski had any defensive stalwarts to be paired with, either.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Not really a retort, more of a my lord that is bad when it is put out in front of you.

I knew it wasn't good, a part of why I have argued for a while Krug would be really important to this team. People talk about some of our scoring numbers and that really puts it out there, if you get absolutely no help from your back-end your life gets really hard. Mantha for instance gets better shots when Cholo is back there than anyone else in my opinion. The numbers back that up in terms of your post, he is basically there in limited minutes or partial seasons still.

Oh my bad.
We need PP help. We also need coaching that can work with what we've got.
Cholow's opening of the 18-19 season was eyeopening.
But he just faded...

What's amazing to me is how bad Mike Green has been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad