Waived: Eric Comrie

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
So if he's claimed, we essentially traded Vili Saarijarvi for a rental during a stretch of games where we won two times and are dead last. Was Saarijarvi that expendable? Was this essentially a contract dump?

Curious what the thoughts are of those who watch the Griffins.

I've caught up to the Bakersfield games from a couple of weeks ago, and from what I saw before his trade, he wasn't bad. He certainly wasn't a standout positively that I could tell, but I'm mostly wrong anyway. I certainly wouldn't have done it

I'm more confused as to why they ditched Kaski, but again, I'm not a great barometer for player evaluations.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So if he's claimed, we essentially traded Vili Saarijarvi for a rental during a stretch of games where we won two times and are dead last. Was Saarijarvi that expendable? Was this essentially a contract dump?

He seemed like a never going to make it player to me. I also think that new GMs find it a lot easier to give away guys they didn't draft, as they aren't as invested in them or have history with them.

Reactions: RedMenace

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
If Comrie is claimed the person we sign/claim/trade for to fill the open roster spot created will be better than Vili Saarijarvi.

Reactions: saska sault

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Lol, poor guy.

Poor guy? Why? He returns to the team that drafted him and may actually value his continued development. Best landing spot for him. They never traded him to begin with, he got claimed by Arizona.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
So who do we use the open 50 man contract spot on?

If Yzerman was keen on sending Comrie to GR, it could be him... Sounds like the Jets will need to waive him again to assign him and if the Wings are the only team that puts in a claim, he's basically "cleared" and can go straight to GR.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Kind of was. Saarijärvi did nothing in these years.

We kind of have Wood now on his spot as 3rd pair RhD,

Saarijärvi --> Comrie --> lost on waivers.
free asset Kaski --> Kyle Wood.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
Poor guy? Why? He returns to the team that drafted him and may actually value his continued development. Best landing spot for him. They never traded him to begin with, he got claimed by Arizona.

That's what I mean, he's just moved around so much in the last year or two. He's much better off in the Jets system, I'm sure.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Lol, poor guy.
That's what I mean, he's just moved around so much in the last year or two. He's much better off in the Jets system, I'm sure.

There's probably good and bad for Comrie...

Just kind of hanging out with the Coyotes and not playing probably didn't do too much to help him establish himself or develop any further. Then when he finally gets playing time it's in the AHL with another team. Then you pack your bags to go to the worst team in the league where ultimately the coach says they really didn't care if they lost you or not, before having to pack up and head back to probably the worst winter climate in the NHL three weeks after being in Arizona...

On the bright side, Comrie's salary this year is two way that sees him make 3.5 times more when he's on an NHL roster. Considering the Jets haven't had to recall a goalie yet this year, had Comrie cleared waivers back in October and gone to the Moose, to date his income would've totaled around $82k-ish before taxes by now. However, his short stints with Arizona and Detroit afforded him his NHL salary for a good chunk of the season (and continues until Winnipeg waives him) and saw him bring home around $287k-ish before taxes and Escrow.

He got to enjoy most of Fall in Arizona and pocket an extra $100k+ , so I'm guessing he can't too feel bad?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
If Ken Holland would have traded a prospect for Comrie and then lost him on waivers, people would be rioting in here. :)

I agree with what you're saying but to be fair Holland was at the end of his rope. The state of the team was trending in this direction under his watch and he took too long to start fixing it. ( I say this as someone who thought Holland was doing well his last 2 years)

Yzerman on the other hand has just started and by default he has more slack then Holland. He also has produced a trade we all think is a steal (Fabbri for DLR). Being new and producing successful Fabbri like trades will buy him the benefit of a doubt when he misses.

Not really a fair comparison. (and again, I agree with your statement)

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
WTF does this have to do with Comrie? Holland is no longer our GM.

If you'd like to discuss Holland, there's a place to do it that doesn't drag threads off topic.

Ken Holland Appreciation Thread

It wasn't a discussion on Holland, it was a discussion on the fan base. Why is ok for one guy to give up a nothing asset for nothing, but the other guy gets dragged over the coals and people scream "bad asset management!!!!"?

Reactions: Henkka and ShelbyZ

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It wasn't a discussion on Holland, it was a discussion on the fan base. Why is ok for one guy to give up a nothing asset for nothing, but the other guy gets dragged over the coals and people scream "bad asset management!!!!"?

That's the point. I don't mind either but funny to see how it goes now. :)

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The "other guy" being Holland. So yes, it was a discussion on Holland and continued crying about how unfair it all is.

None of which is the actual topic of the thread.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That's the point. I don't mind either but funny to see how goes now. :)
You don't mind but you keep dragging threads off topic by whining about it.

Sorry forgot to add the :) which apparently makes it seem less like the trolling that it is.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Yzerman probably opening up a spot for another project player... Tis the season for giving almost bust players a shot at making a NHL career.. Or maybe leaving goalie spot open for Ilya Sorokin (I wish).

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
There's probably good and bad for Comrie...

Just kind of hanging out with the Coyotes and not playing probably didn't do too much to help him establish himself or develop any further. Then when he finally gets playing time it's in the AHL with another team. Then you pack your bags to go to the worst team in the league where ultimately the coach says they really didn't care if they lost you or not, before having to pack up and head back to probably the worst winter climate in the NHL three weeks after being in Arizona...

On the bright side, Comrie's salary this year is two way that sees him make 3.5 times more when he's on an NHL roster. Considering the Jets haven't had to recall a goalie yet this year, had Comrie cleared waivers back in October and gone to the Moose, to date his income would've totaled around $82k-ish before taxes by now. However, his short stints with Arizona and Detroit afforded him his NHL salary for a good chunk of the season (and continues until Winnipeg waives him) and saw him bring home around $287k-ish before taxes and Escrow.

He got to enjoy most of Fall in Arizona and pocket an extra $100k+ , so I'm guessing he can't too feel bad?

Oh no, absolutely, but just having to move all over North America has to be exhausting -- not to mention being a professional athlete.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
I feel bad for Comrie had hope in the kid to be a good goalie in our system he's moved around
a lot wich will probably hurt his play hope he has a good time in WPG though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->