Prospect Info: Eric Cornel (2014, 44th) – '18-19: Rochester #20 (AHL)

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Good sir, you forget Da Gawd Barbashev

I like Barbashev, and was pretty upset at the time that we took Lemeiux over him. He's a solid 4th line guy but I'm definitely not that bitter about it now.

.........my mind just had a mini-explosion realizing that Montour/Barbashev/Lemieux/et al were all from the same draft.

Seems like Montour's been around longer. Maybe I'm nuts.

You wouldn't think it because Montour was an overager at the time, he's two years older than Sam.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Don't feel bad, the whole 2nd round that draft was terrible across the board. The only really good player from it is on our roster now. Brandon Montour. :D

Brayden Point was available. Sabres passed on him twice in the third round too.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Brayden Point was available. Sabres passed on him twice in the third round too.

Everybody but Tampa passed on Point, I'm not gonna go revisionist history and say that the Sabres screwed up by passing on Point because he blew up out of nowhere. That's just silly.

Reactions: paulmm3 and Dingo44

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Everybody but Tampa passed on Point, I'm not gonna go revisionist history and say that the Sabres screwed up by passing on Point because he blew up out of nowhere. That's just silly.

The point wasn't to engage in revisionist history. The post I was responding to said the choices were "terrible across the board," which isn't true. There was also Ryan Donato, Warren Foegele, Christian Dvorak...

And Point did not "blow up out of nowhere." He had an excellent junior career, and was ranked 31st by Central Scouting, but size (or lack thereof) makes NHL teams dumb. It was a worse version of what happened with Alex DeBrincat.

I recall several people on this board calling for them to draft Point in real time. Maybe they were soothsayers?

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The point wasn't to engage in revisionist history. The post I was responding to said the choices were "terrible across the board," which isn't true. There was also Ryan Donato, Warren Foegele, Christian Dvorak...

And Point did not "blow up out of nowhere." He had an excellent junior career, and was ranked 31st by Central Scouting, but size (or lack thereof) makes NHL teams dumb. It was a worse version of what happened with Alex DeBrincat.

I recall several people on this board calling for them to draft Point in real time. Maybe they were soothsayers?

The people pining for Point are regularly told by some they aren't professional scouts, so what do they know?

So...

I hope Cornel does manage to chase the dream into something real somewhere. As a person, I wish him nothing but the best.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The people pining for Point are regularly told by some they aren't professional scouts, so what do they know?

So...

I hope Cornel does manage to chase the dream into something real somewhere. As a person, I wish him nothing but the best.

We need the next Sabres GM to be Marty McFly with his sports almanac from the future.

All the stud guys that fall on draft day will be Sabres!

:sarcasm:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We need the next Sabres GM to be Marty McFly with his sports almanac from the future.

All the stud guys that fall on draft day will be Sabres!

:sarcasm:

I know right? And then create all of the same motivations to make it that being passed over multiple times can have on a player. As well as making sure they get the same exact training and coaching. It's great that Point turned out and is a better, more complete right now than any of the 78 players selected by every team in the league taken prior to his selection.

And as a whole, what the league did in the second round of that draft was mostly a bad year. Most of that draft can be looked at as having been a bad year. It's why Point, and Arvidson, and Labanc all stick out so much since there are so many flame outs above them. Perhaps, just perhaps, the NHL did what it always does in drafts and there just weren't as many good players that year.

We've drifted pretty far off topic. :biglaugh:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Does this really shock anyone. I mean Cornel was an overreach in his draft year, and he could still sign an AHL deal. There are better options going forward and this wasn't part of Botterill's group. I'm fine with it. More Swede's!

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He didn't blow up out of nowhere though. Brayden Point is one of the best examples of how terrible NHL scouting still is. If you dig up his draft thread you will see how many people couldn't believe he wasn't looked at as a 1st round talent. He had a very similar draft season to Peyton Krebs where he had to carry a terrible team. And I suspect in a few years people will wonder why Krebs wasn't looked at as a top 5 pick.

Reactions: NEcoli

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Does this really shock anyone. I mean Cornel was an overreach in his draft year, and he could still sign an AHL deal. There are better options going forward and this wasn't part of Botterill's group. I'm fine with it. More Swede's!

I'm a little torn on the AHL contract idea - I have no issue with the non-tender. They need good pros to do the uglier work in the minors, which Cornel seems to have become. Yet, I wouldn't mind them using their ownership advantage to lock in an AHLer or two who are actually capable scorers on 2-year deals like what they did with Redmond. Cornel is not that.

Seems like only yesterday debating if they should sign him and Karabacek. Man, where does the time go...

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I'm a little torn on the AHL contract idea - I have no issue with the non-tender. They need good pros to do the uglier work in the minors, which Cornel seems to have become. Yet, I wouldn't mind them using their ownership advantage to lock in an AHLer or two who are actually capable scorers on 2-year deals like what they did with Redmond. Cornel is not that.

Seems like only yesterday debating if they should sign him and Karabacek. Man, where does the time go...

Not as bad as the debates on Klymentiev or Persson

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Cornel is going to keep plugging away. Eventually he'll end up on this list:
Oldest Debuts in NHL History - The 4th Line Podcast

Every once in awhile I go down the rabbit hole and check out who is playing in odd European leagues. If I couldn't make the NHL I would attempt to play in the DEL or Swiss League purely based on my love for those two countries...plus I think they pay the most outside of Russia and Sweden. It is fun to look into some of the other central European Leagues to find former high draft picks continuing their craft in the Old World.

Reactions: Baccus

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Every once in awhile I go down the rabbit hole and check out who is playing in odd European leagues. If I couldn't make the NHL I would attempt to play in the DEL or Swiss League purely based on my love for those two countries...plus I think they pay the most outside of Russia and Sweden. It is fun to look into some of the other central European Leagues to find former high draft picks continuing their craft in the Old World.

I think it's hard to imagine if you haven't ever been to Europe.

Frankly it sounds like a fantastic option over the AHL based on salary and lifestyle. Obviously you'd have to balance "making the big show" expectations.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I think it's hard to imagine if you haven't ever been to Europe.

Frankly it sounds like a fantastic option over the AHL based on salary and lifestyle. Obviously you'd have to balance "making the big show" expectations.

Yeah once you are on that train you pretty much are done making the NHL. Switzerland is amazing and I think the average salary is still around 150,000 - 200,000 CHf ....which I will confess...in a City like Zurich or Geneva might not get you too far. Still live comfortably, but not at professional athlete rock star levels.

Still, Swiss cities are awesome and some of those arenas like Davos would be really fun to play in. I actually have a family friend playing in Slovenia right now and he loves it. (Slovenia is another beautiful country, though the infrastructure is not as nice as Switzerland)

Reactions: Baccus

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Yeah once you are on that train you pretty much are done making the NHL. Switzerland is amazing and I think the average salary is still around 150,000 - 200,000 CHf ....which I will confess...in a City like Zurich or Geneva might not get you too far. Still live comfortably, but not at professional athlete rock star levels.

Still, Swiss cities are awesome and some of those arenas like Davos would be really fun to play in. I actually have a family friend playing in Slovenia right now and he loves it. (Slovenia is another beautiful country, though the infrastructure is not as nice as Switzerland)
I have a good friend playing in the Swiss league. He loves it and makes bank. Can’t fault players for opting to play in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad